HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Luongo Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
donutz0r

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree there, I don't feel Luongo's game was up to snuff early on. I'm happy he's playing better now and hope it continues.
This is probably one of the few times when I agree with you

Luongo wasn't terrible in the beginning of the season, but he was definitely below-average compared to what he's normally capable of. Thankfully, his play has significantly improved and hopefully it will continue for the remainder of the season.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
opendoor

I think the team's inconsistent scoring magnified Luongo's average play in October. He wasn't fantastic, but how many wins can you really expect when the team was only scoring 2.00 G/G in front of him in the month of October?

Ultimately, the .907 SV% he sported in October was the 2nd best for that month in his 5 years as a Canuck, so I don't buy the notion that he was doing anything unusual. Sure he could have been better, but the Canucks as a whole weren't playing particularly well and they had to deal with injuries to Hamhuis and Ballard and Bieksa looking downright awful. Once the the team's defensive game got settled Luongo started looking better and better.

It's a long season and we're just over 1/3rd the way through it. On November 1st Kesler was on pace for 36 points and people were freaking out. But his play improved and now he's on pace for double that while people are calling him the team's MVP. The same thing has happened to Luongo's numbers so far. They weren't great to start the season but they're improving. Not to mention that goaltending numbers even at this juncture of the season are still so volatile that it's kind of pointless to draw hard conclusions from them.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutz0r View Post
This is probably one of the few times when I agree with you

Luongo wasn't terrible in the beginning of the season, but he was definitely below-average compared to what he's normally capable of. Thankfully, his play has significantly improved and hopefully it will continue for the remainder of the season.
Then you should enjoy this rare occasion where you are right.

Anyhow, people can attribute the team's struggles to the lack of offense or injuries or whatever. Luongo, IMO, wasn't playing well and you just had to watch to tell he wasn't comfortable. Maybe it was a lingering groin injury, maybe it was adjusting to the new style Melanson was trying to implement, maybe it was just typical "October Luongo" that carried over into November a bit but his lateral movement was very sketchy and he didn't look solid. He does now and I'm happy about it...hope it lasts deep, deep into the playoffs. I'm not a Luongo hater by any stretch, but just because I don't cut him a lot of slack (which I don't feel I need to) I get branded as such. Oh well.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:29 PM
opendoor

Quote:

Anyhow, people can attribute the team's struggles to the lack of offense or injuries or whatever. Luongo, IMO, wasn't playing well and you just had to watch to tell he wasn't comfortable. Maybe it was a lingering groin injury, maybe it was adjusting to the new style Melanson was trying to implement, maybe it was just typical "October Luongo" that carried over into November a bit but his lateral movement was very sketchy and he didn't look solid. He does now and I'm happy about it...hope it lasts deep, deep into the playoffs. I'm not a Luongo hater by any stretch, but just because I don't cut him a lot of slack (which I don't feel I need to) I get branded as such. Oh well.
I noticed that as well, but I thought it was mostly contained to a few specific games (Minnesota most notably). So I'm more inclined to chalk it up to a few bad games, rather than a consistently bad stretch. Right alongside his poorer October efforts, he still played some great games and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that he stole the team some points in October when they weren't looking great at all. The first 2 games of the season vs. LA and Florida and the shootout loss to Chicago were all fantastic performances by him (2 of which were overshadowed in some peoples' minds by his poor shootouts).

Old
12-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Proto

Luongo suffered a groin injury in the pre-season and his lateral movement suffered. Everyone panicked and assumed it was because he was too old, when in reality he probably was still recovering from his injury-shortened pre-season and adjusting to a new style he wasn't able to employ during that pre-season.

Also, I thought he looked decent in October -- not great, but passable. The team simply wasn't playing very well around him. I remember a pretty long stretch of games where the only reason the Canucks were able to win the games they did win was because Daniel Sedin was scoring a lot of goals and the third line had about a five-game stretch of excellence.

Hopefully Luongo shows up big time for the money game tomorrow. These kind of games are usually his bread and butter. Same with Kesler.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:41 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
Bah, I should have seen this coming

Old
12-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Bah, I should have seen this coming
LOL...I'll be nice, I'm in Dallas too...you might hunt me down.

Old
12-22-2010, 02:00 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
LOL...I'll be nice, I'm in Dallas too...you might hunt me down.
Yes, I'm in the mean streets of Frisco, sometimes West Plano. Beware

Old
12-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Yes, I'm in the mean streets of Frisco, sometimes West Plano. Beware
LOL...I'm in Frisco, closer to Little Elm.

Old
12-22-2010, 02:23 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
LOL...I'm in Frisco, closer to Little Elm.
Eldorado and Preston is where I am. Wtf, how close are you?

Old
12-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Wetcoaster

Luongo is playing well lately. Luongo has won nine of his last 10 starts while posting a 1.69 goals-against average.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz18p6RWP4B

Old
12-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Eldorado and Preston is where I am. Wtf, how close are you?
LOL...not too far, I'm off Eldorado and Teel. Do you play hockey at the Stars center? I'll be signed up next season...couldn't get in this year.

Sorry to de-rail....Luongo is awesome.

Old
12-22-2010, 02:32 AM
donutz0r

I agree, Luongo is awesome, etc etc. I'll PM you.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Amused To Death

Quote:
I agree, Luongo is awesome, etc etc. I'll PM you.
And they both lived happily ever after...

Anyways, I'm more of the passionate/ridiculous Canuck fan type, and even I've been less outraged lately at Luongo's play. He's been okay at the worst of times this season and pretty consistent. Most of my disillusion with his play is just from the contract and the terrifying idea of being locked in for 12 years with a "Joe Thornton" type goalie, and it probably won't go away unless we win it all.

Lou's been noticeably outstanding in his past 10 though, I've kind of had the confidence for the save on the 2-on-1's that I had way back when.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:36 AM
drivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Just for the sake of reference, since I've seen it suggested on the Province chats, on CDC, and even occasionally in here: these are what the cap penalties would be if Luongo was bought out at the next available opportunity (in June.) ...
Do those penalties still hit if he is shipped to Switzerland ala Christobal Huet? I am NOT advocating that. Just curious if it is an option and how the Hawks got away with it.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
The top 3 in this key goalie stat (Thomas, Pavelec, Price) all face more shots per game than Luongo and yet make far less than he does.

Not really, the stats you list are team stats as much as they are goalie stats, for the reasons noted. His Sv% is the key one.
After Price gave up 5 goals on 17 shots against Dallas, his save % came crashing back down to .925 and is currently in free fall from about .938, where it was before the Habs recent struggles. Another couple weeks of bad play from Price and I guess it will completely invalidate his great first 10 weeks of the season. Ouch!

Old
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
He's the highest paid player in the league with a 12 year contract that's played at a mediocre level for two seasons now and he's had dreadful playoff meltdowns. The criticism of Luongo is more than justified. BTW, I watch all the goalies and follow their stats. Maybe you should try that.

Elite? based on what, exactly, besides wishful thinking of course.
He is not highest paid...salary cap hit is how he is paid....only measure...and his is not highest....

Elite is based upon a career of work that stands up quite nicely including overall playoff stats. EVERY goalie has bad stretches and games. Brodeur has been having a tough year but is a lock for HHOF. In Gold Medal game last year, as one example, he outplayed Miller. He made the saves in OT and I can only imagine if he let in a soft goal like Miller did with Crosby.

No wishful thinking. I am not even all that worried one way or another how your team does. I do know that I would take him in any list of top five goalies in the world and you can populate your list with someone hot for a week or a month. Over the long term (e.g. career), I will be just fine thank you.

Mod Edit: Deleted

Last edited by Timmy: 12-22-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Not necessary
Old
12-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivier View Post
Do those penalties still hit if he is shipped to Switzerland ala Christobal Huet? I am NOT advocating that. Just curious if it is an option and how the Hawks got away with it.
No, that's just like sending him to the AHL.

Old
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
No, that's just like sending him to the AHL.
Only better -- because you don't have to pay all his salary. Sometimes the European club team will part part of all of the contract. Some might see it as a loophole, but I like that it's an option. For a guy like Huet it's a lot better for his life/career than forcing him to get Reddened.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:35 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

It's official: Luongo is DONE

Old
12-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Lunogo just sucks!

Old
12-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Burr14

What used to be our biggest strength is now our biggest weakness

Goaltending is the biggest question mark for this team now. I don't trust Luongo in big games. He lets in too many bad goals and then collapses mentally.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Nice to see completely original and fresh topics for discussion here on HF.

Old
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

Second best goalie on the ice again

Old
Falconator

Better goaltending tonight and we win this game! So frustrating!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread