HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

He did what!?!; Vanderbeek Tried Selling Devils To Prokhorov; Re-Signed Kovy To Help

Old
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
really? i thought vanderbeek was a huge devils fan and his company was doing very well. meh, whatever. no way the team moves to brooklyn when we basically have the prudential centre to ourselves, once the nets leave.
and Because NYC really needs another Hockey team, and ya know...Brooklyn...Hockey central.
And, in honor of the fact that the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, they might as well have them remain the New Jersey Devils.

But really, this isnt going to be an issue since it aint happening, and If that happened someone would actually probably murder him.

Last edited by Jossipov: 12-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Many people take one look at, I don't know, attendance figures and immediately write off what the Devils mean to the state of New Jersey.

This is a popular (Yes, popular.) team with a passionate [and growing] fanbase. In one and a half years' time, this will also be the only major professional franchise to bear the state's name.

If the Devils ever relocated, it would get ugly.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
Anyway the article makes it sound more like he was just trying to get a second permanent tenant for the Arena, which he also owns and operates. Or perhaps he is simply looking for an ownership partner. No real reason for concern.
Yea, that's kind of what I thought when I read the article(s), that he wasn't trying to sell to move the team to another city (that wouldn't happen in the first place), but either because he wanted to sell (which I don't understand to begin with because the franchise has gone up in dollar value since he's been here, and why else would he want to sell?) or maybe he wanted another partner

I think if anything, VB was trying to get Prokhorav to be one of his sharing partners of the Devils......if that worked out, VB would try and convince him to keep the team in Jersey/at the Rock and to build the team off of it.....by pushing to sign Kovy, he was obviously making the Russian connection and trying to sell it even more

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
Anyway the article makes it sound more like he was just trying to get a second permanent tenant for the Arena, which he also owns and operates. Or perhaps he is simply looking for an ownership partner. No real reason for concern.
This, this, this and this.

He most likely wanted to try and get the Nets in permanently because he would profit from it (in some manner). This seems to me like the Canadian media sensationalizing a simple story to make it more interesting.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Prokhorov offered to buy the Devils from JVB and was turned down. I believe in our ownership, and I truly believe he loves this team and will keep it at all costs. The Kovy connection is a non-factor IMO. We had an opportunity to sign another marquee player and went for it.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Many people take one look at, I don't know, attendance figures and immediately write off what the Devils mean to the state of New Jersey.

This is a popular (Yes, popular.) team with a passionate [and growing] fanbase. In one and a half years' time, this will also be the only major professional franchise to bear the state's name.

If the Devils ever relocated, it would get ugly.

you get caught up in the attendance thing way too often, man

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
you get caught up in the attendance thing way too often, man
Well, I couldn't think of another example...

I do get caught up in it, this is true, but when I refer to it I'm mostly on the "Who gives a ****?" side of the matter.

Then again, I'd be lying if I said I don't get stoked when a good crowd shows up at the Rock.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

1. Hockey owners are always trying to sell teams, save for one or two (The Canadiens eve got sold in the past few years, yeah?). It's not a terribly profitable business.

2. Shoalts is full of *********. I'm surprised he didn't write another article crying and screaming about how the Yotes/Thrashers/any team south of Detroit should be moved to Canada. **** that guy.

3. I miss my James Vanderbeek trapper keeper

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:48 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

The Devil will be in the details of the wording of JVB's response.

Pay very careful attention to the exact wording of his response when he's surely asked about this in the very near future.

Will he categorically and strongly deny that it ever took place, or will he say something like, "No, I am not interested in selling the New Jersey Devils" etc., leaving doubt to the past/present tense.

In other words, will there be some "it depends on what your definition of is, is" wiggle room or not.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

uh-oh well, some of it still might happen.

Quote:
The top? Well Vanderbeek isn't going anywhere right now.

But if the rumors of Vanderbeek's financial dire straits are really true, then maybe Mikhail Inflated Ego Prokhorov will purchase the NJD, move them to eventually play with Lebron James & Brooklyn Nets at the Barclay's Center, hire a new GM and then bring in Ovechkin.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=137

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...v#post26329873

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:58 PM
guyincognito

I wonder who will write this story next week. Read the original, it's a great piece of drive-by journalism. so bad it makes you wonder how much of it was like that Rock Bottom show on the Simpsons.

"no, Mr. Vanderbeek!"

I wonder what Pacey thinks about the sale

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:55 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

I'm sure he committed $100M to a single player to help sell the team. What a bat**** theory.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:56 AM
guyincognito

not to mention they still signed the player after Prokhorov punted on this proposed deal.

but, either way, if it comes from Canada and gets picked up by the Post, it MUST be true.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:18 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Will James Vanderbeek's Brother, JEFF, approve of this?

glenwo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
That article is a classic hack job. Don't bother to check facts, not even the name of the guy you're libeling. Make outlandish claims and then use out of context quotes to make it appear to be supported. Disgusting.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
sbresistor

James Vanderbeek tries to sell NJ Devils to Nicky Prokarov. Devils signed Elva Kovalchuk as bargaining chip.

close enough right?

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
This again?
yeah didn't this get posted like 3 days ago and moved to the generic we suck thread?

"Chewie... we're home."
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
yeah didn't this get posted like 3 days ago and moved to the generic we suck thread?
YA KNOW.....I think it did.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
If Prokhorov bought the team, would we move to Brookyln when the nets do.
I doubt it. The Nets move is because NYC is all about basketball.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
That's kinda funny but this is pretty different than a generic "we suck." I don't check that thread and didn't know about this. Too much moderating.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:33 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
I think that hargsy guy brought this up a few days ago and got shunned by the faithfuls here,....that hargsy guy is a cool dude and knows his Devils news, people should really listen to him !!!!

Someone also brought up the Devils have to stay at the Rock for either 10 or 30 years ( i forgot), no matter who owns the team.

Last edited by The 29th Pick: 12-16-2010 at 08:38 AM.
The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:35 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
That's kinda funny but this is pretty different than a generic "we suck." I don't check that thread and didn't know about this. Too much moderating.

I'm not so sure you should be mentioning that last part, Chico Eats.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
To find a post here you have to spend an hour or two reading every thread, because for some reason they dont like individual topic threads started....I guess the "mods" are conservatives !!!!

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I'm sure he committed $100M to a single player to help sell the team. What a bat**** theory.
Frankly, that's one of the only parts that DOES make sense. A Russian billionaire would be enticed by a Russian star signed long term, for sure.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I'm not so sure you should be mentioning that last part, Chico Eats.
I've been a mod on other sites. I like the mods here, and if they aren't open to a little constructive criticism, then they need to get off their high horses. I'm not saying F the mods or anything.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargsy View Post
I think that hargsy guy brought this up a few days ago and got shunned by the faithfuls here,....that hargsy guy is a cool dude and knows his Devils news, people should really listen to him !!!!

Someone also brought up the Devils have to stay at the Rock for either 10 or 30 years ( i forgot), no matter who owns the team.
I just remember it being posted then moved somewhere. This looks like basically a chop job or re-reporting that original link.

The fact that this entire "story" is based on a conversation that took place last summer makes it weak at best. This is not current discussions based on current events. Rumors and ****... ya know.

I'll ignore this version's obvious errors... which are obvious.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote