HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Intruder" Edition: San Jose @ Nashville 12/15/2010

Old
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'd actually love to see Klasen again with Dumont and Spaling. It might give Dumont the finisher he's been needing for quite some time.
Yeah, I'd love to see a sniper in a Preds sweater on a regular basis. But I've read that earlier in the season he was a healthy scratch for not hustling or playing defense. Haven't heard anything negative lately so maybe Lambert's wake-up call worked.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
InRinneWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRinneWeTrust View Post
As for game predictions:
As much as I'd love to pick up a Frosty on the way home, I don't think we'll see more than 4 goals total.
3-2 Preds in SO with O'Riley or Wilson being the difference-maker.
Ok so it wasn't a SO win, but I did call for Willy to win it!
Side note: On the post-game radio show when Willie D mentioned a fan saying "Somebody hit Nichol!"... yeah that was me.

InRinneWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Way to go Preds

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
darth5
No!

I had just about given up on this one, then the boys pulled it out. I could not beleive JP saved a goal on that back-checking play. And the Preds stuck to playing their system vs SJ, even though it did not look like it would prevail, two key D breakdowns and it did.
Christmas came early, and the winning streak continues! Ride, Boomer, Ride!

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Yep. Glad to see he's earning his way out of the doghouse.
Trotz even mentioned JPs play twice in the post-game wrap; and he said something good Monday night, too. Hopefully we're seeing a re-emergence of JP and some meaningful minutes.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I'd actually love to see Klasen again with Dumont and Spaling. It might give Dumont the finisher he's been needing for quite some time.
I know a couple weeks ago Klasen was in a slump and was benched for not playing hard in all 3 zones. Granted I haven't kept up with the Ads since then but if that's still even close to the case Klasen won't be the call up.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:15 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
this needs to be the very last game we skate belak... I enjoy wade being wade, but he is past his time in the NHL.... the few times Trotz put him out McClellan immediately pulled his line and put the Thornton line out - exposed is an understatement. Wade, work on your color and that firefighting gig....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
OK SLake, you may get to see what Lundmark can do. Post game presser, Trotz indicates there may be a recall for Horny. Or will they bring up Mueller or Klasen. I know Lundmark is a center, but he is supposed to be a versatile, experienced 2 way center.

With Goc, COR, Smithson, and Spaling, where would Lundmark fit. My bet is on Mueller, then Klasen.
Mueller is not under contract to the Preds, therefore he cannot be recalled. He is on an AHL only deal with the Ads...

Lundmark has been playing well this month. He has NHL experience and did not look out of place at all in training camp or at the start of the season while he practiced with the team while recovering from injury. He plays all three forward positions and is more defensively responsible than Klasen.

Jamie Lundmark should be the callup if one is made. He is the most verstile player in Milwaukee that can address our needs whether it is on the wing (Hornqvist) or at center (Lombardi/Legwand) and has enough offensive skill to compliment whomever he plays with rather than sticking an all-defense guy in a two-way role.

By no means am I trying to say Lundmark would light up the scoreboard or cure all ills, but he would serve in a Vern Fiddler "Jack of all trades" type of role that has been sorely missed the past couple of years and would definitely be a better option than dressing Belak any more than absolutely necessary.

Belak was benched for the rest of the night after San Jose scored their first goal. That's why the lines got jumbled at times the rest of the game as Trotz got Spaling and Dumont shifts. I saw some criticized Trotz for breaking up lines, but that was not the case.

HockeyDiva and Sparkle Twin can tell you that during the second intermission I remained optimistic and pointed out that without two of our four opening night centers in the lineup that the Preds score two goals per game and that WE hadn't scored yet. I said, very optimistically, that if we didn't allow SJ another goal we could win by a 3-2 final. I'm glad to see that the boys saw it that way too and got the job done!

All in all, just ANOTHER great night to be a Nashville Predators fan!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:52 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Is there another team with as few televised games as us? It's ridiculous. When I was in Dallas I know that every single one of their games were televised locally. I thought that was one of our new president's talking points, that we had to get all games on tv......
not sure why the game wasnt on tonight, but yeah..i think the plan is to have 70+ games by 12-13 season

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
not sure why the game wasnt on tonight, but yeah..i think the plan is to have 70+ games by 12-13 season
When they designed the TV schedule this summer they focused on getting as many road games and as many second half of the year games in as possible since I believe only 60 are televised this year. We go up to 65 next season, 70 the year after, and I know the end goal is to televise all 82 regular season and at least 16 post-season games annually.

All the broadcasts this season are in HD. They are making headway in this department.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The team kept putting the puck at and on the net all night. It sure wasn't a lot of pretty hockey, but, it was a determined effort by all 11 forwards and our D to get traffic and pucks on Niemi and see what happened. Add in a little puck luck and we managed to stay in the game long enough to get a couple past Niemi in the 3rd.

What disturbed me most about the entire game was how alone Wallin was on his goal. Nobody seemed to remember there was a right side to our defensive zone on that play and he made a good shot to beat Lindback.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:42 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Mueller is not under contract to the Preds, therefore he cannot be recalled. He is on an AHL only deal with the Ads...

Lundmark has been playing well this month. He has NHL experience and did not look out of place at all in training camp or at the start of the season while he practiced with the team while recovering from injury. He plays all three forward positions and is more defensively responsible than Klasen.

Jamie Lundmark should be the callup if one is made. He is the most verstile player in Milwaukee that can address our needs whether it is on the wing (Hornqvist) or at center (Lombardi/Legwand) and has enough offensive skill to compliment whomever he plays with rather than sticking an all-defense guy in a two-way role.

By no means am I trying to say Lundmark would light up the scoreboard or cure all ills, but he would serve in a Vern Fiddler "Jack of all trades" type of role that has been sorely missed the past couple of years and would definitely be a better option than dressing Belak any more than absolutely necessary.

Belak was benched for the rest of the night after San Jose scored their first goal. That's why the lines got jumbled at times the rest of the game as Trotz got Spaling and Dumont shifts. I saw some criticized Trotz for breaking up lines, but that was not the case.

HockeyDiva and Sparkle Twin can tell you that during the second intermission I remained optimistic and pointed out that without two of our four opening night centers in the lineup that the Preds score two goals per game and that WE hadn't scored yet. I said, very optimistically, that if we didn't allow SJ another goal we could win by a 3-2 final. I'm glad to see that the boys saw it that way too and got the job done!

All in all, just ANOTHER great night to be a Nashville Predators fan!!!
I disagree here and I'll explain why. While Fiddler was a nice role player and did the "dirty" work, he killed us with his constant offsides penalties and marginal offensive skills. Hornqvist has gone down with an injury, whatever it may be and he needs to be replaced by a guy that is somewhat in his skill set, not a guy that plays a different game. I'd consider Hornqvist more of an offensive guy and I would replace him with more of an offensive guy. If we bring up Lundmark, we probably see Tootoo on the PP again which I'm all for but others around here seem to cringe at. If we bring up Klasen, he probably goes on the PP and would actually give us a finisher and good puck handler on the PP which is something we sorely lack. Two way forwards are not our issue right now as the team has been playing well lately, regardless of my insane posts late last week.

Spaling, as Dumont said, is excellent in that regard and the guys on that line know if they get caught deep, they know he's going to be back there covering for them. The Smithson line has enough two way players on it. Goc's line is probably the best two way line on the team when you look at it right now and O'Reilly's line with Cal and Sully are pretty good defensively. I think there's enough good two way play up front not to warrant Lundmark.

The other thing is, is Klasen going to be any worse than Belak defensively up front? I doubt that can happen.

As much as you tout Lundmark and how not out of place he looked at camp, camp and games are two different things as we've seen in the past. How many guys did we see come through camp the last bunch of years that we get excited about and then they don't produce during the season? And just because Lundmark played center for Iginla doesn't mean he was that good a player, it may have been caused by injuries or giving that kid a chance at the time. He obviously didn't stick which tells me a lot more about his skills than a 29 year old journeyman center playing in the AHL.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:20 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Klasen has 3g, 3a for the Ads in December. Lundmark has 2g, 3a for the month.

Having watched the Ads twice in late Nov ... Lundmark was the better player in the one game both played (Klasen was a healthy scratch in the second game the Ads played in Cedar Park). Of the two, Lundmark fits the Preds system better than Klasen ... more versatile, better defensively, although with less pure sniping upside than Klasen.

Old
12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Klasen has 3g, 3a for the Ads in December. Lundmark has 2g, 3a for the month.

Having watched the Ads twice in late Nov ... Lundmark was the better player in the one game both played (Klasen was a healthy scratch in the second game the Ads played in Cedar Park). Of the two, Lundmark fits the Preds system better than Klasen ... more versatile, better defensively, although with less pure sniping upside than Klasen.
He may fit the system better but does he replace the player he's coming in for better? We have good 3 good lines going. He would be needed to play a few even strength shifts with Spaling and Dumont and play on the PP some. Who's the better fit there?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:50 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
He may fit the system better but does he replace the player he's coming in for better? We have good 3 good lines going. He would be needed to play a few even strength shifts with Spaling and Dumont and play on the PP some. Who's the better fit there?
Klasen and Hornqvist play a very different style of offense from what I saw of Klasen. Linus isn't a stand in front of the net, take a beating and get the dirty goals guy. He was sat and publicly called out by Lambert just after Thanksgiving. From what little I saw of him in game conditions, he still needs further development. His PPG are decent for the AHL, but a lot of guys who aren't NHL ready can score PPGs in the AHL (i.e. Wathier).

One name I don't see getting a lot of mention is Halischuk. 2g, 3a for the month after getting dinged up in November.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If Lundmark comes up does he have to clear waivers to go back down?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I am still riding a high from this game. I still can't believe the play that sprung SK 74. Amazing

How are the roads in TN today? I plan on driving back tonight around midnight from Ohio... is there any snow on the way?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Can I ask you a serious question, outside of training camp this year, have you ever seen Lundmark play?

I compare him to Fiddler in role only as a hard working, two-way forward that can play pretty much up and down the lineup. Bringing up the fact that Fiddler has an uncanny propensity to go offsides for an NHL player really makes me wonder if you are projecting your frustrations with Fiddler onto Lundmark because I mention them together.

Lundmark is NOT Vern Fiddler. Lundmark has legitimate skill that lead him to be a first round pick in this league and has never seen him play in the ECHL. Fiddler on the other hand wasn't drafted at all and made his way to the NHL by playing doing the little things and working his tail off. Lundmark has always been a legitimate two-way forward, but has a boatload more offensive talent than Fiddler has ever shown.

Klasen is still an unproven offensive forward who needs to play on a top-six line. Yes, Dumont is on the line and Spaling was his center in Milwaukee at the start of the year, but as you say "does he play a similar game to the person he is replacing?". Despite the fact both score goals, the answer is clearly a negative. Lundmark is the guy that crashes the net, goes into the corners, and uses his body to make plays. Klasen will go to the net and into the corners, but he relies far more on pure skill to get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, I like Klasen, however the call-up here should be Jamie Lundmark with Hornqvist, Legwand, and Lombardi out. Lundmark can play all three forward positions and he won't look out of place on the PP...

Old
12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I am still riding a high from this game. I still can't believe the play that sprung SK 74. Amazing

How are the roads in TN today? I plan on driving back tonight around midnight from Ohio... is there any snow on the way?
All clear now.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Klasen and Hornqvist play a very different style of offense from what I saw of Klasen. Linus isn't a stand in front of the net, take a beating and get the dirty goals guy. He was sat and publicly called out by Lambert just after Thanksgiving. From what little I saw of him in game conditions, he still needs further development. His PPG are decent for the AHL, but a lot of guys who aren't NHL ready can score PPGs in the AHL (i.e. Wathier).

One name I don't see getting a lot of mention is Halischuk. 2g, 3a for the month after getting dinged up in November.
Halischuk had 2 goals and 3 assists in November, but hasn't returned to the lineup since being injured on the 23rd. He is still out.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Way to go Preds
Forgot you guys play the Sharks tomorrow. I guess go Stars, but I feel icky for saying that, no offense.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If Lundmark comes up does he have to clear waivers to go back down?
I believe he does, which could play a factor in the recall, but with Lombardi out still long term, Legwand out at least another week, and Hornqvist now out with an undisclosed injury...what do we have to really lose? He has a $550k minimum NHL salary. If they recall him and don't want to put him through waivers he could stick as the 13th forward. It'd certainly cost the Preds less than having to dress effectively 11 forwards for a game when someone goes out...

Old
12-16-2010, 09:48 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

do we know how badly horn is hurt? or is this all rampant speculation like i had with legwands knee?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM
WartracePred

Informed rampant speculation. During the presser last night, Trotz was badgered into disclosing they were trying to decide on a recall, and that Horny was questionable for Friday's game in Jersey. Watch the post-game presser and decide for yourself.

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote