HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
whats he *****ing about, he got the 3rd largest of contract in history.

Old
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
[IMG] 4 aces by PhillyPhlyr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
So far this spring, Ben Francisco is 4-7 with 4 RBIs and Domonic Brown is 0-9 with 6 K's. With those numbers so far, we know who will probably start in right-field April 1.

taken from an FB group.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
JVR21
G

**** off Werth. We would have liked to keep you, but you wanted the money. Cliff Lee is more valuable than you. End of story.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Phillies are on the Comcast Network at 1:00PM today.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
So far this spring, Ben Francisco is 4-7 with 4 RBIs and Domonic Brown is 0-9 with 6 K's. With those numbers so far, we know who will probably start in right-field April 1.

taken from an FB group.
That's great. Less than 10 ABs in spring training and someone thinks that's reasonable for a projection. Good find.

Old
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
That's great. Less than 10 ABs in spring training and someone thinks that's reasonable for a projection. Good find.
Yeah, it's early yet. I would like to see Dom Brown make some adjustments to his swing and be a 4th outfielder who will see plenty of playing time between playing for Fransisco and Ibanez.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
With Utley being sore and clearly a concern, does anyone think Josh Barfield can make the team? His rookie year in 2006 be hit .280 in over 500 ABs but hasn't been close to that wince and has struggled with injuries. He's still only 28 and if he has a good spring it might be worth keeping him around, even in AAA in case of a long term injury. I know Valdez is first in line but is Rollins and Utley go down again we need a second plug. He's looked good so far, obviously in limited ABs but he's 4 for 5 with a run and a SO in 2 games.

Delwyn Young is another guy that's intriguing. He's also 28 and can play 2b or OF. He's got a few years under his belt as either a starter or starter by committee. He's nothing special but playing in Pittsburgh can't help.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 03-01-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Yeah, it's early yet. I would like to see Dom Brown make some adjustments to his swing and be a 4th outfielder who will see plenty of playing time between playing for Fransisco and Ibanez.
Where did I say anything negative about Dom Brown? But if you want to go there, I think we SHOULD find someone else to play/rotate RF/LF with Fransisco and Ibanez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
With Utley being sore and clearly a concern, does anyone think Josh Barfield can make the team? His rookie year in 2006 be hit .280 in over 500 ABs but hasn't been close to that wince and has struggled with injuries. He's still only 28 and if he has a good spring it might be worth keeping him around, even in AAA in case of a long term injury. I know Valdez is first in line but is Rollins and Utley go down again we need a second plug. He's looked good so far, obviously in limited ABs but he's 4 for 5 with a run and a SO in 2 games.

Delwyn Young is another guy that's intriguing. He's also 28 and can play 2b or OF.
Michael Young is intriguing to me, not sure if he's still available though.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post

Delwyn Young is another guy that's intriguing. He's also 28 and can play 2b or OF. He's got a few years under his belt as either a starter or starter by committee. He's nothing special but playing in Pittsburgh can't help.
Barfield looked good today. No reason not to keep him around as an insurance policy.

Old
03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Where did I say anything negative about Dom Brown? But if you want to go there, I think we SHOULD find someone else to play/rotate RF/LF with Fransisco and Ibanez.

Michael Young is intriguing to me, not sure if he's still available though.
Oh, he's still available, but there's just about no deal that makes sense...particularly for us.

Old
03-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Barfield looked good today. No reason not to keep him around as an insurance policy.
I dont know much about him other than the fact that he seemed like a promising rookie that fell off the face of the earth. Im assuming pitchers figured him out but it would be nice to have someone with potential waiting behind Utley.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

If you don't love Halladay yet, this will change your mind:

Seen on The700level.com

Old
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post

Seen on The700level.com
Think the "Red or Blue" shirt choice was a "Phillies or Blue Jays" reference? I like to think it is, makes the commercial that much better.

Old
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Hamels through four innings today giving up only one hit.

Old
03-04-2011, 12:37 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
Think the "Red or Blue" shirt choice was a "Phillies or Blue Jays" reference? I like to think it is, makes the commercial that much better.
Was gonna say that after watching it. I love Halladay, dude is just a boss.

Old
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:

Seen on The700level.com
Every perfect game needs a Carlos Ruiz

Old
03-04-2011, 03:42 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:

Seen on The700level.com
Was just coming in to post this, good stuff. Here is a little info behind the commercial...

Quote:
Yes, Roy Halladay has the Carlos Ruiz pillow/doll/toy/whatever-it-is at his home in Florida.

It's in his youngest son's bedroom.

Halladay shot a commercial for 2K Sports' MLB 2K11 three or four weeks ago, and Phillies fans love it. Who knew Halladay could act? Who knew he had comedic timing?

"Are you guys saying I'm boring?" he said with a laugh.

Not at all, but an athlete acting can be a train wreck. For every Peyton Manning there are 10 athletes who look like extras in a high school play or musical. They are rigid and robotic, but not Halladay.

"I didn't feel natural," Halladay said. "But it was fun. I had a good time doing it."

Halladay, who said the entire commercial took about 1 1/2 hours to shoot, enjoyed showing the fun side of his personality. Fans and media mostly see Halladay's work ethic, which has made him arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

"When you're here it's obviously all business," he said. "I don't think people ever see really who you are outside the field. So, yeah, I think it's good. I've always kept that stuff separate. Yeah, I enjoyed doing it. And it was fun because it involved Chooch. That kind of made it fun."

Halladay's co-star is a pillow/doll with Ruiz's picture on it.

"I couldn't get ahold of (Ruiz)," Halladay said. "He's got like six phone numbers. I guess finally through the players' union they got ahold of him. They obviously had to get his OK to do it. They got his approval and went from there."

Halladay said he was on board with the idea of acting with a pillow from the beginning.

"There were a couple proposals early and I liked that one," he said. "It seemed to make sense. That was definitely one of my favorites."

Old
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Was just coming in to post this, good stuff. Here is a little info behind the commercial...
Hilarious.

One question, why does Carlos need 6 cell phone #'s? LOL. All his wives or something have their own line? Or all his kids named Carlos?

Old
03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
What's the deal with Mike Sweeney? I liked him.

Old
03-05-2011, 06:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So Utley got a cortisone shot today? I hear this term thrown around a lot. I'm not too familiar with medicine and crap...what is the significance of this? Good? Bad?

Old
03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
What's the deal with Mike Sweeney? I liked him.
Doesn't seem like he's signed anywhere.

Old
03-05-2011, 06:50 PM
mm6492

Quote:
It looks as though Ben Francisco's path to becoming the Phillies' Opening Day right fielder just got a whole lot easier.
According to multiple sources, Dom Brown, the Phillies' top prospect, broke a bone in his right hand on his first swing in Saturday's spring training game against the Pirates.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told reporters at spring training that Brown, who went to Clearwater competing with Francisco to be the team's everyday right fielder, will likely need surgery, which would keep him out 3-6 weeks.
http://blogs.mcall.com/phillies/2011...ry-likely.html

Old
03-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So Utley got a cortisone shot today? I hear this term thrown around a lot. I'm not too familiar with medicine and crap...what is the significance of this? Good? Bad?
A cortisone injection is to treat inflammation in a joint. It wouldn't seem like a big deal to me, but they said his knee is not progressing as they hoped. Utley said he had bouts with tendinitis in the past and this time it is lingering longer than it has in the past. So there is concern it could be something else.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
mm6492

Utley and Brown being injured already is not good. We are definitely gonna need that rotation to carry us and Howard to have a very good year. It would be nice to have Werth right now

Closed Thread