HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada icing 3 teams

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2010, 02:39 PM
  #26
Klaus
Teemu!
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
I think Heatley grew up in Ontario? Also It should be Eastern Canada team not Quebec since Crosby is from Nova Scotia not Quebec.
Heatley grew up in Calgary

Klaus is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
  #27
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
I think Heatley grew up in Ontario? Also It should be Eastern Canada team not Quebec since Crosby is from Nova Scotia not Quebec.
Good job catching Heatley. I was looking for place of birth when scanning my resources.

As far as an Eastern team, they wouldn't be competitive nor would a straight Quebec team. The Q team would be weak enough without breaking them in two. Again it's based on the same principle of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL

namttebih is online now  
Old
12-14-2010, 11:07 PM
  #28
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
I think Heatley grew up in Ontario? Also It should be Eastern Canada team not Quebec since Crosby is from Nova Scotia not Quebec.
Heatley is from Calgary. edit did not see it posted already.


Last edited by Alberta tough: 12-14-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Alberta tough is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
  #29
Joe Thornton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
I am surprised Brent Burns would be omitted as well.

Joe Thornton is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 06:46 AM
  #30
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario . Why's he on team Quebec?
take it from me , if you've ever been to Hearst you would have a hard time believing you werent in quebec or France for that matter

Isles72 is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
  #31
syc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not Europe
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
take it from me , if you've ever been to Hearst you would have a hard time believing you werent in quebec or France for that matter
Sweet so that means the Montreal born players are part of Team Ontario then? Looks like Ontario has a goaltender!

Or is this one of those things like the french language laws in Quebec? You know a one way street.

syc is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
  #32
bme44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
I've often heard people say that with Canada's depth (at the pro level), they could ice 2,3 or 4 teams that would be competitive at the international level.

The latest junior tournament where it is the Russian all stars vs all stars of the Q, O and W as well as the under 17 tournament (which team Canada ices 5) intrigued me.

Using those 3 leagues as a guide line (ei. Maritimers play in the Q) I've created 3 teams.

What I would like to know is;
a)Do you think that any or all of the teams would be competitive for a gold
b)Would you change any of the players

note: I've included Taylor Hall on the West team and a few others like him predicting where he'll be in 2014. I've also chosen Brodeur and Pronger for their respected team but It's doubtful that they'll be around then.

I've noticed that the W may be a little week in scoring, the O in Goal (unless Mason starts tearing it up again like he did in his rookie season) and the Q really week on D.

Enjoy!

ONTARIO
FORWARDS
Rick Nash Eric Staal Cory Perry
John Taveres Joe Thorton Steve Stampkos
Mike Cammeleri Jason Spezza Nathan Horton
Ben Eager Mike Richards Jordan Staal
Sub Jeff Carter

DEFENCE
Chris Pronger Drew Doughty
Mark Staal Dan Boyle
Brian Campbell Kevin Bieksa
Sub PK Subban

GOAL
Steve Mason
Michael Leighton
Brian Elliot







WEST
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau Ryan Getzlaf Jerome Iginla
Taylor Hall Jonathan Toews Shane Doan
Brendan Morrow Patrick Sharp Dustin Penner
Milan Lucic Shawn Horcoff Colby Armstrong
Sub Scott Hartnel

DEFENCE
Brent Seabrook Duncan Keith
Shea Weber Dan Hamhuis
Mike Green Eric Brewer
Sub Chris Phillips

GOAL
Cary Price
Chris Mason
Alex Auld







QUEBEC
FORWARD
Alex Tanguay Sidney Crosby Daniel Briere
Simon Gagne Vincent Lecalvalier Martin St. Louis
Guillaume Latendresse Brad Richards Michael Ryder
Steve Ott Anton Vermette Jason Pominville
Sub Matthew Lombardi

DEFENCE
Francois Beauchemin Kris Letang
Stephan Robidas Colin White
Jason Demers Marc Eduard Vlasic
Sub Bruno Gervais

GOAL
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Marc Andre Fleury
Patrice Bergeron would be on the Quebec team

bme44 is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
  #33
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario . Why's he on team Quebec?
Because he played all his Junior in the Q.

That is the point of this thread. Icing players according to where they play their Junior hockey.

The Canadian guys who played in US Colleges, should play on the team of the region where they are born or been raised. Like Martin St-Louis would play for the Q... Heatley (where has he been raised) and so on.

hey, Crosby would play for the Q ! So hy not Giroux then who spent 3 years playing for Gatineau

CanadienErrant* is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
  #34
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
Good job catching Heatley. I was looking for place of birth when scanning my resources.

As far as an Eastern team, they wouldn't be competitive nor would a straight Quebec team. The Q team would be weak enough without breaking them in two. Again it's based on the same principle of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL
And how about a BC team, or an Alberta team, or a Manitoba team... They would be weak too.

CanadienErrant* is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 11:11 AM
  #35
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
And how about a BC team, or an Alberta team, or a Manitoba team... They would be weak too.
Wow sensative! You missed my point.

On another note....

The Heatley thing made me think of Robyn Regehr. He was born in Brazil but would represent Canada. I looked it up and he grew up in the West. He wouldn't crack the deep Western D, man are they strong!

Can anyone else think of other players born elswhere that would represent one of the teams?

Good job catching Bergeron, can't believe that I didn't have him.

namttebih is online now  
Old
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
  #36
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Call me a homer but did you really insert some players without putting in Matt Duchene or Chris Stewart?

I know two things that shows, there is obviously great depth and I feel maybe one or two of the teams would be competitive. It also shows you'd pick players like Horcroff and Hall over Duchene or Stewart? Call me crazy but Horcroff is not Duchene and while Hall is good, it's still just his first year. Stewart should be a consideration on atleast one of your line-ups. Yes this shows depth but it also shows your missing some key players.
Duchene and Stewart are from Ontario and wouldn't make the team. Maybe on the 3rd line of the West for some scorring depth but is a moot point because they aren't from there.

namttebih is online now  
Old
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
  #37
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Because he played all his Junior in the Q.

That is the point of this thread. Icing players according to where they play their Junior hockey.

The Canadian guys who played in US Colleges, should play on the team of the region where they are born or been raised. Like Martin St-Louis would play for the Q... Heatley (where has he been raised) and so on.

hey, Crosby would play for the Q ! So hy not Giroux then who spent 3 years playing for Gatineau
Actually no....I didn't base it on where they played junior, it was where they were born. If C. Giroux felt like he could represent Quebec then so be it. Again since he is a french man from 'Erst and played in the Q. (like Heatley not wanting to play for Germany)

namttebih is online now  
Old
12-15-2010, 05:49 PM
  #38
Asquaredx2
Registered User
 
Asquaredx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
take it from me , if you've ever been to Hearst you would have a hard time believing you werent in quebec or France for that matter
France? They've got that giant Canadian flag next to the Husky.

Asquaredx2 is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
  #39
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,975
vCash: 500
All 3 teams look very strong to me!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline  
Old
12-15-2010, 10:08 PM
  #40
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
I was actually going to make this thread, albeit about WJC teams.

Team WHL/NCAA

Schwartz-Schenn-Connolly
Howse-Johansen-Gallagher
Howden-Eakin-Ashton
Hamilton-Sheahan-Vey
RNH

Cowen-Barrie
Olsen-Pysyk
Elliott-Murray
McNabb

Pickard
Brittain


Team OHL/QMJHL

Couturier-McKegg-Leblanc
Wilson-Hishon-Toffoli
Foligno-Cizikas-Beck
Werek-Bournival-Kassian
Strome

Gudbranson-Murphy
de Haan-Despres
Ellis-Blacker

Roy
Visentin

hfboardsuser is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 12:30 AM
  #41
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 50
This thread is the premier reason why I would never want to be the GM of Team Canada.
Having a heart attack just LOOKING at the player lists..

FROM A REGION.

Signature is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 01:03 AM
  #42
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
The same reason Heatley was born in Germany- it's where you grow up and/or what country you identify with
lolwut

The Expert is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
  #43
nlowry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
I've often heard people say that with Canada's depth (at the pro level), they could ice 2,3 or 4 teams that would be competitive at the international level.

The latest junior tournament where it is the Russian all stars vs all stars of the Q, O and W as well as the under 17 tournament (which team Canada ices 5) intrigued me.

Using those 3 leagues as a guide line (ei. Maritimers play in the Q) I've created 3 teams.

What I would like to know is;
a)Do you think that any or all of the teams would be competitive for a gold
b)Would you change any of the players

note: I've included Taylor Hall on the West team and a few others like him predicting where he'll be in 2014. I've also chosen Brodeur and Pronger for their respected team but It's doubtful that they'll be around then.

I've noticed that the W may be a little week in scoring, the O in Goal (unless Mason starts tearing it up again like he did in his rookie season) and the Q really week on D.

Enjoy!

ONTARIO
FORWARDS
Rick Nash Eric Staal Cory Perry
John Taveres Joe Thorton Steve Stampkos
Mike Cammeleri Jason Spezza Nathan Horton
Ben Eager Mike Richards Jordan Staal
Sub Jeff Carter

DEFENCE
Chris Pronger Drew Doughty
Mark Staal Dan Boyle
Brian Campbell Kevin Bieksa
Sub PK Subban

GOAL
Steve Mason
Michael Leighton
Brian Elliot







WEST
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau Ryan Getzlaf Jerome Iginla
Taylor Hall Jonathan Toews Shane Doan
Brendan Morrow Patrick Sharp Dustin Penner
Milan Lucic Shawn Horcoff Colby Armstrong
Sub Scott Hartnel

DEFENCE
Brent Seabrook Duncan Keith
Shea Weber Dan Hamhuis
Mike Green Eric Brewer
Sub Chris Phillips

GOAL
Cary Price
Chris Mason
Alex Auld







QUEBEC
FORWARD
Alex Tanguay Sidney Crosby Daniel Briere
Simon Gagne Vincent Lecalvalier Martin St. Louis
Guillaume Latendresse Brad Richards Michael Ryder
Steve Ott Anton Vermette Jason Pominville
Sub Matthew Lombardi

DEFENCE
Francois Beauchemin Kris Letang
Stephan Robidas Colin White
Jason Demers Marc Eduard Vlasic
Sub Bruno Gervais

GOAL
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Marc Andre Fleury
Not bad....these are a few of the changes i would make, presuming you're building the team with the expectation to compete in Sochi.

I'd put James Neal on the 4th line for team Ontario over Ben Eager.
I would include Eberle and Evander Kane in the west instead of Iggy (he'll be 37) and Morrow (again too old 4 years from now)
Brent Burns/Mark Giordano/Josh Gorges (anybody) in Ontario instead of Bieksa

Is there really nobody better than Beauchemin? I can't think of anyone...but there has to be someone

nlowry is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 10:55 AM
  #44
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
But now the problem lies, is Canada the strongest country? Would be interesting to sweep a podium, but any team might not make it that far


Last edited by CrAzYNiNe: 12-16-2010 at 11:03 AM.
CrAzYNiNe is online now  
Old
12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
  #45
biffs
Registered User
 
biffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: www.failrun.com
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Nobody wants to play for quebec. rename it East

biffs is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
  #46
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowry View Post
Not bad....these are a few of the changes i would make, presuming you're building the team with the expectation to compete in Sochi.

I'd put James Neal on the 4th line for team Ontario over Ben Eager.
I would include Eberle and Evander Kane in the west instead of Iggy (he'll be 37) and Morrow (again too old 4 years from now)
Brent Burns/Mark Giordano/Josh Gorges (anybody) in Ontario instead of Bieksa

Is there really nobody better than Beauchemin? I can't think of anyone...but there has to be someone
There are only 7 Defencemen in the league born in Quebec/East and they are all on the list...seriously

Kind of like Team Ontario's Goal. There are very few Ontario born NHL goalies out there.

namttebih is online now  
Old
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
  #47
verkessel
Registered User
 
verkessel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
why would Hall be on team West?

verkessel is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 01:21 PM
  #48
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
A Team Quebec made up of NHL players, that does not include David Perron, is a travesty.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
12-16-2010, 01:23 PM
  #49
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
But now the problem lies, is Canada the strongest country? Would be interesting to sweep a podium, but any team might not make it that far
Canada has by far the most depth, but when it's truly "best on best" the advantage shrinks considerably.

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
  #50
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verkessel View Post
why would Hall be on team West?
Because he's from Calgary.

Based on where they are from not from where they played junior.

namttebih is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.