HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Faceoffs

Old
12-16-2010, 01:29 AM
YeahButStill

vCash: 500
Question about Faceoffs

Sometimes, you'll see the players get in for a faceoff together and the referee will make one player go on a wing and make someone else center before he drops the puck; usually very last second. If I remember correctly, this happened to Brian Boyle the other night.

I'm curious as to why this happens?

YeahButStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:39 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahButStill View Post
Sometimes, you'll see the players get in for a faceoff together and the referee will make one player go on a wing and make someone else center before he drops the puck; usually very last second. If I remember correctly, this happened to Brian Boyle the other night.

I'm curious as to why this happens?
Sort of like a miniscule penalty for trying to get the puck before the Ref drops it. Like jumping the gun in a race before it shoots.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:41 AM
YeahButStill

Never realized that. Thanks!

YeahButStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:33 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Faceoff Encroachment

76.6 Violations –

If a center should move prematurely prior to the face-off, or if the Referee or Linesman shall have dropped the puck unfairly, the face-off shall be considered a face-off violation and it must be conducted again.

When a least two face-off violations have been committed by the same team during the same face-off, this team shall be penalized with a bench minor penalty to the offending team. This penalty shall be announced as a “Bench Minor Penalty for Delay of Game – Face-off Violation.”
Face-off violations shall be summarized as follows (any of the four on-ice officials may identify a face-off violation):

(i) Encroachment by any player other than the center into the face-off area prior to the puck being dropped. Players on the perimeter of the face-off circle must keep both skates outside the face-off circle (skate contact with the line is permitted). If a player's skate crosses the line into the face-off circle prior to the drop of the puck, this shall be deemed as a face-off violation. A player's stick may be inside the face-off circle provided there is no physical contact with his opponent or his opponent's stick.

(ii) Encroachment by any player into the area between the hash marks on the outer edges of the face-off circle prior to the puck being dropped. Players must also ensure that both of their skates do not cross their respective hash marks. Contact with the line with their skate is permitted. If a player's skate crosses the line into the area between the hash marks prior to the drop of the puck, this shall be deemed as a face-off violation. A player's stick may be inside the area between the hash marks provided there is no physical contact with his opponent or his opponent's stick.

(iii) Any physical contact with an opponent prior to the puck being dropped.

(iv) Failure by either center taking the face-off to properly position himself behind the restraining lines or place his stick on the ice (as outlined in Rule 76.4). "Properly position himself behind the restraining lines" shall mean that the center must place his feet on either side of the restraining lines that are parallel to the side boards (contact with the lines is permissible), and the toe of the blade of his skates must not cross over the restraining lines that are perpendicular to the side boards as he approaches the face-off spot.

The blade of the stick must then be placed on the ice (at least the toe of the blade of the stick) in the designated white area of the face-off spot and must remain there until the puck is dropped.
Failure to comply with this positioning and face-off procedure will result in a face-off violation.
Whenever a team has committed two face-off violations during the same face-off, the Referee shall immediately assess the offending team a bench minor penalty for delay of game. This penalty shall be announced as a “Bench Minor Penalty for Delay of Game – Face-off Violation.”

Players who are late to the face-off location and therefore in an off-side position for the ensuing face-off will be warned once in the game by the Referee. This warning will also be given to the offending team’s Coach. Any subsequent violation shall result in a bench minor penalty for delay of game being assessed to the offending team. This penalty shall be announced as a “Bench Minor Penalty for Delay of Game – Slow Proceeding to Face-off Location.”

In the conduct of any face-off at any of the nine (9) face-off spots on the playing surface, no player facing-off shall make any physical contact with his opponent’s body by means of his own body or by his stick except in the course of playing the puck after the face-off has been completed.
For violation of this rule, the Referee may, at his discretion impose a minor penalty or penalties on the player(s) whose action(s) caused the physical contact. Nonetheless, this physical contact prior to the dropping of the puck shall be deemed as a face-off violation and the Linesman shall order the center of the offending team replaced.

Face-off encroachment may be applied during face-offs at any of the nine (9) face-off spots on the playing surface. However, since no such lines are painted on the ice at the four (4) face-off spots adjacent to the blue lines, Linesmen shall use their judgment as to whether or not a violation has occurred. All players, other than the centers, shall be uniformly back from the face-off location similar to being outside the face-off circle for face-offs in the end zones.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26487

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
IAMREALITY

That's the one part of the game that's dang near impossible to explain to someone new to hockey; yet one of the first questions they will sometimes ask.

You can see the rules that are posted above this post, but I dare you to see these infractions real time. Even in slo mo I can't tell what the heck happened sometimes!

To make it worse, it seems so arbitrary and subjective. Sometimes you'll see a ton of movement in the circle and everything's all fine and dandy, and other times you'll see basically nothing and yet the player gets kicked.

All these years of my watching hockey and I'll be damned if I can figure out the whole faceoff tossing thing lol

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote