HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Passing is what prevents this team from being great

Old
12-18-2010, 06:27 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
homegrown talent is a big part of it, but just because we've gotten burnt on signing the wrong free agents doesn't mean this team couldn't improve by bringing in the right talent.

We not a deep offensive team. Our top six right now is pretty weak.
We need a playmaking center and another scorer.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Yeah cause Messier was homegrown alright. Without him we wouldn't have gotten past the Debbies.

Way to nitpick. Sure feels like like decades to me.
I didn't say that the young pieces won the Cup, I said they were turned into a Cup champion. I mean, Messier himself was bought with Rice and DeBrusk (Nichols too, but we got him for youth also). Amonte, Weight, Turcotte, Marchant, Dahlen... all traded for pieces that led to the Cup.

Of course I was being nitpicky. From the time we traded Dahlen for Gartner, in 1990, until 2004 we've seen a continual parade of young talent traded for older. Of course, until 1995 we saw some pretty decent success from it. After that, it went straight to hell. It was a long time and definitely seems like it was longer than it was in reality.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:45 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Lets call a spade a spade, how we are playing now will never get a team anywhere.

1. We are not good defensively.

2. All our offense, basically, comes from forced mistakes.

3. Our special-teams are struggling.

We will have a very hard time against a team that puts it all together against us...

We need players with more creativity.
How we are playing right now won't get a team anywhere?
We are one of the hottest teams in the NHL, one of the few with 20+ wins, and we've dealt with alot of key injuries so far this year.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
Lets call a spade a spade, how we are playing now will never get a team anywhere.

1. We are not good defensively.

2. All our offense, basically, comes from forced mistakes.

3. Our special-teams are struggling.

We will have a very hard time against a team that puts it all together against us...

We need players with more creativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
Time to call up Zuccarello.

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Our offense comes from forced mistakes? Oh yeah, because 2 of Frolov's goals and Prust's goal last night constitutes our entire offense.

Our special teams are stuggling? Yeah right now, I can't argue that.

We are not good defensively? The problem with this is consistency. One night Staal and Girardi can look like a top pairing in the league. Another night they're very average. Alternatively, one night Roszival and MDZ can look good. Other nights they look real bad, especially MDZ.

HOWEVER, we're full of two way forwards with tons of potential on defense, and I wouldn't say we're not good by any strech. In fact, i'd say more often than not we range from very good to average.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
XLJ

The rangers are a good team. Whats stopping them from being great is not having another great player along with Gaborik. They have very good secondary scorers (Dubi, Stepan, Anisimov, Cally) and they have good bottom 6 players like (Boyle, Avery, Prust, Feds etc). This team is missing a top line player like Richards.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The rangers are a good team. Whats stopping them from being great is not having another great player along with Gaborik. They have very good secondary scorers (Dubi, Stepan, Anisimov, Cally) and they have good bottom 6 players like (Boyle, Avery, Prust, Feds etc). This team is missing a top line player like Richards.
Pretty much... A better working PP would be nice aswell.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Pretty much... A better working PP would be nice aswell.
A better working power play would likely come with a top flight center.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
A better working power play would likely come with a top flight center.
Or, some shots on goal. Or a body infront to screen/pick up the trash...

Old
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Avery can be our #1 center.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:13 AM
DekeR

I see this team and we are 4th in the NHL with wins. We lead the league in road wins. We are near the top with hits and blocked shots. I think we are fourth in goals scored and 8th in GAA. To boot we are one of the youngest teams in the NHL.
There is alot of good things going on and good prospects wanting to make the jump. Weise plays his first NHL game and the kid does not look like a deer with the headlights on. Considering what I thought at the beginning of the season, I am thrilled that this team is playing this well. This is good stuff.
But I agree, the passing and hitting the net can do with a little improvement.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:25 AM
BwayBshirt

We are not good defensively? Right now, that's news to me.

Sure the D-men aren't very consistent; yes there are hiccups in defensive play here & there, but right now the overall team defense is the most consistent I've seen it since the lockout. And that's without good puck possession.

With regards to the OP, good passing typically goes hand & hand with the center position. When the skill at that position improves, the passing overall will improve.

And yes, MDZ needs to wake up offensively at some point. That will help a ton too.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Much like Inferno's list, reason 2 is a major factor in reason 3. Skill and creativity cost money. Alex Semin, despite tremendous flaws in his game and approach, is going to make serious bank if he reaches free agency. Skill and creativity are the hardest assets to find in the NHL today and the monetary value on those two qualities is higher than the value placed on defense, goaltending, "leadership", intangibles etc. Teams can't pay 2 million dollar players 7 million dollars and be successful unless they have rookies on ELC's to make up the slack. The Blackhawks were able to shield Campbell's awful contract because they had young players making far less than market value. The Rangers can't be a serious contender with Chris Drury's contract on the books.
With Frolov, Gilroy, Fedotenko, Prospal gone and Drury bought out maybe we can finally sign a playmaking center that we need. I don't really see anyone stepping up as a good playmaker this season. Not even Gaborik or Stepan. Drury, Anisimov, Boyle, and Christensen are more of a shooters than passers.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
How we are playing right now won't get a team anywhere?

We are one of the hottest teams in the NHL, one of the few with 20+ wins, and we've dealt with alot of key injuries so far this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
These are signs of growing pains, that's all. We're not winning the cup so sit back and enjoy the kids, we've waited decades for this.
Its not signs of growing pains. You guys are overrating the value of getting pts during stretches of the regular season something tremendously.

Just one fact:
-We are not nearly looking as good as NJD did durint the regulars season of the 09-10 season, the 08-09 season, the 07-08 season.

Like, wow, we have a deep team, work hard, and is a mediocre team in a weak division. All this while our homegrown players are just entering their prime -- while still being cheap. We are at the same stage this year as Chicago was last year, our kids can play, but are still so cheap that we can surround them with older players that costs a lot.

A lot of things needs to be improved on this team for us to even become a solid top 4 in the East, let alone a contender.

I am sorry, I am hardly content with where we are at. And at this place, we are definitely in one of those phases, like the one we had early last season when people thought we were a contender, and one which we will look back at in the near future saying -- "what the F were we thinking?"

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:25 AM
TrollololBoyle

I agree that passing is an issue (along with creativity as somebody said). It seems like they are always passing to the wrong players, like players near the boards with an opposing player right in front of them, forcing them to fight for the puck. They can't complete a flashy pass either.

Another thing that bugs me is when guys like Rozsival have the puck and they either pass it back to the person who originally passed it to them out of habit, or pass it to somebody who can't make a play and is forced to pass it back... I guess that is positioning, too. How are you supposed to make a play from the goal line when absolutely nobody is open, except the player who passed it to you?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Rangers44*

Dubinsky, Boyle, Callahan, Prust, etc. won't be so cheap next season.

Old
12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Dubinsky, Boyle, Callahan, Prust, etc. won't be so cheap next season.
Only three are the priority getting locked up. In my opinion, Boyle can be replaced.

It's hard finding guys like Prust. When the coaches praise his game, he's important. Prust won't get more than $1.5 mill.

Old
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Like, wow, we have a deep team, work hard, and is a mediocre team in a weak division. All this while our homegrown players are just entering their prime -- while still being cheap. We are at the same stage this year as Chicago was last year, our kids can play, but are still so cheap that we can surround them with older players that costs a lot.
The bolded is so off it negates any other points you might have attempted.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:44 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Only three are the priority getting locked up. In my opinion, Boyle can be replaced.

It's hard finding guys like Prust. When the coaches praise his game, he's important. Prust won't get more than $1.5 mill.
The coach has praised Boyle as well. Boyle could be emerging as scoring PF this team has wanted since Hugh Jessiman, plus he's fairly young and you want him replaced? you value a 4th line energy guy over a potential 2nd line PF?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
The coach has praised Boyle as well. Boyle could be emerging as scoring PF this team has wanted since Hugh Jessiman, plus he's fairly young and you want him replaced? you value a 4th line energy guy over a potential 2nd line PF?
Nah, he can be replaced. Didn't say I didn't want him.

What it all comes down to, is that the team has to re-sign it's priorities first. Dubinsky and Cally.

Boyle's not a 2nd line player. Prust gives the team more than Boyle, in my opinion.

Old
12-19-2010, 01:30 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i disagree...i think what prevents this team from being great are a few things that all weigh in equally.

1) we are VERY young...especially some of our better players. we once again have 2+ rookies on our team that play huge important minutes for us instead of being brought in as supplements.

2) our captain. he makes 7 million bucks a year and plays like a 1.5-2 million dollar a year player. your highest paid players need to perform like elite players. Drurys contract will continue to be a detriment to this team till he is gone. that extra 5 mil can go a long way towards fixing our holes.

3) lack of skill. we lack skill, period. we work hard, we get dirty goals, and it works really really well against teams that are either lazy, or also fairly unskilled. we outwork the lazy teams, we our skill the hardworking teams with no skill. but teams like the Flyers, that are BOTH hardworking AND skilled....those teams eat us alive. Penguins are the same way, as are the Red Wings, Blackhawks, etc. the elite teams are always both. skilled, and damn hard working. we're unquestionably one of the hardest working teams in the league. that is all thanks to our coach imho. but we are also unquestionably one of the least skilled teams in the league, and that is on our GM.

Bingo, its very hard to be a top team when your highest paid players dont play like it. I mean Gaborik, yes he scored some goals last year but the man is just way to fragile and that really prevents him from doing much of anything at all. Its very evident imo that he is avoiding any contact and really ir labouring with his shoulder.I like the guy and i give him credit for coming back to play before he probably should have but its the NHL and its very hard to get away with avoiding contact. Than there is Drury who is playing hard but he just isnt doing it, and sure having on the third line wouldint be the worst thing but not at that contract, maybe 1.5-2 (Max).

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Nah, he can be replaced. Didn't say I didn't want him.

What it all comes down to, is that the team has to re-sign it's priorities first. Dubinsky and Cally.

Boyle's not a 2nd line player. Prust gives the team more than Boyle, in my opinion.
Agree Prust, Cally, and Dubi are the main priorities up front as i think they have been the teams best forwards..Not that Boyle is playing bad by any means.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:

Boyle can be replaced? Try finding a huge forward that plays physical and gritty, kills penalties, scores goals, leads team in +/-, can play center, wing and defense

Old
12-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Boyle can be replaced? Try finding a huge forward that plays physical and gritty, kills penalties, scores goals, leads team in +/-, can play center, wing and defense
I'll be perfectly honest, I'm impressed only the fact that I'm surprised he's actually scoring some goals. He still doesn't use his size as much as I'd like to see.

I'm not saying he should be let go. This year could be a fluke.

Old
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
I'll be perfectly honest, I'm impressed only the fact that I'm surprised he's actually scoring some goals. He still doesn't use his size as much as I'd like to see.

I'm not saying he should be let go. This year could be a fluke.
Are you kidding? Boyle is tied for 10th in the league in hits with 97. He really is using the body.