HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks interested in TB's Kubina?

Old
12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Sharks interested in TB's Kubina?

sharkspage
#SJsharks San Jose Sharks scout Jason Rowe at TB@NYI on Friday, also at PHI@TB on Saturday night. Could be routine.

#SJsharks TB defense: Brett Clark(6G6A) Victor Hedman(2G10A) Randy Jones(1G9A) Pavel Kubina(1G8A) Mattias Ohlund(0G4A) Lundin (7A) Smaby (0)

#SJsharks Sharks previously tried to acquire Kubina in Feb 2008 - http://www.sharkspage.com/2008_02_01...81019435578804 - Clark, Jones and Ohlund have solid NHL track record

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:08 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Hot from the http://twitter.com/sharkspage

Quote:
Scratch TB tweets, old information. 2 minutes ago via web
Oh well...

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
He has a NTC and took less money to return to Tampa Bay in July, he also lives in St. Petersburg during the offseason. Nothing against the Sharks but I can't see him waiving to go to SJ, especially with how well the Lightning have played.

12-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Got Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
He has a NTC and took less money to return to Tampa Bay in July, he also lives in St. Petersburg during the offseason. Nothing against the Sharks but I can't see him waiving to go to SJ, especially with how well the Lightning have played.
It's a limited NTC though is it not? Do we know what the limitations are?

Got Mullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

I'd be more interested in Ohlund if the price is right

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I wouldn't mind adding an actual defensive d-man like Clark ... not to mention he can add a little to the score sheet

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

He refused to come to SJ twice already, why wouldn't he now?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:05 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
He refused to come to SJ twice already, why wouldn't he now?
+1. There are other reasons why I don't think Kubina is the answer. He is a good player but a non-fit for the needs of the Sharks. I also do not think that he will even entertain the idea of playing in SJ. If Boyle had any influence on his decision to come to SJ over the off-season, it was not apparent.

No on Ohlund. The Sharks don't need another slowster on the blueline.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
DW, don't get all A's/Beltre here. He doesn't want to come here. Hopefully its for Clark or Ohlund at a reasonable price.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
+1. There are other reasons why I don't think Kubina is the answer. He is a good player but a non-fit for the needs of the Sharks. I also do not think that he will even entertain the idea of playing in SJ. If Boyle had any influence on his decision to come to SJ over the off-season, it was not apparent.

No on Ohlund. The Sharks don't need another slowster on the blueline.
I have yet to see you agree with any rumored player coming to the Sharks as a fit. They either won't come here, don't fit, aren't available or aren't any good to begin with.

I think you posted like 5 people once that would be a fit, that might come here. Then DW would have to find the right assets to get them of which I bet you would think out of line.

I think in your world there is absolutely no-one that the Sharks "could get" that would "fit" at the "right price". MAYBE ONE OR TWO. But that puts the odds that we could actually get them nearly a million to one.

That tells me the Sharks are pretty dam well built to begin with.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

What's Kubina's deal? Is he a big bodied guy with a hard point shot or what?

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:43 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I have yet to see you agree with any rumored player coming to the Sharks as a fit. They either won't come here, don't fit, aren't available or aren't any good to begin with.

I think you posted like 5 people once that would be a fit, that might come here. Then DW would have to find the right assets to get them of which I bet you would think out of line.

I think in your world there is absolutely no-one that the Sharks "could get" that would "fit" at the "right price". MAYBE ONE OR TWO. But that puts the odds that we could actually get them nearly a million to one.

That tells me the Sharks are pretty dam well built to begin with.
The reason the pickings are so slim is that most of the "names" are older and were drafted in an era when skating was less of a priority, or they have lost a step from their respective heydays. I had several names at the outset of UFA, but they all went elsewhere.

I don't think the Sharks are well assembled in terms of a cup. Those thoughts apply to MANY other teams. I think they fall considerably short in footspeed and/or speed of play. The same is true for many other teams on just those issues. I do think the Sharks are still good enough to be solidly in the playoffs, but I think the time is drawing nigh when that will not be the case. And I don't think any amount of trading will help that. I don't think trading for the sake of trading is a good way to address the issues of the Sharks. My benchmark for an excellent GM is using scalpels and not meat cleavers with accurate diagnoses. Part of that is executing under the radar acquisitions where he is actually acquiring players who are extremely motivated when an acquisition is necessary. It is NOT necessarily getting the biggest name available.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I don't think we're good trading partners with TB.

I still think the teams we'd be the best fit to trade with are St. Louis and NJ.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I still think the teams we'd be the best fit to trade with are St. Louis and NJ.
New Jersey? Their needs are identical to ours.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:26 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
New Jersey? Their needs are identical to ours.
I think we'd make a good trading partner with NJ. They're pretty long in the tooth up there, especially up-front (aside from Parise and Zajac).

A player like Seto would be what they need, especially if they can move a player with a bit of a heavier cap hit like Zubrus in exchange. And if we could pry a defenseman like Tallinder or Greene who are good skaters, can log 20 minutes a night, and have some offensive abilities that would be a plus too.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
And if we could pry a defenseman like Tallinder or Greene who are good skaters, can log 20 minutes a night, and have some offensive abilities that would be a plus too.
That's the thing, we can't. They have terrible defense, just like us, and definitely would not be willing to move them.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
That's the thing, we can't. They have terrible defense, just like us, and definitely would not be willing to move them.
they're also done. They've got no shot with their team. At this point Lou has to realize that shedding cap space is the best thing he can do since they're so tight up against it.

Old
12-19-2010, 05:42 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
they're also done. They've got no shot with their team. At this point Lou has to realize that shedding cap space is the best thing he can do since they're so tight up against it.
Excellent point. The teams that will definitely be dealing between now and the deadline are the teams that are out of it. NJ and NYI lead the list. In the west, there is a good chance for StL., Edm., Miny, Calg. and Ana to be out of it although none of them are admitting it now. In the east, Tor., Fla. Buff. and Ott. may fall out as well. None of the aforementioned 4 in the east are admitting it now.

Old
12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

It pains my heart that the Devils will draft Larsson, and Boston will get another top-5 pick.

Old
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
I think we'd make a good trading partner with NJ. They're pretty long in the tooth up there, especially up-front (aside from Parise and Zajac).

A player like Seto would be what they need, especially if they can move a player with a bit of a heavier cap hit like Zubrus in exchange. And if we could pry a defenseman like Tallinder or Greene who are good skaters, can log 20 minutes a night, and have some offensive abilities that would be a plus too.
Trading Seto at all is a bad idea. But trading him to NJ is worse. None of the NJ defenseman really address what this team needs. Add to which, if Lou wants to clear cap space, then we should not be offering anything more than low-mid picks, and mid-range prospects at best. Lou is in a bad place, and you don't give up quality assets in return for another teams mediocre assets.

Green is a purely defensive guy. The Sharks have enough of that. Tallinder is putting up points in the Vlasic range, is 31 already, not that fast, and signed until he is 35. Volchenkov is also purely defensive, has an NTC, and I'd rather not pay a 1-way guy like $4.25 mil a year for 5 more seasons after this.

NJ just doesn't have a lot that the Sharks either don't already have, or who acquiring would only make it more difficult for the Sharks to field a team unless they are moving one of the big-4 contracts the other way. Which isn't happening.

IMO, out best best is still the Isles. Wiz and Nielsson are just about the best fit to meet the Sharks needs.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
lol3rdround

just train Couture to play D at the same time as forward, problem solved.

lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Trading Seto at all is a bad idea. But trading him to NJ is worse. None of the NJ defenseman really address what this team needs. Add to which, if Lou wants to clear cap space, then we should not be offering anything more than low-mid picks, and mid-range prospects at best. Lou is in a bad place, and you don't give up quality assets in return for another teams mediocre assets.

Green is a purely defensive guy. The Sharks have enough of that. Tallinder is putting up points in the Vlasic range, is 31 already, not that fast, and signed until he is 35. Volchenkov is also purely defensive, has an NTC, and I'd rather not pay a 1-way guy like $4.25 mil a year for 5 more seasons after this.

NJ just doesn't have a lot that the Sharks either don't already have, or who acquiring would only make it more difficult for the Sharks to field a team unless they are moving one of the big-4 contracts the other way. Which isn't happening.

IMO, out best best is still the Isles. Wiz and Nielsson are just about the best fit to meet the Sharks needs.
Yeah, I agree, I'd like Wiz in Teal, or perhaps McCabe from Florida. ...or work some deal to pry Buff from Atlanta!!

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
I don't think we're good trading partners with TB.

If there is a player we can defiantly use as a rental from NJ, its Langenbrunner. Thats pretty much the only player we would want from there.

Theres nothing I would want from STL except for EJ, and thats not likely to happen.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Fred Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Yeah, I agree, I'd like Wiz in Teal, or perhaps McCabe from Florida. ...or work some deal to pry Buff from Atlanta!!

Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 01:15 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Why in the world would the Thrashers trade Byfuglien? They were in first entering yesterday's games.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote