HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, I don't really agree with Fitzy there. If the team feels Rocco will pan out and be as good at the NHL level as some feel, than you take him regardless of the round.

He's gritty and strong enough to overcome his size weakness, for the most part.
If we had the 30th pick, I would definitely take Grimaldi. But if we get a 15-20 pick like I expect, I'd either move down, or move up in the 2nd to pick him, rather than take him there.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Is the WJC on TV? Or is only the gold medal game on NHLN?

Old
12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Size is less of an issue in the post-lockout NHL. Plenty of guys showing that now (St. Louis, Ennis, Cammalleri, Tedenby, Skinner, etc). It really comes down to whether or not that player has the hockey IQ to find the open ice when it becomes available.

Watch the Debbies / Caps game on Versus (on now). Tedenby can shred a defense with a few quick moves.

Grimaldi is absolutely filthy with the puck, has a tremendous shot, and can do everything at full speed. It's amazing to watch. If we're picking late in the round, I could see us grabbing him. It's hard to pass up that kind of skill. Especially when he's one of the younger kids in the draft and could still grow a bit.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
ecemleafs

if this draft is lacking in depth and were picking in the 2nd half of the first round then id definitely want someone as skilled as grimaldi.

Old
12-21-2010, 09:56 PM
NYR Viper

From what I saw he looked pretty feisty and had a lot of skill. I will be interested to see how he does in the tournament coming up. His skills are unquestionable but I wonder how his size will effect the use of those skills against other players with similar skill sets.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
So, if you have pick 30, you won't take this kid, but if somehow we get pick 31 you'd do it?
That is a sort of a poor example, but yes.

Why? because if you're picking at 31 you also picked at #1. See?

The top stock of your draft should not be 5'4"

Old
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

I think I would agree with that. I saw him play and the skills were there but if he tops out at 5'6 then he may never be an impact player in the NHL. It would be top-6 for bust for him.

Also, that would most likely leave two players around 5'6 in the Rangers top-6 in the future, MZA and Grimaldi.

2nd round, I take him and run. I would move up if possible to take him. But with their 1st pick, I don't take that kind of player.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Matthew Nieto is my favorite if he's on the board.

I like his game and strong character.

He's another player that would fit well into the Rangers organizational philosophy.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Is the WJC on TV? Or is only the gold medal game on NHLN?
All the USA games, from what I understand, will be on NHLN.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I think I would agree with that. I saw him play and the skills were there but if he tops out at 5'6 then he may never be an impact player in the NHL. It would be top-6 for bust for him.

Also, that would most likely leave two players around 5'6 in the Rangers top-6 in the future, MZA and Grimaldi.

2nd round, I take him and run. I would move up if possible to take him. But with their 1st pick, I don't take that kind of player.
I might be in the minority here, but I don't think a top-six or bust player would be a bad selection for this team. We have a quality group of prospects with a lot of "safe" players not only amongst the prospect pool, but on the active roster as well. Adding a kid who brings a ton of offensive ability to the table would help balance out the system, IMO.

Lots of kids in this draft who bring a lot of skill to the table, but might be available later in the 1st due to size or are missing a piece or two to the rest of their game. Guys like Huberdeau, St. Croix, Bartschi, Grimaldi, Catenacci, and Rieder all bring a lot of skill to the table, but not necessarily in the most complete player package.

Ultimately I think the decision will hinge a lot on character. Seems like the organization is finally targeting kids who will "buy in" to the system and feel like being a Ranger means more than collecting a pay check. It's great to see.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Grimaldi is only not a complete package due to his size. He is pretty physical for a tiny dude (actually initiates contact) and is half decent defensively for a mighty mite.

Frankly, he's a much more complete player than someone like St. Croix.

I'm all in for taking Grimaldi if we pick in the bottom half of the 1st round (granted, I'd prefer taking him around 25 or so) or by trading up with our 2nd round picks to land him.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

there are more ways than finishing last overall to get the 31st pick

Old
12-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
So, if you have pick 30, you won't take this kid, but if somehow we get pick 31 you'd do it?
at pick 30 i wouldnt give a damn, because we just won the stanley cup

Last edited by Inferno: 12-21-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old
12-21-2010, 11:55 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
at pick 30 i wouldnt give a damn, because we just won the stanley cup

haha wouldnt care even if we just forfeited the pick.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:15 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I can't wait to hear the excuses from Canadians this year.
Excuses? okay how about this as an excuse hmmmmmmmm Evander Kane and Matt Duchene etc could be eligible to play in this tournament. But sadly Canada's elite jr age players make the NHL and guys like Seguin and Skinner are to valuable to there NHL teams to miss time for a JR tournament. Is that an excuse or is it "we" just own hockey just as the USA own basketball?

Old
12-22-2010, 04:26 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Grimaldi is only not a complete package due to his size. He is pretty physical for a tiny dude (actually initiates contact) and is half decent defensively for a mighty mite.

I'm all in for taking Grimaldi if we pick in the bottom half of the 1st round (granted, I'd prefer taking him around 25 or so) or by trading up with our 2nd round picks to land him.

ok genius you take Grimaldi and I will hitch my pick on St. Croix and pick time and see who does better. Loser wears other persons name as a sig for 2 years after stating I am said persons Biotch. Sign me up for that deal any day of the year

Just wanted to add jonathan you have many , many posts and follow the game well but you are out of your mind thinking Grimaldi is a better over all player than St. Croix. I get your over all game jist but truth be told you have very little knowledge of St. Croix I will state that as fact.

I on the other hand have viewed this kid live as early as a 13 yr old and his progression forward. For fun Jonathan check where he went in the WHL draft of under age kids taken by WHL teams and research the pick and tell me if you still would want that bet okay?

Last edited by topcat986*: 12-22-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old
12-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat986 View Post
Excuses? okay how about this as an excuse hmmmmmmmm Evander Kane and Matt Duchene etc could be eligible to play in this tournament. But sadly Canada's elite jr age players make the NHL and guys like Seguin and Skinner are to valuable to there NHL teams to miss time for a JR tournament. Is that an excuse or is it "we" just own hockey just as the USA own basketball?
Just like you owned us last year, right?

Old
12-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I was searching for the 'like' button... then remembered I wasn't on facebook...

Old
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Anyone watch Fasth last night?? I watched a stream but it was real choppy and it was more on in the background at my house. From what I did see, he was on the 2nd line, was pretty fast/shifty, not afraid to mix it up. Got a 10 minute misconduct with 10 minutes left in the game. Final was 4-1 (I think) but it was 2-1 with 5 minutes left. I wasn't all that impressed with Canada, beside Schenn

Old
12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

At RPI he was directly responsible for a goal against. He made a soft play from the center of his defensive zone to the defenseman who rocketed a shot into the U.S. goal. He tried to be too cute. That is something I fear with what I saw of his game.

On Nieto, in the game I saw for the U.S., he had a good start but after that was invisible. I was hoping to see more.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
That's the same as your excuse from last year! Think of a better one.

Old
12-23-2010, 12:00 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post

How about the previous 5 or 10 years

Old
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
nyrmetros

Anyone going up to Buffalo for the games?

Old
12-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
How about the previous 5 or 10 years
Who's the U20 champion now? Not Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Anyone going up to Buffalo for the games?
Yep. All games at HSBC on December 31st

Old
12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
ok genius you take Grimaldi and I will hitch my pick on St. Croix and pick time and see who does better. Loser wears other persons name as a sig for 2 years after stating I am said persons Biotch. Sign me up for that deal any day of the year

Just wanted to add jonathan you have many , many posts and follow the game well but you are out of your mind thinking Grimaldi is a better over all player than St. Croix. I get your over all game jist but truth be told you have very little knowledge of St. Croix I will state that as fact.

I on the other hand have viewed this kid live as early as a 13 yr old and his progression forward. For fun Jonathan check where he went in the WHL draft of under age kids taken by WHL teams and research the pick and tell me if you still would want that bet okay?
I doubt you have seen Grimaldi play a single game. Actually, I know you haven't.

And you act as if the CHL draft means anything.

Pat Jarrett is a superstar now, for sure. He went #1 in 2001. Ahead of Rick Nash!

Closed Thread