HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

HBO 24/7 Pens Vs Caps

Old
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
HBO 24/7 Pens Vs Caps

I just finished watching the first part and was completely blown away. It is an amazing behind the scenes look of 2 great NHL teams. This is great for the sport and you know there will be ALOT more of these to come. I would love to have Liev Schrieber narrate my life.

The GM of the Penguins actually sits there with his scouts and trainers and they grade each player after every game from a scale of 1-5. The Caps locker room the coaches are ripping the team apart after every loss.

Garth and Wang should be watching this and maybe Wang can realize wow this is how a hockey organization is run!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:13 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 500
Ya it was awesome, you can see such a big difference what a few wins or losses in a row will do for/against a team.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Antidote

Maybe at least Capuano watched! I was sure I saw a Strang tweet this morning that said Cap had pulled the team off the ice at today's practice and the team was behind closed doors etc. The tweet is gone now tho.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Looking for download.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I just finished watching the first part and was completely blown away. It is an amazing behind the scenes look of 2 great NHL teams. This is great for the sport and you know there will be ALOT more of these to come. I would love to have Liev Schrieber narrate my life.

The GM of the Penguins actually sits there with his scouts and trainers and they grade each player after every game from a scale of 1-5. The Caps locker room the coaches are ripping the team apart after every loss.

Garth and Wang should be watching this and maybe Wang can realize wow this is how a hockey organization is run!!!
I was just thinking this as well.

Want to know the sad truth?

Wang and Snow did watch this...... and they recognized that the Isles org in no way resembles either of these teams...... and yet somehow, they'll rationalize and convince themselves everything is A-OK.

They're an embarassment.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:53 PM
periferal

Quote:

Wrong. They are INCAPABLE of getting it the way I'm in incapable of dunking a basketball.

You can wait on Wang. I'm going to harass him until he sells.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I actually posted about it in OT thread.. yeah I thought it was excellent. Bruce dropped a ton of f-bombs haha. I have always liked the winter classic and this is great way to lead up to it.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Islanders1932

This was absolutely amazing...I hope there were some non-hockey fans watching it because I don't think they will be non for long

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Groin Of Bates

I'm downloading it now, as I missed it due to work, but I've read good things so far.

I hope it is successful, enough so that the NHL could start it's own version of "Hard Knocks." I think it would be very interesting to watch.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:10 AM
SnowmustGo*

It was awesome to get an inside peek, I couldn't help but think of the isles for obvious reasons when it came to the caps portion of the doc.

SnowmustGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Great first episode, very well done.

Isles host the Pens on Dec 29th, camera crews should be on site. Wonder if they'll be any mention of the "Pens traveling to Uniondale to take on the completely dysfunctional New York Islanders..."

Last edited by Law: 12-16-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:29 AM
NYI Win

I'm just downloading it. Will post my thoughts later.

NYI Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Augscura

I just watched it was very impressed. Great for the game. Look forward to watching more.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:34 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

It was very well done and should attract even the casual hockey fan or even better, those that never watch games. The coverage was excellent and the view into the real life of the players was fantastic.

The part with the team moving all of the hotel furniture from the rookies room into the hall was very, very funny.

I have to say, I was laughing at how these players, in their 20's and 30's still act like they did when they were 15 - pretty cool.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:46 AM
budos13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
It was very well done and should attract even the casual hockey fan or even better, those that never watch games. The coverage was excellent and the view into the real life of the players was fantastic.

The part with the team moving all of the hotel furniture from the rookies room into the hall was very, very funny.

I have to say, I was laughing at how these players, in their 20's and 30's still act like they did when they were 15 - pretty cool.
I loved the Pens rookie who said "We're going to find out who did it and probably do nothing about it"

budos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:28 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Ya it was awesome, you can see such a big difference what a few wins or losses in a row will do for/against a team.
Makes you wonder how committed some of these players are to actually winning. Seeing the caps in the midst of their losing streak completely distraught and hearing the "country club" comment last week...its light years apart.

Glad to see it wasn't an hour of crosby nuthugging too.

Bruce likes to drop those f-bombs. I don't hear any uproar like I did with rex ryan tho. And ryan dropped em at a lesser rate.

Overall it was interesting & a good watch for sure. I actually came away disliking sid a little less. He's human...he plays video games & he's not the best in the world! Man I'd shoot him up allll day lol.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:33 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by budos13 View Post
I loved the Pens rookie who said "We're going to find out who did it and probably do nothing about it"
I almost spit out my adult beverage when he said that. He said it like any one of us wouldve too...so off the cuff. Great quote

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Missed this last night. Definitely want to see it though. I will download it from somewhere.

Anyway... for those of you with NHL Network I highly reccomend "Oil Change". It's a behind the scenes look at how the Oilers organization is run. Basically starts at this summers draft, covers training camp and will continue to run all season. I would assume 24/7 Caps-Pens is pretty much the same show in terms of what it does.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
NYI Win

****ing this, ****ing that
Talbot seems like a great guy off the ice
I knew they would manage to put Leonsis in there somehow
"Max is a ******."
Sensitive skin
Good job buddy. Love the respect.

Great show.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
NYI Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Missed this last night. Definitely want to see it though. I will download it from somewhere.

Anyway... for those of you with NHL Network I highly reccomend "Oil Change". It's a behind the scenes look at how the Oilers organization is run. Basically starts at this summers draft, covers training camp and will continue to run all season. I would assume 24/7 Caps-Pens is pretty much the same show in terms of what it does.
I believe it's (Oil Change) also available on the Oilers website.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI Win View Post
I'm just downloading it. Will post my thoughts later.
what site can this be downloaded from??

Thanks

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Raven35912

i love how they played the song from slap shot when the penguins were on the bus. hbo sports documentaries are just so epic. i don't think it's crazy to say that when the isles are good again (some day) there is an epic story to be told about this orginization and its history. hbo could totally give it the greek tragedy gravitas it deserves.

Raven35912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Great first episode, very well done.

Isles host the Pens on Dec 29th, camera crews should be on site. Wonder if they'll be any mention of the "Pens traveling to Uniondale to take on the completely dysfunctional New York Islanders..."
Instead of practice, the Penguins do a pick up game in Uniondale amongst the back drop of 4,000 fans.

In all honesty.. this would be perfect moment to lead a protest with the HBO cameras there!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Instead of practice, the Penguins do a pick up game in Uniondale amongst the back drop of 4,000 fans.

In all honesty.. this would be perfect moment to lead a protest with the HBO cameras there!!!!
Not a bad idea. Don't know if it would get on TV (nothing to do with the Pens or Caps really), but the NHL has given full-access and I don't think they would be able to edit it out if it did make it in.

Signs lining the glass and especially behind the bench could def get on camera.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
majormet

So many good things about this show, and makes me feel inferior being an Islander fan for sure.

First off, I can see why guys would not sign here because of the Coliseum. Look at the Pens facility and the state of the art nature, jacuzzis, nice locker room, workout center,..... sure combats the Ice Girls quite easily. Now I get it, especially seeing Paul Martin and knowing he was a rejector of the Nassau Coliseum, if these players are talking about the atmosphere for practices etc... it is a valid point.

Interesting to see how coaches talk between periods. Bylsma is winning so he just gives a quick pep talk and marches out. Boudreau is frustrated but I always thought he was a weak coach, make Rex Ryan seem like a Mormon.

Max Talbot is a guy I tend to hate on the ice, but he seems like a cool guy. Matt Cooke seems like a guy that matches his on ice personality.

This could be a big plus for hockey having this kind of show and to get HBO behind hockey. Imagine if HBO had a weekly game, that would be revolutionary, you can curse on the air, and it would show the grittier side of the game.

Good to see Brooks Laich up close, he has been my favorite Non Islander over the years.

I really liked the meeting between Shero and Bylsma, where they evaluate the players, I don't think the Isles have done this since Arbour/Torrey.

Liked Bylsma's reaction to the fight that Engelland had. Didn't we have Bylsma as an asst coach once?

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote