HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Outdoor game in Florida/Cali?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2010, 02:28 PM
  #26
CC Chiefs*
 
CC Chiefs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh right, because parts of the country do not experience colder temperatures half the year due to a tilt in the earth's axis...
This is what is all about. You can't have pond hockey in 80 degree weather.


CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
  #27
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,774
vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkie View Post
We have winter down here, it's just kind of subtle and short compared to what you get in Chicago. Tonight's low is supposed to be a brisk 31F.
The thread is about an outdoor "winter classic" game to be held in Cali or Florida. What does playing hockey outdoors in 80 degree weather have to do with an event marketed by the league as a return to its cold weather roots?

That it not exactly akin to returning to the roots of the game. I really don't care much either way though, hence the use of the word "whatever" in my initial post, FYI.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
  #28
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The thread is about an outdoor "winter classic" game to be held in Cali or Florida. What does playing hockey outdoors in 80 degree weather have to do with an event marketed by the league as a return to its cold weather roots?

That it not exactly akin to returning to the roots of the game. I really don't care much either way though, hence the use of the word "whatever" in my initial post, FYI.
Winter classic is just that, it can be played anywhere. Now the Heritage classic should be a about the sport's roots.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:05 PM
  #29
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
I guess they did make it work at NFL Stadiums in '08 and '11. In '08 the last Bills' home game was Sun Dec 28 and there was a possibility of a home playoff game the following Sat Jan 3. This season, the Steelers' last home game is Thurs Dec 23, followed by a road game on Jan 2 and a potential home playoff game on Jan 9 - a significantly wider window than Buffalo had in the inaugural Winter Classic. Given how the League and NBC has built up the hype, a larger window is probably needed now (on the front end) than the first game.
Bills and a home playoff game? In what world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
They had a preseason game in Vegas with 100 degree temperatures during the day and 80 degree temperatures during the game at night, and that was using the technology of 20 years ago. Not only that, but from what I understand the ice was actually TOO cold and started to crack, so they had to warm it up a bit during the game!
Its not really the heat but the humidity that prevents the ice from freezing correctly in the warmer days of summer and during the playoffs. Because a freezing system can make anything cold but its harder to get the moisture out of the air.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
  #30
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
This is what is all about. You can't have pond hockey in 80 degree weather.

1. The NHL is over 90 years old. They've played indoors since the beginning.

2. If it's about pond hockey, why are there boards and glass?

3. Being outdoors is only half the appeal. A big crowd is the other.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
  #31
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What city? If they're gonna go out of town, might as well do Tahoe.
SJ-SF ~75 minutes by car

SJ-Tahoe 4+ hours by car (without any weather issues)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
  #32
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
SJ-SF ~75 minutes by car

SJ-Tahoe 4+ hours by car (without any weather issues)
Yeah, might as well make a vacation out of it where there's guaranteed snow instead of spending 2+ hours in the car just going to another city and back. Of course, the crowd would be much smaller than what we've seen in past games, but that's also the case in an awkwardly configured baseball stadium.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:32 PM
  #33
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
Do you think the non-traditional markets could draw 113,000+ as there was for the MSU vs U of M?
No. Why? Because no market (traditional or otherwise) has accomplished that for any NHL game. It hasn't happened in any Canadian city. It hasn't happened in any Original Six city. And there's doubts that it actually happened in MSU/UM.

Why do you repeatedly insist on setting standards higher for non-traditional markets than you do for traditional markets? (I know the answer - I just want to hear you say it).

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
  #34
CC Chiefs*
 
CC Chiefs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
No. Why? Because no market (traditional or otherwise) has accomplished that for any NHL game. It hasn't happened in any Canadian city. It hasn't happened in any Original Six city. And there's doubts that it actually happened in MSU/UM.

Why do you repeatedly insist on setting standards higher for non-traditional markets than you do for traditional markets? (I know the answer - I just want to hear you say it).
OKAY I'll rephrase it. Why not put the games were it's more LIKELY to be the most successful? Which game would be more $$$$ successful a SJS vs Anaheim in January at Candlestick park or Toronto vs Detroit at the Big House?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:44 PM
  #35
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
OKAY I'll rephrase it. Why not put the games were it's more LIKELY to be the most successful? Which game would be more $$$$ successful a SJS vs Anaheim in January at Candlestick park or Toronto vs Detroit at the Big House?
Novelty sporting events seem to do just fine in warm weather markets. I know that they don't "deserve" it as much as places where you have to plug in your car at night (the answer to my question which you won't answer), but there we have it.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
  #36
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
This is their only validation for living in miserable climates.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:50 PM
  #37
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is their only validation for living in miserable climates.
? Ok I'm lost which place has the miserable climates. The North? Where you have 4 seasons. Cold winter long nights, great for winter sports, Cool Autumn, Hot summers short nights long days, Warm springs.

Or the south where you have hot, followed by more hot, followed by hotter, followed by hot? All with more or less 12 hour days and 12 hour nights.

Change is the spice of life. I wouldn't trade the Canadian climate for any other in the world.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
  #38
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
The idea is to grow the game. Nothing less, nothing more. This game isn't about kissing all the ***** of people north of the Mason Dixie Line. A game outdoors in Los Angeles would draw just as many people/ratings/money as a game played in Pittsburgh (if not more). I love how this thread went from the viability of having ice in different location where NHL teams exist to the typical posters who chime in simply because they don't want teams playing in California, Arizona, Tennesee, Georgia, Florida, Carolina and Texas. That's their real argument and it has nothing to do with the actual content in the thread.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
  #39
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
I'll restate, I'm all for the U S playing the winter classic in the south. It's different it would be a novelty, I'd watch.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
  #40
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
The idea is to grow the game. Nothing less, nothing more. This game isn't about kissing all the ***** of people north of the Mason Dixie Line. A game outdoors in Los Angeles would draw just as many people/ratings/money as a game played in Pittsburgh (if not more). I love how this thread went from the viability of having ice in different location where NHL teams exist to the typical posters who chime in simply because they don't want teams playing in California, Arizona, Tennesee, Georgia, Florida, Carolina and Texas. That's their real argument and it has nothing to do with the actual content in the thread.
I can't believe you made a boo boo with the spelling of Tennessee.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
  #41
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I can't believe you made a boo boo with the spelling of Tennessee.
Yeah, typing out things on my blackberry on the Bolt browser is sometimes a journey but I can't access HF with the BB browser. Thanks for pointing that out for me. What would we do without the grammar police?


Last edited by Overkamp: 12-19-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
  #42
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Yeah, typing out things on my blackberry on the Bolt browser is sometimes a journey but I can't access HF with the BB browser. Thanks for pointing that out for me. What we do without the grammar police?
Just trying to bring some lightheartedness to a thread rift with controversy

Grammar? NOT -- spelling maybe

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
  #43
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
On a serious note. I think an outdoor game in any southern NHL city would be fantastic for the game. I'm sure the technology exists where there would no safety issues for the players and I agree, it'll help grow the game.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
  #44
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
On a serious note. I think an outdoor game in any southern NHL city would be fantastic for the game. I'm sure the technology exists where there would no safety issues for the players and I agree, it'll help grow the game.
I'd prefer to see the winter classic played in Non nhl cities. South or North makes no difference to me. A non NHL city would make for an awsome road trip for the hardcore fans and bring the game closer to the casual fans that can't attend a live game.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
  #45
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Just trying to bring some lightheartedness to a thread rift with controversy

Grammar? NOT -- spelling maybe
Sorry, I meant spelling police!! Apologies for being snappy. Back on topic. I was under the impression that starting next year the NHL was going to try and have two Winter Classic games? Or maybe one was the Heritage Classic and the other was the Winter Classic? If they had two games in the States then they could do one up north and one south/west. In reality, if you can get people hooked on the game then that's the only goal. Last year I was in the Virgin Islands (US) during the Can/US olympic game and I can tell you that minus a few Canadians in the bar, every single US citizen/person was living and dying with every hit, pass, shot, save etc.. I thought I was in some documentary about a Stanley Cup game or fans following their team in the World Series. These people weren't hockey fans before the game but almost every one of them were when the game was over. This NHL/game can get big but it requires thinking outside of the box.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
  #46
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
? Ok I'm lost which place has the miserable climates. The North? Where you have 4 seasons. Cold winter long nights, great for winter sports, Cool Autumn, Hot summers short nights long days, Warm springs.

Or the south where you have hot, followed by more hot, followed by hotter, followed by hot? All with more or less 12 hour days and 12 hour nights.

Change is the spice of life. I wouldn't trade the Canadian climate for any other in the world.
Lol, I WISH it was always hot down here. Sure would save me a lot of time chopping wood and huddling around the fireplace for warmth. (No heater in our house - poor college students)

Anyway, I'm not sure what the NHL thinks of retractable roof stadiums but the Marlins' new stadium would be perfect for a Winter Classic I think. They could simply close the roof if rain was a problem.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
  #47
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Sorry, I meant spelling police!! Apologies for being snappy. Back on topic. I was under the impression that starting next year the NHL was going to try and have two Winter Classic games? Or maybe one was the Heritage Classic and the other was the Winter Classic? If they had two games in the States then they could do one up north and one south/west. In reality, if you can get people hooked on the game then that's the only goal. Last year I was in the Virgin Islands (US) during the Can/US olympic game and I can tell you that minus a few Canadians in the bar, every single US citizen/person was living and dying with every hit, pass, shot, save etc.. I thought I was in some documentary about a Stanley Cup game or fans following their team in the World Series. These people weren't hockey fans before the game but almost every one of them were when the game was over. This NHL/game can get big but it requires thinking outside of the box.
Ahh Winter classic in the U S. Heritage classic in Canada....

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
  #48
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
If they plan to host the World Cup in 120F degree heat, with open-ar, air conditioned stadiums, I'm sure they could figure out a way to play a hockey game when it's 70F.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
  #49
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
If they plan to host the World Cup in 120F degree heat, with open-ar, air conditioned stadiums, I'm sure they could figure out a way to play a hockey game when it's 70F.
Its a bit different you can't compare soccer to hockey that way.One of the appeals of soccer is it can be played any where not matter the weather.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:27 PM
  #50
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
On a serious note. I think an outdoor game in any southern NHL city would be fantastic for the game. I'm sure the technology exists where there would no safety issues for the players and I agree, it'll help grow the game.
Will it help the game grow maybe the issue is the rain more then anything in florida etc.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.