HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NYI/CGY] Alex Tanguay for Aaron Ness

Old
12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
This really doesn't work for either team.

1) The Flames are going to want more then Ness for Tanguay.

2) Tanguay is not going to waive his NTC.

3) The Isles are not in a position to a "rent" a player.

4) The Isles are not going to want to move any prospects or picks.

5) Tanguay is not the right fit for the Isles.

The Isles need a winger for sure. But my guess is they want someone who is signed to a longer term 2-3 seasons at least. I also think they want a winger who is a bit younger. The guy who seems to fit the mold the best is Dustin Penner. Now I know that the Isles would never be able to land him without making a significant offer to the Oilers but I am simply stating the player the Isles need is a guy like that. Proven ability and skill, some size, locked into a deal for several more years.

Yes the Isles need vets but they need to be careful to make sure it is the right vet.
while I agree with almost every point you make... you make Tanguay sound old when in reality he is only 30

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Devs4life

confused to why the dead-last team in the whole league trades any prospect for any impending ufa

Devs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
HyeDray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
while I agree with almost every point you make... you make Tanguay sound old when in reality he is only 30
Sorry...that is not it....

I just dont think Tanguay is the answer for the Isles.

Tanguay seems to thrive on Western Conference teams — like the Avalanche and Flames. He did not do as well in Montreal or Tampa. Perhaps there is a certain comfort level he feels on the Flames. He seems to be performing well this year — great for him. All the more reason I think he would slip if he came to the Islanders.

Plus — and most important — even if he did play well for the Islanders — he would not resign here next year — which means we gave up a prospect who could be a descent player for a 3 month rental — and we still finish in the bottom 2-3 at best. Totally not worth it for the Islanders.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs4life View Post
confused to why the dead-last team in the whole league trades any prospect for any impending ufa
Because each prospect has diminishing value. The Isles don't need an undersized puck-moving D prospect. They've got one (de Haan) that's far superior. As it is, the Isles are undersized on D.

Also, obviously, the Isles need veteran help for the sake of their young players' confidence.

No idea why any team would pay for a prospect like Ness, or deal an impending UFA like Tanguay before the market develops at the deadline.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
blankall

Quote:
This really doesn't work for either team.

2) Tanguay is not going to waive his NTC.

I think he will for a deadline deal. If it becomes apparent that the Flames are out of the playoff picture at the deadline, it makes sense to do trade and then resign with Calgary in the offseason. It would be a pretty large blow to the organization otherwise. If Tanguay's play holds up, he will be a near PPG player signed at a very low contract. There won't be many of those to go around.

I understand Tanguay's issues with his family. Realistically, the trade and resign would allow his family to stay in Calgary and he would only be gone for a couple of months. I would expect Tanguay to deal with that in exchange for a chance at a playoff run.

Tanguay already has one cup, but I'm guessing he wants another.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
damesh

I thought Ness was 'untouchable'.

damesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Sorry...that is not it....

I just dont think Tanguay is the answer for the Isles.

Tanguay seems to thrive on Western Conference teams like the Avalanche and Flames. He did not do as well in Montreal or Tampa. Perhaps there is a certain comfort level he feels on the Flames. He seems to be performing well this year great for him. All the more reason I think he would slip if he came to the Islanders.

Plus and most important even if he did play well for the Islanders he would not resign here next year which means we gave up a prospect who could be a descent player for a 3 month rental and we still finish in the bottom 2-3 at best. Totally not worth it for the Islanders.
the only issue Tanguay had in Montreal was a serious shoulder injury... sure he only had 16 goals and 41 points that year... but people like to ignore the fact he only played 50 games and did slow down after the injury

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the only issue Tanguay had in Montreal was a serious shoulder injury... sure he only had 16 goals and 41 points that year... but people like to ignore the fact he only played 50 games and did slow down after the injury
Exactly. Tanguay's season in Montreal was better than his previous season where he was forced into a checking role in Calgary.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by damesh View Post
I thought Ness was 'untouchable'.

If there were a caste system for prospects, he would be.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote