HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are The Rangers This Years Surprise Team?

Old
12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

vCash: 500
Are The Rangers This Years Surprise Team?

Quote:
Thirty games into the season, the Rangers have yet to see Vinny Prospal suit up, Chris Drury has been out since the second game of the year, and Marian Gaborik has missed a month's worth of games. Their first line center spot has been a two man job played by 20 year old rookie Derek Stepan and journeyman Erik Christensen. Yet despite their injuries and their inefficiencies, the Rangers are sixth in the Eastern Conference.

The Rangers have been road warriors this season with an NHL best 11-4 record away from The Garden. John Tortorella has also ingrained "the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back" mentality into the team. The Rangers lack top six talent but they fight for each other and play an effective blue collar style. Good playoff teams are 'teams' in the truest sense of the word. It isn't always the most talented team that makes a run at the Stanley Cup as every year there is almost always a surprise team.

Can the Rangers be this years surprise?

The answer is maybe. I'm sure that isn't the ideal answer. But the fact of the matter is the Rangers need to vastly improve their play on home ice and also must improve on the power play to make a real run at the playoffs.
Quote:
In the coming weeks the Rangers will be given a boost when Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal make their long awaited returns to the lineup. They will give the Rangers much needed depth and more options for the power play and top six combinations. With their 'new' additions, an improved power play, and better play on home ice, the Rangers can be a very serious playoff team. Henrik Lundqvist is a Stanley Cup worthy goaltender and if the Rangers can improve their inefficiencies in front of him, they are going to be this years surprise.
what do you guys think? solid logic or hopeful cheer-leading?

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
ecemleafs

i think most of this board projected us to be a 6-10 seed and we are within that range right now, so no.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i think most of this board projected us to be a 6-10 seed and we are within that range right now, so no.
Yeah, but if someone told you before the season started the Rangers would play extended periods of time without Gaborik, Prospal, Drury and Rozsival, that they would get little from Del Zotto and Frolov, it would be a surprise that they were still in that 6-10 spot.

12-10-2010, 10:45 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah, but if someone told you before the season started the Rangers would play extended periods of time without Gaborik, Prospal, Drury and Rozsival, that they would get little from Del Zotto and Frolov, it would be a surprise that they were still in that 6-10 spot.
definitely

Old
12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
AJRanger

Road record's fantastic, just imagine where they'd be if they could bring it at home.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Nope, Atlanta is.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Road record's fantastic, just imagine where they'd be if they could bring it at home.
Was about to say the same. If this team can play at home like they do on the road, then they'd really be the league's surprise team. They'd be fighting with Pittsburgh right now for first instead of being stuck in 5th/6th.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:01 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 152
Until we fix the faceoff problem, no way. We have to get better! Better faceoff percentages will also help out the PP.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Pretty much this. The kids took the reigns this year.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Yes because we have the King. A good goalie will always keep you hanging around. I didn't expect them to win the conference and I didn't expect them to get a top 3 pick. So yeah they are right about where most thought they would be, middle of the pack team.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
msv957

Quote:
True... but this goes to show the real good depth on this team. There are some very good players all over this lineup. I do not see any reasons why this team can't compete for the Holy Grail this year. Anything can happen.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'd say this years surprise team is the NJ Devils

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:51 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I'd say this years surprise team is the NJ Devils
lol for all the wrong reasons.

This team IS a surprise at least to me. i honestly though gabs would be injured, prospal would have his bad year and I thought Hank would have a down year likely due to injury and wear down (which he has been a little off but also carried the team through about 15 or so games.)

But i thought this'd result in us being about 4 points off of last in the East.

Of course it was easy to say IF Dubs and Cally improve more and pick up their scoring. IF a rookie D-man plays up to his projections (I thought it'd be McD not Sauer who has above and beyond performed) A lot of IF's but several came true.

It's been an awesome year in my opinion a lot of bad games allowing for catharsis but overall great moments, lots of wins, growth of our homegrown guys (which makes it more fun to take pride in the team). Atl has been something else though. I doubt either team actually makes noise besides making the playoffs but they'd be the candidates right now for sure.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

If you had told me before the season that the team would have a .583 points percentage while allowing more than 2.5 goals per game, I would have been surprised.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Until we fix the faceoff problem, no way. We have to get better! Better faceoff percentages will also help out the PP.
good point, one of their biggest problems on their power play is the face off. they immediately lose 25 or so seconds when they lose the draw to start it off.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Black Tank

I hope this is the question people are asking come spring. So far so good but I still want people to write us off for a PO spot.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Depends on how Drury and Prospal play.

If they both play en pace' of about 20 goals 50 points, and Cally, Dubi, Artem, Stepper, ect keep up the good play, then maybe we can finish 5th, 6th in the East.

All first round opponents look horrifying right now, though.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Depends on how Drury and Prospal play.

If they both play en pace' of about 20 goals 50 points, and Cally, Dubi, Artem, Stepper, ect keep up the good play, then maybe we can finish 5th, 6th in the East.

All first round opponents look horrifying right now, though.
Except Washington. I'd love to play them in the 'offs.

12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Except Washington. I'd love to play them in the 'offs.
I definitely think this team can beat them in 7 games... heck, the 08-09 team almost did.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You're not really a surprise team when you're not that good.

With that said we are where most everyone predicted us to be. If we were a surprise team we'd be in the e-5 range in the east.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

We won't know until the end of the season, its a surprise.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Surprise like, "Surprise it's the end of January and we suck again!" surprise?

Seriously though, I hope this team seeds better than 7 or 8. That would be a surprise for me.

12-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I think they're a surprise as far as where they are right now...

But I wouldn't be surprised if
A) It doesn't last

AND

B) If they get in they lose in the first rd.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:30 AM
dedalus

I'm not sure if the OP is asking if the Rangers are performing in a surprising way, or if the Rangers are the most surprising team in the league this season.

If it's the first of those: a little. I figured them pretty much unchanged from the way I figured them the past few seasons: a handful of games above .500, and a first round exit. They're on pace for exactly that, the record without Gaborik being the only difference maker.

If it's the second: definitely not. The Rangers are not the most surprising team in the league this season. I'll go with Atlanta. That looks like a team of castaways and leftover parts.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 01:31 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

If it's the second: definitely not. The Rangers are not the most surprising team in the league this season. I'll go with Atlanta. That looks like a team of castaways and leftover parts.
This. If we make the playoffs as a 4-5 seed, I'd be willing to count us as a "surprise" team. At this point, though, Atlanta looks like they're gonna be THE surprise team for this year.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote