vCash: 500
^^Bingo^^

Old
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
It's not the fact that Kovalchuk left the organization that has most people upset with him. It's the way he left.

For years, Kovalchuk was quoted as saying he loves Atlanta, and he wants to play here for the rest of his career. He told reporters how he wasn't leaving, will always be a Thrasher, and even wants to bring the cup here.

But at the end of the day, he wouldn't put pen to paper. Three huge contract offers from us to them. Zero counter-offers, zero attention paid to the offers tendered to him and his agent. It left a lot of fans feeling upset, and rightfully so.

You can post the positives, but understand the negatives. You don't have to boo him (if I were attending, I wouldn't boo him either, personally), but understand why there are those who will.
Did you want Kovy to say, "I hate Atlanta, and I'm leaving at the trade deadline?" I bet he did like the city of Atlanta (it has a lot of positives), but he was obviously sick of playing for the Thrashers. When someone gets an opportunity to leave a bad job for a better one, they usually take it. Kovalchuk did just that (although in hindsight it appears he made a mistake). He played out his contract, and doesn't owe the city, or the fans, anything.

I agree with flerd_trandle. I'm gonna aim my hate towards the right (right IMO at least) people.

No matter what people will booo Kovalchuk. Whatever. Probably the same people who used to boo Savard, and the ones who boo-ed the Canadian national anthem.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
You're right about these reasons. He really tried to be the man here, but how many years are you willing to keep working for a failing company before you find work for a successful business? If anyone deserves to be booed relentlessly, it should be Don Waddell for failing to bring in the players and coaches to make this team successful while Kovy was still here.
BING-****in-O

Old
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
It's not the fact that Kovalchuk left the organization that has most people upset with him. It's the way he left.

For years, Kovalchuk was quoted as saying he loves Atlanta, and he wants to play here for the rest of his career. He told reporters how he wasn't leaving, will always be a Thrasher, and even wants to bring the cup here.

But at the end of the day, he wouldn't put pen to paper. Three huge contract offers from us to them. Zero counter-offers, zero attention paid to the offers tendered to him and his agent. It left a lot of fans feeling upset, and rightfully so.

You can post the positives, but understand the negatives. You don't have to boo him (if I were attending, I wouldn't boo him either, personally), but understand why there are those who will.
I always find these situations to be funny. What do you want the guy to say? I hate Atlanta, I'm tired of this team, I'm tired of this poorly run organization, I want to leave and will not entertain any offer you make? I bet he more or less told Waddell the last thing on that list, and that he wanted to go somewhere he could contend for a cup (oops ) but he can't come out and say any of that publicly.

Now, it's your right to hate him or dislike him or boo him. That's fine. It's just, well, what would you have liked him to do or say? Do you think you'd dislike him less if he came out and said "I want to go to a place where I feel like I can contend for a Cup. I don't feel like I can do that here." That's basically what Paul Martin said and the vast majority of Devils fans now hate him. It just seems like a lose-lose situation. IMO if you're gonna leave, might as well do it saying good things about your former team rather than trashing them.

Last edited by TheUnseenHand: 12-17-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Did you want Kovy to say, "I hate Atlanta, and I'm leaving at the trade deadline?" I bet he did like the city of Atlanta (it has a lot of positives), but he was obviously sick of playing for the Thrashers. When someone gets an opportunity to leave a bad job for a better one, they usually take it. Kovalchuk did just that (although in hindsight it appears he made a mistake). He played out his contract, and doesn't owe the city, or the fans, anything.
Go back and read my post again, paying particularly close attention to the last line.

And leave *me* out of it. I don't give two ***** either way. I just find this whole thing amusing.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I always find these situations to be funny. What do you want the guy to say? I hate Atlanta, I'm tired of this team, I'm tired of this poorly run organization, I want to leave and will not entertain any offer you make? I bet he more or less told Waddell the last thing on that list, and that he wanted to go somewhere he could contend for a cup (oops ) but he can't come out and say any of that publicly.
There's the alternative: Not saying anything at all.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Go back and read my post again, paying particularly close attention to the last line.

And leave *me* out of it. I don't give two ***** either way. I just find this whole thing amusing.
I'd leave you out of it, but you chose to get involved in the conversation by playing the know-it-all and stating the obvious.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
There's the alternative: Not saying anything at all.
Do you honestly think that would change your opinion of him or the majority of ATL fans opinion of him? I can only guess, but I'd say if he said nothing, most people would be pissed he never said anything, never made it seem like he liked Atlanta or never let them know he appreciated being there. Like I said, lose-lose.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I'd leave you out of it, but you chose to get involved in the conversation by playing the know-it-all and stating the obvious.
You could have not feigned ignorance. I wouldn't have even posted. The egg came before the chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Do you honestly think that would change your opinion of him or the majority of ATL fans opinion of him? I can only guess, but I'd say if he said nothing, most people would be pissed he never said anything, never made it seem like he liked Atlanta or never let them know he appreciated being there. Like I said, lose-lose.
My opinion? I don't care. Never really did. He was a favorite player in Atlanta. Now he plays for Jersey. He's still a favorite player, I just don't care about him when he plays in white

There's an old saying. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." It doesn't say "If you can't honestly say anything nice, make some **** up." In the eyes of the fans who will boo Kovalchuk, they are upset because they believed him. Which is worse, lying to your fans, or remaining silent?

Old
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
My opinion? I don't care. Never really did. He was a favorite player in Atlanta. Now he plays for Jersey. He's still a favorite player, I just don't care about him when he plays in white

There's an old saying. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." It doesn't say "If you can't honestly say anything nice, make some **** up." In the eyes of the fans who will boo Kovalchuk, they are upset because they believed him. Which is worse, lying to your fans, or remaining silent?
I really don't care either. I just think it's a tough situation and one that is really hard to come out of having not offended someone in some way.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Shameus

That's enough. From all parties involved.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

He could of requested a trade behind closed doors a year earlier. If he was going to reject that kind of offer, he knew he was going to leave long before he was traded to the Devils.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
He could of requested a trade behind closed doors a year earlier. If he was going to reject that kind of offer, he knew he was going to leave long before he was traded to the Devils.
Perhaps he wanted to stay and gave the franchise one last chance to bring in a supporting cast. He seemed pretty happy when Antropov and Afinogenov were signed to play with him. If that team had become a playoff team, maybe Kovy signs the deal here.

When it became obvious that this poorly coached and haphazardly put together group wasn't a playoff team, he was probably ready to move on with his career somewhere else.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

To bring the conversation back to the game at hand; one bright spot for the Devils so far has been the play of Mattias Tedenby. I loved Bergie, but we were all relieved when he was the Swede that was traded and not Tedenby. He'll be a player to keep an eye on for the Thrashers:

Old
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Perhaps he wanted to stay and gave the franchise one last chance to bring in a supporting cast. He seemed pretty happy when Antropov and Afinogenov were signed to play with him. If that team had become a playoff team, maybe Kovy signs the deal here.

When it became obvious that this poorly coached and haphazardly put together group wasn't a playoff team, he was probably ready to move on with his career somewhere else.
Possibly, but the examples given showed that the franchise was trying to bend over backwards to get him to stay. I'm not at all blaming his decision to head out to "greener pastures", but I just think that, based on the past, and the potential future, he knew he was walking long before he led on.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I hope there is a huge crowd there tomorrow night.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I hope there is a huge crowd there tomorrow night.
i would consider 15k plus a successful number considering it wouldnt be half fans of the visiting team like our other big crowds have been

Old
12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:

Let's be honest. The thrashers were going nowhere quickly with Waddell as GM.
Kovy had 8 years with Atlanta and I believe he would of stayed if Waddell had built a more competitive team. Ilya wants to win and I wish him no ill will for leaving Atlanta and trying to do that in New Jersey.
To be honest, I think the straw the broke Ilya's back is the seasons after the playoffs.
The team went backwards and did not improve. I believe if the team had strung some consecutives playoff appearances Kovy likely would of stayed.
And the majority of that blame should go to Waddell.
He couldn't sign quality players and let an all star in Savard go for nothing.
He fired Hartley and named himself as interim coach which became a wasted season when he probably should of given JA the job if they wanted to see if he can be an NHL coach.
As a fan, I can certaintly relate to Ilya's frustration.
From division winner and playoffs to back to NHL basement. The team should of got better not worse.

Old
12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Waddell just mentioned on XM that we have around 7500 season ticket holders right now and that they have sold just over 15k for tomorrow night so far

Old
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Hopefully our lines don't get triple or quadrouple shifted tomorrow. That is all I hope for.

If that doesn't happen we win say 5-4. Bergfors with 5, Hainsey scores on his own net 4 times and we all laugh at how bad he is.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
KevFist
is best pony

We probably would if Hainsey's been bad.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

not gonna have to waste time deciding on Kovalchuck because if we come out and play like last night, take lots of shots, hit hard, we will be spending much more time celebrating goals.

Moose is a great guy, but we need to light him up like he was the Phoenix backup.

I'll cheer when Slater, Thorburn, or Byfuglien staple #17 to the boards.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'll cheer for moose and kovy, because both of them gave a hell of a lot to this franchise and both are still some of my favorite players. I do not revel in the fact that the devils are doing poorly. it makes me sad.

i can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the joke that has been this franchise.

that said, once the puck drops, they are the opponent and i will treat them as such.

but we're missing the real story here, who will be4 more impressive in the press box, bergfors or salmela?

Old
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Georgia Dawg

I am going tomorrow. Doubt I will cheer for Kovy. Doubt I will boo him. I don't really care about him. All I care about is watching the Thrashers beating the S#*T out of them.

Old
12-17-2010, 06:33 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i'll cheer for moose and kovy, because both of them gave a hell of a lot to this franchise and both are still some of my favorite players. I do not revel in the fact that the devils are doing poorly. it makes me sad.

i can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from the joke that has been this franchise.

that said, once the puck drops, they are the opponent and i will treat them as such.

but we're missing the real story here, who will be4 more impressive in the press box, bergfors or salmela?
Salmela = In lineup

Quote:
All praise he on high, our Finnish overlord, he be merciful and kind and hath rewarded us with his presence yet again. He hath returned, leading his followers, to deliver us from our slump, and carry us onwards to victory. His reappearance brings good tidings to all and seeks to cure the division within our ranks. May his spin-o-ramas deke many defenders, and may he always bringeth the heat from the point. Amen.

Closed Thread