HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit JWC-tracker

Old
12-22-2010, 08:25 AM
loojay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Apparently Callahan had a good game yesterday. He started off as the 13th forward and it seems like he's been used at all three forward positions with in the two last games. Someone in the USA U20-thread praised his versatility and said, despite being a big Rocco Grimaldi fan, would take Mitch over Grimaldi for the 13th forward.

So, it looks like we have another situation similar to Sheahan. He's been good in camp and seems to have a good chance of making the team, BUT he could very easily be cut...

Still waiting for an injured Swedish D and Canadian forward to give Riley and AA a chance of making the team

Team USA will be annonced at 9.10 EST on their facebook page.
Looks like Mitch Callahan made it. Congrats.

loojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:16 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loojay View Post
Looks like Mitch Callahan made it. Congrats.
Yes he did. A really great thing for him! Congrats!

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Good little piece on Callahan.

Quote:
While Team USA does possess a few snipers and bona fide playmakers, Allain also will have the luxury to call upon a few grinders. In particular, forward Mitchell Callahan, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound bundle of energy who has 15 goals, 33 points and 62 penalty minutes in his third season with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League. Of all the drafted players on the roster, Callahan was taken the latest -- sixth round (No. 180 overall) by the Detroit Red Wings in 2009.

Shane McColgan, Callahan's teammate in Kelowna, predicted last week in his exclusive NHL.com blog that his fellow Californian would be a perfect fit for Team USA.

"For the U.S. team, I think he can bring an energy-line role as well as an agitating role," McColgan wrote. "He gets under the players' skin pretty well and obviously he's leading our team in scoring, so he can do that, as well. He can bring the whole package, but I'm sure what the U.S. will want from him is to bring energy, bring those big hits to get the team going."

Allain, who preaches puck possession and speed through the neutral zone, will be looking to counter opposing speed with some grit of his own.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
ChadS

Pulkkinen is sick and won't play tonight against Canada in a pre-tournament game.

Old
12-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Pulkkinen is sick and won't play tonight against Canada in a pre-tournament game.
That sucks. I guess it is flu season, maybe a little home ice advantage to the North American immune system?

BTW, what # is Jarnkrok wearing? I seen a little of the Canada game and couldn't seem to pick him out.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
That sucks. I guess it is flu season, maybe a little home ice advantage to the North American immune system?

BTW, what # is Jarnkrok wearing? I seen a little of the Canada game and couldn't seem to pick him out.
Here are the WJC jersey # for our prospects:

Calle Järnkrok, SWE, #19
Teemu Pulkkinen, FIN, #6
Mitchell Callahan, USA, #24 or #14?
Andrej Nestrasil, CZE, #11

I actually think it's good that Pulkkinen isnt playing because last year we saw some dirty hits by the Canadians and I don't really want Teemu to be injured in an exhibition match...

Last edited by ChadS: 12-24-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old
12-24-2010, 04:57 AM
ChadS

Nestrasil scored in their pre-tournament match against Germany. No info on assists...

Old
12-24-2010, 07:05 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Nestrasil scored in their pre-tournament match against Germany. No info on assists...
no assists. his goal was the game winner.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
no assists. his goal was the game winner.
I hope he has a huge tournament, desperately want him to get a contract.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
I was happy when I read the bolded part...thought it meant that a future prospect looked really good. Then I kept on reading and realized that he had a cold

What can you tell me about this guy, what style of play does he have, who can you compare him to? I guess he's a two-way forward as all Detroit players?

Btw, Merry Christmas

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:55 PM
ChadS

Anyone going to watch USA-Finland today? Pulkkinen and Callahan playing, Teemu on the 1st line and Mitch as the 13th forward. Starts at 8PM ET.

I was thinking of watching some of Sweden's game as well. It starts at 4PM ET. Go Ironhook!

Edit. Apparently no stream for the Sweden game.

Last edited by ChadS: 12-26-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old
12-26-2010, 03:15 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

It sucks, I can't watch Sweden play, but I'm watching a very exciting Canada-Russia game. Too bad Sheahan didn't make it, I really want to see him play once.

Russia just scored now. Urychev with Tarasenko assisting.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 03:23 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Kuznetsov is damn impressive, we could use a guy like this in the system.

Old
12-26-2010, 03:27 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Canada are playing very sloppy right now. Their PP is all over the place. The nerves are getting the best of them IMO.

Russia is matching the Canada's physicality too.

Sweden leading 2-0, Ironhook doesn't have any points yet.

Old
12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
ChadS

No points for Calle in a 7-1 win... And +/- 0 as his linemates where +1 and +2. Hope he's able to put in some offence in the next games.

Next up Pulu&Mitch, never seen Callahan play

Old
12-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Armia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

What can you tell me about this guy, what style of play does he have, who can you compare him to? I guess he's a two-way forward as all Detroit players?
Do you mean Pulkkinen? I can tell you lots of things about him if you do mean him. For the record I live in helsinki and I'm a die hard Jokerit fan. Get to see every home game.

Armia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 06:10 PM
zecke26

calle is not really needed against norway. his important games will come soon.
and maybe he saves his energy for the games we can watch. i hope this is the last WJC in the US for a long time.

Old
12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armia View Post
Do you mean Pulkkinen? I can tell you lots of things about him if you do mean him. For the record I live in helsinki and I'm a die hard Jokerit fan. Get to see every home game.
I'm pretty curious about Pulkkinen, too. Second on the team in points at 18 years of age seems damn impressive, but is it for the SM-liiga? Is it a big deal?

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I'm pretty curious about Pulkkinen, too. Second on the team in points at 18 years of age seems damn impressive, but is it for the SM-liiga? Is it a big deal?
It's the highest level of hockey in Finland and he's doing pretty well for his age. Slightly off pace for the rookie point record.

He plays on the second line and does a pretty good job setting up his team's top scorer. He's pretty consistent, chips in with a point or two in most games. Consistently creates opportunities. Not too sure if his shoulder is still at 100% yet. Impressive so far regardless.

redacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 09:51 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Just watched the 3rd period of USA vs. Finland...

Not sure if Callahan played at all. I didn't hear his name called.

That was the first time i've gotten a chance to see Pulkkinen live. I've seen highlight clips of his shot, but never seen him in action for an entire shift. The first thing i noticed was his skating style. I found his stride and stance to be a bit unusal. He made a very good pass on the tying goal that ended up sending the game to overtime. He got the puck in the neutral zone and quickly sent a pass to a player with speed who attacked the offensive zone and the rebound was capitalized on. Without knowing it was him as the play happened i said "good pass right there." He ended up with the secondary assist. Earlier in the period he set up another good scoring chance for Finland. He was along the end-boards in the offensive zone when he got the puck and quickly fed a player in front of the net. Early in the period he was attacking with speed into the offensive zone and attempted to release his cannon. He's got a huge windup as seen in his highlight clips, but he gets it off pretty quick. With that being said, it's so hard to effectively use a big wind up at the higher levels of hockey. As a result his shots were deflected. I heard the announcers say he was leading Finland with 3 shots on goal, but i missed the first 2 periods so i didn't see what type of shots they were. Pulkkinen was also involved in the overtime goal against. Finland had control of the puck in the defensive zone and Pulkkinen was trying to gain speed into the neutral zone. As a Finnish defender attempted to spring Pulkinnen with a pass, a turnover occured in which the U.S. scored on. I couldn't tell whether the puck hit Pulkkinen in the skate or never reached him. Either way it was the last play of the game.

All and all it's tough to really get a good feel for a player by only watching 1 period of hockey + overtime.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Armia

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Its a big deal, he is also in the top 10 in SM-Leagues overall scoring, he should still score more goals though.

On even strenght he plays in the second line with Janne Lahti (currently the leading goalscorer in sm-league, not least because of Pulu's assists) and Antti Kerälä (who is pretty crappy player, but evolving). Before this season he was pretty one dimensional goal scorer, but this season he has found new aspects to his game, his passes are great and accurate and now he even defends, atleast to some point. His overall hockey IQ is just amazing, he is one of the smartest players in Sm-league hockey-wise.

Every game he seems better and better, his speed is increasing etc.
He is absolute beast in the PP, when he mans the point his slapshot is just wicked, thats how he makes most of his goals. Im still pretty concerned of his even strenght goals. At first he scored a lot on even strenght, but now he has had a cold streak with goals, not with points because even with lack of goals he can still contribute as a playmaker (which is wonderful ability from a player who mostly is there for the goals). Im sure that he will get the monkey off his back someday, he has had a lot of chances where he just haven't been able to bury it and lets hope that this WJC helps him to regain his confidence.

Im sure that he will be a good player, and scorer, in the NHL in a few season. He needs one more season in SM-League though, but I think that after that he could be able to jump straight to NHL if there is a roster spot for him, he doesnt need any adjusting time for NA Rink in the AHL.

edit: If something is unclear or you want to know more, just ask.

Last edited by Armia: 12-27-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Armia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 05:57 AM
waltdetroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
You do realize that "The Stars & Bars" was the nickname for the Confederates flag (officially known as the first national flag) in the Civil War right and not the flag of the United States which is "Old Glory"
Maybe "Stars & Stripes" is what u mean

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
Maybe "Stars & Stripes" is what u mean
That as well

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Not sure if Callahan played at all. I didn't hear his name called.
i watched moreless the whole game, even though i sometimes had the wings on another stream, but i didn't see at least once.

pulkkinen was very noticable. at the beginning of the game i tried to focus on #6, but then i realized that pulkkinen stands out each shift because he's a smurf. it was either him or vatanen, but pulkkinen looked stronger. while being small, he's much stronger than i remember him from other tournaments. he played through traffic and never shied away. this part of his game i really liked.
what i don't like are his attempts to use his slapshot all the time. his shots were blocked a lot, because he decided to use a slapshot instead of a quick wrister. is his wrist shot that bad?

in general a solid game and i'm looking forward to watch more games of him.

Old
12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
what i don't like are his attempts to use his slapshot all the time. his shots were blocked a lot, because he decided to use a slapshot instead of a quick wrister. is his wrist shot that bad?
His wrister is actually quite good as well, but I think it only shows that he's not used to the smaller rink. Less time and defenceman get their sticks in front of the shot more easily. Actually it was funny to see him take those shots because this season in Finland he has often made another move in that situation. As you probably saw, he got lots of those similar chances and with Jokerit he would shoot from maybe 1/3 of them. Sometimes he attempts to go pass the d-man and sometimes gives a pass.

I expect him to elevate his game against Switzerland on Tuesday and hope Finland gets some PP as well. It could be lethal with Vatanen and Pulkkinen on the point.