HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34: Rangers @ Flyers - Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2010, 05:07 PM
  #626
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
That pass by Richards was other-worldly.
Yes it was

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
  #627
drownedsailors
Registered User
 
drownedsailors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Pretty sure you're high.

I'm absolutely 100% positive we won't get a shutout the entire season.
lmao sorry...I guess that's what happens when you try scanning through all the posts


P.S anybody see Lavi's post-game interview? was that his daughter standing next to him? she's so adorable!


Last edited by drownedsailors: 12-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:14 PM
  #628
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
And just in case you missed it...


In his defense... it was his first NHL game... he has to learn those kind of things.


Seriously, what a roller-coaster day for the rookie:

^ - Elation of playing in the Bigs

V - Team getting drubbed

^ - Scores a goal

V - Sees it waived off

^ - Watches hopeful replay and review thinking call will be overruled

V - Hears Ref uphold No Goal call

^ - Settles on bench, realizing that he's playing in NHL... decides to look cool

V - Gets caught on camera looking like an ass not being able to use the hydration dispenser




... I wonder how that dude to his right on the bench kept from laughing at him when it happened.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:16 PM
  #629
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
lmao sorry...I guess that's what happens when you try scanning through all the posts


And after all, that word 'a' is such a tiny one.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:28 PM
  #630
LI Fly Guy
Registered User
 
LI Fly Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
In his defense... it was his first NHL game... he has to learn those kind of things.


Seriously, what a roller-coaster day for the rookie:

^ - Elation of playing in the Bigs

V - Team getting drubbed

^ - Scores a goal

V - Sees it waived off

^ - Watches hopeful replay and review thinking call will be overruled

V - Hears Ref uphold No Goal call

^ - Settles on bench, realizing that he's playing in NHL... decides to look cool

V - Gets caught on camera looking like an ass not being able to use the hydration dispenser




... I wonder how that dude to his right on the bench kept from laughing at him when it happened.
You forgot the part where he took it out on Carbomb........

and apparently being sent back down to AHL...........

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:30 PM
  #631
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
You know, I think this Giroux guy can pass the puck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He might just turn out to be an okay NHL'er.
Maybe one day he will be as good as Kadri.





If we're lucky.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
  #632
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Everytime the flyers beat someone in the past few days. I go into the other teams GDTs and sure enough i hear the Flyers aren't good and a couple bounces and we beat them easily or they got lucky.

I mean sure, but don't they realize we have bounces to that didn't go in? We beat a team 5-1 and they say, well if it wasn't for those 4 turnovers the game would be completely different. Well holy geez!!
Tell me about it. It's kind of pathetic actually. I go to the other team's GDT and it's non-stop excuse making lately.

As far as the game goes, here's a few observations:

-Richards was utterly fantastic. Killer on the PK, generating a lot of high-quality offensive chances, made a beautiful past for that first assist. Shame he didn't get a goal, but wow.

-Boucher looked shaky throughout the whole game to me. I think we were fortunate to be playing such a talentless forward squad (relatively speaking at least), but they're also fortunate that we were playing Boucher. Still, he only let one goal in and he did make a few great saves so props to him still. He's having a great month, but like when Leighton did it last year I feel lately it's been more about the defense helping him out then anything.

-I still hold the same stance on Zherdev that I used to. We should keep him around for this year just because he's a great secondary scorer and we need guys like him to round out this whole "top nine scoring lines" idea. With that said, he was kind of odd today. Got a couple of fantastic goals, but he still did his usual thing. Had a bunch of giveaways (in both the defensive and offensive zones), played some bad defense, and even took a bad penalty (although he redeemed himself or it almost immediately). Still, I really like the effort he displayed.

-Shelley was scratched. **** yeah. Also, Carbomb is a million times better then Shelley.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
  #633
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
how many games do we need to win in a row in order for Shelley to become a regular scratch?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
  #634
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
The Rangers GDT is hillarious if anyone is in need of a laugh. Apparently we won on complete luck, and all our goals were good bounces for us

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
  #635
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,621
vCash: 500
Richards had a great bounce back game. He had a bad game in Montreal and was back to his normal self today. That pass to Zherdev was so smart.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
  #636
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
how many games do we need to win in a row in order for Shelley to become a regular scratch?
By my count 211, seeing as he is signed through two more years after this.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:13 PM
  #637
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 13,424
vCash: 500
I didn't read through the GDT as I was driving 9 hours today home from school. I got home 5 minutes ago, do people really still hate Zherdev?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:16 PM
  #638
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The Rangers GDT is hillarious if anyone is in need of a laugh. Apparently we won on complete luck, and all our goals were good bounces for us
That's cool... the hockey gods just hate the rangers.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:17 PM
  #639
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Tell me about it. It's kind of pathetic actually. I go to the other team's GDT and it's non-stop excuse making lately.

As far as the game goes, here's a few observations:

-Richards was utterly fantastic. Killer on the PK, generating a lot of high-quality offensive chances, made a beautiful past for that first assist. Shame he didn't get a goal, but wow.

-Boucher looked shaky throughout the whole game to me. I think we were fortunate to be playing such a talentless forward squad (relatively speaking at least), but they're also fortunate that we were playing Boucher. Still, he only let one goal in and he did make a few great saves so props to him still. He's having a great month, but like when Leighton did it last year I feel lately it's been more about the defense helping him out then anything.

-I still hold the same stance on Zherdev that I used to. We should keep him around for this year just because he's a great secondary scorer and we need guys like him to round out this whole "top nine scoring lines" idea. With that said, he was kind of odd today. Got a couple of fantastic goals, but he still did his usual thing. Had a bunch of giveaways (in both the defensive and offensive zones), played some bad defense, and even took a bad penalty (although he redeemed himself or it almost immediately). Still, I really like the effort he displayed.

-Shelley was scratched. **** yeah. Also, Carbomb is a million times better then Shelley.
While I am not a Shelley fan and would rather see him scratched most nights and dressed for selected games... I still have to wonder if that crap that Briere took in the Third would have happened if Shelley were dressed.

At that point I understand the Flyers keeping their cool and nailing down the two points while denying the Rags any... but Briere was out of his league there and had to take that crap. I have to think that names were taken and payback will be forthcoming later in the season.


As for the Boucher points; I actually didn't feel that he had as bad a games as you did... I do admit that he had a few close escapes, but see most of them as products of positioning and his reactions and the fact that he took away so much and all they had were the near misses.

That said, and playing off the Leighten play last season point, I have been a proponent of the Flyers goaltending being a product of the various systems the Flyers have employed over the years... The Flyers have always played a game that supports their goalie rather than one that feeds off of them. Flyers success over the years after Bernie have often been with the understanding that a goalie not losing games for them will be successful... If a goalie makes the saves he should make, while not having to make fantastic ones throughout the game, he will be fine.

Over the years goalies have been plugged in as they roll on... If a goalie fails to make the routine save... screws the pooch more than normal... he will not fit in in the Organization. Non spectacular yet steady goalies have been employed and great resources have not had to be expended over the years... Clarke had lived and died with that, and Homer is following suite.

Over the years journeyman goalies and end of career goalies have been successful in the Organization... Can that bring a Cup? Apparently not... not as of yet.

Give this team a to tier goalie and we may see how great they can be... Can Bob be that down the line? I sure hope so.

I'm no goaltending expert so take that FWIW.


Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-18-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
  #640
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
how many games do we need to win in a row in order for Shelley to become a regular scratch?
My guess is an infinite number.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:21 PM
  #641
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
That's cool... the hockey gods just hate the rangers.


Just like the rest of us, huh?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
  #642
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,546
vCash: 500
This huge break is good for rest and getting players healthy but we just owned this 4 game tough stretch...kinda want to see a lot of games now. But good timing with the Pronger injury.

Best team in the league no matter what the wings do with the games in hand. This team is rock solid!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
  #643
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
While I am not a Shelley fan and would rather see him scratched most nights and dressed for selected games... I still have to wonder if that crap that Briere took in the Third would have happened if Shelley were dressed.

At that point I understand the Flyers keeping their cool and nailing down the two points while denying the Rags any... but Briere was out of his league there and had to take that crap. I have to think that names were taken and payback will be forthcoming later in the season.
What would shelley of done? Dropped the gloves, taken a 2 minute minor for delay of game, and probably cost us a goal. Nothing happened to Briere. If he can't take a little push like that, he shouldn't be on the ice

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:25 PM
  #644
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
While I am not a Shelley fan and would rather see him scratched most nights and dressed for selected games... I still have to wonder if that crap that Briere took in the Third would have happened if Shelley were dressed.

At that point I understand the Flyers keeping their cool and nailing down the two points while denying the Rags any... but Briere was out of his league there and had to take that crap. I have to think that names were taken and payback will be forthcoming later in the season.


As for the Boucher points; I actually didn't feel that he had as bad a games as you did... I do admit that he had a few close escapes, but see most of them as products of positioning and his reactions and the fact that he took away so much and all they had were the near misses.

That said, and playing off the Leighten play last season point, I have been a proponent of the Flyers goaltending being a product of the various systems the Flyers have employed over the years... The Flyers have always played a game that supports their goalie rather than one that feeds off of them. Flyers success over the years after Bernie have often been with the understanding that a goalie not losing games for them will be successful... If a goalie makes the saves he should make, while not having to make fantastic ones throughout the game, he will be fine.

Over the years goalies have been plugged in as they roll on... If a goalie fails to make the routine save... screws the pooch more than normal... he will not fit in in the Organization. Non spectacular yet steady goalies have been employed and great resources have not had to be expended over the years... Clarke had lived and died with that, and Homer is following suite.

Over the years journeyman goalies and end of career goalies have been successful in the Organization... Can that bring a Cup? Apparently not... not as of yet.

Give this team a to tier goalie and we may see how great they can be... Can Bob be that down the line? I sure hope so.

I'm no goaltending expert so that that all FWIW.
This philosophy can work when you have a large sample size of games, against a group of opponents that represent the whole spectrum of NHL teams.In the play-offs, when each opponent gets better and the margin for error is smaller, you need your goalie to be excellent.

It is almost impossible to be so good that you can best the entirety of the league with out relying on your goalie to bail you out sometimes. If your aim is to win a cup, then your team had better be above average on all fronts, IMO.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
  #645
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Just like the rest of us, huh?
Absolutely.

And all the tears over at the Rag's GDT... just doesn't bring me as much joy as Hab fan tears... nothing beats theirs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
  #646
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What would shelley of done? Dropped the gloves, taken a 2 minute minor for delay of game, and probably cost us a goal. Nothing happened to Briere. If he can't take a little push like that, he shouldn't be on the ice
From some inside sources word coming down is that Shelley was signed to allow the stars to no have to take crap... Supposedly Richards admitted that it was a problem. Shelly was to be insurance that liberty is not taken with the stars... and supposedly it has been working.

The point I was trying to make is that if Shelley was dressed would they have taken liberties with Briere in that obvious case, and on all the stars in the cases we don't easily see? I was not suggesting that they at that time screw u the game by retaliation... on the contrary... and that is what I posted. They can however take names and be reminded of it when it matter much less down the line.

Briere could and did take that push and verbal abuse and challenges... but he shouldn't have had to do so is my point... Sure it was a little push, but the Flyers have never been a team to allow their smaller players to take abuse... They have been the intimidators and not the intimidated; not that Briere was intimidated.

My point was; would it have happened had Shelly been dressed? Maybe yes, but maybe not.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:46 PM
  #647
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
If the boogey man was dressed whats his face's Gatorade bottle probably wouldn't have trolled him.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
  #648
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
From some inside sources word coming down is that Shelley was signed to allow the stars to no have to take crap... Supposedly Richards admitted that it was a problem. Shelly was to be insurance that liberty is not taken with the stars... and supposedly it has been working.

The point I was trying to make is that if Shelley was dressed would they have taken liberties with Briere in that obvious case, and on all the stars in the cases we don't easily see? I was not suggesting that they at that time screw u the game by retaliation... on the contrary... and that is what I posted. They can however take names and be reminded of it when it matter much less down the line.

Briere could and did take that push and verbal abuse and challenges... but he shouldn't have had to do so is my point... Sure it was a little push, but the Flyers have never been a team to allow their smaller players to take abuse... They have been the intimidators and not the intimidated; not that Briere was intimidated.

My point was; would it have happened had Shelly been dressed? Maybe yes, but maybe not.
There is an instigator penalty. And Shelley is too slow to hit someone with speed.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
  #649
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
This philosophy can work when you have a large sample size of games, against a group of opponents that represent the whole spectrum of NHL teams.In the play-offs, when each opponent gets better and the margin for error is smaller, you need your goalie to be excellent.

It is almost impossible to be so good that you can best the entirety of the league with out relying on your goalie to bail you out sometimes. If your aim is to win a cup, then your team had better be above average on all fronts, IMO.
All points well taken... and it supports my post in that the Flyers have not won a Cup since Bernie as I stated... and maybe Bob will take them there. My point was that the Flyers system is what it is and the goalies are a product of that system... plug them in and expect them to make the saves they should while supporting them... and not living and dying with a superstar goalie.

It would of course be great if they played that system with an outstanding goalie... and, as you stated, that could allowed them to make it all the way through the playoffs.

All that said... they could have easily won last season with that system and those goalies as the Western goalie was not stellar either... Had Leighten just stopped the shots he should have stopped in the Finals, the Flyers would be Champions today as I see it... He didn't/they aren't.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
  #650
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The point I was trying to make is that if Shelley was dressed would they have taken liberties with Briere in that obvious case, and on all the stars in the cases we don't easily see?
What would Shelley have done about it? Get pounded? It's not like he can protect our stars because he's not on their lines. He'd just have a good view from the bench

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.