HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
yay

vCash: 500
I think Fridge would actually make a pretty good NFL QB coach. He's done a damn good job over the years with guys like O'Brien, Shaun Hill, Scott McBrien, Hollenbach - guys that didn't have a ton of talent, big arms, or 'athleticism', but won by playing smart and within the system.

I could see him as an NFL offensive coordinator in 5 years.

Old
12-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Leach is a good coach. If they can get him, he's a significant upgrade in a weak league.

They can actually compete in the ACC with him here.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Just went out and took several hundred photos of the eclipse. Tired, cold... crashing.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:43 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Iberia airlines had some ridiculous price mistakes on flights from NYC to Paris, Brussels, or Milan.

Now me and the girl are going to Paris for a week in March.

Anyone have any advice on what's worth making time for and what we should skip? Hotel/Hostel recommendations? Random general Paris tips?

Old
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Foy

avoid the Aloha Hostel in Paris.

Make time for the Louvre, and the big cemetary. Depending on the weather, try to picnic by the Eiffel tower in the evening.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay View Post
I think Fridge would actually make a pretty good NFL QB coach. He's done a damn good job over the years with guys like O'Brien, Shaun Hill, Scott McBrien, Hollenbach - guys that didn't have a ton of talent, big arms, or 'athleticism', but won by playing smart and within the system.

I could see him as an NFL offensive coordinator in 5 years.
Friedgen's a good coach and always has been. The problem is he is an abysmal recruiter and that is arguably more important in college than the ability to actually coach. It is what it is...

Old
12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Friedgen's a good coach and always has been. The problem is he is an abysmal recruiter and that is arguably more important in college than the ability to actually coach. It is what it is...
I also think as a program, they're hoping for higher aspirations.

friedgen doesn't draw the alumni and boosters like he used to. He doesn't get them on national tv.

He doesn't fire up the side to go face their rivals.

I mean, I don't really agree with the firing, and I think it's a case of UMD thinking they're bigger than they are, but at the same time, the ACC is so weak that if they put in a great coach and spend a bit more, they could make a mark. the DC sports scene is damaged enough that they could setup something big.

Old
12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Iberia airlines had some ridiculous price mistakes on flights from NYC to Paris, Brussels, or Milan.

Now me and the girl are going to Paris for a week in March.

Anyone have any advice on what's worth making time for and what we should skip? Hotel/Hostel recommendations? Random general Paris tips?
My parents were riding the expat gravy train and I had the good fortune to live in Paris as a student for three months a year in the Summers of '93, '94 and '95, with nothing to do but exercise and see the sights. Good times.

Depends on what you want, but going with your girl, there is no shortage of great excursions for couples. It's Paris. Paris, unlike London, has a lot of ways to stretch your dollar. You can certainly spend a ton of cash, but you can have a great time on a budget too. It was a great place to be a student without a whole lot of money on hand.

For the more educational jaunts, the Louvre is absolutely worth it. You could spend days there. If Impressionism is your bag, the Musee D'Orsay probably has the best collection in the world. Manet's Olympia, among many others.

Less well known is the Musee Cluny (Middle Ages) and the Musee Guimet (Asia, from Turkey to all points East). Both excellent. For museums, those four are outstanding. Look into a museum pass if you want to spend a lot of time at museums, because you can save a bundle.

On foot, traveling up and down the Champs Elysees is trite, but very worth it. Check out the Champs de Mars. The area around Les Invalides is also very cool. Walking along the Left Bank? Also worthwhile. See the Bois de Boulogne. You can walk through the sewers/catacombs, too, if you like. (Les Egouts de Paris)

Day trips? Versailles is amazing, mostly for the grounds and less so the interior of the buildings. Great place to take girls and a picnic. See the Queen's Hamlet. It's accessible on the RER (kind of a suburban metro system; excellent). You could also go further out, with a car, to see Monet's home with the lillies at Giverny.

Depending on your time and your access to a car, the Loire valley and the chateaux are totally worth it. A little further afield, Bourgogne (Burgundy) is amazing, centered on Beaune. Probably ambitious for a week's trip, though.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
As a fan (and alumnus) of a school with Dabo Swinney as head football coach, I respectfully disagree.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Roccoman

i liked the Latin Quarter myself, and Sacre Coeur was damn impressive as was the Notre Dame Cathedral. i ate rabbit at a place not far from Sacre Coeur - it was awesome.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

I heard on the radio that Byrd Stadium or "Chevy Chase at Byrd Stadium" or whatever they call that place struggled to sell out luxury suites. MD football has always been an afterthought to their basketball program.

At least 2 new coaches in the ACC next year, but I don't think any of them will come close to Beamer Ball™

Old
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I also think as a program, they're hoping for higher aspirations.

friedgen doesn't draw the alumni and boosters like he used to. He doesn't get them on national tv.

He doesn't fire up the side to go face their rivals.

I mean, I don't really agree with the firing, and I think it's a case of UMD thinking they're bigger than they are, but at the same time, the ACC is so weak that if they put in a great coach and spend a bit more, they could make a mark. the DC sports scene is damaged enough that they could setup something big.
I've seen written recently that the terps could be a yearly top 25 team if they get a big name coach that can recruit. Fridge always had pretty decent recruiting classes IMO it was the coaching schemes that held them back. Fridges play calling was just brutal before Franklin took over. The vanilla schemes of the defense was bad too with the DC before Brown (can't remember his name).
The ACC has been for the taking recently and every time the terps had a shot they punted it away.

Old
12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Roccoman

so this Thor movie... not sure how i feel about it. cast looks good, directed by Kenneth Branagh (who is more known for dramatic works) ... but if its bad, it could be really bad.

we'll see.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
WingmanCD

I was watching this weeks episode of Top Gear, and they are taking a road trip along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. They stop at a hotel in Virginia that's next to a track some cars are going around, and cut to this.

Is that the flashmobile? I can't remember exactly what it looks like.

Old
12-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
As a fan (and alumnus) of a school with Dabo Swinney as head football coach, I respectfully disagree.
Honestly I don't know what you are saying about Swinney here as I really am not very up to speed with Clemson. Are you saying he is a good coach but poor recruiter or good recruiter but poor coach?

I think Friedgen did a great job with Vanderlinden's players. But when those guys were gone and all he had were his own recruits he struggled for the most part.

In general I feel in major college football it is a lot easier for an average coach to succeed with good players than it is for a good coach to succeed with average players. Is that a universal? No.

Last edited by Millhaus: 12-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Honestly I don't know what you are saying about Swinney here as I really an not very up to speed with Clemson. Are you saying he is a good coach but poor recruiter or good recruiter but poor coach?

I think Friedgen did a great job with Vanderlinden's players. But when those guys were gone and all he had were his own recruits he struggled for the most part.

In general I feel in major college football it is a lot easier for an average coach to succeed with good players than it is for a good coach to succeed with average players. Is that a universal? No.
Swinney's a great recruiter, but very well may be the worst head coach in the ACC. This year, he took what might have been the most talented team in the ACC to a 6-6 record. There will likely be 5 guys drafted from that team in April, with on in the top-5. Last year, he had the best player in Clemson history (and one of the best in ACC history), and couldn't win a conference championship in a terrible year for the ACC.

Old
12-22-2010, 07:47 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Boise State in the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl.

how they have fallen.

Old
12-24-2010, 11:37 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Merry Christmas y'all. Hope Santa is good to you. Mom in-law got me a sweet Ovechkin scarf so the holidays are complete.

Take care, stay safe and enjoy the holidays with friends and loved ones!

Old
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
sk84fun_dc

Merry Christmas
... to those celebrating!!! Hope everyone has a great day.

Old
12-25-2010, 07:59 AM
wings5

Alexander Semin facial hair?

Serious question here i've always wondered this can Alexander Semin actually grow a legit beard? I know he's 26 and the answer should seem obvious but I've never seen any sort of indication he can.

Old
12-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Serious question here i've always wondered this can Alexander Semin actually grow a legit beard? I know he's 26 and the answer should seem obvious but I've never seen any sort of indication he can.
Attachment 42781

Last edited by Roccoman: 03-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old
12-25-2010, 02:43 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Pretty sure I grew up with Bruce Levenson, owner of the Thrashers, son. Just figured that out.

12-26-2010, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So, I got the newest generation Kindle 3G. It's frakkin sweet.

Old
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingmanCD View Post
I was watching this weeks episode of Top Gear, and they are taking a road trip along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. They stop at a hotel in Virginia that's next to a track some cars are going around, and cut to this.

Is that the flashmobile? I can't remember exactly what it looks like.
wait... the flashmobile made top gear?!? txpd, you have officially arrived.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Spent the day road tripping north on scenic I95 from the Lowcountry of South Carolina. So, yeah. That was fun.

Closed Thread