HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would you rank the teams?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
  #51
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
I think 7 or 8.
Anyone can answer this so that I, a big dummy, can understand...

Given the fact that :

1) most of the Canadian 1st round picks, over the last three years, were high round picks (Top 10);

2) most of the US 1st round picks over the last 3 years were after Pick 15;

3) there are twice as many 1st round picks for Canada playing on the WJR team as the US team

Why is the US considered the favourites?

I wish someone would provide a objective, logical explanation...

Please NO :

i) "cause they won last year";
ii) "they have 8 returnies to the Canada's 4";
iii) references to one country being better then another;

Just pure hockey insight please. Help me understand because the more I look at the teams, the more I think that the "Canada is an underdog" stuff is just :

a) Canadian insecurity;
b) TSN trying to create interest;

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:18 PM
  #52
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
speed, experience, goaltending...

high picks may be because they have a higher ceiling, but they may not be better now.

Also the fact that many players are familiar with each other (USNTDP).

They may be the favorites, but anyone can win in such a short tournament.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
  #53
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
speed, experience, goaltending...

high picks may be because they have a higher ceiling, but they may not be better now.

Also the fact that many players are familiar with each other (USNTDP).

They may be the favorites, but anyone can win in such a short tournament.
Thanks SMH...

Fair enough but I have heard that their goaltending is not great. I have read Campbell has been playing badly lately.

I have also read that Canada has more size and skill - shouldn't that balance everything out? I have read this could be the best defensive team in a decade.

Anyway, it just feels like Vancouver 2006 to me. The same 3 reasons were used in 2006 to boost Team USA and... well, you know...

I remember after Canada won in 2006, Jim Kelley (an American, RIP) said on Prime Time Sports that there was no way Canada should have been an underdog given the number of 1st Round Picks and the skill on that team. He said he believed it was just the TSN Hype Machine putting pressure on Team USA.

To be honest... Feels the same way this year. I really think Canada will win - IMHO.

But, I bow to others who have more hockey knowledge then me.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
  #54
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Thanks SMH...

Fair enough but I have heard that their goaltending is not great. I have read Campbell has been playing badly lately.

I have also read that Canada has more size and skill - shouldn't that balance everything out? I have read this could be the best defensive team in a decade.

Anyway, it just feels like Vancouver 2006 to me. The same 3 reasons were used in 2006 to boost Team USA and... well, you know...

I remember after Canada won in 2006, Jim Kelley (an American, RIP) said on Prime Time Sports that there was no way Canada should have been an underdog given the number of 1st Round Picks and the skill on that team. He said he believed it was just the TSN Hype Machine putting pressure on Team USA.

To be honest... Feels the same way this year. I really think Canada will win - IMHO.

But, I bow to others who have more hockey knowledge then me.
I hope you're right! It's hard to assess teams without having seen any of them play. I'm going to Canada vs Sweden Tuesday and Canada vs Switzerland Monday.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
  #55
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
I hope you're right! It's hard to assess teams without having seen any of them play. I'm going to Canada vs Sweden Tuesday and Canada vs Switzerland Monday.
Good for you! I am going to all the Canadian games myself - bought the Silver package (all the games at the HSBC arena). Can't wait!!!

Even my gf, who is iffy when it comes to hockey, can't wait. My other friends are asking if they can go to a game or 2 but when I tell my gf that I might take a friend she gives me that "Bobbitt" look and I realize it is a mistake.

Trying to sell my US Round Robin games on Stub Hub but no bites (yet). May have to drop the prices to face value very, very soon.



Last edited by KevyD: 12-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.
KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:39 AM
  #56
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryshuskies View Post
Goaltending

1. Sweden
2. USA
3. Switzerland
4. Russia
5. Canada
6. Finland
7. Czech Republic
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway
Wow, these goalie ratings are puzzling. Why is it that you think Benjamin Conz and whoever his backup is are better than anything Canada or Russia can throw at them? Conz had a good tournament last year and is a good goalie, but is he really that good? He's been passed over in the draft twice.

I'm also shocked that you rated the Slovak's, Finn's and Czech's over Germany. The German's have Grubauer in net, while the Czech's have to go without Mrazek and Slovakia is probably going with Juraj Holly, who is very unproven. Grubauer is better than anyone Slovakia, Czech Republic and arguably Finland have.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:00 AM
  #57
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
So after last year's performance at the WJC or his performance with Windsor, Conz or Grubauer doesn't have the same talent or Ortio? Sorry but I don't agree there, far from it.
4 1,08 95,24%

Yeah, Im thinking Ortio has been better than them.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
  #58
dmacgreg37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Wow, these goalie ratings are puzzling. Why is it that you think Benjamin Conz and whoever his backup is are better than anything Canada or Russia can throw at them? Conz had a good tournament last year and is a good goalie, but is he really that good? He's been passed over in the draft twice.

I'm also shocked that you rated the Slovak's, Finn's and Czech's over Germany. The German's have Grubauer in net, while the Czech's have to go without Mrazek and Slovakia is probably going with Juraj Holly, who is very unproven. Grubauer is better than anyone Slovakia, Czech Republic and arguably Finland have.

Haha, looks like he was right. Benjamin Conz and a ventriloquist dummy would be better than Olivier Roy. Since the coach doesn't seem to want to play the backup despite Roy being awful, one must assume that he's not better than Roy (rightly or wrongly). Hence, the rating made sense.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:05 AM
  #59
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
4 1,08 95,24%

Yeah, Im thinking Ortio has been better than them.
Captain hindsight, to the rescue!

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
  #60
monsterswede
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Goalkeeping:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Switzerland
4.Finland
5.Russia
6.Czech Rep
7.Canada
8.Norway
9.Germany
10.Slovakia

Defense:

1.Swe
2.USA
3.Can
4.Finland
5.Czech R
6.Russia
7.Germany
8.Slovakia
9.Switzerland
10.Norway

Offense:


1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway

Overall:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Can
4.Russia
5.Finland
6.Switzerland
7.Czech Rep
8.Slovakia
9.Germany
10.Norway


Don Cherry:
1.Canada
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.USA
10.That crappy team called Europe :S

monsterswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:41 PM
  #61
dm1371
Registered User
 
dm1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicoutimi, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Man i feel that Canada's goaltending is going to cost them the gold.

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
  #62
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
My pre-medal round updated rankings:

Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Russia
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
Norway

as most have said, Russia could easily beat the four teams above them in any given game. But their poor defense and inconsistency slides them below a more reliable and steady Finnish team that is still talented and has an excellent goalie.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
  #63
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
It's easy to rank teams on paper but when it comes down to it it's often the best team that wins short tournaments like this. Look at Sweden and Canada as a prime example. With all due respect to the Swedes they do not come close to the Canadians on paper. Canada has 15 first rounders on its roster, Sweden has 1. I know NHL prospects aren't always the best players in this tournament but 15-1 is an enormous discrepancy in that regard. What Sweden does seem to have is incredible team chemistry and commitment to system play. They play very well as a team and I can't say the same for Canada, or even the USA to this point.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
  #64
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterswede View Post
Goalkeeping:


6.Czech Rep
7.Canada
Come on, Roy hasn't been that bad

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:07 PM
  #65
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
My pre-medal round updated rankings:

Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Russia
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
Norway
Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:16 PM
  #66
Chumley
 
Chumley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.
The Canadians had a lot tougher group than the Americans. The US only beat the Swiss by 1 goal as the Canadians beat the Swiss 8-0 in a exhibition game just before the tourney. With that being said I think it's all irrelevant anyway. It's wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss beat the Canada tomorrow.

Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
  #67
monsterswede
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Come on, Roy hasn't been that bad
I thought his efforts against Sweden was OK, but that was according to me his best performance in the tournament so far. We had some really good chances

monsterswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
  #68
monsterswede
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
The Canadians had a lot tougher group than the Americans. The US only beat the Swiss by 1 goal as the Canadians beat the Swiss 8-0 in a exhibition game just before the tourney. With that being said I think it's all irrelevant anyway. It's wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss beat the Canada tomorrow.
That's correct. USA hasn't impressed me. Probably are Sweden and Canada the best of all teams. You could maybe add the US and Russia because their highest standard is much higher than they haved showed jet

monsterswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
  #69
lopper
Registered User
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 50
I would rank the teams left playing for medals as follows:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Switzerland


Last edited by lopper: 01-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.
lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
  #70
dmacgreg37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I would rank the teams left playing for medals as follows:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. USA
4. Finland
5 Switzerland
6. Czech Republic
Czechs lost to Russia. They aren't playing for medals, Russia are.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
  #71
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterswede View Post
Goalkeeping:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Switzerland
4.Finland
5.Russia
6.Czech Rep
7.Canada
8.Norway
9.Germany
10.Slovakia

Defense:

1.Swe
2.USA
3.Can
4.Finland
5.Czech R
6.Russia
7.Germany
8.Slovakia
9.Switzerland
10.Norway

Offense:


1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway

Overall:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Can
4.Russia
5.Finland
6.Switzerland
7.Czech Rep
8.Slovakia
9.Germany
10.Norway


Don Cherry:
1.Canada
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.USA
10.That crappy team called Europe :S
No offense but these are absoulutely awful.

The Czechs have better goaltending then Canada? Wait what? The Czechs may have the worst goaltending in the tournment, worse than Norway.

The Americans have not shown they have a better offense than Canada at all. Struggle to score agaisnt almost everyone. Almost lost to Switzerland and Finland. Same with Russia. Russia got shutout by a team Canada scored 5 goals on. Russia may be underperforming but you posted this today! So you should've known about it.

And theres other things but I've said enough.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
  #72
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
The U.S. have Jack Campbell in net, who will probably be the best goaltender (or second best, behind Lehner) in the tournament. They also have a very talented group of returning players who are experienced and managed to win in a huge game. Finally, they get the benefit of a *much* easier pool.

The Swedes have Lehner in net, and some top end prospects. They could give the Canadians a run for their money if Lehner plays like the all-star he is capable of being. They might not be able to match the talent level of Canada on a per player basis, but I think Sweden has a game breaker or two, whereas Canada's are all in the NHL. OEL would be huge if they could get him back.

I know very little about the Russian roster, but they've imploded in recent years in international competition, so I'm not overly confident about their chances. I think they'll end up 3rd out of the Group B, which means they'll likely draw Finland or Switzerland in the Semi-Finals; both winnable games, but not automatics.

The Canadians of course lack the elite offensive prowess of previous years, with a who's who of players who could be on this team lighting it up at the NHL level... Hell, even if they could just have one of Duchene, Seguin or Skinner; they would be infinitely better. Still, their defense has the potential to be the best in the tournament and, they have *fifteen* first round NHL draft picks. You have to think that they have as good of chance as anyone to win it all.

I tend to think the Canadians will win, but I wouldn't be shocked if the U.S. won on home ice.
It's not really home ice when there are more Canadian fans.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
  #73
lopper
Registered User
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
Czechs lost to Russia. They aren't playing for medals, Russia are.
Yes sorry i was mixed up. Slot Russia into 5 and bump down the Swiss to 6.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM
  #74
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTheTyler View Post
It's not really home ice when there are more Canadian fans.
I love how I accurately predicted Russia drawing Finland as the 3rd seed.


Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
  #75
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterswede View Post
Offense:


1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway
I think this my favourite part of his rankings. Canada is leading the WJC in goals by a wide margin, has three of the top five scorers in the tournament, leads the event in shooting percentage, and has the best powerplay which clicks at a staggering 50 %. Yeah, rank 'em fourth in offense!

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.