HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
LOL most of the people on this board should just stick to analyzing hockey.
Years ago I wanted to let Howard walk or move him so that we could move Utley to 1B to mitigate some wear and tear on his body because I saw how his play style and penchant for playing with injuries was effecting him.

Now the worst case scenario has come to pass, with it coming out that he has an (for all intents and purposes) incurable condition.

I'm sorry, but, where is my realistic view erring towards poor analysis?

Old
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Wow, I thought they were going to give him the job at this point.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/ph...7a4a78c22.html
Meh. Figured as much. I really think they should look at David Eckstein.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. Figured as much. I really think they should look at David Eckstein.
Could you direct me to his sabremetrics so that I can see what you see in him?

Old
03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Could you direct me to his sabremetrics so that I can see what you see in him?
NEVER!

Old
03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
You have to be extremely optimistic if you don't see the writing on the wall, HC. If he can't get back and play at a decent level this season for a prolonged period of time (which I am more and more becoming unsure of) then I just hope he doesn't "Brad Lidge" us, that's all.
Oh, I don't expect Utley to play one game this season in the majors. But the whole retiring thing is a little bit of a stretch IMO.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
If Utley is supposed to be out the whole year, why would they get rid of Castillo so soon when they only would have to pay him around 300,000. Maybe they are more optimistic about his return then they were a week ago. I couldnt really care if he missed the first 90 games as long as he is healthy for August, September, and October.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:42 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Because Castillo is a dog and does not match the players on the team.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
If Utley is supposed to be out the whole year, why would they get rid of Castillo so soon when they only would have to pay him around 300,000. Maybe they are more optimistic about his return then they were a week ago. I couldnt really care if he missed the first 90 games as long as he is healthy for August, September, and October.
It probably means the opposite. They're probably working on a trade somewhere.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
mm6492

Quote:
You underrate how much Castillo blows.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Im happy Castillo is off the team, I just thought he was going to be sticking around. If they could make a trade that would be great, but what other 2nd baseman are out there other than Michael Young?

Old
03-31-2011, 12:55 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Im happy Castillo is off the team, I just thought he was going to be sticking around. If they could make a trade that would be great, but what other 2nd baseman are out there other than Michael Young?
Kelly Johnson is a FA after the year in Arizona, so if they feel they won't resign him and struggle early on, they might be willing to move him. Just a random idea that popped in my head.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Not sure how I feel about Rollins batting in the three hole. Can't wait until tomorrow though. The office I work is filled with Phillies fans, I wonder if the boss will let me listen to the radio for the game...

Old
03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Today is a good day to have off. Baseball all day and then the Flyers.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Years ago I wanted to let Howard walk or move him so that we could move Utley to 1B to mitigate some wear and tear on his body because I saw how his play style and penchant for playing with injuries was effecting him.

Now the worst case scenario has come to pass, with it coming out that he has an (for all intents and purposes) incurable condition.

I'm sorry, but, where is my realistic view erring towards poor analysis?
you wanted to let the best pure power hitter of this generation walk so that you can move utley to first? come on, man..

Old
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

So my fantasy baseball league had an autodraft since nobody could come close to agreeing on a draft day. I got Utley. I now need to fill his spot since he's on the DL.

I know ****-all about baseball. I have a general idea of what the Orioles and Nats (due to my area) are doing, and what the Phillies are doing. From these potential players, who would you guys say is the best replacement until (if) Utley returns?

Gordon Beckham
Neil Walker
Brien Roberts
Chone Figgins
Howie Kendrick
Ryan Raburn
Mike Aviles
Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Old
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So my fantasy baseball league had an autodraft since nobody could come close to agreeing on a draft day. I got Utley. I now need to fill his spot since he's on the DL.

I know ****-all about baseball. I have a general idea of what the Orioles and Nats (due to my area) are doing, and what the Phillies are doing. From these potential players, who would you guys say is the best replacement until (if) Utley returns?

Gordon Beckham
Neil Walker
Brien Roberts
Chone Figgins
Howie Kendrick
Ryan Raburn
Mike Aviles
Tsuyoshi Nishioka
ryan raburn
then brian roberts

Old
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
ryan raburn
then brian roberts
Sure, I'll roll with that, thanks! Looking at previous seasons' stats only does so much for me, since I don't know what's generally expected from each team and player going into this year.

I somehow won my league last year. Gotta defend that title.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I hope sometime before the All Star break, Stutes, Mathieson, and Worley will all be given chances to pitch. I also wouldnt mind Dom Brown being called up by then once he recovers and spends time in AAA.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
mm6492

Phillies voted #3 organization in baseball based on: (1) Present Talent (2) Future Talent, (3) Baseball Operations and (4) Financial Resources http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-philadelphia/
Quote:
Present Talent – 92.50 (2nd)
Future Talent – 90.00 (t-3rd)
Financial Resources – 88.08 (3rd)
Baseball Operations – 84.17 (t-7th)
Overall Rating – 88.71
Quote:
The other stand-out blunder is the Ryan Howard contract. It’s not that the team should have let Ryan Howard walk when he reached free agency following the 2011 season. It’s that they put the contract together while Howard still had two more years on his previous contract. It also guarantees him $25 million per year in his age-36 season, and the $10 million buyout makes the Phillies more likely to exercise the $23 million option for his age-37 season. But, as noted above, the Phillies have the resources to work around this contract if it comes down to it. That doesn’t make it any better a deal on its own, but it doesn’t figure to hinder the Phillies in the long-term.

(Though it’s tough to ignore that through his age-30 season, Howard has yet to produce a $25 million season.)
Quote:
It might not seem like a great deal at first glance, but in year one of his three-year, $19 million contract, Placido Polanco has already produced $14.8 million worth of value — or 82.2 percent of the overall contract;

Old
03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

Gordon Beckham
Neil Walker
Brien Roberts
Chone Figgins
Howie Kendrick
Ryan Raburn
Mike Aviles
Tsuyoshi Nishioka
There's reasons to keep an eye on all those guys besides probably Kendrick. Roberts too, simply because he mostly gets play due to his past, but he hasn't really done or played much the past couple years. Play roulette if you need to, or keep a couple if you can afford the bench spots. You probably can, too, because you don't use your bench nearly as much in baseball.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

What's so bad about Tom McCarthy and the TV broadcasts? Keep in mind I almost never get a chance to watch them, just curious why everyone hates McCarthy.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Gordon Beckham
Neil Walker
Brien Roberts
Chone Figgins
Howie Kendrick
Ryan Raburn
Mike Aviles
Tsuyoshi Nishioka
From what I've seen of Nishioka I think he would be a good replacement. Not happening though. Twins spent a lot of money to get him from Japan.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
What's so bad about Tom McCarthy and the TV broadcasts? Keep in mind I almost never get a chance to watch them, just curious why everyone hates McCarthy.
His repeated saying aren't fun to listen to. When he gets excited, his voice can be annoying. And he gets excited about fly balls that were never close to the fence. He doesn't know enough about baseball as a baseball play-by-play guy should. When him and Sarge are in the booth together, they like to forget there's a game going on. He's not Harry Kalas. Franzke isn't either, but he's easier to listen to, and his excitement comes at the appropriate times and is more controlled.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
1) He's replacing Harry Kalas, which would be an impossible task for any mere mortal.
2) He's less than a mere mortal, he sucks. Him and Wheels treat the broadcasts like story time, barely paying attention to the game sometimes. And their stories suck just as much as they do.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Alright. Wish I had MLB.TV so I could watch.

Will have to listen to Franzke more often.

Closed Thread