HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Less chirping has made Kesler a better player

Old
12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Oh goodness, not the dreaded "adjust stats for different eras" argument.
If we're talking just about point totals, I think it's completely fair to adjust stats for eras. Ranking is usually much more indicative than actual point totals and in that respect, Kesler's season last year was better than anything Linden ever did in the regular season. Kesler finished 10th in points among centers (Linden's highest ever was 19th) and 22nd in points overall (Linden's highest ever was 35th).

The playoffs are another story, however. Linden matched or exceeded his regular season points per game pace in 9 of his 12 playoff years, including leading the Canucks in playoff points at the age of 37 in 2007. Also, in his first 7 years in the playoffs with the Canucks he put up 80 points in 79 games. Pretty amazing production from a guy who never once put up a point per game season in the NHL. Kesler's got a bit of work to do before he can match Linden's prowess in the post season.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
JAK

If we are talking regular season, then Kesler > Linden.

But until Kesler shows his current abilities in the playoffs, Linden > Kesler. But it may change come this April.

If the Canucks have continue success, with Kesler remaining on the team for his career. With or with out a Cup, I could see #17 go up to the rafters, especially now that #19 is officially up there.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:26 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
probably 5 or so.

One happened just a couple of games ago.
Hmm. I must've missed that one (I've actually missed a few recent games), could you specify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Colour me a little cynical about the league's award-giving process, but positive headlines about Kesler changing his attitude, and increasing his respect quotient, may help him eventually to win the Selke.
I don't think that's cynical. You're seeing positive attention paid to a player by the people who determine the Selke winner - it's a pretty good indicator (of course with a player like Datsyuk he's got a long way to go).

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:44 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Colour me a little cynical about the league's award-giving process, but positive headlines about Kesler changing his attitude, and increasing his respect quotient, may help him eventually to win the Selke.
Well when you consider who writes those articles, the people who vote on the trophies, that would make sense.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
But...they do...

I see the Sedins producing more points, but not creating more on the ice. There's a difference. How many times have you recognized Kesler/Tambellini/whoever as being better than the twins on a given night, but then have the twins put up more points during that game? I've seen it happen quite a few times.

There are even posts occuring now that want the twins to "get it going," even though they still lead the team in points. It's because there's a difference between contributing and carrying the team. Right now, Kesler is carrying the team, and the twins are contributing.

Edit: Actually, I have to correct myself: Daniel was carrying this team in the early part of the season. He deserves credit for that. My point was more that the twins, because they can feed of each other, should impact games more as a line. While Kesler has to carry his line to have it impact the game.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 12-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Daryl

It really has made Kesler a better player. Like the consenus of the majority of fans I wanted Henrik to be the 13th Captain of the Vancouver Canucks. But inside us we know Keslers holding the secondary scoring together,he's on the ice in every situation let it be PK,PP etc. He has really developed into a great two way forward,like Burrows said in an interview in regards to Kesler less chirping: "Hes less grumpy now".

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:05 PM
VanEric

He is getting paid a ton of money to provide that secondary scoring, though. Him playing well is no longer a feel good story, it's a requirement.

I thought Kesler had a tough time earlier in the season because he was probably trying to justify his contract. Now he's back to busting his ass on most nights and when he does that, the offense will follow.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote