HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Passing is what prevents this team from being great

Old
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Passing is what prevents this team from being great

Our leader in Assists is Girardi with 16, followed by Avery with 14. And we played more games than other teams.

Also what happened to safe is death? Why are we playing so conservative? Why not unleash the offensive pressure?

Why did we trade an asset for Zherdev and then released him for nothing so that a rival team would sign him cheap?

Why not try Anisimov with Gaborik? Last year's lack of chemistry does not mean this year is the same thing.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Our leader in Assists is Girardi with 16, followed by Avery with 14. And we played more games than other teams.

Also what happened to safe is death? Why are we playing so conservative? Why not unleash the offensive pressure?

Why did we trade an asset for Zherdev and then released him for nothing so that a rival team would sign him cheap?

Why not try Anisimov with Gaborik? Last year's lack of chemistry does not mean this year is the same thing.
i disagree...i think what prevents this team from being great are a few things that all weigh in equally.

1) we are VERY young...especially some of our better players. we once again have 2+ rookies on our team that play huge important minutes for us instead of being brought in as supplements.

2) our captain. he makes 7 million bucks a year and plays like a 1.5-2 million dollar a year player. your highest paid players need to perform like elite players. Drurys contract will continue to be a detriment to this team till he is gone. that extra 5 mil can go a long way towards fixing our holes.

3) lack of skill. we lack skill, period. we work hard, we get dirty goals, and it works really really well against teams that are either lazy, or also fairly unskilled. we outwork the lazy teams, we our skill the hardworking teams with no skill. but teams like the Flyers, that are BOTH hardworking AND skilled....those teams eat us alive. Penguins are the same way, as are the Red Wings, Blackhawks, etc. the elite teams are always both. skilled, and damn hard working. we're unquestionably one of the hardest working teams in the league. that is all thanks to our coach imho. but we are also unquestionably one of the least skilled teams in the league, and that is on our GM.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i disagree...i think what prevents this team from being great are a few things that all weigh in equally.

1) we are VERY young...especially some of our better players. we once again have 2+ rookies on our team that play huge important minutes for us instead of being brought in as supplements.

2) our captain. he makes 7 million bucks a year and plays like a 1.5-2 million dollar a year player. your highest paid players need to perform like elite players. Drurys contract will continue to be a detriment to this team till he is gone. that extra 5 mil can go a long way towards fixing our holes.

3) lack of skill. we lack skill, period. we work hard, we get dirty goals, and it works really really well against teams that are either lazy, or also fairly unskilled. we outwork the lazy teams, we our skill the hardworking teams with no skill. but teams like the Flyers, that are BOTH hardworking AND skilled....those teams eat us alive. Penguins are the same way, as are the Red Wings, Blackhawks, etc. the elite teams are always both. skilled, and damn hard working. we're unquestionably one of the hardest working teams in the league. that is all thanks to our coach imho. but we are also unquestionably one of the least skilled teams in the league, and that is on our GM.
I agree, but pass IS one of the skills we lack. Good, SMART passing that is.

1) Yep. Very happy for the most part, but they ARE indeed rookies and other youngsters.

2) I've thrown Drury under the bus since preseason, so I'll refrain here for the moment since it is so early in his"comeback"

3)True, but getting back to the youngsters, THEY are still developing their skills (see Boyle). I guess the hope is that through continued growth of the young guns, and adding a key (skilled) veteran in the next year or 2, we maybe make a run to the finals.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I agree, but pass IS one of the skills we lack. Good, SMART passing that is.

1) Yep. Very happy for the most part, but they ARE indeed rookies and other youngsters.

2) I've thrown Drury under the bus since preseason, so I'll refrain here for the moment since it is so early in his"comeback"

3)True, but getting back to the youngsters, THEY are still developing their skills (see Boyle). I guess the hope is that through continued growth of the young guns, and adding a key (skilled) veteran in the next year or 2, we maybe make a run to the finals.
i agree...imho i think we need to bring in 1 more skilled player. a guy like Richards would solve a lot of our problems. If we could pick him up in free agency (and trade Rozsival to make the salaries work) you could still develop the core, but, more importantly you dont throw them into the fire and make them lead you, you let them grow and learn in supplementary roles, a-la Giroux and JVR and Crosby and Stamkos etc till they are ready to take over the mantle when you let guys like Gaborik and Richards walk.

Next year maybe something like...

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Drury - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - MZA/Grachev
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Weise/Boogaard

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - Sauer
Eminger - McDonagh

you still get your youth movement while bringing in another 3, count em 3 rookies. you still have your core players, you have one of the best 4th lines in the league that you can throw out there for 10 minutes a night and not have to worry about em whatsoever, you have Dubinsky playin on the first line, WHERE HE BELONGS, you have Stepan and Anisimov not being thrown into the fire expecting to carry us, but instead forming a solid 2nd and 3rd pair center duo that are probably interchangeable, and most importantly you have a true first line that gives you primary scoring AND have plenty of supplemental scoring to boot AND get younger in the process. You have your super young kids playing 3rd line minutes, developing together, with the knowledge that their ice time is for them to learn, and you bring them up in an environment designed to help them win.

Just saying.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

im glad im not the only one that noticed this team can barely complete a pass this season.

too far behind the player, bouncing over sticks. ridiculous.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
OverTheCap

Passing would solve some of the team's problems, but they are still missing the net way too often. Before Stepan scored his goal, he and Frolov missed the net like 5 times from point blank range (that still didn't prevent the Philly idiots from cheering "Boooouch" though).

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

We also telegraph everything, especially against philly. We're showing our hand on every pass and shot. Which makes the pass look worse.

A less than elegant pass that connects is a good pass, a pass that has zip but is intercepted in the neutral zone with anticipated transition is trouble.

Confidence plays a big role, and there are a lot of factors that come into play with regards to making that pass a split second sooner, with confidence. Being sure of not only yourself, but your team mate and what he is going to do.

We have a ways to go, BUT I feel this year we are in fact moving in the right direction. I don't feel like this loss was a waste. I think we learna little bit every game this year.

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 12-18-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: word
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Loto68

Things aren't helped by the fact that our so called number one Offensive D-man hasn't completed a breakout pass this season and actually makes our power play worse with his horrendous decision making.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
i agree...imho i think we need to bring in 1 more skilled player. a guy like Richards would solve a lot of our problems. If we could pick him up in free agency (and trade Rozsival to make the salaries work) you could still develop the core, but, more importantly you dont throw them into the fire and make them lead you, you let them grow and learn in supplementary roles, a-la Giroux and JVR and Crosby and Stamkos etc till they are ready to take over the mantle when you let guys like Gaborik and Richards walk.

Next year maybe something like...

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Drury - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - MZA/Grachev
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Weise/Boogaard

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - Sauer
Eminger - McDonagh

you still get your youth movement while bringing in another 3, count em 3 rookies. you still have your core players, you have one of the best 4th lines in the league that you can throw out there for 10 minutes a night and not have to worry about em whatsoever, you have Dubinsky playin on the first line, WHERE HE BELONGS, you have Stepan and Anisimov not being thrown into the fire expecting to carry us, but instead forming a solid 2nd and 3rd pair center duo that are probably interchangeable, and most importantly you have a true first line that gives you primary scoring AND have plenty of supplemental scoring to boot AND get younger in the process. You have your super young kids playing 3rd line minutes, developing together, with the knowledge that their ice time is for them to learn, and you bring them up in an environment designed to help them win.

Just saying.
I really doubt that Fedotenko and Drury are back next season. Drury will be bought out.

Old
12-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:

Drury did not play most of the season, and either our playmakers aren't as good as we think or there is a problem somewhere in the system that the coach is using.

Old
12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Things aren't helped by the fact that our so called number one Offensive D-man hasn't completed a breakout pass this season and actually makes our power play worse with his horrendous decision making.
Why not send him down and bring up Valentenko or McD. Could be a win-win situation, maybe Del Zotto finds his game and regains confidence.

Old
12-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
We also telegraph everything, especially against philly. We're showing our hand on every pass and shot. Which makes the pass look worse.

A less than elegant pass that connects is a good pass, a pass that has zip but is intercepted in the neutral zone with anticipated transition is trouble.

Confidence plays a big role, and there are a lot of factors that come into play with regards to making that pass a split second sooner, with confidence. Being sure of not only yourself, but your team mate and what he is going to do.

We have a ways to go, BUT I feel this year we are in fact moving in the right direction. I don't feel like this loss was a waste. I think we learna little bit every game this year.
Yeah, they keep it too simple and are playing too safe.

Old
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
John Torturella

the Zherdev obsession has to end. He shows up when he wants. He isnt a player for this team. I dont care what he is doing this year.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

For my part, I've always wondered how much time Tortorella has the team spend on fundamentals in practice. Even pros need to drill that stuff or it can get rusty.

In fact, I don't even think it's the passing that's the problem. Guys on the team seem to have a hard time accepting passes, even when they're decent.

No panic though. We aren't as good of a team as the Flyers and won't be this year. As long as they keep doing what they've been doing, I'm fine for now.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:16 PM
John Torturella

Its unbelievable how much people nitpick after one loss to the best team in hockey right now.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its unbelievable how much people nitpick after one loss to the best team in hockey right now.
Lets call a spade a spade, how we are playing now will never get a team anywhere.

1. We are not good defensively.

2. All our offense, basically, comes from forced mistakes.

3. Our special-teams are struggling.

We will have a very hard time against a team that puts it all together against us...

We need players with more creativity.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Lets call a spade a spade, how we are playing now will never get a team anywhere.

1. We are not good defensively.

2. All our offense, basically, comes from forced mistakes.

3. Our special-teams are struggling.

We will have a very hard time against a team that puts it all together against us...

We need players with more creativity.
These are signs of growing pains, that's all. We're not winning the cup so sit back and enjoy the kids, we've waited decades for this.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
These are signs of growing pains, that's all. We're not winning the cup so sit back and enjoy the kids, we've waited decades for this.
???

We've waited less than 20 years for this. I seem to remember a young, up and coming Rangers team from my formative years that had it's pieces turned into a Stanley Cup champion. Who knows what will happen with this team.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Anytime we lose a game this happens. Then the next time we'll win one and people will go crazy with praise. Facts are we're a playoff team this year, and that's the only real distinction that matters. We'll see what happens come playoff time, but we should be encouraged that we're doing this with these young kids who are really showing something right now.

Basically the general premise of this thread is off. We are a great team, we will continue to be a great team.

Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 12-18-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:05 PM
LyNX27

1. Experience As A Team
2. Wasted Cap Space
3. Lack Of Overall And Skating Creativity

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Personally I think over passing is what prevents the team from being good. We have plenty of oppurtunities to shoot the puck but instead we pass. On the PP were looking for the perfect pass that will happen once every ten times if your lucky instead of whipping the puck at the net to test the goalie and try to get deflections.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Claxton

Time to call up Zuccarello.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
1. Experience As A Team
2. Wasted Cap Space
#3 is huge. There really isn't much creativity at all. The young players are slowly gaining some as their confidence rises but it's still very lacking.

Look at the Flyers PP vs. the Rangers PP today for example. Just look at the passing, the movement, the set ups. That's why we lost.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
???

We've waited less than 20 years for this. I seem to remember a young, up and coming Rangers team from my formative years that had it's pieces turned into a Stanley Cup champion. Who knows what will happen with this team.
Yeah cause Messier was homegrown alright. Without him we wouldn't have gotten past the Debbies.

Way to nitpick. Sure feels like like decades to me.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
1. Experience As A Team
2. Wasted Cap Space
Much like Inferno's list, reason 2 is a major factor in reason 3. Skill and creativity cost money. Alex Semin, despite tremendous flaws in his game and approach, is going to make serious bank if he reaches free agency. Skill and creativity are the hardest assets to find in the NHL today and the monetary value on those two qualities is higher than the value placed on defense, goaltending, "leadership", intangibles etc. Teams can't pay 2 million dollar players 7 million dollars and be successful unless they have rookies on ELC's to make up the slack. The Blackhawks were able to shield Campbell's awful contract because they had young players making far less than market value. The Rangers can't be a serious contender with Chris Drury's contract on the books.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote