HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I've never felt that grunfield has made any bad moves....we've had some horrible luck with injuries...when the players he has signed have played they've played well, it's not like he has signed players that haven't produced.
At their best under Grunfeld, the team was full of tweeners that didn't play defense (Arenas as a 1-2, Hughes as a 1-2, Jamison as a 3-4) and his team's have never had any toughness. I just never liked the makeup of any Wizards team under him.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't see why. He got rid of a mopey lockerroom cancer that has no explosiveness anymore, and saved around $20 million and an extra year of a contract.

This deal is good for the Wizards organization.

That said, Grunfeld wore out his welcome long ago. Never liked how he constructed the team.
The Wiz are trying to rebuild and trading Arenas for another bad contract and a guy who is far less productive defeats the purpose. No draft picks, no young talent, no expiring contract, and a in division move to help bolster a rival team. The trade is retarded.

Ernie has been crap ever since he took over and if Leonsis wants to build through the draft then Ernie is certainly not the guy you want.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
The Wiz are trying to rebuild and trading Arenas for another bad contract and a guy who is far less productive defeats the purpose. No draft picks, no young talent, no expiring contract, and a in division move to help bolster a rival team. The trade is retarded.

Ernie has been crap ever since he took over and if Leonsis wants to build through the draft then Ernie is certainly not the guy you want.
They weren't going to get anything other than another bad contract in return. No team was going to give up futures for that albatross of a contract. I'm frankly shocked that they were able to bring one back with less term.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
So, just finished Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings and really enjoyed it. It's gonna suck waiting the 15 years for the series to finish, however.

I'm considering the Mistborn trilogy next, but might go with the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Anyone read either one?
Read both.

I like both. I'm nuts about Sanderson, so I would say Mistborn (though book 1 and 2 are way better than 3 IMO) but they're both good. You can't really go wrong honestly.

As for Way of Kings, he's probably only doing 3 books. Probably 2 more with this set of characters (maybe 1) and then doing an offshoot in a different world.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
They weren't going to get anything other than another bad contract in return. No team was going to give up futures for that albatross of a contract. I'm frankly shocked that they were able to bring one back with less term.
Rashard Lewis is one of the highest paid NBA players in the game, more than Gilbert with only one less year than Gilbert on his contract. His game has seen a steady decline and he certainly doesn't provide the team with what they need, rebounding and defense. I would honestly rather have kept Gilbert or at least let his value go up, than trading him for a $18 million guy averaging 12 ppg.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
There's also a shot that they can move Lewis for a pick or at least just an expiring deal.

Arenas? They were always going to have to take something back.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Read both.

I like both. I'm nuts about Sanderson, so I would say Mistborn (though book 1 and 2 are way better than 3 IMO) but they're both good. You can't really go wrong honestly.

As for Way of Kings, he's probably only doing 3 books. Probably 2 more with this set of characters (maybe 1) and then doing an offshoot in a different world.
Has Sanderson changed his plan of 10 books in The Stormlight Archive? Can't really find anything on it beyond the Wikipedia reference, which was from 2008.

But yeah, I loved the world/magic/mythology he created in Way of Kings. It all worked so well with the plot and character development.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Rashard Lewis is one of the highest paid NBA players in the game, more than Gilbert with only one less year than Gilbert on his contract. His game has seen a steady decline and he certainly doesn't provide the team with what they need, rebounding and defense. I would honestly rather have kept Gilbert or at least let his value go up, than trading him for a $18 million guy averaging 12 ppg.
Gil's value isn't going to go up. He hasn't played a full year in 5 seasons. His game was built on explosiveness, which is all but gone now. He didn't want to be in DC at all.

Getting Lewis saves the Wizards somewhere around $20 million, and he'll be the #1 scoring option in DC, as opposed to the 3rd or 4th, like he was in Orlando. I'd say it's more likely his value goes up.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Has Sanderson changed his plan of 10 books in The Stormlight Archive? Can't really find anything on it beyond the Wikipedia reference, which was from 2008.

But yeah, I loved the world/magic/mythology he created in Way of Kings. It all worked so well with the plot and character development.
Wikipedia and his website say different.

He talked about the layout of what his writing plans were in his blog a month or two ago.

As far as he sees, he feels he "could" go that route with the Way of Kings, but that he's only committing to 3 at this point. He has a good plan for the next, and then wants to go another direction.

credit to red mosquito in an Entertainment thread: Here is what he feels from October.

BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOON

* Towers of Midnight (November 2.)
* Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (December 2010.)
—A note on Alcatraz. This is the fourth and final of the Alcatraz books in my contract. I do plan there to be more in this series, but I don't have time for them right now. And so, for now, this is going to stand as the ending of the series. I'll do Alcatraz Five eventually, I promise.
* Scribbler (Early 2012)
—A note on Scribbler. This is a shorter steampunk book I wrote in 2007, just before I got the call about The Wheel of Time. It's quite good, and Tor has decided to purchase it. It involves chalk-based magic and a boy who is the son of the cleaning lady at a school for people who learn the chalk magic. I haven't had time to give it a revision, but will likely use some of the time in my free months between now and January to do a draft of it. If I turn it in January or February, you won't see it until a year after that, due to scheduling.

BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOMEWHAT SOON

* A Memory of Light (March 2012.)
* Stormlight Archive Book Two (Late 2012 or early 2013.)
* Stormlight Archive Book Three (One year after Book Two.)

ANTICIPATED SEQUELS

* Alcatraz Five (Indefinite hiatus.)
* Elantris Two (Planned to be written after Stormlight Three.)
* Second Mistborn trilogy (It's coming someday, I promise.)
* Nightblood: Book two of Warbreaker (Coming someday.)
—Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you'll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won't be main characters. (Kiin's children will be.) Warbreaker is two books. Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies, with the second trilogy in an urban (20th-century-level technology) setting. For Stormlight, I'm planning a pattern of two every three years, with a different epic—a standalone, or one of the sequels mentioned above—in between. Thus the Elantris sequel is next in line after Stormlight Three, which would be followed by Stormlight Four and Five.

He has said he thinks Stormlight Archive could be up to 10 books, but he isn't sure.

Rationally, I think he's probably going to get a bit burned out of it, and if he does do it, he's going to basically rework it completely and abandon some characters.

Of note, he does have a 4th Mistborn book coming out now, as he wrote a short story and is expanding it.

Old
12-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Gil's value isn't going to go up. He hasn't played a full year in 5 seasons. His game was built on explosiveness, which is all but gone now. He didn't want to be in DC at all.

Getting Lewis saves the Wizards somewhere around $20 million, and he'll be the #1 scoring option in DC, as opposed to the 3rd or 4th, like he was in Orlando. I'd say it's more likely his value goes up.
Tbh I saw Gil's game slowly coming back. He was getting to the hole frequently, just having a problem finishing. His shot also seemed to be where it used to be.

The Magic essentially let go of Hedo back in '09 b/c they thought Rashard could carry the load as a #2 scorer, he couldn't. His numbers have seen a precipitous decline since his contract year. His value is near rock bottom, hard for his value not to go up.

Undeniable that Gil doesn't want to be here and that he wore out his welcome, I just don't agree trading him in division and for a trivial piece for the future.

Old
12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
txpd

wow...so maryland fires ralph after he wins coach of the year?? thats how you say thanks in this here USA.

Old
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wow...so maryland fires ralph after he wins coach of the year?? thats how you say thanks in this here USA.
I was shocked it didn't happen last year.

But they're getting a better coach in Mike Leach.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
txpd

Quote:

it really sucks when you outperform what the powers that be want you to. ralph was supposed to stink it up again this season. he was one good win away from ruining anderson's plans.

i feel bad for ralph. it stinks when your alma mater treats you like that.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
LadyIce

If Drew Carey ever leaves the Price is Right, I want Jeremy Roenick. He was great! The girl in the Showcase Showdown over bid in the final for the Winter Classic package with jerseys, hats, scarves, etc., tickets, hotel, car rental, Bridgestone tires and a new Honda. She bid $28,000 but it was only $23,000.

She did however win tickets to the Western Conference games for the SCF earlier in the show.

When JR introduced Ovie & Sidney, they received polite applause. I don't think TPiR crowd are hockey fans since most are from non-hockey cities.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

The new Lonely Island is freaking hilarious.

12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Steam Christmas sales are up. Lord help us all.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Gott in Himmell!

Awesome.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Foy

Quote:

They are getting the world's biggest ******* in Mike Leach. Any possible respect I ever had for Maryland football is gone if they hire him.

EDIT: Wow. That is a word I never thought would be censored.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
They are getting the world's biggest ******* in Mike Leach. Any possible respect I ever had for Maryland football is gone if they hire him.

Based on anything besides the stuff with James' kid?

Old
12-20-2010, 03:05 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That was going to be my question.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

I'd take him in a half-second for my team.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
My opinion of him was made up long before that. There was so much that may or may not have gone on there that it's hard to tell what the truth is. Between the way he acts in front of the media, to his lack of respect for other people in the sport (refusing to shake coaches hands, cussing out kids on the other team in the media), to the way he treats his own student-athletes (throwing things at kids on the sidelines on TV), he's just an all-around POS. If I had a son that was up for a scholarship, I would never allow him in my home to make a recruiting pitch. I was in Chicago last year, about this time when he got fired, and I'd never been so happy that a sub-human would no longer be employed.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't think Maryland cares about anything other than winning regularly. Leach is a doooooosh, but he's credible.

Old
12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
it really sucks when you outperform what the powers that be want you to. ralph was supposed to stink it up again this season. he was one good win away from ruining anderson's plans.

i feel bad for ralph. it stinks when your alma mater treats you like that.
It was the right move. You can't have a lame duck coach in college, which was the situation they were facing after Franklin (the designated successor) left, because of recruiting. Ralph isn't the long term answer there. After the first three years the program has been stuck between mediocrity and being bad. For the program to hopefully grow and advance to the next level a change needed to be made. The program just lost their best recruiter and having most of the staff threatening to leave. A move had to be made now. The University tried to handle this better with some more grace because of what he did for the program, but he acted his usual childish self.

As a Maryland alum I for one welcome my new pirate overlord.

Old
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
It was the right move. You can't have a lame duck coach in college, which was the situation they were facing after Franklin (the designated successor) left, because of recruiting. Ralph isn't the long term answer there. After the first three years the program has been stuck between mediocrity and being bad. For the program to hopefully grow and advance to the next level a change needed to be made. The program just lost their best recruiter and having most of the staff threatening to leave. A move had to be made now. The University tried to handle this better with some more grace because of what he did for the program, but he acted his usual childish self.

As a Maryland alum I for one welcome my new pirate overlord.
I agree with this. Once Franklin left Fridge was done. It got a little messy but it was needed.

Closed Thread