HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you rate Picard?

Old
12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Nidema

vCash: 500
Gone forever I hope.

Brutal player. 10 good games blinded 20 bad ones.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You know that most bottom pairing guys aren't the greatest?

The guy has a decent amount of points and is a +6 this year, which for a bottom pairing guy, is fantastic. I'd be happy if he finished the year with 15 points and a positive +/-.
We have Subban, one of our key future players, in the stands instead of playing while this scrub is getting burned by the NEW YORK ISLANDERS. Who cares how many points or how plus he is, the guy is terrible and Subban looked a hundred times better as soon as he was paired up with Gill and taken off his pairing. If we're going to lose to the friggin Islanders I'd rather lose with rookies instead of with plugs like Picard.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Picard is a 7th. What do you guys expect? The problem is not Picard....it's using him instead of PK.

The day people will realize that this defensive squad is only good WITH Markov, they'll understand how it is WITHOUT him.

If we didn't have too many turtles already, I'd think that I would prefer Henry over Picard and Weber. Thing is, the rest of that defensive squad is pathetically slow for a supposed team build on speed. Greatest joke of the year....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

-7 in last 7 games, pretty sad that JM keeps playing him no matter how brutal he plays but guys like AK Pouliot and PK get sat out ft not playing nearly as bad.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:40 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Seriously, Picard was far from the worst defenseman on the Habs tonight. I'm not saying he's playing well, but Hamrlik, Spacek and Gorges were all worst than him. And Picard is still better than Weber on the PP. At least he can shoot the puck on the net.

I don't get the fixation some of you have on Picard.

But you know it's not going well when your best defenseman on a given night is Hal Gill.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Seriously, Picard was far from the worst defenseman on the Habs tonight. I'm not saying he's playing well, but Hamrlik, Spacek and Gorges were all worst than him. And Picard is still better than Weber on the PP. At least he can shoot the puck on the net.

But you know it's not going well when your best defenseman on a given night is Hal Gill.
Weber led the team in shots on goal.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Nidema

Picard doesn't deserve to be rated.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Picard is a 7th. What do you guys expect? The problem is not Picard....it's using him instead of PK.

The day people will realize that this defensive squad is only good WITH Markov, they'll understand how it is WITHOUT him.

If we didn't have too many turtles already, I'd think that I would prefer Henry over Picard and Weber. Thing is, the rest of that defensive squad is pathetically slow for a supposed team build on speed. Greatest joke of the year....
The voice of reason. I amazes me that some put the heat on our 6-7th defenseman when ultimately, it's the coach who chooses who plays and who doesn't.

Closing in on 300 posts of that BS. The need to complain must be at an all-time high in Montreal!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Thats true. Tho even with Markov, the only time this defense looks good is when its playing in front of a goalie that stands on his head.

However the issues of the team go back to Bob Gainey and his free agent frenzy that never really addressed the issues of the team nor did it ever give them a new identity. When i see this team, they often resemble the Koivu era.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post

At least those guys don't make glaring miscuses that end up in the net like he's been doing the last 2+ weeks. Check the highlights of the last 7-8 Hab games and on most opposition goals, he's the guy giving the puck away, getting caught pinching or not covering his partner.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Weber led the team in shots on goal.
He could have twice that if he was more accurate. But I'm not blaming Weber, he was not the worst D tonight. Picard either.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
-7 in last 7 games, pretty sad that JM keeps playing him no matter how brutal he plays but guys like AK Pouliot and PK get sat out ft not playing nearly as bad.
Turns out that Picard logging the 3rd most EV strength minutes among Habs defensemen (like tonight) isn't the rarity it should be, but that's what happens when they have to kill a bunch of penalties, and rely so heavily on just two guys (Gill/Gorges) to handle that stuff.

Sometimes I look at how decent our lineup looks when broken down to the individual level, and am then amazed at how often it still seems like JM is forced (or tries) to pound square pegs through round holes.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:20 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Turns out that Picard logging the 3rd most EV strength minutes among Habs defensemen (like tonight) isn't the rarity it should be, but that's what happens when they have to kill a bunch of penalties, and rely so heavily on just two guys (Gill/Gorges) to handle that stuff.

Sometimes I look at how decent our lineup looks when broken down to the individual level, and am then amazed at how often it still seems like JM is forced (or tries) to pound square pegs through round holes.
And everyone ragged on Carbonneau when he had to deal with a far weaker squad

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Picard doesn't deserve to be rated.
Funny - I assume you mean he's crapola?

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:44 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
And everyone ragged on Carbonneau when he had to deal with a far weaker squad
Carboneau would play the 4th line with a minute left down by a goal. He did this constantly. How stupid can he be.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The voice of reason. I amazes me that some put the heat on our 6-7th defenseman when ultimately, it's the coach who chooses who plays and who doesn't.

Closing in on 300 posts of that BS. The need to complain must be at an all-time high in Montreal!
I find it ironic that you keep complaining about how many posts there are about Picard when you posted over 9 posts defending Picard on this thread .

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

People on these board hated Picard even when he was playing well. Now that he's uneven, he's crucified. Gorges have been pretty bad lately too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:13 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
People on these board hated Picard even when he was playing well. Now that he's uneven, he's crucified. Gorges have been pretty bad lately too.
habs fans being bi-polar nut jobs? say it ain't so!

everyone deserves blames for this game. and if i'd have to pick a dman to blame, spacek would be first. by a lot. the man has been shocking the last 10 games or so and it's only getting worst...

there's gonna be good games, there's gonna be bad games. chalk it up as a bad one and let's move on.

and let's be honest, al things considered, it probably was a good thing sooby wasn't playing this one...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:32 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
But 6'5" 235 lb mobile hitting denfensemen are a dime a dozen.
don't forget who can fight!

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 04:27 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Play PK & White, scratch Picard & Pyatt.
Please.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
I find it ironic that you keep complaining about how many posts there are about Picard when you posted over 9 posts defending Picard on this thread .
Probably because I find ridiculous to pound on a guy who isn't the main reason for the Hab's lack of success, a guy who plays in a very small role.

There, #10. Now is it really to defend him or to shed light on how absurd this is? I guess it depends on which way we look at it, right?

Old
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Probably because I find ridiculous to pound on a guy who isn't the main reason for the Hab's lack of success, a guy who plays in a very small role.

There, #10. Now is it really to defend him or to shed light on how absurd this is? I guess it depends on which way we look at it, right?
True, Picard certainly hasn't been the reason for our struggles. But, I don't like they way our D squad is composed.
Making our two aging vet play the most yet again for a 2nd season is a recipe for disaster. One can already wonder if Hammer is tired, and matching him up with Spacek who's also slow and might be dealing with some signs of fatigue himself, isn't a good idea.
With the number of therapy days Gorges has had, he must be playing through an injury. We have the luxury of having two talented young Dmen in PK and Weber, we can sit Gorges out for a few if he needs to heal. He's an important part of our Defense and we need him to be in good condition.

Playing Gill for more than 20min is just wrong. He should not be playing that much.
You don't play a #5-6 Dman that much.

The reason we could look at our Dsquad last summer and say, it might actually not be that bad, was mainly thanks to the arrival of PK Subban.
With a healthy Markov and him, Hammer-Spacek-Gill could be used a whole lot less than the previous year and with a year into Martin's system, the aging factor wouldn't hold such a big impact.
But, with Markov injured, PK still brought some type of offensive threat from our back end. With him out of the lineup, our coaches pretty much make our D squad a purely defensive one. Weber is decent, but he's not focusing on his offensive side and is just trying to concentrate on playing good D.

I think PK absolutely needs to be playing, even if he makes mistakes. Point is, we have a better chance of winning with him playing rather than sitting.
We need to change our pairs.
Make Hammer play with PK so he can have a fast offensive player along his side.
Make Spacek play on his natural side and put Gorges next to him. Surely, this would help Spacek.
Make Gill play with Weber, Gill could remain the defensive one and Weber could try to bring more offensive contribution.

This means Picard is sitting. I'm not saying he's the reason why we're in a slump, but I do believe with him out, and our D squad realigned, we'd be better.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
True, Picard certainly hasn't been the reason for our struggles. But, I don't like they way our D squad is composed.
Making our two aging vet play the most yet again for a 2nd season is a recipe for disaster. One can already wonder if Hammer is tired, and matching him up with Spacek who's also slow and might be dealing with some signs of fatigue himself, isn't a good idea.
With the number of therapy days Gorges has had, he must be playing through an injury. We have the luxury of having two talented young Dmen in PK and Weber, we can sit Gorges out for a few if he needs to heal. He's an important part of our Defense and we need him to be in good condition.

Playing Gill for more than 20min is just wrong. He should not be playing that much.
You don't play a #5-6 Dman that much.

The reason we could look at our Dsquad last summer and say, it might actually not be that bad, was mainly thanks to the arrival of PK Subban.
With a healthy Markov and him, Hammer-Spacek-Gill could be used a whole lot less than the previous year and with a year into Martin's system, the aging factor wouldn't hold such a big impact.
But, with Markov injured, PK still brought some type of offensive threat from our back end. With him out of the lineup, our coaches pretty much make our D squad a purely defensive one. Weber is decent, but he's not focusing on his offensive side and is just trying to concentrate on playing good D.

I think PK absolutely needs to be playing, even if he makes mistakes. Point is, we have a better chance of winning with him playing rather than sitting.
We need to change our pairs.
Make Hammer play with PK so he can have a fast offensive player along his side.
Make Spacek play on his natural side and put Gorges next to him. Surely, this would help Spacek.
Make Gill play with Weber, Gill could remain the defensive one and Weber could try to bring more offensive contribution.

This means Picard is sitting. I'm not saying he's the reason why we're in a slump, but I do believe with him out, and our D squad realigned, we'd be better.
So tell me honestly here... Is what you're describing a reason to have 300 posts complaining about him? Is he really performing at a lesser level than what's to be expected? Or should the finger be pointed towards the people making the decisions you're referring to?

There is my entire point.

Old
12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Play PK & White, scratch Picard & Pyatt.
Please.
But Pyatt is the Yoda of penalty killing. You can't scratch him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:11 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
But Pyatt is the Yoda of penalty killing. You can't scratch him.
You're right. Pyatt is the best player in the NHL to have on the ice if you don't want BOTH teams not to score.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote