HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2011, 09:03 PM
  #101
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,549
vCash: 500
Sorry dude, that blows.

Chimaera is offline  
Old
01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
  #102
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
i'n the poker game of life women are the ####ing rake.


buck up little camper - yer free.

Roccoman is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM
  #103
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,843
vCash: 500
Short article, not a great one, on HBO's Game of Thrones progress to date. Some of the associated images seem to show Tyrion already at the Eyrie, so it's hard to say how rapidly they are planning to advance the story.

At some point, if this series is successful, they're going to come smack up against the fact that it isn't finished and it takes five years for each book to come out (or more), with three of seven still to come.

http://media.tv.ign.com/media/142/14298057/imgs_1.html

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
  #104
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,715
vCash: 500
Thank ****ing god:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...pool-part-ways


And on Game of Thrones, a couple of essential links:

http://winter-is-coming.net/
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 11:45 AM
  #105
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
absolutely amazed he lasted that long.

pgreene is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
  #106
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,260
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Just saw the Ovechkin sportscenter commercial. Classic.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
  #107
yay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Any HVAC techs lurking? or just really handy people?

Drained my hot water heater today - recommended by friends, maybe reduce the sludge buildup and get more than 10 minutes of hot water in the morning.

Now I have none in the faucets, and a leak on the intake (which I used a wrench to close prior to draining). I've tried reopening the intake, and water just spews everywhere. When I try to close it again, it just turns and turns forever, and the leak adjusts to a drip - varying speeds. I'm thinking i broke something when I closed it using the pliers, or when I tried to reopen it using same.

If I open the drain tube, water DOES come out, so I can't figure out why I have no hot water in the faucets.

Also oddly, when I drained it, not really that much water came out.

Seeing as how I have a date in 2 hours, this shower/shave is gonna suck.

edit - ok, clarifying and updating. I can stop (at least minimize) the leak by closing the 'Hot Water Shutoff' valve, located on the cold water pipe (?). But it seems to me that doing so would prevent the tank from filling...


Last edited by yay: 01-08-2011 at 03:58 PM.
yay is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
  #108
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
so my wife stopped by the craft beer store next to our dry cleaners to fill up the growlers. i asked her to get something light-ish--i'm a newcastle drinker, but wanted to shake it up. maybe a nice pale ale or something, if they have one that's not massively over-hopped.

she comes back with duck rabbit milk stout and foothills people's porter.

she swears they told her those were the two lightest beers they had.

i think perhaps she wasn't listening.

pgreene is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
  #109
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yay View Post
Any HVAC techs lurking? or just really handy people?

Drained my hot water heater today - recommended by friends, maybe reduce the sludge buildup and get more than 10 minutes of hot water in the morning.

Now I have none in the faucets, and a leak on the intake (which I used a wrench to close prior to draining). I've tried reopening the intake, and water just spews everywhere. When I try to close it again, it just turns and turns forever, and the leak adjusts to a drip - varying speeds. I'm thinking i broke something when I closed it using the pliers, or when I tried to reopen it using same.

If I open the drain tube, water DOES come out, so I can't figure out why I have no hot water in the faucets.

Also oddly, when I drained it, not really that much water came out.

Seeing as how I have a date in 2 hours, this shower/shave is gonna suck.

edit - ok, clarifying and updating. I can stop (at least minimize) the leak by closing the 'Hot Water Shutoff' valve, located on the cold water pipe (?). But it seems to me that doing so would prevent the tank from filling...
sounds like you wrecked the valve. which side of the shut off is it on? if it's on the downstream side of the shut off, you can shut off the water, cut it out, take it to the home center and get one just like it, and try to solder a new one in (they might actually have a threaded or compression fitting one you can use). of course, by the time you buy all that stuff, plus a torch, flux, solder, pipe cutter, emery cloth... you can save money and call a plumber.

pgreene is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
  #110
yay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
sounds like you wrecked the valve. which side of the shut off is it on? if it's on the downstream side of the shut off, you can shut off the water, cut it out, take it to the home center and get one just like it, and try to solder a new one in (they might actually have a threaded or compression fitting one you can use). of course, by the time you buy all that stuff, plus a torch, flux, solder, pipe cutter, emery cloth... you can save money and call a plumber.
Pretty much what I'm thinking - I just completely removed the valve, used a 64 ounce mug (best use of it since a fun night in Long Beach - mug & the beer for $13) to stop the water from spraying me in the face and inspected it - the piece going into the pipe is pretty corroded, and ends in an angle. No idea if that's normal.

Got someone coming out Monday, I'll let an expert do their thing. 3 hours on this today, no more time.

Thanks.

yay is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
  #111
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,629
vCash: 500
I can picture the plumber coming out....looking at the mess, parts, and water everywhere....grumbling "dumbass" under his breath....

LOL....this is why I hire people for everything.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
  #112
yay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Heh.. yeah, I'm one of those guys who is willing to try things myself. When I succeed, i feel great and that I saved a ****ton of money. Brakes, garage door opener... all things I thought 'hell, ill give it a shot' and it worked.

When I fail, it's often a glorious spectacle.

At least i didn't screw up the gas.

I think.

yay is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:54 AM
  #113
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Posted this at The Rink but I figured I'd post it here since this is my home forum. It's always been my dream to play ice hockey and this was during my first rec game.

"Had my first beer league game tonight! It was a lot of fun and we ended up winning 5-2. My wife decided to video tape my final shift of the night and she picked the best time to do that as I scored!

I'm really happy I had two pickup games under my belt as I felt a lot more comfortable out there."



And unlike Tikkanen I hit the net .


Last edited by blokeyhighlander: 01-10-2011 at 01:42 AM.
blokeyhighlander is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
  #114
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Posted this at The Rink but I figured I'd post it here since this is my home forum. It's always been my dream to play ice hockey and this was during my first rec game.

"Had my first beer league game tonight! It was a lot of fun and we ended up winning 5-2. My wife decided to video tape my final shift of the night and she picked the best time to do that as I scored!

I'm really happy I had two pickup games under my belt as I felt a lot more comfortable out there."




And unlike Tikkanen I hit the net .
congrats! that's awesome.

pgreene is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
  #115
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Blokey congrats. Can't see video at work but I'm so glad that I learned to play hockey as an adult. Obviously wish I could have started as a kid.

HSHS is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
  #116
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Interesting... a talkative, overweight, stubborn coach featured dropping F bombs on HBO put aside his attacking system in order to give his team the best chance to win.

Congrats to the Jets.

HSHS is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
  #117
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,820
vCash: 500
What rink is that? Reston?

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
  #118
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Don't think it's Reston. Looks like Ashburn to me.

Foy is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
  #119
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Short article, not a great one, on HBO's Game of Thrones progress to date. Some of the associated images seem to show Tyrion already at the Eyrie, so it's hard to say how rapidly they are planning to advance the story.

At some point, if this series is successful, they're going to come smack up against the fact that it isn't finished and it takes five years for each book to come out (or more), with three of seven still to come.

http://media.tv.ign.com/media/142/14298057/imgs_1.html
I believe I read some tidbit that there was talk of breaking a storm of swords into two seasons. But you are onto to something with the actual series not even finished yet and GRRMs glacial writing pace. Supposedly there are only 4 chapters left for him to complete... /shrug.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
  #120
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
i worry that GRRMartin has contracted Robert Jordan-itis... symptoms include meandering and increasingly complex subplots which take the reader further and further from resolution, and an overall lack of progress in the story as well as the storytelling.

in short: a writer with no clear idea of how to wrap up his tale.

Roccoman is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
  #121
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,843
vCash: 500
It's possible that a cattle prod up his ass in the form of HBO might actually get him to focus and produce, of course. The incentive being a hell of a lot of money.

The need to excise material to produce a coherent series for the small screen might actually solve a lot of the pacing issues in the books too.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
  #122
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,549
vCash: 500
he has written himself into a corner in some ways.

I do think he's going to struggle to finish it. Unless some significant changes are made.

Chimaera is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
  #123
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
its not as though he has not been writing - according to his website he has 2 books and 1 short story collection released since the last GOT book in 2005.

now i am sure some of that was previously written but i doubt all of it was... hope the $$ cattleprod works.

Roccoman is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
  #124
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
so is this series worth reading, or no? you guys seem a little ambivalent.

pgreene is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
  #125
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Don't think it's Reston. Looks like Ashburn to me.


It's neither. I just moved to SC. You can see a Cocks flag hanging up.

blokeyhighlander is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.