HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Woodlief ESPN Chat - 6/22/04

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Woodlief ESPN Chat - 6/22/04

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5463

Old
06-22-2004, 01:21 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Bluenote13, I just realized what the phrase under avatar was. Been a fan for a long time? Have you heard the new CD yet?

Old
06-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Barnaby

It sounds like he really like Lauri Korp.... I figured he was more of a late 1st rounder, but Woodlief seems to think he'll be gone in the top 15.

Old
06-22-2004, 01:26 PM
rnyquist

good read, obviously Kyle's not to good with his ability to keep calm (read the Lauri K response ).

Old
06-22-2004, 01:28 PM
KING

Russians head class of forwards in upcoming draft

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

Old
06-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Bluenote13, I just realized what the phrase under avatar was. Been a fan for a long time? Have you heard the new CD yet?
Am I a huge fan? You tell me.

I've been listening to Jeff Tweedy's stuff since the early 90's Uncle Tupelo stuff. For me, this guy is the best songwriter in Rock since Cobain. Always evolving, he brings something new to the table everytime out, without losing his pop sensibilities.

I love the new stuff, but i'm biased, it's my favorite band. The new disc is free on their website whoever's interested. Talk about a fan friendly band, they give the music away free on their site two months before it comes out. And still i'm going to get a copy today, gotta support my local record shop

Old
06-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
It sounds like he really like Lauri Korp.... I figured he was more of a late 1st rounder, but Woodlief seems to think he'll be gone in the top 15.
That is the way he is trying to make a name for himself, he picks some player and starts hyping him like he is the next Jesus Christ, so then when that player pans out he can say "we were the first to notice him" if the kid is a bust then he just stays quiet and hopes nobody remembers.

Old
06-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think the best parts of this chat were his BPA speech, I agree with him on that, but ask me that question after the Ranger's take Montoya on Saturday

And I thought it was funny he mentioned Brad Richards. I was in the same boat, totally wrong on him, thought he'd be a future AHL player. Hey, even the best make mistakes

Old
06-22-2004, 01:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Am I a huge fan? You tell me.

I've been listening to Jeff Tweedy's stuff since the early 90's Uncle Tupelo stuff. For me, this guy is the best songwriter in Rock since Cobain. Always evolving, he brings something new to the table everytime out, without losing his pop sensibilities.

I love the new stuff, but i'm biased, it's my favorite band. The new disc is free on their website whoever's interested. Talk about a fan friendly band, they give the music away free on their site two months before it comes out. And still i'm going to get a copy today, gotta support my local record shop
I veered more towards Son Volt, at first. (Loved "Tear-Stained Eye" and "Windfall" from the first album.) But, Tweedy has much more staying power then Farrar. BEING THERE was brilliant, especially the first disc. And, they do a great version of Big Star's "Thirteen" and Steely Dan's "Any Major Dude".

Old
06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I veered more towards Son Volt, at first. (Loved "Tear-Stained Eye" and "Windfall" from the first album.) But, Tweedy has much more staying power then Farrar. BEING THERE was brilliant, especially the first disc. And, they do a great version of Big Star's "Thirteen" and Steely Dan's "Any Major Dude".
Windfall is one of my fave tunes of all time, i have all of Jay's stuff too. Have you heard the LOOSE FUR stuff by Tweedy & Jim O'rourke? Excellent disc, though way more experimental. 'Being There' blew my mind when it came out, still one that i listen to frequently.

Old
06-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I think the best parts of this chat were his BPA speech, I agree with him on that, but ask me that question after the Ranger's take Montoya on Saturday

And I thought it was funny he mentioned Brad Richards. I was in the same boat, totally wrong on him, thought he'd be a future AHL player. Hey, even the best make mistakes

Everyone has a list of players they've missed the boat {team ruining prospects doesn't count}

Over the years Savard, Getzlaf and Gagne come to mind as guy's who I loved and made it while guys like Lundmark and Heerema have disappointed.

I never saw Richard's as an NHL player. Even now when I look at what he's brought to the table I am suprised. He always seemed like one of those guys from the 1980's who sprung up, scored a lot of points and was out of the league by the time they were 30.

Old
06-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Edge

This one cracked me up:

Quote:
Kyle Woodlief: The discrepancy is largely because some ot these so-called draft publications don't actually employ any scouts and don't ever see the players they are ranking (they know who they are). So most of them just go by what others tell them, or lift information from legitimate sources. If you want accurate information, you have to be careful about what sources you choose to read, At Red Line, we have over 30 personal viewings of Meszaros over the past three seasons and we rank him as the second best defenceman in this draft behind only Cam Barker. Meszaros is very poised, mature, and solid at both ends of the rink, and it would not surprise me at all if he went in the top 10.
And there are of course sources who are so desperate to make more money that they charge an arm and a leg for their publication while doing more self promotion than actual coverage of the prospects they claim to cover.

But I guess I would be bitter too if many of my peers around the league wouldn't shed a tear if I were hit by a bus and dragged a mile to my death.

Life's an %!#* and sometimes that's a result of the people in it.

Old
06-22-2004, 11:53 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
This one cracked me up:

And there are of course sources who are so desperate to make more money that they charge an arm and a leg for their publication while doing more self promotion than actual coverage of the prospects they claim to cover.

But I guess I would be bitter too if many of my peers around the league wouldn't shed a tear if I were hit by a bus and dragged a mile to my death.

Life's an %!#* and sometimes that's a result of the people in it.
too true, that entire chat was a joke. Everytime someone asked him why he had a player ranked higher or lower than other publications his responce was that those publications didn't scout and where flat out not doing what they say they do. How about just stating why you think a player should be ranked at a certains number and concede that not everyone has to agree with you?

Old
06-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Prucha73

Another Woodlief chat right now: http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20040623004/tscript.htm

he answered one of my questions, the one about Meidl.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Prucha73

To those who thought age difference of almost a year makes no difference to scouts:

Quote:
Grant, Pittsburgh: How much stock do you put in birthdates? Some prospects have almost a full year less development than others.

Kyle Woodlief: I do look at it, and it's a definite factor in my thinking if two players are roughly equivalent and one of them is 10-11 months younger than the other. That actually enters the debate over Ovechkin and Malkin at times.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Prucha73

he answered my question about Thelen:

Quote:
Is Thelen a future #1 defenseman or is he lacking something? What are the chances that he will be better than Barker?

Kyle Woodlief: There's plenty to like with Thelen, but I don't really care for his footwork and he does tend to get lost in the defensive zone quite easily. I clearly like Barker better and believe he has a higher upside.

Closed Thread