HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Anderson praises Pierre Groulx

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2010, 01:41 PM
  #1
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Craig Anderson praises Pierre Groulx

Craig Anderson praises Pierre Groulx Cyberpresse - in French

Little article about Pierre Groulx. Doesn't say much but the gist of it is that Groulx is described as a confidence builder by Craig Anderson, a guy who works for you and doesn't necessarily change everything in your technique, works a lot on confidence and attitude, tries to make sure the goalie keeps the fun of playing present during his work. Anderson refers to him as a partner and psychologist rather than a coach or teacher.

For the rest, Google is your friend.

Thought it was nice to finally hear about a guy nobody knows much about, but his success with both Halak last year and Price now merits praise and recognition IMO.


Last edited by Munchausen: 12-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
  #2
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Most goalies already have good technique anyways*...

And Brodeur doesn't exactly play textbook butterfly style anyways.



Being a goalie is 98% between the ears.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
  #3
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
I hated the hiring when it happened. Obviously I was wrong.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:37 PM
  #4
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
well isnt that what price needed?

someone NOT to change his style?
just to build his confidence and guide him...

melanson was ruining him

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
  #5
Bob in Niagara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
well isnt that what price needed?

someone NOT to change his style?
just to build his confidence and guide him...

melanson was ruining him
Exactly!!! Melanson was terrible for Price.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:25 PM
  #6
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
I hated the hiring when it happened. Obviously I was wrong.
At least you're admitting you were wrong. I don't get how people can pass judgement so quickly, especially in sports.

Shutdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
  #7
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
Exactly!!! Melanson was terrible for Price.
Melanson thinks that the butterfly style works all the time. Which it doesn't. In the start the goalies start having great numbers yeah, but then the opposing players find out then goalies holes and voila.... He's getting scored on 4-5 times a night.

Look at Theo and Huet as HUGE examples.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:13 AM
  #8
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Melanson thinks that the butterfly style works all the time. Which it doesn't. In the start the goalies start having great numbers yeah, but then the opposing players find out then goalies holes and voila.... He's getting scored on 4-5 times a night.

Look at Theo and Huet as HUGE examples.
I remember when Melancon was fired, then hired by the Nucks - the whole french sports media (CKAC and RDS) was outraged, calling it the biggest mistake ever.

Luongo is not doing that well is he ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
  #9
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I remember when Melancon was fired, then hired by the Nucks - the whole french sports media (CKAC and RDS) was outraged, calling it the biggest mistake ever.

Luongo is not doing that well is he ?
The outrage was even worst when TO hired Allaire

Martin knows what he's doing. Maybe some fans should start putting a little more faith in him.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:24 AM
  #10
MrExpos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I remember when Melancon was fired, then hired by the Nucks - the whole french sports media (CKAC and RDS) was outraged, calling it the biggest mistake ever.

Luongo is not doing that well is he ?
What? Have you watched any Canucks game lately?

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
  #11
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Melanson thinks that the butterfly style works all the time. Which it doesn't. In the start the goalies start having great numbers yeah, but then the opposing players find out then goalies holes and voila.... He's getting scored on 4-5 times a night.

Look at Theo and Huet as HUGE examples.
I always thought Roland Melanson was great at turning average golatenders into overnight stars by having mastered perfectly one generic way of approaching the game for goaltenders, but it felt like he was a bit too rigid in his approach, not adapting enough to what the goaltenders already had in their toolbox. I didn't like the fact Price was turning into a full time butterfly, always down on every shot, when he had this ability to stay up longer and challenge, and the size to play that game. I wouldn't say Melanson completely screwed up Price's game and I'm sure Price kept some improvements he brought to his game, but at a position where most of it is mental, I find it key that the goalie himself ultimately decides what works for him technique wise.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
  #12
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
What? Have you watched any Canucks game lately?
He isn't playing like he used to, except for short spurts.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:04 AM
  #13
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
What? Have you watched any Canucks game lately?
What? Have you watch any Canucks game outside of the past few games?

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
  #14
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I always thought Roland Melanson was great at turning average golatenders into overnight stars by having mastered perfectly one generic way of approaching the game for goaltenders, but it felt like he was a bit too rigid in his approach, not adapting enough to what the goaltenders already had in their toolbox. I didn't like the fact Price was turning into a full time butterfly, always down on every shot, when he had this ability to stay up longer and challenge, and the size to play that game. I wouldn't say Melanson completely screwed up Price's game and I'm sure Price kept some improvements he brought to his game, but at a position where most of it is mental, I find it key that the goalie himself ultimately decides what works for him technique wise.

We cant go too in depth about melanson's teachings because most of what we think we know is just pure speculation.

What we do know about melanson is that he likes his goalies to play deeper in the crease. This is an adjustment that luongo is trying to make since melanson took over. Personally, I like seeing Price come out of the blue paint and if he gets in trouble, then he can use his fabulous athleticism.

Anyways, shooters adjust to goalies, so goalies need to adjust to shooters too. Its good to mix things up and if that means you need a fresh outlook with a new coach, then so be it. It doesn't make melanson bad at his job

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:01 PM
  #15
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
We cant go too in depth about melanson's teachings because most of what we think we know is just pure speculation.

What we do know about melanson is that he likes his goalies to play deeper in the crease. This is an adjustment that luongo is trying to make since melanson took over. Personally, I like seeing Price come out of the blue paint and if he gets in trouble, then he can use his fabulous athleticism.

Anyways, shooters adjust to goalies, so goalies need to adjust to shooters too. Its good to mix things up and if that means you need a fresh outlook with a new coach, then so be it. It doesn't make melanson bad at his job
Of course it doesn't, the man's got credentials. But I'm of the opinion a guy like Price needed something else. This is based on what we've learned of Melanson's philosophy over the years, so of course this is just an opinion based on impressions.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.