HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust might be one of our most valuable players...

Old
12-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Brandon Prust might be one of our most valuable players...

In terms of value to the team, I think Brandon Prust is way up there. He is a legit middleweight, one of the better ones in the league, who can forecheck with the best of them, and has very good hockey sense for a guy who doesnt have the best hands. Personally this is a guy I would think about including when we talk about our "core"...a guy id like to see in Ranger blue for a long time. I cant remember the last time we had a guy like this...I mean Ryan Hollweg was an OK fighter, but was a detriment to the team because of his constant bad penalties and inability to play the actual game of hockey. Prust is a legit 3rd-4th liner in the NHL who brings his A game every single night, can kill penalties, almost never takes bad penalties, hits, fights....love this kid...easily the best player in the Jokinen deal imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Ail
k.

I thank Calgary every time he takes a shift. If I was building a cup-contender tomorrow, I would want him on it. (Assuming you're not able to just load it up with all-stars.)

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

I am grateful for Prust…. I’m so over Orr now…. Thank you Brandon….

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Jxmarts

Toughness in a player who can also play a regular shift is invaluable... much more than what appears in the stat sheet. Prust reminds me of Kris King and Matt Barnaby in that regard. It's not an easy combo to find.

It's a different position, but it's why I welcomed picking McIlrath last summer. It'd be nice to have that "Prust" kind of edge on the backline as well, which we've been missing since the days of Jeff Beukeboom & Jay Wells.

Last edited by Jxmarts: 12-14-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
MSG the place to be*

Its an interesting topic. Whats more important a perfect 4th liner or an ordinary secondary scorer?

Prust has been the most consistently hard working player on this team, even more than Cally. He brings life to the team no doubt about it. He is a willing and damn good fighter.

Having said that his hands are atrocious. The good news is that as the season is going on hes learning what he has to do more and more and his lack of hands is becoming less noticeable.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
WOW I said this at the beging of the season and was blasted. You guys need to really give credit to old school Muckers more often and this kid is a perfect example of a coach getting the best out of a player. Prust s gaining more confidence every game

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
ohbaby

Callahan will not win the Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award. The two-time winner will lose out to Brandon Prust this year. He's been Awesome!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
GAGLine

Brandon Prust 32 games 4 goals 8 assists +4
Olli Jokinen 28 games 4 goals 8 assists -7

It still blows my mind that Sutter re-signed Jokinen.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:32 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Great role player, but belongs on our 4th line next season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
I thank Calgary every time he takes a shift. If I was building a cup-contender tomorrow, I would want him on it. (Assuming you're not able to just load it up with all-stars.)
What a steal of trade by Sather.. I have no idea how he persuades other GM's to make trades..

Getting rid of the Kotalik salary and then getting Prust and a rental in Jokinen last year was pure genius.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:03 PM
MorrisWanchuk

+ he's valuable on the PK.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:36 PM
eco's bones

Prust doesn't have all the skills that Adam Graves had but that's the player more than any other he reminds me of. He doesn't have great hands but what he does have is great hockey sense and is great at doing the grunt work. He also sticks up for his teammates the way Adam did. Prust was a wonderful addition to our team last year and Sutter was a moron for letting him go. I don't what the hell he could have been thinking.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Prust doesn't have all the skills that Adam Graves had but that's the player more than any other he reminds me of. He doesn't have great hands but what he does have is great hockey sense and is great at doing the grunt work. He also sticks up for his teammates the way Adam did. Prust was a wonderful addition to our team last year and Sutter was a moron for letting him go. I don't what the hell he could have been thinking.
More then Graves Prust is a Kris King Player. he fights he hits and he is a amazing teammate. Kris King was all of this and more.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Choice

He's good for a fourth liner, like a better Hollweg.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
NYR Viper

When the trade first happened I said he would be the best player in the trade and that we as fans would come to love watching him play. The guy is all guts and heart. His teammates love him and he 100% deserves to be in the Rangers core. Its not easy to find a player who can play the game and fight well while not taking dumb penalties.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I was gonna say the same thing. He's like a Hollweg who isn't a moron on the ice.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I remember his first shift as a Ranger and that's when I fell in love with his game. Hasn't changed since.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Wayyyyyy better than Hollweg. At least Prust can think with his head and put the puck in the net occasionally.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Wayyyyyy better than Hollweg. At least Prust can think with his head and put the puck in the net occasionally.
Yes. waaaaayyyyyyyy better.

Much value in a guy who has opposition defensemen flinching every time they go into the corner.

we needed this

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
When the trade first happened I said he would be the best player in the trade and that we as fans would come to love watching him play. The guy is all guts and heart. His teammates love him and he 100% deserves to be in the Rangers core. Its not easy to find a player who can play the game and fight well while not taking dumb penalties.
totally agree with that statement....especially the dumb penalties...its rare to find players who can walk that tightrope so well, and Prust is a master at it...you almost NEVER see him take stupid penalties. He's only taken 8 minor penalties this season in 32 games played. That's remarkable considering he has 70 hits and is such a demon on the forecheck.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
agreed...I mean if you compare Hollweg and Prust heres how i would go.

Speed: Even
Fighting: Prust
Forechecking: Even (maybe Edge Prust)
Defensive awareness: Prust
Offensive awareness: Prust
Hitting: Hollweg
Hockey Sense: Prust
Hands: Even
Board Play: Prust

pretty much every other metric would be Prust.

if he could work o

Old
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
In terms of value to the team, I think Brandon Prust is way up there. He is a legit middleweight, one of the better ones in the league, who can forecheck with the best of them, and has very good hockey sense for a guy who doesnt have the best hands. Personally this is a guy I would think about including when we talk about our "core"...a guy id like to see in Ranger blue for a long time. I cant remember the last time we had a guy like this...I mean Ryan Hollweg was an OK fighter, but was a detriment to the team because of his constant bad penalties and inability to play the actual game of hockey. Prust is a legit 3rd-4th liner in the NHL who brings his A game every single night, can kill penalties, almost never takes bad penalties, hits, fights....love this kid...easily the best player in the Jokinen deal imho.
Agree. Great pickup by Slats. Calgary and Phoenix didnt give him enough of a chance. Hes really showing it in NY and his style of play really fits this city and team concept.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:35 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
More then Graves Prust is a Kris King Player. he fights he hits and he is a amazing teammate. Kris King was all of this and more.
except Kris King would always shoot high and wide!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Brandon Prust already has as many points this season than Hollweg did his entire career as a Ranger. On pace for 30 pts. That is the ideal amount of production you want to see out of a 4th liner. I could ask for just a little more from a 3rd liner but not bad production either. Way better than Hollweg. Hollweg had lots of negative aspects to his game which detracted from his few contributions. Prust is all positives.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:43 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
except Kris King would always shoot high and wide!
haha yeah he would...

great comparison, though... he was a good Ranger from the early days of my fandom!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote