HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik hurt more than we think?

Old
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Gaborik hurt more than we think?

I'm not so sure Gaborik is even close to being 100%...watching the game he wasn't going 100% and was floating a lot of the time.

Seems like that groin is giving him issues

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He looks terrible.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Frolov's playing better than him.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Excuses. He looked fine the other night against the Canes. He skated and was involved.

Puzzled why he disappears so frequently. He doesnt carry the puck and he barely got off a shot tonight. I guess one positive is that the other team is putting their best D against him and its opening the game up for some other players in a sense. Thats why you cant sit him if he really is dinged up. But again, if he really is hurt, then why did he playh such a spirited game the other night?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:39 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Excuses. He looked fine the other night against the Canes. He skated and was involved.

Puzzled why he disappears so frequently. He doesnt carry the puck and he barely got off a shot tonight. I guess one positive is that the other team is putting their best D against him and its opening the game up for some other players in a sense. Thats why you cant sit him if he really is dinged up. But again, if he really is hurt, then why did he playh such a spirited game the other night?
Exactly.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I agree... He's making poor decisions on the ice with the puck.... Taking himself into positions where he can't make a play.... I think a lot of fans are deflecting blame to an injury when clearly he's not thinking the game very well right now....

He might not be 100% but right now he's playing like a shell of the player we saw last season and even last season he battled some nagging injuries and was much more effective than we're seeing now. When you hear some passing comments from Tortorella about Gaborik, it doesn't sound like he's protecting a guy who's struggling with an injury.... Torts extends responsibility and accountability onto Gaborik for his own play, regardless of who his linemates are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not so sure Gaborik is even close to being 100%...watching the game he wasn't going 100% and was floating a lot of the time.
Players float when they're healthy too ya know.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
ltrangerfan

I don't believe that Gabs has been healthy since the Olympics.

Does anyone have the stats for the 2009-2010 season? How many goals did he score in the second half of the season?

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I agree... He's making poor decisions on the ice with the puck.... Taking himself into positions where he can't make a play.... I think a lot of fans are deflecting blame to an injury when clearly he's not thinking the game very well right now....

He might not be 100% but right now he's playing like a shell of the player we saw last season and even last season he battled some nagging injuries and was much more effective than we're seeing now.
Either hes hurt or the opposing D is shutting him down. Those are excuses to me. When he skates hes tough to contain, he wasnt doing that tonight.

He was trying to force that pass cross ice all night on the PP, its not working, please stop Gabby. Im really hoping he breaks out of this funk, because the games are getting tougher and the Rangers are scoring less these days. I mean hes not even getting off those 15-20 foot wrist shots hes so adept at scoring with. Hes not getting himself into a position to do that because hes not backing up the D with his speed.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I don't believe that Gabs has been healthy since the Olympics.

Does anyone have the stats for the 2009-2010 season? How many goals did he score in the second half of the season?
I counted 18 GP (9 scoreless games) with 7 goals and 10 assists.

I think I got it right...

Old
01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Either hes hurt or the opposing D is shutting him down.
Or option 3, he's just sucking it up right now. Some games even when he's skating, it looks like he's easy to contain because his decision making is not there.... He'll try and go wide with no speed or no position to make a pass... Or go around the net like he did tonight right into a check with no where to go with the puck...

Old
01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

He may have reaggrivated whatever it was that was bothering him.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
DekeR

I don't think that he will make it back this year to being 100% healthy. Shoulder surgery takes time on the recoup.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Or option 3, he's just sucking it up right now. Some games even when he's skating, it looks like he's easy to contain because his decision making is not there.... He'll try and go wide with no speed or no position to make a pass... Or go around the net like he did tonight right into a check with no where to go with the puck...
Decision making or not, no speed or not...he isn't moving his feet as much nor is he getting off good shots. Those two are the keys to his game. His feet/legs and his shot are the dynamics of Gaboriks game. A groin issue will hamper that the same way it hampered Forsberg towards the end of his career in the NHL.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:54 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I hate that stupid move where he tries to push the puck around the defenseman with one hand. It has never worked.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Tortorella might be dead on that all it is is his confidence. He came back fairly well after the shoulder. Yeah he hasn't stepped up much when we needed him the most, but the last 8 games, he only has 3 points. Before that bad stretch he was somewhat decent.

Could be some part of his body bugging him, it just might be the mental part of the game.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Tortorella might be dead on that all it is is his confidence. He came back very well after the shoulder. Yeah he hasn't stepped up much when we needed him the most, but the last 8 games, he only has 3 points. Before that bad stretch he was somewhat decent.

Could be some part of his body bugging him, it just might be the mental part of the game.
I don't think it's the shoulder. I think it has to do w/ the groin.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'll lay it on Gaborik when the rest of the team starts slumping and he's still a non-factor.

I'm just happy the worst part of his tenure here so far has been when alot of other guys are experiencing the best part of their time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
17futurecap

Loved the way he played vs Carolina, and tonight he is a ghost out there, I don't get it

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
The way I see it, if we're winning games against solid teams with an invisible Gaborik then we can only improve when he starts to heat up.
And for that reason, I'm more than happy to be a bit patient with him.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
The way I see it, if we're winning games against solid teams with an invisible Gaborik then we can only improve when he starts to heat up.
And for that reason, I'm more than happy to be a bit patient with him.
True, but it also is a bit concerning that he's 30 games into his season and he's only been a difference maker on the ice for about 25-30% of those games. Is he going to snap out of his funk soon or will this trend continue for the remainder of the season? I certainly hope not...

Old
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Honestly, I don't think it has to do with injury. He may not be 100%, but he's not that banged up, IMO, because he brings out his wheels and a better effort in little spurts here and there and then just fades into the background again. He's just a perimeter player. I really don't love his game at all. He doesn't like to hold on to the puck. He makes very weak plays and decisions and constantly puts himself in areas where he isn't a threat. I honestly have been starting to think that Gaborik doesn't fit the new direction/identity the Rangers are taking on. I don't think he's a Torts player and I'm not sure he'll have another season like last year.

I know it won't happen and I'm not advocating it, but I wouldn't be upset to see Gaborik dealt for a blue chip prospect and a 1st on July 1st if Richards hits the open market and Sather has him on the phone expressing interest. The way I see it, trading Gaborik for a high end prospect and a pick, and using the money to sign Richards is a good deal no matter how you break it down and a guy like Richards is a better fit and more valuable (centers always are) to our roster than Gabby. Richards can make guys like Dubi, Cally, AA, Zucco all better goal scorers, not to mention be a great mentor for Stepan and QB the PP. I bet we could even potentially sign him for slightly LESS than we have invested in Gabby.

Again, I don't think that's that realistic a scenario... but, I also don't think Gaborik will prove to be a good fit for the "new" Rangers. I just can't stand his weak perimeter game. It's enough to make the infatuation from last season disappear like puppy love.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Honestly, I don't think it has to do with injury. He may not be 100%, but he's not that banged up, IMO, because he brings out his wheels and a better effort in little spurts here and there and then just fades into the background again. He's just a perimeter player. I really don't love his game at all. He doesn't like to hold on to the puck. He makes very weak plays and decisions and constantly puts himself in areas where he isn't a threat. I honestly have been starting to think that Gaborik doesn't fit the new direction/identity the Rangers are taking on. I don't think he's a Torts player and I'm not sure he'll have another season like last year.

I know it won't happen and I'm not advocating it, but I wouldn't be upset to see Gaborik dealt for a blue chip prospect and a 1st on July 1st if Richards hits the open market and Sather has him on the phone expressing interest. The way I see it, trading Gaborik for a high end prospect and a pick, and using the money to sign Richards is a good deal no matter how you break it down and a guy like Richards is a better fit and more valuable (centers always are) to our roster than Gabby. Richards can make guys like Dubi, Cally, AA, Zucco all better goal scorers, not to mention be a great mentor for Stepan and QB the PP. I bet we could even potentially sign him for slightly LESS than we have invested in Gabby.

Again, I don't think that's that realistic a scenario... but, I also don't think Gaborik will prove to be a good fit for the "new" Rangers. I just can't stand his weak perimeter game. It's enough to make the infatuation from last season disappear like puppy love.
I'm not so sure w/ some of your assessment. Weak perimeter game? Puts himself in areas where he isn't a threat? What does that exactly mean? You don't score 42 goals and 86 points by not knowing where to be on the ice. He's a player (when healthy) that would fit in any type of system. He has played most of his career under a defensive coach/system w/ Jaques Martin. That has allowed for him to round his game more. He gets plenty of chances between the slots and in front of the net. He has gotten plenty of goals being in front of the net or driving to the net. I'm not so sure "perimeter" player is the right description. He just has a really good shot and tends to use it consistently when the opportunity is there. His weapon is his shot and his skating--not his power game.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:59 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not so sure w/ some of your assessment. Weak perimeter game? Puts himself in areas where he isn't a threat? What does that exactly mean? You don't score 42 goals and 86 points by not knowing where to be on the ice. He's a player (when healthy) that would fit in any type of system. He has played most of his career under a defensive coach/system w/ Jaques Martin. That has allowed for him to round his game more. He gets plenty of chances between the slots and in front of the net. He has gotten plenty of goals being in front of the net or driving to the net. I'm not so sure "perimeter" player is the right description. He just has a really good shot and tends to use it consistently when the opportunity is there. His weapon is his shot and his skating--not his power game.
I think he's very much a perimeter player. He puts himself in the corners. He makes weak little give and goes that don't achieve anything in terms of territorial advantage in the offensive zone. He often dumps the puck off to a player whose in a worse scoring position than he is. He doesn't like to have the puck on his stick for more than a second or two. If he would settle down and hold on to the puck for a little along the half boards he has plenty of skill to set others up, but he would rather make quick short passes that are often lateral moves at best. Obviously, when you're scoring 86 points this doesn't apply, but he's not the same player right now and I don't think it's because of an injury. I think the Rangers are playing different hockey this season and it doesn't suit Gaborik's game as much. We're very much built to be a puck possession/cycle team, IMO, and Gaborik doesn't play a puck possession game. I just think he's making very weak plays this year.

The poster who said he isn't thinking the game well this season was most accurate, in my mind. I would gladly provide some video to express what I'm talking about if I could, because I think it's a lot easier to point some of it out than to just talk about it, but unfortunately, there's not a lot of youtubes of plays that didn't result in goals or big hits, so it's hard for me to find highlights that exemplify the weak passes and poor decision making that I'm trying to explain.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:41 AM
OverTheCap

Don't think he's hurt.. it actually looks like he's playing not to get hurt.

I've noticed his perimeter play for awhile now... I think it was the Philly game in which he was shooting from the half boards instead of getting more involved in the dirty areas. His puck possession skills, or lack thereof, has never been all that great. It seems like he'd rather give up the puck than have a defender hanging on his back.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:18 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
I don't think that he will make it back this year to being 100% healthy. Shoulder surgery takes time on the recoup.
Who are we talking about again?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote