HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Briere instead of Gagne

Old
07-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Trade Briere instead of Gagne

Okay, I know that Briere has a No-Movement-Clause, but Gagne has a No-Trade Clause as well, so that argument doesn't count, both could waive it. Briere's contract is frontloaded, of the $52MM it pays him $26MM have already been paid, that means that the team which trades for him gets a $6.5MM caphit but only has to pay an average of $5.2MM through the remaining five years. That may help teams like the Avalanche or the Islanders to reach the salary floor while they actually don't have to pay the full amount. Additional he was the Topscorer during the Playoffs, what should have helped his value as well. Assuming his contract could be moved, the lineup could look like that:

LWCRW
Simon Gagne
Jeff Carter
Nikolai Zherdev
James vanRiemsdyk
Mike Richards
Scott Hartnell
Dan Carcillo
Claude Giroux
Ville Leino
Jody Shelley
Blair Betts
Ian Laperierre
Darroll Powe

DD
Kimmo Timonen
Chris Pronger
Matt Carle
Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros
Sean O'Donnell
Oskars Bartulis

GG
Marty Turco
Michael Leighton
Italics - Unsigned

That roster, without Carcillo, Powe and Turco, costs roughly $54MM ($53.784.762) and leaves about $6.5MM ($6.552.738) for those three players.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:04 AM
FlyerEra2010

If I had to choose, I'd rather trade Gagne.

In our current window of opportunity, I have a hard time imagining us winning the Cup without Danny Boy's playoff magic. The extra cap relief would be nice and it makes more sense to get rid of a center than it does a winger, but he's just so damn money in the playoffs. I really don't wanna lose that.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

It has always made the most sense and would be the most beneficial trade long-term regarding the salary cap. He takes up the most cap space on the team, but isn't nearly our best player. That money frees up so many options this year and allows us to basically give everyone raises next season (Carter, Giroux, Leino - hoping Gagne would take a small pay cut).

I'm sure a lot of people are going to wave their playoff pom poms on this one, but fact of the matter is trading Briere is the best thing for this team moving forward. Anything else that is done for cap relief is only temporary. Briere's cap hit will always be a problem.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:07 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I'm not opposed to this, and in many ways it makes a lot of sense given the team's glut of young centers.

However, there is a huge difference between Gagne & Briere and it all comes down to one little letter, the letter M, as in NMC vs NTC.

We can threaten Gagne with waiving him if he doesn't agree to a trade. We can't do the same with Briere. Also, Briere would be EXTREMELY picky about where he goes, as he has a lot of years left on that contract but clearly wants a cup very badly. Gagne can go to a team for a year and then pick the right situation for himself.

I just don't see it happening.

If it were up to me, I'd still see if I can't get somone to majorly overpay for Carter.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:10 AM
CptCannon

Should NOT trade Briere.

Regular season is just the warm-up for the real season, just gotta make it to the top8 of the conference and then everything's open.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Yeah, as much as I love Gags, it's so much easier to trade him and keep Briere for at least another year.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:22 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
He takes up the most cap space on the team, but isn't nearly our best player.
Depends on how you look at it. This team wants to win a Cup. To win a Cup you gotta succeed in the postseason.
There are two guys on this team I'd take over Briere in the playoffs: Richards and Pronger.

Sure, it would be beneficial long-term. But Philly wants to win a Cup next year.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Flyerfan808

I would definitely entertain the idea of trading midge. Though all the precluding circumstances make it pretty hard.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:27 AM
phillyfanatic

Danny Briere has been in the conference finals or better three of the past four years. I love the guy. I like Gagne as well, but he has only recently come back to the Gagne of old. For much of this season, he was playing afraid to get another concussion. It is a tough decision, but clearly we need to move someone. All things being equal, my team would look like this:

Gagne-Richie-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Laps-Betts-Powe
Rookie

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Odonnell-Rookie

Turco
Leighton

We have money for that. Shelley and Meszaros are not required. That 5.1 million gives you more than enough to sign Turco + Powe + keep Gagne + Keep Briere + Zherdev. Seriously, do we really need another 24 year old 4 million d-man? A 1.1 million fighter? Keep them both.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:48 AM
treeman

trading carter still makes the most sense. 5 mill in space and huge return value.

trading your best P/O point producer isn't smart if you want to win a Cup.

treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm not at all for trading our besy playoff performer the past 2 seasons. Plus, the usual argument: NMC. Briere has a NMC, Gagne has a NTC. A lot easier legal-wise to move Gagne

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:21 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
How does anyone want to trade Briere after this playoff run? He may not be the best player during the regular season, but in the playoffs he is worth every dollar.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Kaktus*

That would be awesome. Solved our cap problems for the next 2-3 years.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:30 AM
dookie88

Question to the experts, what happens with Briere's right to veto being waived or being sent down to the minors if he lifts his right to veto a trade?

I hope someone understood that.

I mean, a NMC is a NTC with additional right for being waived or sent down. Normally if a player lifts his NTC and gets traded, that NTC isn't in effect anymore when he's with his new team. I.e. Dany Heatley doesn't have a NTC anymore.
But what happens to the NMC if Briere would agree to be traded, could he still veto on being waived or sent down? I guess he couldn't veto a trade.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:33 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
That would be awesome. Solved our cap problems for the next 2-3 years.
We haven't had cap problems this off-season, until Homer decided to spent 6.65mil and a second rounder for Meszaros, Shelley and Leighton.

Old
07-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
We haven't had cap problems this off-season, until Homer decided to spent 6.65mil and a second rounder for Meszaros, Shelley and Leighton.
We probably will next season when we will have to re-sign our best scorer Carter and Giroux.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:02 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We probably will next season when we will have to re-sign our best scorer Carter and Giroux.
But Shelley is already signed for next season...

Yeah, I know what you mean, and you're right, but we could've kept Gagne this season, let him walk via FA after next season and use this money, plus the money we could free up by trading Carle to resign Carter and Giroux, that would be more than enough to get it done imo.

Old
07-10-2010, 08:17 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya, trade the guy that led the playoffs in scoring, but hold onto Jeff Carter, who always pulls a disappearing act come playoff time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I wish there was an alternate reality where people could watch the Flyers start Richie, Giroux, and Briere at C for a full season so that they could see how it worked out.

Our worst ES players the last 3 years: Briere at C in 07-08, Powe in 08-09, Giroux at C in 09-10. But yeah, let's relive some of those experiences! I can't wait!

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:54 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman View Post
trading carter still makes the most sense. 5 mill in space and huge return value.

trading your best P/O point producer isn't smart if you want to win a Cup.
This, Briere gets a bad rep for his contract but he is still an unbelievable hockey player.

Let's not forget he was only 1 point away from Gretzky in the playoffs.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Okay, I know that Briere has a No-Movement-Clause, but Gagne has a No-Trade Clause as well, so that argument doesn't count, both could waive it. Briere's contract is frontloaded, of the $52MM it pays him $26MM have already been paid, that means that the team which trades for him gets a $6.5MM caphit but only has to pay an average of $5.2MM through the remaining five years. That may help teams like the Avalanche or the Islanders to reach the salary floor while they actually don't have to pay the full amount. Additional he was the Topscorer during the Playoffs, what should have helped his value as well. Assuming his contract could be moved, the lineup could look like that:

LWCRW
Simon Gagne
Jeff Carter
Nikolai Zherdev
James vanRiemsdyk
Mike Richards
Scott Hartnell
Dan Carcillo
Claude Giroux
Ville Leino
Jody Shelley
Blair Betts
Ian Laperierre
Darroll Powe

DD
Kimmo Timonen
Chris Pronger
Matt Carle
Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros
Sean O'Donnell
Oskars Bartulis

GG
Marty Turco
Michael Leighton
Italics - Unsigned

That roster, without Carcillo, Powe and Turco, costs roughly $54MM ($53.784.762) and leaves about $6.5MM ($6.552.738) for those three players.
is there really SPECULATION out there that this may happen? Or is this what you would like to see?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Let's not forget he was only 1 point away from Gretzky in the playoffs.
In the Finals. Briere had 12, Gretzky 13 in 1988.
Gretzky had 47 points in '85.

/smart-ass

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:06 AM
McNasty

I wouldn't trade Briere this year because we look to be putting ourselves in a good position to make a run if we can get a goalie. Next offseason I imagine they look hard to move him

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:07 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'd be very hesitant to move Briere simply for the playoff play that he brings. IMHO he has been our best playoff performer all 3 years he has been here (aside from maybe Umby against Mon). For whatever reason the guy really turns up the heat in the post season. Best line this year Hartnell, Briere, Leino. Best line last year Powe, Briere, Giroux.

jd2210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Haute Couturier

I absolutely agree that trading Briere makes the most sense out of anyone. His cap hit really hurts our salary structure. He has the highest cap hit, but he is not a top 3 forward or a top 2 center on this team. He is also turns 33 in a few months and has 5 more years left on his deal. It's still going to be a huge albatross in the end. When he hits his decline he isn't going to be very useful. At least Gags has his defense to be useful when he is no longer an offensive performer.

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that we can just dump him on a team like the Isles to help them reach the salary floor. I constantly hear people repeat this, but when do teams ever take bad contracts just to reach the salary floor? It doesn't happen.

Also trading Carter over Briere is the dumbest thing I've heard.

Briere is a heck of a playoff performer, but he'll never have that type of playoff again. That's why it was so historic.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote