HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason for the Versus blackout (?)

Old
12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

vCash: 500
Reason for the Versus blackout (?)

Hey guys, many of us who tuned into Versus last night were treated to a skiing competition instead of the Rangers/Pens game as advertised. This was a huge problem for any of us in the area who have Charter as a service provider in the tri-state, as we don't get MSG2 and had no other outlet to watch the game.

Initially I thought Versus had messed up, so irately, I called them up to inform them that they were showing the wrong thing. They informed me that it was the NHL's decision to black the game out in our area and that they alone make the decision to do so.

Now, I'm not new to this-- I have a masters degree in television/radio/film, but maybe I missed a class or two because I've never heard of a nationally televised game being blacked out in an opposing team's market. What would they have to gain by depriving us this? If the game wasn't a sell out (although I bet it was), there's no reason that I can think of to take it out on metro NYers.

The only guesses I can venture that make the slightest hint of a modicum of sense are too laughable to post even on this board, and yes, that's saying something. Anyone have ideas as to why this might have happened and how we can prevent it in the future?

Regardless, the NHL got an angry letter.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Leetch3

the game was on MSG2, vs didn't have exclusive rights so they probably can't broadcast against msg

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
the game was on MSG2, vs didn't have exclusive rights so they probably can't broadcast against msg
Yep. I didn't watch it on Versus (well, couldn't even if I had for some reason wanted to).

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Osminator

Here my input as a Euro: Blackouts of any kind are the dumbest things ever... Show the game or don't announce it and show something else. There would be riot with dead people in Europe if you announced, say Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, and then black it out... hahahaha...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:22 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
This was my initial thought, but it seems like something they would have checked before they decided to advertise the game, schedule programming around it, elect not to show other things, etc.

I guess maybe this says more about VS than the NHL. Nothing we didn't already know, that is.

Thanks guys.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:23 AM
IAMREALITY

It pissed me off so badly.

Even though I have MSG2, friggin Comcast's guide had something else listed there. Only Versus had the Ranger game listed on their guide, so that's what I hit to record (I DVR every game so I can skip whistles, commercials and intermissions).

I was so pissed when I sat down at 10:30 with my chips and dip to watch the game, only to see some stupid skiing crap. Infuriated actually. I don't miss any games ever, and had been looking forward to watching not only because we had more than a few days off since our last game, but since we were playing Pittsburgh.

So I searched the Comcast guide in hopes that there would be a Rangers in 60 at 11 pm or midnight or something. Didn't see anything at first but NYGiants rewind from 11-12 and Boomer and Carson from 12-1. But then to my pleasure I saw Rangers in 60 listed on MSGHD from 1-2 am, so I clicked record and went back to playing COD: Black Ops to pass the little over 2 hours until it started.

If all that wasn't already bad enough, when I sat back down at 1:15 to start watching the Rangers in 60, what do I see but friggin Boomer and Carson!!! ******* listing's wrong again!

So I searched online to see if there were any streaming videos of the game so I could call it a night. After a ton of frustrated searching I basically gave up, and now it was a few minutes till 2 am. I decided hell with it... I already stayed up that late I might as well wait a few minutes to see what's on MSG next, after Boomer.

Well what a turn of luck it was Rangers in 60! So I sat and watched it real time, and finally went to bed after 3am.

Yeah, I'm tired today; but I got to see my Rangers kick some Penguin ass! (albeit not until the last 10 minutes of the game, but still)

Blackouts suck...

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
This was my initial thought, but it seems like something they would have checked before they decided to advertise the game, schedule programming around it, elect not to show other things, etc.

I guess maybe this says more about VS than the NHL. Nothing we didn't already know, that is.

Thanks guys.
Versus isn't just for the metro area, so the blackout only applies to those markets where both Versus AND MSG2 were available concurrently. Every market outside the NYC area watched the Vs feed just fine, so their programming etc was appropriate.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
So I searched the Comcast guide in hopes that there would be a Rangers in 60 at 11 pm or midnight or something. Didn't see anything at first but NYGiants rewind from 11-12 and Boomer and Carson from 12-1. But then to my pleasure I saw Rangers in 60 listed on MSGHD from 1-2 am, so I clicked record and went back to playing COD: Black Ops to pass the little over 2 hours until it started.

If all that wasn't already bad enough, when I sat back down at 1:15 to start watching the Rangers in 60, what do I see but friggin Boomer and Carson!!! ******* listing's wrong again!
Yeah, I hear you on that one, too. The reliability of the MSG guide listings is a whole different thread.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Versus isn't just for the metro area, so the blackout only applies to those markets where both Versus AND MSG2 were available concurrently. Every market outside the NYC area watched the Vs feed just fine, so their programming etc was appropriate.
Ah, yes. That makes sense. I guess we, or at least those of us with our service providers, should point the finger at MSG for relegating the Rangers to MSG2 in favor of the Devils.

Last edited by proper animal: 12-16-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Here my input as a Euro: Blackouts of any kind are the dumbest things ever... Show the game or don't announce it and show something else. There would be riot with dead people in Europe if you announced, say Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, and then black it out... hahahaha...
Jesus, you know its probably not far from truth. Lol

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
redfzn

was anyone able to find the game in hd last night? i got stuck watching it on ch 197 (time warner manhattan) which obv is not hd, ugh.

i didn't mind the knicks being on 727 (msghd) but what was up with the devs on 748 (msg+hd)?

terrible.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
was anyone able to find the game in hd last night? i got stuck watching it on ch 197 (time warner manhattan) which obv is not hd, ugh.

i didn't mind the knicks being on 727 (msghd) but what was up with the devs on 748 (msg+hd)?

terrible.

It was on in HD on 414 Cablevision.

12-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Acew61

Quote:
No we didn't. Upstate NY was blacked out; without even the availability of MSG2. Also clearly remember a dude from Maine complaining it was blacked out as well in the GDT.

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:03 AM
mullichicken25

i successfully avoided hearing anything about the game form anyone because i wasn't going to be bale to watch it until later and i was really pumped for this game

then i came home, ready to watch comercial + intermission free hoceky, only to find out I DVR'd some skiing event
damn you versus!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:19 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
Hey guys, many of us who tuned into Versus last night were treated to a skiing competition instead of the Rangers/Pens game as advertised. This was a huge problem for any of us in the area who have Charter as a service provider in the tri-state, as we don't get MSG2 and had no other outlet to watch the game.

Initially I thought Versus had messed up, so irately, I called them up to inform them that they were showing the wrong thing. They informed me that it was the NHL's decision to black the game out in our area and that they alone make the decision to do so.

Now, I'm not new to this-- I have a masters degree in television/radio/film, but maybe I missed a class or two because I've never heard of a nationally televised game being blacked out in an opposing team's market. What would they have to gain by depriving us this? If the game wasn't a sell out (although I bet it was), there's no reason that I can think of to take it out on metro NYers.

The only guesses I can venture that make the slightest hint of a modicum of sense are too laughable to post even on this board, and yes, that's saying something. Anyone have ideas as to why this might have happened and how we can prevent it in the future?

Regardless, the NHL got an angry letter.
I had the same issue. I am stationed up at Fort Drum near Syracuse. I have Direct Tv and Center Ice at my house, but I'm moving, and the hotel I was in had TWC.

Anyway, I've lived up here for a while, and every time the Buffalo Boring Sabres play, they black out the Rangers on regular MSG.

If the Knicks and the Buffalo Loser Boring Sabres play on the same night, they double black out the Rangers on any network. Hence, last night they both played, and the VS telecast was a spot decision (I think). So, in order to maintain high rating for the Buffablow Sabres, they decided to air alternate programming on VS here in the upstate NY region.

It sucks, because the TV's at work have basic cable, and it seems like those friggin lame-ass Sabres always play on the same night as the Rangers, which means the games get blacked out.

Best solution is to buy Center Ice for DTV. The only problem with that would be that you wont get the Rangers games in HD on the nights the motherless Sabres are playing.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I friggin hate the Sabres for that reason and that reason only.

So in advance, bump the Sabres and Rangers schedules side by side and on the nights they both play, and most certainly anticipate a blackout.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
i had it in HD on IO channel 414

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:29 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
No we didn't. Upstate NY was blacked out; without even the availability of MSG2. Also clearly remember a dude from Maine complaining it was blacked out as well in the GDT.
You're still in NY.

And one man in Maine doesn't quite obliterate my statement.

It was a simplistic reply for sure, but overall the blackout occurs in those markets that an MSG feed is available in. There might be some relatively few quirky exceptions, but overall that statement holds true.

There are real reasons for blackouts. They don't just do them to make you or some insignificant man from Maine angry.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Ya, CT resident here with Cox Cable (I don't have MSG). I was able to watch the first period, and then about a half a minute into the second period VS switched me over to skiing. Awful. Ranger games on TV are a rarity for me, so it was a bit disappointing.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
That's the only useful thing about soccer fans' craziness lol.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:58 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post

It sucks, because the TV's at work have basic cable, and it seems like those friggin lame-ass Sabres always play on the same night as the Rangers, which means the games get blacked out.

Best solution is to buy Center Ice for DTV. The only problem with that would be that you wont get the Rangers games in HD on the nights the motherless Sabres are playing.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I friggin hate the Sabres for that reason and that reason only.

So in advance, bump the Sabres and Rangers schedules side by side and on the nights they both play, and most certainly anticipate a blackout.
Hah, I know your pain all too well. I had the same problem when I was at SU.

I guess the issue is that the NHL can't discern which providers have both Versus and MSG2, nor does it have the ability to black it out selectively to those that have it, so they just decided to take their chances and black it out for the whole region.

I guess the NHL didn't do much out of the ordinary and our gripe is really with our service providers for not carrying MSG2 (or in some cases even MSG/MSG+), and MSG itself for electing to show the Islanders/Devils over the Rangers on the flagship channel. I don't think this happens with other cities/areas as most don't have 3 channels for all their teams' programming.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:25 AM
ZacUSNYR

The black outs are ridiculous this year. For every one game I get I swear 3-5 games are blacked out.

I'm in upstate, every time the Sabres and Rangers are on i'm blacked out. Same with devils/islanders. But I just think the Sabres schedule is aligning with the Rangers more often this season because it's ridiculous.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
i had it in HD on IO channel 414
Yeah I also had it on 414, HD. I'm in Suffolk county.

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:44 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

The fact that MSG2 isn't in HD in all places adds even more fuel to the fire when the Devils/Isles are on MSG/MSG+ instead of the Rangers. Do people really need to see Rick DiPietro hang his head in shame 6 times a night in sparkling clarity?

Old
12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I had the same issue. I am stationed up at Fort Drum near Syracuse. I have Direct Tv and Center Ice at my house, but I'm moving, and the hotel I was in had TWC.

Anyway, I've lived up here for a while, and every time the Buffalo Boring Sabres play, they black out the Rangers on regular MSG.

If the Knicks and the Buffalo Loser Boring Sabres play on the same night, they double black out the Rangers on any network. Hence, last night they both played, and the VS telecast was a spot decision (I think). So, in order to maintain high rating for the Buffablow Sabres, they decided to air alternate programming on VS here in the upstate NY region.

10th mtn guy huh ? thanks for your service bro.

im in the same boat here in cicero and i agree with what you wrote 1000%. i hate the sabres for the same reasons. like im gonna watch the sabres ? um, no.

i absolutely hate coming home thinking im gonna watch the game and then getting blacked out.

i laugh at these guys complaning they have to watch the game in low def. we get no def. no game. nothing.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Charter really screws us when it comes to the Rangers. MSG/Cablevision as well, obviously, because they make it too pricey for any other cable companies to make it worth while to carry an MSG2 or the HD MSG feeds. I can't stand being upstate.

We're not in Buffalo territory. You want to black the Rangers out for the Habs, fine. No one cares about Buffalo this far east. No one.

And screw Dolan for having a monopoly on all things hockey in New York.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote