HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What kind of Vet would fit Isles..

Old
12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
What kind of Vet would fit Isles..

If there was a player the Isles could get via trade and sign or offer sheet, who would help the young guys on this team the most? I would say Richards, but at the same time an offer sheet for Parise would be nice too or both. What do you guys think? We have to be up to something whether it is during the season this year or this summer. This roster wont be like this forever.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:17 AM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
If there was a player the Isles could get via trade and sign or offer sheet, who would help the young guys on this team the most? I would say Richards, but at the same time an offer sheet for Parise would be nice too or both. What do you guys think? We have to be up to something whether it is during the season this year or this summer. This roster wont be like this forever.
A Mike Sillinger type player. When you needed a tying goal, insurance goal or a winning goal with seconds left in regulation, I remember he was there a lot of times. Great player when with the isles!

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:29 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123 View Post
A Mike Sillinger type player. When you needed a tying goal, insurance goal or a winning goal with seconds left in regulation, I remember he was there a lot of times. Great player when with the isles!
out of everyone u choice a mike sillinger type of player?????

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:48 AM
RafterRat

yashin

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:22 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

I think the ideal pipedream players are Richards and iginla but those are unlikely to happen.

In terms of ufas I think this team needs 2-3 forwards who can contribute and lead by example as well as 1-2 defensemen. It is time to start making decisions on the borderline roster players we have and start culling them in favor of some more experience and contribution. I really think that this summer is the hinge point for the rebuild. The core guys need support and this summer will be when it is most important to give it to them. I think 3 capable vets is the minimum.

Forwards I would look at ufas gagne, Justin Williams, hejduk and to a lesser extent Erik Cole, arnott and langenbrunner. We would have to overpay and sell these guys hard but I think it is our only hope. Less likely is a trade but I would ask about morrow, doan and hartnell. Don't think they will be moved but they could also be valuable. Lecavalier could be available but it's doubtful we take that contract or can stomach the cap hit. All of these guys would be hard to get but could all provide good value.

On d my main target would be pitkanen. He plays 25 min a night and had 46 pts last year. Other targets could be jovo, gill, macabe or kaberle. Again unlikely but those are guys that I think could help.

Obviously all of this depends in Wang opening the Waller which is a big if.

The best scenario I could see happening (though extremely unlikely) would be gagne, Williams, langenbrunner, pitkanen and gill. This would push some guys off the team and some to the ahl but I think we could be competitive. This does not take into account nine or this years first playing themselves onto the team but if they did it would shift things around. If snow thinks in the summer this is the case I would forego langenbrunner.

Gagne-Tavares- okposo
Moulson-Bailey-Williams
Grabner-nielsen- langenbrunner
Martin-konopka-com eau/schremp/hunter (pending camp battle. Don't like schremp on line 4 so he could be a guy squeezed off

Joensuu to the ahl gillies spare

Streit- amac
Pitkanen-gill
Wiz-eaton
Hillen-mottau extras
Gervais, jurcina, Marty gone via ufa
Hamonic first injury call up

Somethings to iron out but I think that squad could compete. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by OhNoItsComeau57: 12-18-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Damn iPad auto correct. Apologies.
OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:40 AM
OlTimeHockey

A LEGIT first line playmaker with speed.
A LEGIT first pairing defenseman with size.
A LEGIT starting goalie.

Everything else is just to get the team further, but we need all three. Rolo is done, he can play but he's got to HATE being here by now. MacDonald is here, Martinek is here, Streit is here. Tavares and Moulson are first liners who need a veteran to advance JT and help Moulson earn his contract. Okposo and Bailey can do well with a vet or someone who survives. Nino can play with Frans and Schremp. The rest.....whatever works.

What will we end up with? Whatever is cheap.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Isles727

I 100% agree on Pitkanen. He will probably become a UFA and the Isles will need to overpay but have a shot if they can sell him on this year being an aberration. Isles will let Wiz go. So the defense could look like Streit, Pitkanen, De Haan, Hamonic, Mac, Eaton with Motteau or Martinek as 7th defenseman. That is a darn good defense if they saty healthy. Goalies will DiPietro and perhaps Poulin or Koskinen. Roloson will leave as he wants one last shot at a cup even as a backup. I could see him in Chicago with them letting Turco go. Here is the problem with the forwards that were mentioned. Love Gagne, and would be a great fit. BUT he is used to winning and probably won't come and he is hurt all the time which does nobody any good. Justin Williams is not a first line player. Cole is injury prone and not a 1st line player. Hejduk is great but too old. Iginla would be awesome but long shot because he wont come, too old, and you have to give up a ton for him. Not sure Calgary would trade him anyways. Doan is not going anywhere especially with new owner there. Parise will stay in NJ. No doubt about it. I would be shocked if he did not.
That leaves the question. Do you go overpay for Semin as he is looking for the biggest payday. He may be the best bet to get Tavares a proven winger. If you do that and have the 1st pick the forward lines would like:

Couturier Tavares Semin
Nino Bailey Okposo
Comeau Neilsen Grabner
Martin Konopcka Ulstrom

Jonessu has no future with Isles. Inconsistent and brings nothing significant to the table other than size. Hunter gets waived/bought out. No way he comes back. He is wasting a roster spot. Moulson will be gone if you sign Semin. If everyone is healthy. That team should be very competitive and in playoff race.Now well see if the Islanders under Wang/Snow feel ANY urgency to repair all the damage they have caused this year with their lack communication and competency to build a winner. If they don't do anything, this franchise is history as there is NO way Tavares will stay after his contract is up.

Isles727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:40 AM
BillD

Not sure that Semin is the winger that would best compliment Tavares.
Semin is a very highly skilled winger who can both finish and make some nice plays for his line. He is also under rated as far as playing traffic and paying the price, but he is not the physical presence that would best help JT.
If JT develops as a finisher, then we need a big fast and ideally physical type wing who can get the puck of the wall, with good enough skill to set up chances for Tavares to finish. That would set up well with Tavares at center and Okposo on RW.
Guys that come to mind are an Ulf Dahlen type, or Jere Lehtenen, both now retired. Maybe one day that guy could be Petrov.
I would sacrifice some skill for that winger to have the physical ability to also provide some protection for Tavares, have his back and step up if he gets abused.
In other words, Clark Gillies.

Last edited by BillD: 12-18-2010 at 06:49 AM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Not sure that Semin is the winger that would best compliment Tavares.
Semin is a very highly skilled winger who can both finish and make some nice plays for his line. He is also under rated as far as playing traffic and paying the price, but he is not the physical presence that would best help JT.
If JT develops as a finisher, then we need a big fast and ideally physical type wing who can get the puck of the wall, with good enough skill to set up chances for Tavares to finish. That would set up well with Tavares at center and Okposo on RW.
Guys that come to mind are an Ulf Dahlen type, or Jere Lehtenen, both now retired. Maybe one day that guy could be Petrov.
I wuld sacrifice some skill for that winger to have the physical ability to also provide some protection for Tavares, have his back and step up if he gets abused.
In other words, Clark Gillies.
I can't see the isles signing anyone to an rfa offer sheet.They just won't open themselves up to a retalitory move.

If the isles can't sign a quality winger for Tavares,then I expect we'll be reading about Petrov and their mancrush on him again this summer.His agent was unable to get his KHL team to let him out of his contract last summer.But they did end up trading him to another KHL team.Maybe that team will be more willing to let the young rw go.He has one more yr on his contract.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:37 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
out of everyone u choice a mike sillinger type of player?????
A good veteran leader who can score a bit, win a lot of faceoffs, and play above average D?

Yeah really, who would want that....?

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Riddick

lets not forget that the isles are getting a top3 pick this year at the very least. so you have to imagine theyll probably have some high pick here on the island too. maybe even el nino. honestly, i dont see the isles really adding anyone. theyll 'try' but thats about it.

Riddick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:07 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Richards would be PERFECT, but thats a pipedream. 30 yr old, SC winner, with still a lot left in the tank. He could be your number 1 center, with JT rding shotgun, or have JT be the #2 center behind Richards. Less pressure and a great guy to learn from.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:18 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Richards would be PERFECT, but thats a pipedream. 30 yr old, SC winner, with still a lot left in the tank. He could be your number 1 center, with JT rding shotgun, or have JT be the #2 center behind Richards. Less pressure and a great guy to learn from.
Richards is a terrific talent, but even if he would sign here (very doubtful) he is not a dynamic enough player to be able to prosper without any capable support. We would be just a bit better off than when we started unless a player like KO is ready to elevate his game. JT on his wing would not cut it, Richards would have too much responsibility for a young player that is still struggling with several parts of his game that adding a skilled partner will not cure all by itself.
This is an academic discussion because Richards will have other options and will not coome to the shipwreck of the NHL, and Wang will not endure what it would cost to pay him.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
lets not forget that the isles are getting a top3 pick this year at the very least. so you have to imagine theyll probably have some high pick here on the island too. maybe even el nino. honestly, i dont see the isles really adding anyone. theyll 'try' but thats about it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nino makes next yr's team.

I don't think the Isles can really count on their 2011 first rounder to stick and contribute immediately.Looking at their last 4 first rounders(Tavares,Nino,Nelson and De Haan),only Tavares stuck and contributed right after being drafted.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:23 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Richards is a terrific talent, but even if he would sign here (very doubtful) he is not a dynamic enough player to be able to prosper without any capable support. We would be just a bit better off than when we started unless a player like KO is ready to elevate his game. JT on his wing would not cut it, Richards would have too much responsibility for a young player that is still struggling with several parts of his game that adding a skilled partner will not cure all by itself.
This is an academic discussion because Richards will have other options and will not coome to the shipwreck of the NHL, and Wang will not endure what it would cost to pay him.
I agree that there is no chance of him coming here. But, I disagree about Richards not making this team much better. I think he is an elite player and would instanly make the Isles 100x better.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Macch

This upcoming free agent market is pretty weak. Richards and Semin, both players I cant see coming here. After that, there aren't any real difference makers. Unless Snow can pull a Wiz like trade off, this team is going to look very similar next season.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
RWWallpaper

Any veteran players who are old enough to know how to play this game the right way, but are still young enough to be asked for I.D. when ordering alcohol...that's what we need.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:51 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
A good veteran leader who can score a bit, win a lot of faceoffs, and play above average D?

Yeah really, who would want that....?
I agree, but that would not be the number 1 guy I woukd want them to pursue. They need a veteran goal scorer. He wasnt even really ever a 20 goal player

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:01 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Troy Brouwer. He has played just under 200 games, won a stanley cup and is only 25.

You have to trade to get him so I would propose we send Nielsen or Shremp with CHI probably wanting Nielsen. However, Schremp and Bolland had great success together in junior. Throwing in Gervais or Hillen to get it done if necessary.

JP Dumont comes to mind as well.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
Troy Brouwer. He has played just under 200 games, won a stanley cup and is only 25.

You have to trade to get him so I would propose we send Nielsen or Shremp with CHI probably wanting Nielsen. However, Schremp and Bolland had great success together in junior. Throwing in Gervais or Hillen to get it done if necessary.

JP Dumont comes to mind as well.

Nielsen is the only player I can see the Hawks being interested in. I really doubt that Gervais or Hillen will ever be a deal breaker in any deal

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:15 PM
marty 4 hart*

What about Dru? They are hating on him on Manhattan, but he is a great leader and playoff performer. He could help Tavares become a superstar.

marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty 4 hart View Post
What about Dru? They are hating on him on Manhattan, but he is a great leader and playoff performer. He could help Tavares become a superstar.
They need a vet with more scoring punch.

Old
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

The type of vet the Isles want is one making no money whatsoever.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

We have Tavares and Moulson, both scoring punch, but with a history of misaddressing needs (Yashin) we're going after more scoring punch?

We need a guy who can create room and dish the puck off. We need Trottier and people are clamoring for another Bossy. So we relive the winger for Yash debacle until we ascertain what we truly need. (also, said playmaker should be above par speed and defensive ability)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:44 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
We have Tavares and Moulson, both scoring punch, but with a history of misaddressing needs (Yashin) we're going after more scoring punch?

We need a guy who can create room and dish the puck off. We need Trottier and people are clamoring for another Bossy. So we relive the winger for Yash debacle until we ascertain what we truly need. (also, said playmaker should be above par speed and defensive ability)
Yes, OTH scoring punch. I didnt mean that just in goals, but assists and pts as well. Thats why I think Richards (creates more than he scores) would be perfect!!!!