HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Aaron Volpatti recalled, Andersson sent down

Old
12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
CM-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Does anyone else feel that come the playoffs none of our fringe guys will be playing 4C and we'll either role with 3 centres or have Hodgson up?
I got the same feeling if Hodgson comes back and gets a fair chunk of games in before the deadline. I think he'll be our "4th line" Center and QB'ing the 2nd unit PP which will not hurt us for the play-offs imo.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
How about a nickname? Maybe Aaron "Peppermint" Volpatti...
Like a couple of Moose before him, Volpatti has no fear, fighting above his weight class as Kevin Bieksa used to and Rick Rypien does when he is able to play.[/INDENT]http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ry...#ixzz18PBqpZy9
A bit of a dig there?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
whut, say again?

a "vastly" inferior player? lol. Volpatti is 25 and playing basically his first professional season. Andersson is 29, played 9 career NHL games and bounced around the IHL, AHL, Sweden, Finland and Russia. For a guy bringing all sorts of skill to the 4th line, he managed 1 shot in 4 games.

I'm not hating on Andersson; I thought he had a respectable showing in his four games. But he's not "vastly" superior to Volpatti, especially for a 4th line role. Neither are anything more than a marginal NHLer at best. Andersson had his chance to make his mark, and while solid, wasn't outstanding (closer to barely noticeable if we're honest). Now give Volpatti a few games to see if his skill set translates to the bigs.
With some of the players who have played on the 4th line the past few seasons here, I'll take 'barely noticeable' over Ryan Johnson, Byron Ritchie, Guillaume Desbiens, Matt Pettinger, Tommi Santala, Mike Brown, Joel Perrault, Marc Chouinard, Darcy Hordichuk, Jeff Cowan and any other career minor leaguer we can stick on that line.

What I liked about Andersson was that he could actually skate and handle the puck, two skills often missing from players on the Canucks' 4th line under Vigneault. He's had success overseas and didn't make any glaring errors during his call-up, so his demotion is confusing to say the least, especially in favour of a guy who has a grand total of zero goals this season for the Moose.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:03 PM
xtr3m

AV: "Jonas did alright but didn't do anything really that stood out in my mind and Mike's mind either."

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Not only that, but Orr only plays a few minutes a night - his season high was 9:59 in the last game v. Calgary - if the Canucks are building a gameplan for a guy who has two points this season by calling up a vastly inferior player - Volpatti v. Andersson - then the problems with this team are deeper than first thought.
I wouldn't say trading one player who plays 5 minutes agame for another is building a gameplan. I would say Volpatti is abit better fighter than Glass but another thing is he is expendable. If Volpatti gets hurt no big deal. Everyteam has issues the Canucks less then most. I do not mind playing a tough 4th line against a weaker team, against good teams you need a good fourth line. Also if Bieksa ever gets traded it would be nice to know there is some fighting ability in the organization. Lets see what we have before people complain about him.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Good, this is good.

Unexpected move considering the 4th line was playing well with Andersson on it.
However, lots of benefits of this 4th line/Moose rotation:

* many guys get a chance at the big time - will help sign players in the future. Sure 4 games is not much of a tryout but better than nothing. Has to help morale on the Moose and the ability to sign guys in the future. The Sun article on Arniel was very clear in this regard > link >

* they all get a bit of a salary bump (though Andersson is a one way I believe).

* with a few NHL games under their belt, ups their chance of being included in a trade package.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Wetcoaster

After much fun was had by all over the nickname of Peppermint Volpatti during the Canucks Live Chat today:

A friend if his from Revelstoke had this exchange with the chat moderator to advise him that Volpatti's nickname is actually "Hub".
#
Ah! Very nice. Yes, I've heard of that 17 fellow. Now let's talk. Are you from Revelstoke? Do you know Aaron? And can you explain the nickname "Hub"?
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:34:34 PM1:34 PM
#
By the way, Norm, I know you've been on the chats with us before. You'll be pleased to know that I have the perfect photo to drop into the chat in your honour; as you know some of the best here have that honour. Buz, have I got one for you? Why not, after all you've done?
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:37:12 PM1:37 PM
#
yep. "hub" comes from "hubster" from aaron "javier" when folks came back from mexico trip a number of yrs ago
by NormE at 12/17/2010 9:37:23 PM1:37 PM
#
OK, let me get this straight. Parents come back from Mexico, he's being called "Javier," which is the rough Spanish translation of Aaron. (Am I right so far?) Back in Revelstoke, "Javier" morphs to "Hubster" which morphs to "Hub." (Am I still right?)
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:38:40 PM1:38 PM
#
If this is right, Norm, it is genius.
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:38:56 PM1:38 PM
The Province's Jim Jamieson has an article today on Volpatti with a great story from his NCAA days as to how he became the all time leading penalty minutes leader at Brown University:

Scrappy Aaron 'Peppermint' Volpatti ready to get gritty for Canucks

The undrafted Volpatti had a tremendous final season at Brown last year and the Canucks and several other NHL clubs were interested. Always a physical player, he broke out offensively with 17-15-32 in 37 games. He also had an eye-popping 115 PIMs, which gave him the career record at Brown.

He broke the record in his final game in a somewhat controversial manner.

Let's let Volpatti tell the story.

“Before the game, I think the ref, a guy named Chip McDonald, said, 'Hey you're only a few minutes off that penalty record.'

“I said I didn't know that and I was joking with him said don't be afraid to give me a misconduct. Sure enough I got a penalty with just a few minutes left in the game we were ahead 2-0 and he said, 'Do you want one? You've got to do something to do it.'

“I won't say what was said but he gave me one. It was all in fun. Whoever the guy before me who had the record might not be happy about it, though.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Sc...#ixzz18R7t0n8h

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
2 period review : he loves to hit, but needs to pick his spots a bit better.

Pretty entertaining to watch tho

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
After much fun was had by all over the nickname of Peppermint Volpatti during the Canucks Live Chat today:

A friend if his from Revelstoke had this exchange with the chat moderator to advise him that Volpatti's nickname is actually "Hub".
#
Ah! Very nice. Yes, I've heard of that 17 fellow. Now let's talk. Are you from Revelstoke? Do you know Aaron? And can you explain the nickname "Hub"?
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:34:34 PM1:34 PM
#
By the way, Norm, I know you've been on the chats with us before. You'll be pleased to know that I have the perfect photo to drop into the chat in your honour; as you know some of the best here have that honour. Buz, have I got one for you? Why not, after all you've done?
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:37:12 PM1:37 PM
#
yep. "hub" comes from "hubster" from aaron "javier" when folks came back from mexico trip a number of yrs ago
by NormE at 12/17/2010 9:37:23 PM1:37 PM
#
OK, let me get this straight. Parents come back from Mexico, he's being called "Javier," which is the rough Spanish translation of Aaron. (Am I right so far?) Back in Revelstoke, "Javier" morphs to "Hubster" which morphs to "Hub." (Am I still right?)
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:38:40 PM1:38 PM
#
If this is right, Norm, it is genius.
by jonnymac68 at 12/17/2010 9:38:56 PM1:38 PM
The Province's Jim Jamieson has an article today on Volpatti with a great story from his NCAA days as to how he became the all time leading penalty minutes leader at Brown University:

Scrappy Aaron 'Peppermint' Volpatti ready to get gritty for Canucks

The undrafted Volpatti had a tremendous final season at Brown last year and the Canucks and several other NHL clubs were interested. Always a physical player, he broke out offensively with 17-15-32 in 37 games. He also had an eye-popping 115 PIMs, which gave him the career record at Brown.

He broke the record in his final game in a somewhat controversial manner.

Let's let Volpatti tell the story.

“Before the game, I think the ref, a guy named Chip McDonald, said, 'Hey you're only a few minutes off that penalty record.'

“I said I didn't know that and I was joking with him said don't be afraid to give me a misconduct. Sure enough I got a penalty with just a few minutes left in the game we were ahead 2-0 and he said, 'Do you want one? You've got to do something to do it.'

“I won't say what was said but he gave me one. It was all in fun. Whoever the guy before me who had the record might not be happy about it, though.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Sc...#ixzz18R7t0n8h
I'm from Revelstoke---that is indeed his nickname.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
With some of the players who have played on the 4th line the past few seasons here, I'll take 'barely noticeable' over Ryan Johnson, Byron Ritchie, Guillaume Desbiens, Matt Pettinger, Tommi Santala, Mike Brown, Joel Perrault, Marc Chouinard, Darcy Hordichuk, Jeff Cowan and any other career minor leaguer we can stick on that line.

What I liked about Andersson was that he could actually skate and handle the puck, two skills often missing from players on the Canucks' 4th line under Vigneault. He's had success overseas and didn't make any glaring errors during his call-up, so his demotion is confusing to say the least, especially in favour of a guy who has a grand total of zero goals this season for the Moose.
Sad thing was, wasn't Chouinard brought in to handle the *third line center* duties? Says alot about our pro scouting when he wasn't adequate enough as even a 4th line center.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote