HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blue Jackets Looking At Del Zotto?

Old
12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
Of course they are looking at him.

I can watch Transformers and look at Megan Fox.

Thats pretty much all that means, in a nut shell.
Exactly.

Pure nonsense. Call me on it if it happens.

It won't.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
honestly if were going to trade away Del Zotto we better be getting someone who can put the puck in the net and Filatov clearly can not do that in this league. There are only 2 or 3 players who would make any sort of sense for MDZ and none of them will get traded this way for him alone.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
But it makes no sense. For Del Zotto, those are really the only players the Rangers would consider because it's

a. Stupid overpayment

and b. fills a need

We. Don't. Need. Filatov.
I like Dizzy as much as the next guy, but if you are getting a defenceman like Tyutin and a prospect like Filatov for JUST Dizzy, then it's a deal that should be considered.

MDZ has been taken off the PP, his decision making on the offensive end of the ice has been less than stellar. He still tries to force that long telegraphed breakout pass that continually misses its mark.

I like the kid, but Filatov's talent is somthing we do not have in the system. On tope of that you get the defenceman in Tyutin that provides the Rangers more than MDZ does today.

That is a solid package and one that HAS to be considered.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I like Dizzy as much as the next guy, but if you are getting a defenceman like Tyutin and a prospect like Filatov for JUST Dizzy, then it's a deal that should be considered.

MDZ has been taken off the PP, his decision making on the offensive end of the ice has been less than stellar. He still tries to force that long telegraphed breakout pass that continually misses its mark.

I like the kid, but Filatov's talent is somthing we do not have in the system. On tope of that you get the defenceman in Tyutin that provides the Rangers more than MDZ does today.

It's way too early to just give up on MDZ at this point. He's going through a sophmore slump this year, he's still only 20 years old and he has shown he can play at this level.

Tyutin is a nice player, but we would be sorely lacking a PP QB in the future. We had the chance to take Cam Fowler, but it didn't happen. I think it just shows how much faith management has in MDZ.

And yes, Filatov is very talented, but all he has shown so far is that he can't get along with coaches and he has put up limited numbers at the NHL level.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

would russell and filatov for MDZ be more fair for the rangers?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
It's way too early to just give up on MDZ at this point. He's going through a sophmore slump this year, he's still only 20 years old and he has shown he can play at this level.

Tyutin is a nice player, but we would be sorely lacking a PP QB in the future. We had the chance to take Cam Fowler, but it didn't happen. I think it just shows how much faith management has in MDZ.

And yes, Filatov is very talented, but all he has shown so far is that he can't get along with coaches and he has put up limited numbers at the NHL level.
i agree completely. in fact, i know of a defenseman who looked slightly worse his second year http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471242

Old
12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
would russell and filatov for MDZ be more fair for the rangers?
Honestly, I'd be more interested in Tyutin then Russell.

MDZ is simply not someone the Rangers can afford to trade.

Old
12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
smoneil

Quote:

It's a mediocre package. You have two players from the 2008 draft. One, MDZ, has already shown himself to be an NHL player. The other, Filatov, has only put up 6 goals and 13 points in 44 games. He's also bounced back and forth between the NHL and Russia, and possibly has attitude problems. Tyutin, as much as I like the guy, isn't worth the difference between Filatov and MDZ.

As for Del Zotto's struggles this season, some of you guys have REALLY short memories. Remember a year ago, when Marc Staal was working on being more of a 2-way defender? He was making poor decisions, and his defense (ie- his bread and butter) suffered for it. Rangers fans were up in arms. A few months into the season, he started to figure it out, and now he's back to playing top shut-down defense, while also on pace to put up 35 points (another career high).

Del Zotto was a mess defensively last season. This year, he was told to work on being a more balanced defender. His offense (ie- his bread and butter) has suffered for it. That said, defensively, he's been playing a regular shift on the 2nd pair, while taking shifts on the PP and the PK in most games (as opposed to last season, when his minutes were protected). Despite this increased defensive responsibility, he's a +/- EVEN through 34 games. Last year, over the same stretch of the season, he was a -12. He still has his good games and his bad games, but defensively, he is MUCH improved.

Del Zotto is 20 years old. He, like Staal before him, is working on finding the right balance between being on the attack and being defensively responsible. Rather than deal with a few months of growing pains as he figures it out, it seems some Rangers fans want to trade him away for a good 3rd pairing defenseman and an enigmatic prospect who is as likely to bust out of the NHL as he is to be a star.

I know it's not the NY way, but BE PATIENT. It worked with Staal. It worked with Dubinsky. Let's let it work with Del Zotto, so that when he DOES figure out the right balance, he gets to show it off in a Rangers jersey.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:

This.

I was begining to wonder if there was anyone out there in Ranger land without blue-tinted glasses. Tyutin would solidify our D and Filatov could grow into a scoring top six forward. Remember, Filatov is also a kid.

I've not been as impressed with MDZ although I agree that his potential is sky high. I'd do Tyutin/Filatov - MDZ in a NY minute. We're not talking Green here, not even Carlson.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 12-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
This. I was begining to wonder if there was anyone out there in Ranger land without blue-tinted glasses. Tyutin would solidify our D and Filatov could grow into the slick top siz forward. Remember, he's also a kid.

I've not been as impressed with MDZ although I agree that his potential is sky high. I'd do Tyutin/Filatov - MDZ in a NY minute. We're not talking Green here, not even Carlson.
haha read two posts up. Green broke out in his third year

Old
12-19-2010, 02:53 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
This. I was begining to wonder if there was anyone out there in Ranger land without blue-tinted glasses. Tyutin would solidify our D and Filatov could grow into the slick top siz forward. Remember, he's also a kid.

You are aware of how much Filatov has struggled right? Nevermind if he can turn it around, where does he fit on the team right now? There is no spot for him. As much as MDZ has struggled, he does have a spot on the team, both now and in the future (considering he's our only PP QB in the system)

I don't know about you, but I'm happy that the Rangers are moving away from enigmatic kids with character issues. Filatov just sounds like bad news. At least MDZ has shown he can play at the NHL level, something Filatov has yet to do.

Old
12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
You are aware of how much Filatov has struggled right? Nevermind if he can turn it around, where does he fit on the team right now? There is no spot for him. As much as MDZ has struggled, he does have a spot on the team, both now and in the future (considering he's our only PP QB in the system)

I don't know about you, but I'm happy that the Rangers are moving away from enigmatic kids with character issues. Filatov just sounds like bad news. At least MDZ has shown he can play at the NHL level, something Filatov has yet to do.

Exactly. Two interesting things to also keep in mind.

1- Filatov has 13 points in 44 career games. In a season where Del Zotto, a defenseman, is struggling, he's on pace to have more than 13 points over the first 44 games of the season.

2- If the Rangers were to acquire Filatov, he'd be competing with Dubinsky, Avery, and eventually Kreider, MZA and Grachev for a spot on a top 6 LW. If the Rangers were to lose Del Zotto, he would be replaced by...Gilroy...as the team's primary PMD. Moving a player from a position of organizational weakness to address a position of organizational strength is stupid even IF the incoming player had proven himself (which Filatov certainly has not).

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:58 PM
gotmonte

I havent read the responses to the original Poster/Thread. So bare with me:

Why would the Rangers trade MDZ for ANYONE is beyond belief. If Sather Traded him for another known commodity, the Greedy Sather wouldnt be able to say he Drafted him like he loves to say lately on all rangers prospects.
MDZ is having an OK season. He makes mistakes like ALL OF US HAVE at a big job when we were new to it. ****, I made lots of mistakes when i became a Correction officer at Rikers. Hell I made A LOT of mistakes there lol! Pressure is something we get used to. Most arent born with the cold iron stare of a Messier or a Iron Stomach like Gretzky had. We LEARN how to obtain these. And I think MDZ will get there.

I love the Youth Movement and I for ONE would like to see the kids kept and see what we can have for the future. I am tired of trading for stars. Lets just GROW our own. Rangers fan sometimes confuse me (I am one myself for a VERY long time now). We want to draft great. We love when we get a person with the 15th pick and have them develop ONLY to want to trade them away for another young kid with some upside. Lets develop our own and create an upside for the kid. Let them flourish in our system. Our system has been pretty damn good as of the last few years now. And I am really looking forward to seeing kids like Weise, Grachev, Thomas, ect ect move up the latters and really show what they got! I wish Cheraponov didnt pass away. For obvious reasons. He had a lot fo talent and we were really gonna be a good team with him one day. God bless him and his family and loved ones. 19 years old is too young to pass. And the kid had a terrific future ahead of him to boot. Back on track now, lets leave our kids alone. Stepan, Kreider, MDZ, Anisomov, Dubinski ect ect. We are looking GOOD.

I am happy other teams are HIGH ON OUR YOUNG KIDS. But under no circumstance do we trade them away. What does that tell our other kids who WANT to be with the Rangers. "You play well enough, we will trade you away to some crappy mid-coast team and get draft picks and other good young players for you". What a hell of a message that sends eh?

Again I didnt read the responses on here. Maybe everyone echoes my sentiment. But for those who want to trade the kids away, just take a look back 7-10 years ago when our system had NO ONE in it. Except for Jessiman, Brendl, Lundmark, cherneski ect ect. We screamed our youth sucked and to start to draft AND keep the kids instead of trading them away for proven older players. Well, we are in that position now. Do you want to regress or progress? I say Progress. Those players I mentioned, Where are they now? How did they pan out for us?

And for Tyutin? Are you serious? Been there done that. Lets stay the course. We might as well trade for Mottau and Ndur while we are at it!?!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

sophmore slump for MDZ. No reason we'd trade him for anything other than in a package for Nash (no way in hell that's happening) or for Voracek which CLB fans won't want to do. for Ranger fans, it really doesn't solve anything. We are better off developing his game and being patient for him to get better. Unless I was wrong assuming Nash wasn't available.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:15 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

MDZ for brassard and tyutin would be something i think about, but i highly doubt jackets would do it. i probably wouldn't do it from this side.

personally i rather just stick with MDZ and let him work through his struggles.

ranger fans were hollering for a youth movement for years and then when the youth is here (and inevitably going through some learning curves) they are looking to move them.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Exactly. Two interesting things to also keep in mind.

1- Filatov has 13 points in 44 career games. In a season where Del Zotto, a defenseman, is struggling, he's on pace to have more than 13 points over the first 44 games of the season.

2- If the Rangers were to acquire Filatov, he'd be competing with Dubinsky, Avery, and eventually Kreider, MZA and Grachev for a spot on a top 6 LW. If the Rangers were to lose Del Zotto, he would be replaced by...Gilroy...as the team's primary PMD. Moving a player from a position of organizational weakness to address a position of organizational strength is stupid even IF the incoming player had proven himself (which Filatov certainly has not).
Great post. I can't believe people are saying they'd take Filatov as a main piece in an MDZ trade. Seriously think about that for a minute. I hope none of you went to the fire Sather rally because thats a move so stupid and shortsighted I'm not even sure he'd make it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
AnAirplaneOverTheSea*

What would Columbus offer that would motivate the Rangers to move MDZ? You know the asking price will be high, it's not like the Rangers are flooded in talented, young, affordable, puck moving defensemen. Not a lot of teams are. Filatov won't get it done. Blue Jackets won't offer Nash... there's really not a package of players that would do the trick either because if you trade the best player, no matter how many players you get in return, you lose the trade. That's how it works in hockey for as long as I can remember... The team that ends up with the best player wins the trade. As there are no equally young and talented players that CBJ's would part with (that I'm aware of) for MDZ then this is pretty much a moot point and really idle speculation on behalf of some media guy somewhere.... IMO.

AnAirplaneOverTheSea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAirplaneOverTheSea View Post
What would Columbus offer that would motivate the Rangers to move MDZ? You know the asking price will be high, it's not like the Rangers are flooded in talented, young, affordable, puck moving defensemen. Not a lot of teams are. Filatov won't get it done. Blue Jackets won't offer Nash... there's really not a package of players that would do the trick either because if you trade the best player, no matter how many players you get in return, you lose the trade. That's how it works in hockey for as long as I can remember... The team that ends up with the best player wins the trade. As there are no equally young and talented players that CBJ's would part with (that I'm aware of) for MDZ then this is pretty much a moot point and really idle speculation on behalf of some media guy somewhere.... IMO.
Just remember this. The team wins the trade FROM THE FANS PERSPECTIVE. Not the Gm's. Who the hell knows who won the trade in the Gm's thought process. And to be brutally honest, thats all that matters. We have NO say in trade talks/trades being completed. You know it. I know it. It kinda sucks but in a way its good. Look at all the maniacle fans in here saying filatov and tyutin for MDZ. LOL. Imagine they had a hand in the trades. LOL!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I would cry if we traded DZ for Tyutin and Filatov. He's our only PMD in the entire organization. IF we did trade him, Voracek or Nash are the only pieces I think I would trade him for.

Don't forget you have Fowler in your system

oh wait

Thats pretty lame coming from a leaf fan eh....with no 1st rd pick again

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:56 PM
wahsnairb

i don't love del zotto, but this is stupidly in the jackets favor the way tyutin and filatov are playing here so of course we'd run and point and laugh.

jackets win short term and long term is probably a wash with the potential that dz and filatov have.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I take all rumors with a massive grain of salt, and I do not condone this is any way, but maybe...

They want Filatov to replace Dubinsky who's shipping out to get Richards.

Tinfoil hats on sale. I'd be pretty damn upset to lose thedubez™ and MDZ, even if Richards somehow ended up with us. And please don't answer this with a huge paragraph of seriouzbizness when clearly I'm just having fun. Mmmk?

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

ok, lets just wrap up everything...

Tyutin, Hedja, Filatov, a pick

for

MDZ and Roszi

ok only slightly

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Del Zotto is staying...

Tyutin could be had for much less.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:43 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aittokallio View Post
I came in here to say Filatov and I'm happy I'm not the only one...

... it'd be a great trade for both teams/players
why? becasue nyr handles russian head cases so well like zherdev and frolov?

token grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

in what F'd up world is Filatov for Del Zotto a good deal?

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote