HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help on homemade net

Old
03-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
Help on homemade net

I can't find a hockey net anywhere but on the internet and don't feel like paying $75 dollars for one. I was wondering if anybody here may have made a goal on there own I owould spend about $ 40 on material not much more as I can just drive 4 minutes down the road to shoot. Can't weld so thats really not an option.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I can't find a hockey net anywhere but on the internet and don't feel like paying $75 dollars for one. I was wondering if anybody here may have made a goal on there own I owould spend about $ 40 on material not much more as I can just drive 4 minutes down the road to shoot. Can't weld so thats really not an option.
Use pvc pipe and buy the nylon netting for like 15 bucks online. I made mine off a pattern i found through google. Costed total of 25 bucks snagged pvc from home depot cheap as hell.

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Use pvc pipe and buy the nylon netting for like 15 bucks online. I made mine off a pattern i found through google. Costed total of 25 bucks snagged pvc from home depot cheap as hell.
PVC pipe will really only work well with a tennis ball, a puck or ball with decent speed/weight will just blast through it.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
PVC pipe will really only work well with a tennis ball, a puck or ball with decent speed/weight will just blast through it.
I was worried about that too

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:30 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Here are plans to make a pvc hockey net. As others have said it is too brittle to withstand a 6oz puck. You could probably adapt these plans to make it with metal pipe if you really wanted to.

I'm guessing the nets you saw in the $75 range were also made of plastic, though.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:37 AM
dabeechman

When I did mine I had 50 in steel from Home Depot, and 25 on a UV resistant net from ebay...

If you want anything of quality..it's going to cost you 75 bucks.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
HowToHockey

To build a homemade net that won't break from puck use you will need to use metal piping, a pipe bender and a welder. My brother and I built one, it was pretty ugly, but it was cheap (we used left over stuff we found at a construction site) and it worked.

For a ball hockey net just use the plans on school yard puck

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
goldfish

I just built one myself out of wood.

7 2x4's = $15-20
box of screws = $5
old carpet = free

You could buy netting or use chicken wire or something I just had a bunch of old carpet so I went with that.

Pics of it are in the hockey noob chronicles thread on the last page.

goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:27 PM
titaniumexpose

I built one out of black abs pipe bought at a hardware store (I believe abs stands up to cold weather better than white pvc). I usually take it to a basketball court and use regulation ice pucks and lighter plastic pucks with it. It's been going strong for about 2 years or so and it has not even one crack from impact.

Had a hard time finding a thick enough net around the $15-20 range and ended up with a regulation ice net for about $50. Might be easier to find one cheaper now but that's all I could find at the time I was putting it together.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Skraut

If you're willing to "step out of the box" so to speak, I spent about $50 in my net between the netting, and the hooks and the vinyl piece to hold it down at the bottom.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...8&postcount=20

I don't have a more recent picture, but have since woven red ribbon through the netting at the dimensions of a hockey net. I don't get the satisfying "clang" if I hit the post, but I don't chase pucks that miss the net either.

Some more options here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=778403

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Fleuryoutside29

http://www.hockeynets.com/hockey-goa...netarticle.cfm Here's a link. Google it. You'll find a bunch of plans.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
My PVC pipe is almost half an inch thick it has taken a beating and i use regular pucks np

Last edited by Ducksgo: 03-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Fleuryoutside29

I have a friend who made some homemade nets out of some scrap metal he had. They replaced our PVC ones and are a lot more sturdy. They take a beating and we haven't had to replace them for 5 or 6 years now. Much more efficient than our old ones.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote