HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian Laperriere on RDS (French)

Old
01-14-2011, 10:20 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Ian Laperriere on RDS (French)

I'm watching an interview with Ian Laperriere, relaxed, one-on-one. He's talked about:
- Biggest regret in his career was breaking Brian Savage's clavicle. Laperriere caught him looking down at the puck in his skates and levelled him. He felt very badly and went to the hospital to apologize to Savage. Lappy said he still thinks about that.
- Talked about how great the Flyers org has been during his injury time, with keeping him busy getting out to talk with young players, etc. The interviewer described how much his teammates respected him, and the enormous lift he gave the Flyers during the playoffs with his play and his courage.
- Described his ovation during the playoffs when they showed him standing in the corridor. He said that a PR guy wanted to bring him down and have his face up on the Jumbotron. Lappy said, "Nobody will care. I've only been here (Phil) a year." The PR guy said that the crowd would give him a standing ovation, and Lappy said he was crazy. We know what happened. Lappy said how much that touched him. This was all in the context of the interviewer saying how much Lappy was loved everywhere.
- Was (obviously) asked about playing in Montreal. Lappy said that he was a FA on two occasions, but Montreal never expressed interest in him. You could tell -- and the panel just mentioned it -- that it still bugged him. He said that he grew up in Montreal, and it was obviously what he and his friends wanted to do. When asked about the pressure of a local French-speaking player playing, Lappy said that every NHL player should be able to deal with that kind of pressure; if they couldn't, they should hang up their skates. What was more difficult for him was the potential pressure on his family. For example, he said he could imagine his kid getting bugged at school because his dad had a bad game, or his mother getting harassed at the grocery store.

I'll see if I can find a link.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

The guy only played one season and he is one of my all time favorites. I wish he'd been a lifelong Flyer.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The guy only played one season and he is one of my all time favorites. I wish he'd been a lifelong Flyer.
Ditto. So much so, I just got his jersey three days ago.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he is the man

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
MXD

He also said very interesting things -- on how players would like to the team medics and to themselves regarding how they feel (it was a segment about concussions). Said he witnessed as much as 10 or 15 guy who were stating obvious lies, but that those guys are pros... And that you had to be driven/passioned by something in order to understand that.

The interview was made by a doctor, who appears quite often on sports shows in Quebec. I kinda dislike his persona, but he asks really good questions... Nice to see someone like that interviewing players for a change.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
yup, I agree. didnt take long to realize what fans of some of the teams he was on saying was true. doesnt take long to become a fan favorite. especially in Philly where they love the hard working, lunchpail type of player.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup, I agree. didnt take long to realize what fans of some of the teams he was on saying was true. doesnt take long to become a fan favorite. especially in Philly where they love the hard working, lunchpail type of player.
Exactly. And Lappy basically squeezed about 8 seasons worth of that type of play into one season...and then he CAME BACK AND PLAYED WITH A BRAIN INJURY AND BLOCKED MORE SHOTS.

That's just heroic. I'm fine with keeping this guy in the organization. Invent a position if you need to.

Old
01-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lappy made such an impression on me in one season. I thought it was a bit of a strange signing at first, but wow. Some strange things, I was jumping up and down and cheering when he blocked his first shot after coming back, and i had a tear in my eye when they showed him on the jumbo. Lappy will always be remembered for being a tough son of a *****, and a model professional.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

I straight cried during his ovation, and Boosh's. I was so incredibly proud to be a Flyer fan to see Lappy honored like that, and to see the fans acknowledge Boosh's hard work.

In Lappy's case, my girlfriend, a Flyers noob at the time, summed it up..."wow. I guess he's played there for years."

me: "no. only this season"

her: "holy *"

She'd seen his previous plays, and heard me rave about him. And she just assumed he was a Philly fixture.

Old
01-15-2011, 06:40 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Me too. You just can help but respect the man, and love his heart.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
This team is great but they'd be straight up nasty with a healthy Lappy.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:48 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
He also said very interesting things -- on how players would like to the team medics and to themselves regarding how they feel (it was a segment about concussions). Said he witnessed as much as 10 or 15 guy who were stating obvious lies, but that those guys are pros... And that you had to be driven/passioned by something in order to understand that.

The interview was made by a doctor, who appears quite often on sports shows in Quebec. I kinda dislike his persona, but he asks really good questions... Nice to see someone like that interviewing players for a change.
Thanks for adding this, MXD. I missed the beginning, and my French is so-so. I was impressed how articulate Lappy is, and how candid he was with being an NHLer. The panel after the interview were gushing about how great it would have been had the Canadiens picked him up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
decadentia

Love Lappy. It would be hard to imagine where we would have been without him in the past playoff run. That guy left his blood and guts on the ice, for a team he just started playing for and after being in the league for years (i've seen a lot of older players pack in in, effort wise)...thats dedication.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:35 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Love Lappy. It would be hard to imagine where we would have been without him in the past playoff run. That guy left his blood and brains on the ice, for a team he just started playing for and after being in the league for years (i've seen a lot of older players pack in in, effort wise)...thats dedication.
Fixed that for ya.

I love lappy.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
chaosof99*

Some time ago there was a thread on the main board asking to summarize a franchise in a single picture. Many of the posts made by people were either signifying the glory times of a team (player lifting the cup) or a horrible downfall (foot in the crease for Buffalo, Gretzky getting a pass on a high stick for Toronto).

I chose the picture of Lappy on the bench after taking that slapshot to the Face against Buffalo last season. Admittedly, I had to decide between that the picture of Jason Smith with his open cheek and the red eye.

I was later asked why I chose that picture, rather than Clarkie toothlessly grinning with the Cup in his hand. This was my answer:

Quote:
I thought about that one too. Another I thought about was Hextall beating the **** out of Chelios, but there are several reasons I chose the Laperriere pick over them. It just encapsules what the Flyers stand for, in my opinion: Toughness, perseverance, physicality, sacrifice, effort, playing for the team rather than for oneself, etc.

Most of the other pics I've seen here either show one of the franchises high points, or one of the low points, rather than what the team is about on a game by game basis. So would have the Pic of Clarkie. The Laperriere pic on the other hand is from a relatively minor player in franchise history, who may only play one season with the Flyers, and from a regular season game, but it shows exactly what the team is about not matter when, no matter where.
Naturally, I believe the same applies to the man in the picture. He's simply what Flyers hockey is about.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Kaktus*

Hoping for a come back. This kind of end for such a player simply does not make sense.

It's not over. (hopefully)

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-15-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Imagine Lappy instead of Superstar in the lineup...

Here is hoping he has a full recovery.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
phlocky

I hope he comes on here and gets to read some of these responses you guys have posted. I agree with all of them and I believe that ALL Flyers fans feel the same way. I would LOVE to have him come back but for his health, I just hope he gets healthy even if it means he never plays again.

I also hope that his work ethic and dedication to the emblem on the front showed something to our younger players and helped take them from a "country club" mentality to one just like Lappy's. If EVERYONE on the Flyers played and worked like him then we would be nearly unstoppable for years to come.

I would also love to have him stay with the organization in some fashion. You can bet though that if he wants he will have a job waiting for him from quite a number of franchises for which he's played.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
Nodl - Richards - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
JVR - Carter - Giroux
Lappy - Betts - Powe

= not fair

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote