HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Favorite Play in Hockey?

Old
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
nocturn

vCash: 500
Favorite Play in Hockey?

Whats your favorite Play in Hockey? It could be a Set, Random, Scoring, Non Scoring, Checking, Back Checking... whatever floats yer boat.

Mine was the set "Back Door" play on the PP for the longest time. IMHO, Jagr was probably the best at this when he was in Pitt. Pallfy was a close second. The Smyth one a few days ago against Minni was textbook and a thing of beauty.

In close second was a good, multi-pass, ticky-tack, 2 on 1. The "Finnish Sandwich" line comes to mind.

As of the last 5 years or so its been a D-man out on the point "Walking the Line" in reverse 3 or 4 strides, picking a spot and drilling it home without a deflection that has given me wood....errr...graphite. That, in my eyes, is about the prettiest thing in the game now...in my opinion.

I don't particularly care for the shootout even though its here to stay. I think its really done a disservice to the breakaway. We've seen the shootout goal so many times now that the breakaway goal has lost its luster in my eyes...unless you're down by one late in the 3rd...

What say you?

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:45 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post

Mine was the set "Back Door" play
I knew it.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Brophy

leaving my feet to check someone in the head and turn their brain to mush.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
I knew it.
LMAO...call me.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
leaving my feet to check someone in the head and turn their brain to mush.
Damn. I figured yours would've been the warm feeling running down your leg.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Playoff OT. The suspense!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Defgarden

Although not a play per se, one of my favorite things in hockey to watch is when a goaltender makes a superb, flashy glove save.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Nothing beats a nice routine icing touch-up.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:13 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
When the puck gets put lightly up the middle...nobody is around and there is a dman taking 3 or 4 strides towards the puck to let one rip in the high slot.

I'm the guy in row 4 saying Oh ****!!! when it happens against us. You can see it coming a mile away.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Hollywood

To me nothing like a 3 on 2... Winger enters the zone with the puck drops to high man back to same winger and then cross to streaking far winger that gets behind far dman for goal...3 passes then shot..
1 on 2 splitting the D is always a beauty... Love that too!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

when the puck is past from below the goal line out to someone wide open in the slot and the keeper comes out super aggressively to meet the shot, making a flashy glove save whilst still sliding out towards the shooter

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't know about play, but my favorite occurrence in hockey are trickle goals. When the puck barely crosses the line. It has been the most exciting to me since I was like four.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:16 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Redlight flashing behind opponent's goalie.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Nothing beats a nice routine icing touch-up.
Hahahahahahah omg you too??? I looooove those kinds of icings!

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
21Dog

an open ice hip check

21Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:12 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I think that, for me, there's nothing that beats the feeling of a Kings' defenseman - and I mean a defenseman who can score, like Murphy or Galley or Duchesne or Coffey or Blake or Zhitnik or Schneider or Doughty or Johnson - a defenseman like that knocking down a clearing attempt by the opposition with the score close, holding the puck in at the point, and looking up to discover he has some open ice in front of him.

The anticipation of what he's going to do with that time and space ... will he skate in and make a pass? Will he try to wait for a screen and then try a wrist shot? Will he fake a shot and try to make the guys in front of him go down to block it, then skate around them? Will he skate laterally along the blue line? Will he just unleash a bomb slapper and look to score himself or at least hope for a deflection or a rebound? Will he just drive to the net, trusting a forward to get back and cover for him if the drive isn't successful? Will he put the puck back in deep, and let the guys down low work a play?

There's nothing like the feeling of seeing open ice, seeing the room to make a play. Seeing Johnson and Doughty work on the PP against Vancouver in the playoffs last season brought an enjoyment of the game I hadn't felt in a long time. THAT's hockey, for me - finding open ice, making plays, making decisions, using teammates, striking fear into the opposition, hearing the home crowd grow louder in anticipation of what will happen. This is a great game.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:35 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Goalie Fights

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:02 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

A defenseman standing up at the blue line and flattening a puck carrier who has his head down or who makes that extra move and holds on to the puck just a second too-long. Timing, skating, positioning and aggressiveness, thats my kind of defenseman.

I use to love watching Jay Wells hipcheck opponents, blastings them right into the boards.

A full-on wrist shot from the point to the top of the net.

From deep in the zone, a long sizzling perfectly placed pass to a breaking forward allowing him to split the opposing D and go in untouched for a scoring opportunity.

And just for you JT, a JQ game-stealing 51 save, S.O. performance agaisnt the Red Wings.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 12-15-2010 at 08:44 AM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:33 AM
markisonfire

Whenever Jonathan Quick plays the puck...

Too soon?

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:01 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

When Barry Beck would wait until the ref wasn't looking, slide his hand under his arm, slip his hand out of his glove, cold **** a player and then slide his hand back into his glove and pretend to help the guy up.

Still makes me laugh.

A stand up at the blue line honest to goodness check. You sort of shake loose of gravity for an instant before you slobberknock the coming forward. Impact happens, they go down and you pivot and hustle for the puck. My favorite sequence anyways.

Pro your darned right Jaybird could throw out and send flying anyone who had their heads down with his hips or anything else.

Offencively I like it when a play develops as planned and ends up with the puck in the net. A couple of stick to stick gift passes springing a guy for an open shot.

When the cowboy (flett) would pretend his stick was a horse and ride it around after a goal. I was a kid but it always made me laugh and cheer.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:42 AM
northernKing

1. The Sedins slap pass deflection is always nice and seems to catch everyone off guard

2. The old Gretzky play were he comes down the wing cuts across the blueline and fakes a big wind up slapper pulling the goalie out and freezing the dman only to slide a pass along the ice to a teammate for an easy tap in.

3. Cross ice passes in the air for tap ins or one timers. Gretzky and Sandstrom had a few of these with one of the better ones coming in that playoff ass kicking we gave Calgary.

4. Players scoring while laying on ice. Ovechkin or Krushelnyski type of goals.

5. Saves were the goalie is actually reacting to seeing the puck and not just have it hit him. When you move its a save when it hits you its a stop LOL!

6. Dustin Brown and Simmonds puck drag between the legs and Doughty's spinoramas always look good.

7. Plays were you can see the player already thinking were he's gonna pass the puck even before he gets it. Shattenkirk to Stastny vs TB last week is a classic example. Sidenote- Shattenkirk is gonna be a top 10 offensive dman in this league very soon.

Things I CAN'T stand

1. Commentators calling it a great save when the puck is gloved but clearly going wide! Howard on Brown last night

2. People using the words spectacular, amazing, incredible or other over the top phrases to describe Linus Omarks shoot out goal. The guy did a spinorama with NOBODY AROUND AND 100 FEET FROM THE NET! If you want to see a goal that lives up to those words youtube Datsyuk or even Omarks goals from overseas.

3. Hits from behind especially on icing calls and ANYONE who leaves their feet to hit someone.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post

1. The Sedins slap pass deflection is always nice and seems to catch everyone off guard
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion (particularly even when its wrong)
BUT HOW DARE YOU, Sir!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

A great one-timer.

Brett Hull and Steven Stamkos in particular.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
A great one-timer.

Brett Hull and Steven Stamkos in particular.
what, no Cammi love?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion (particularly even when its wrong)
BUT HOW DARE YOU, Sir!

???? I have not seen anyone else do it as well or as often as them so its " their move" IMO

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote