HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Molsons paid too much for the Habs: Forbes.com

Old
12-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Not one mention of Scott Gomez yet.

I keed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
It really tells you that Quebeckers really do drink a **** load of beer. lol.
And they'll drink ****** beer too without a whimper.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
FYI, the building was not sold out prior to Gilett taking over the Habs and the lockout.
Yeah, but this was common around the league, empty seats everywhere. Also, you could have bought the team and turned it around, any new face would have increased interest at that point. The franchise was pathetic back then, GG didn't exactly recreate the game when he took over.

He knew the team needed a familiar face to give the fans confidence, the entire team new Gainey was the solution.

It goes further than GG, not trying to diminish his role , but it was great timing when he bought this team. Where is any team without the support of the fans?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I still cannot grasp in my head how you can pay almost 600 million for a hockey club in the economy when franchise can be obtained for 150 and less. Sure there's the arena but the previous owners almost gave Gillet the arena for free. The whole thing was high robbery.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I still cannot grasp in my head how you can pay almost 600 million for a hockey club in the economy when franchise can be obtained for 150 and less. Sure there's the arena but the previous owners almost gave Gillet the arena for free. The whole thing was high robbery.
Some franchises, yes. The Canadiens weren't (and aren't) one of them. They are a team that consistently sells out, makes money (unlike a lot of other franchises), has a very large reach within the province (and outside the province too), is a major sport monopoly in Montreal and has possibly the most loyal fan-base in the league, meaning as long the organization is run properly, it will make money. The Molson's overpaid, but I wouldn't call it highway robbery.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Chazz

molsons have the money, dont feel bad

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
Not ALL the credit. The Canadian dollar deserves a lot of credit too.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Some franchises, yes. The Canadiens weren't (and aren't) one of them. They are a team that consistently sells out, makes money (unlike a lot of other franchises), has a very large reach within the province (and outside the province too), is a major sport monopoly in Montreal and has possibly the most loyal fan-base in the league, meaning as long the organization is run properly, it will make money. The Molson's overpaid, but I wouldn't call it highway robbery.
+ the Bell centre is one (if not the one) the most used venue (in North America) for all kinds of shows all year long.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
ILuvLucic*

Bronfman is a smart guy, and him backing out despite having the assets shows it was an overpayment.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
It was high robbery. Especially how Gillett paid for it.

Making money, sure it will make money.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It was high robbery. Especially how Gillett paid for it.

Making money, sure it will make money.
Gillett had the guts to buy it when the franchise was struggling and the CND $ was pretty bad vs US $.

Kudos to him.