HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would you rank the teams?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
  #76
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
No offense but these are absoulutely awful.

The Czechs have better goaltending then Canada? Wait what? The Czechs may have the worst goaltending in the tournment, worse than Norway.

The Americans have not shown they have a better offense than Canada at all. Struggle to score agaisnt almost everyone. Almost lost to Switzerland and Finland. Same with Russia. Russia got shutout by a team Canada scored 5 goals on. Russia may be underperforming but you posted this today! So you should've known about it.

And theres other things but I've said enough.
I agree.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
  #77
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.
Hi Mayday,

You really need to take into consideration the caliber of the opposition and how a/your team played against that opposition.

The US's schedule has been a walk in the park and yet they have struggled to win.

I believe this is the reason for the rankings.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
  #78
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.
Because I think Canada is the best team in the tournament, that's why.

You can't compare the numbers, because the two teams haven't even played the same opponents, let alone each other. Canada's group is significantly better.

The fact that they are defending champions means little as well. How many returning players are on Team USA? Six? What about Team Canada? Two? These are completely different teams than last years.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
  #79
dmacgreg37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Because I think Canada is the best team in the tournament, that's why.

You can't compare the numbers, because the two teams haven't even played the same opponents, let alone each other. Canada's group is significantly better.

The fact that they are defending champions means little as well. How many returning players are on Team USA? Six? What about Team Canada? Two? These are completely different teams than last years.
Actually the US has 8 returnees, which for a high end nation is a HUGE number. That makes a huge difference in a short tournament. Look at Campbell and look at Roy - I know Campbell is probably a better goalie to start, but which one looks like they're feeling pressure and which doesn't? A number like 8 is more common for smaller nations who play a lot of their better players in the lower levels at 16 and 17, for a defending champion, that's huge.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
  #80
Bucky Ducky
Registered User
 
Bucky Ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
I think right now the ranking should be like this:

1-Canada
1a-USA
2-Sweden
3-Russia
4-Finland

That is my top 4. I put Canada just a little in front of the United States, because I don't feel the US has played to their potential yet. I could see another thriller if the US and Canada meet again after the Swiss game.

IF the United States puts it all together and play like the team they can be, then I think they are a better team than Canada, but as of right now, no I dont think so.

Bucky Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:43 PM
  #81
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss
 
FytinSioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ND
Country: United States
Posts: 1,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Ducky View Post
I think right now the ranking should be like this:

1-Canada
1a-USA
2-Sweden
3-Russia
4-Finland

That is my top 4. I put Canada just a little in front of the United States, because I don't feel the US has played to their potential yet. I could see another thriller if the US and Canada meet again after the Swiss game.

IF the United States puts it all together and play like the team they can be, then I think they are a better team than Canada, but as of right now, no I dont think so.
You know Sweden beat Canada right? I like the Swedes, fast and skilled. The Canada/Sweden game wasn't as close as the score. Look at Canada's goals. I realize bounces are part of the game, but they were very very fortunate to be within a goal at the end.

My rankings:

1.) Sweden
2.) USA - better goalie, I think better overall offense than Canada. Canada has better D, but they haven't been playing that great.
3.) Canada
4.) Finland

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
  #82
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182,977
vCash: 500
USA
Swede
Canada

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
  #83
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Ducky View Post
I think right now the ranking should be like this:

1-Canada
1a-USA
2-Sweden
3-Russia
4-Finland

That is my top 4. I put Canada just a little in front of the United States, because I don't feel the US has played to their potential yet. I could see another thriller if the US and Canada meet again after the Swiss game.

IF the United States puts it all together and play like the team they can be, then I think they are a better team than Canada, but as of right now, no I dont think so.
Reasoning behind having Canada ahead of Swden? The Swedes controlled that majority of the game against Canada and ultimately beat them. They've been the cream of the crop so far.

1) Sweden
2) USA
3)Canada
4)Finland
5)Russia

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  #84
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
You know Sweden beat Canada right? I like the Swedes, fast and skilled. The Canada/Sweden game wasn't as close as the score. Look at Canada's goals. I realize bounces are part of the game, but they were very very fortunate to be within a goal at the end.

My rankings:

1.) Sweden
2.) USA - better goalie, I think better overall offense than Canada. Canada has better D, but they haven't been playing that great.
3.) Canada
4.) Finland
While I might agree that the Sweden/Canada game was not a great game for Canada, you might consider Olivier Roy was pretty brutal on the third Swedish goal and Olsen scored in our own net for one of them too. Those are pretty fortunate bounces the Swedish way too.

I don't think you can say that only Canada got lucky in that one. Additionally, I'm a bit confused how the Americans have a "better overall offense" when the Canadians have scored 32 goals against superior opposition, while the Americans have managed a mere 15? Obviously Canada blew out Norway, but we also scored a lot against Russia, Sweden and Czech Republic... all very good teams.

The Americans do have one of the better goaltenders in the tournament (probably 3rd best, behind Lehner and Conz), but I don't think that's enough to rank them ahead.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
  #85
PensFreak
Registered User
 
PensFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
I think Sweden looked better than Canada last game, so fast and skilled

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
  #86
monsterswede
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
I can admit that my ranking of Canadas offense was sort of provokating, but I'm actually a bit disapointed in their offense. Thought it would be even better..

See my ranking as a wakeup call rather than a serious ranking. It's really frustrating to see you canadians constantly overrating your own team.

Sweden was better than you, it doesn't just mean that they have better chemistry in their team. Or that it wasn't such an important game. As simple as it gets. Sweden got better players than Canada, and they will probably win the final.

monsterswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
  #87
Rogalo
Registered User
 
Rogalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post

Defense
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Czech Repulic
8. Germany
9. Switzerland
10. Norway
No way CZE was better defensively than Switzerland. I mean...no way. The offense was´nt so hopeless but defense and PK was just...apocalyptic:-)

Rogalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:07 AM
  #88
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Sad fact about hockey can be summed up in that quote (I am paraphrasing) :

"They shouldn't call it 'Hockey', they should call it 'Goalie', given how important the position is."

And this year (and last) it is Canada achilles heal.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
  #89
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Sad fact about hockey can be summed up in that quote (I am paraphrasing) :

"They shouldn't call it 'Hockey', they should call it 'Goalie', given how important the position is."

And this year (and last) it is Canada achilles heal.
See:
BLACKHAWKS, Chicago.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:20 AM
  #90
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
See:
BLACKHAWKS, Chicago.
I hope you are right.

Like I said elsewhere, I believe Canada only needs "Good" goaltending to win. If they get "Great" goaltending, they smoke the US.

If we get the goaltending they have gotten in our other games, we lose.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.