HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we look at the bright side??

Old
12-16-2010, 12:49 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Can we look at the bright side??

OK, it's always darkest before the dawn, and this year is REALLY dark....

I don't want to talk about Wang, Snow, the Lighthouse, the White house, Obama, Botta, Jaffe, etc....

I just want to look at the lineup we could potentially dress next year and moving forward.... Here are 7 things to consider for next year:

1. we have Okposo coming back next year and I still have confidence he will be a very good player..
2. There are two elite forwards in this draft.. Sean Couturier and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins... There is the possibility the Isles could draft defense and take Larsson, but I think the opportunity to add an elite level offensive player doesn't come around very often, and we take one of these two guys to help Tavares and with the rebuild in general.
3. We can't rely on all youth. Tavares and this team needs a front line skilled player to balance out and lead the team.. I won't ask for too much, how bout a proven 25-30 goal guy that may be able to produce 30-35?? I think the Isles will have to overpay any veteran to come here, but after this embarrassment of a season, I think the Isles will be forced to do whatever it takes to find that guy.

So that gives us Okposo, Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins and a 30 goal veteran.

What else:
4. I believe Bailey will get his confidence back and mature in Bridgeport and will be the player we hoped he would be. I say Bailey will be a legitimate 2nd line player next year.
5. Another piece will be either Neiderreiter being ready next year, or if Neiderreiter isn't ready, we add a second veteran as a one year stop-gap type till El Nino is ready.. A 1-yr contract for a 20-25 goal guy..
Defense:
6. We get Mark Streit back.
7. We add one good free agent blueliner
**resign either Jurcina or Wiz for bottom pairing D-man

Those are my 7 considerations and they are very realistic.. We are getting a top 2 pick, we are getting Okposo and Streit back.. All this calls for is 2 or 3 (if El Nino isn't ready) free agent signings... Asking for one good forward and one good defenseman signing is very realistic..

This doesn't even take into account the long term future and prospects we have on the horizon. With those 7 considerations, here's a glance at next year:

RNH or Couturier - Tavares - a GOOD veteran FA
Niederreiter or FA - Bailey - Okposo
Moulson - Neilsen - Grabner

4th line will take shape in training camp
**if Moulson leaves, maybe Comeau gets one more year.. otherwise bye bye Comeau

Streit - a GOOD FA
McDonald - Hamonic
Jurcina? - Wiz?
DeHaan? - Hillen

Dipietro
Poulin
Koskinen

I am assuming Roloson and Martinek are traded at deadline..
Schremp, Comeau, Papineau, Gervais, Hunter.... bye bye

JUST get us one GOOD free agent forward and one GOOD free agent defenseman and this is a solid and realistic roster. I think Wang will be forced to shell out for at least two LEGIT free agents.. His hand will be forced by this embarrassment!!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Isles727

I 100% agree. Perfectly stated. They need a top 3 forward and top 3 defenseman. I can see them shelling out huge bucks for Semin and big dollars for Christian Ehroff or Pitkanen assuming they hit UFA. They have to blow them out of the water. Wang will need to stop this bleeding and this embarrasment otherwise it will indicate he is getting ready to sell the team. He is not going to fire Snow, i don't think. I think Islanders know that they could be in trouble with getting Tavares signed after his entry level contract expires next year if nothing changes. Remember Tavares has a very influential agent in Pat Brisson.

Isles727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Brunomics

I definitely like where your head is at Petro, but with Courtierier(sp?) and RNH what are their ceilings? I really don't know anything about them and are they really worth picking over Larsson?

I feel if Poulin is the real deal getting Larsson, Hamonic, and De Haan in front of him would severly diminish our goals allowed in the future.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:49 AM
rollin109

Also 100% agree. I dont think that there are many people that would disagree with the fact that we have some solid prospects.

That being said, you cant leave out snow, wang, and the lighthouse, when your talking about the future. The problem is The development of the prospects, and the players brought in around them to support their growth and at the same time produce for the team.

If another owner and or GM were brought in right now, I think everyone would be very excited with this team. We do have the pieces.

The thing that worries me is how this management is going to use those pieces and as of right now its not looking very good.

furthermore, If this team continues the way it has, I cant see any note worthy free agents signing here. Were gonna have a hard enough time resigning our current players.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:50 AM
the sweetener

i dont see the isles drafting a d in the 1st round. They know they need goal scoring. I also dont see moulson on the 3rd line

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles727 View Post
I 100% agree. Perfectly stated. They need a top 3 forward and top 3 defenseman. I can see them shelling out huge bucks for Semin and big dollars for Christian Ehroff or Pitkanen assuming they hit UFA.

Thanks I needed a good laugh. Yea... Semin is going to leave Washington and Ehrhoff is going to leave Vancouver to come HERE. To the toilet bowl of the NHL. The Isles can DOUBLE what anyone else offers and those guys STILL wouldn't come here.

Let's look at the bright side. DP only has 11 years left on his contract.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post

Thanks I needed a good laugh. Yea... Semin is going to leave Washington and Ehrhoff is going to leave Vancouver to come HERE. To the toilet bowl of the NHL. The Isles can DOUBLE what anyone else offers and those guys STILL wouldn't come here.

I agree, there is no way those guys are coming here. BUT...there will be options, players with baggage that other teams won't want to pay.

Guys like Ryder, Sturm, Justin Williams, Fleischman, Gagne, Connolly etc. may be willing to take the money here on a short term deal in an attempt to increase their value.

With the money this team will need to spend just to reach the floor, adding two forwards with proven ability is not unrealistic.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:33 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

I think as we get closer to the draft and more information is published regarding the prospects, we can get a much better idea of what's the best move with the #1 or #2 overall.

This is very early in the season for a draft-eligible player and players can move up or down significantly within the same year.

Last year Seguin didn't make the WJC team and went #2 overall - some felt would go first.

This year, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was one of the last cuts for Canada - Couturier made the team. It'll be nice to get a look at these prospects in an elite tournament like that one - especially Larsson who many of us never see play.

I don't think the Islanders should draft by today's need whatsoever. If one player emerges to be the CLEAR leader with the highest upside, that's the guy they have to take.

I suspect these players will be very close, not unlike Tavares, Duchene, Hedman so at that point, may as well draft on need since it's very likely they'll be in the NHL next season.

If there's anything to be optimistic about, it's that with all these high picks, there has to be some success at some point, even by sheer accident.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Moosie

The bright side? Only 54 more games left this season?

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
IwayMike

You left some stuff out of your post. Didn't you mean "Bush's Whitehouse", since his administration killed the economy? And you forgot to add the "GOP party of NO not supporting" before your Obama reference.

Without those changes it seems that your post shows you are paying too much time on the Islanders and not enough on the world at large.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Bones45

lol..this place is funny... alot to enjoy in this thread.

I was hoping to read something new, or at least something which could make me turn my head and think.. "wow.. there really IS something to be happy about"

There isnt.

We have been debating and thinking about what we need for this team to improve for 10 years. Its always been JUST around the corner.. "In 2 years, this team will be good!!!"

No. No it won't.

This team is going to continue to suck, and suck HARD, until the owner wants to put money into it. Until then, Im scaling back my interest. Im like Rocky in the late rounds -- too dazed and confused to understand I'm getting pummeled.

Side note: Not sure how Bush got blamed for destroying the economy. I hate Bush, but the economy is cyclical. It goes up and down. Good Ole American greed, and lack of regulation in the US mortgage industry caused a global recession. Dont give that moron Bush any credit.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Macch

The only thing unrealistic about your post is the part where the Isles go out and sign good UFAs. Why haven't we learned yet that its just not going to happen. We will continue to recycle the Parenteaus of the NHL through our lineup until we have a new owner.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Zanny

Don't leave Landeskog out of the equation. Snow may pick him with the first overall. He has size he hits, fights and scores. Seems to be a perfect fit for JT on his wing. In the end if their is little difference in ability, I can't say that I would be disapointed to see landeskog on Tavares's wing next year.

I can't wait to see the world juniors to check out Couturier, Larsson and Landeskog.

Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:12 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Im like Rocky in the late rounds -- too dazed and confused to understand I'm getting pummeled.
which movie? cuz most of them end pretty good for the Italian Stallion!

fans really don't see a brighter side? three wins in regulation this year - there really is no "downside" anymore, seriously.

Last edited by redbull: 12-16-2010 at 10:18 AM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
after this draft and with the other drafts, we have excellent prospects and young nhlers.

we just lack the veterans to play with them. they most likely wont reach their full potential because of this.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

I have an idea for the draft...

How about drafting the best SKATER available? Maybe try that route for once. Are you fast? Great. You're the #1 pick. Sick of seeing ****ing turtles and snails out there.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
1. we have Okposo coming back next year and I still have confidence he will be a very good player..
2. There are two elite forwards in this draft.. Sean Couturier and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins... There is the possibility the Isles could draft defense and take Larsson, but I think the opportunity to add an elite level offensive player doesn't come around very often, and we take one of these two guys to help Tavares and with the rebuild in general.
3. We can't rely on all youth. Tavares and this team needs a front line skilled player to balance out and lead the team.. I won't ask for too much, how bout a proven 25-30 goal guy that may be able to produce 30-35?? I think the Isles will have to overpay any veteran to come here, but after this embarrassment of a season, I think the Isles will be forced to do whatever it takes to find that guy.
Just a word of caution. I'd hesitate to start throwing the word "elite" out there already. I think both Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins have the chance to be very good players down the line, but I think the consensus is that neither of them will be as dynamic or impact as guys like Stamkos or even Hall.

Also, I don't think either guy will be ready next September to jump in to the NHL and be ready to contribute instantly. RNH is a stick figure, so he'll either have to really bulk up, or he'll definitely struggle with the strength aspect in the NHL. And Couturier, while more physically ready than RNH, has to work on his overall skating and footspeed before he can be any sort of top line player in the league.

In other words, I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment if you think either of these guys will be the answer for your first line woes, or your answer for the struggles Tavares is dealing with right now, at least by next season. Down the road, sure. But 2011-12? Very unlikely.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
periferal

Stop it...Just stop it.

I am on optimist, but I'm a realist first. Only wanting to focus on the Isles lineup issues as opposed to front office issues is like only focusing on your pool when your house is burning down.

Without good ownership (and we have the worst owner in sports) it doesn't matter who is on the ice. While talent is certainly vital to a team's success, attitude is just as important and there is a culture of losing around the Islanders like never before.

If you polled every single current NHL player and asked them to rank, from 1-30, how proud they would be to play for each franchise, you know without a doubt the Islanders are finishing at the bottom. You don't think that wears on our current players? You don't think that if given a choice some/most of them wouldn't rather play for the Red Wings...? The Blackhawks...? The Canadians...? All players will give an honest effort and say the right things, but if Tavares got traded to St. Louis today I promise you he would be quite pleased and at the very least relieved.

And why? Because Wang has made the Islanders embarrassing to play for. And in a league as good as the NHL where the talent is so good and you have to take any advantage you can get, you cannot win when you don't have pride in where you work.

So if you want to keep ignoring the fact that the Islanders are sinking like the Titanic because of Wang, then you can go play shuffleboard on the main deck. Me? I'm getting on one of the life boats.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:26 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post

The only way these players come here is if we get a legit front office. Since we have Chairman Wang as our dictator. That will never happen.

Players would come if we ran our front office correctly. If you build it they will come type of thing.

We should get 10,000 bow ties made up and throw them on the ice signaling that we want Torrey back

After this year we will only have 10 years of the DP awesomeness . I will say I can't believe he is not hurt. He could come back to form in one of these 10 years

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
We should get 10,000 bow ties made up and throw them on the ice signaling that we want Torrey back
THAT is a killer idea.

the problem is not getting the bow-ties, rather getting 10,000 people to show up.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Just a word of caution. I'd hesitate to start throwing the word "elite" out there already. I think both Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins have the chance to be very good players down the line, but I think the consensus is that neither of them will be as dynamic or impact as guys like Stamkos or even Hall.

Also, I don't think either guy will be ready next September to jump in to the NHL and be ready to contribute instantly. RNH is a stick figure, so he'll either have to really bulk up, or he'll definitely struggle with the strength aspect in the NHL. And Couturier, while more physically ready than RNH, has to work on his overall skating and footspeed before he can be any sort of top line player in the league.

In other words, I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment if you think either of these guys will be the answer for your first line woes, or your answer for the struggles Tavares is dealing with right now, at least by next season. Down the road, sure. But 2011-12? Very unlikely.
Hmmm where have I heard that before. That's all the Isles need. Guarantee they draft him because of that reason alone.

Old
12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
THAT is a killer idea.

the problem is not getting the bow-ties, rather getting 10,000 people to show up.
10 people ....1000 bowties each

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Give Snow a chance....he's only been here three years.

Just like Don Maloney. Oh, irony.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I am on optimist, but I'm a realist first. Only wanting to focus on the Isles lineup issues as opposed to front office issues is like only focusing on your pool when your house is burning down.

Without good ownership (and we have the worst owner in sports) it doesn't matter who is on the ice. While talent is certainly vital to a team's success, attitude is just as important and there is a culture of losing around the Islanders like never before.

If you polled every single current NHL player and asked them to rank, from 1-30, how proud they would be to play for each franchise, you know without a doubt the Islanders are finishing at the bottom. You don't think that wears on our current players? You don't think that if given a choice some/most of them wouldn't rather play for the Red Wings...? The Blackhawks...? The Canadians...? All players will give an honest effort and say the right things, but if Tavares got traded to St. Louis today I promise you he would be quite pleased and at the very least relieved.

And why? Because Wang has made the Islanders embarrassing to play for. And in a league as good as the NHL where the talent is so good and you have to take any advantage you can get, you cannot win when you don't have pride in where you work.

So if you want to keep ignoring the fact that the Islanders are sinking like the Titanic because of Wang, then you can go play shuffleboard on the main deck. Me? I'm getting on one of the life boats.
I know you cannot look at the overall state of team strictly from the point of personnel on the ice, but there are MANY threads on all the other issues, and those things are completely out of the control of us fans... I have no control over whether Wang sells or spends, keeps team here or leaves, if Snow keeps his job or gets the axe, if Botta is allowed in the building or not, if Howie Rose slips up again and admits to wearing Depends underneath his pants........ we have no control over any of that..

As a fan, it's nice to just every once in awhile look at this from improving player personnel..

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote