HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Has BOB rubbed off on Boosh ?

Old
12-16-2010, 01:19 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Has BOB rubbed off on Boosh ?

I do not know if anyone has noticed, but Boosh has looked much quicker post to post during his nice run.He looks very sharp, confident, and you cannot help but really admire the way he has accepted his role and forges ahead with a team mentality.I know that BOB has surely learned a lot from Boosh and has gotten good advice from him about other teams, players, playing the puck behind the net etc, but it seems to me that Bob has rubbed off on Boosh in a good way as well.Sometimes competition brings out the best in people, and it seems to apply here very well.It will be very interesting to see how Mike Leighton being back will mix with the Bob and Boosh show.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:23 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I do not know if anyone has noticed, but Boosh has looked much quicker post to post during his nice run.He looks very sharp, confident, and you cannot help but really admire the way he has accepted his role and forges ahead with a team mentality.I know that BOB has surely learned a lot from Boosh and has gotten good advice from him about other teams, players, playing the puck behind the net etc, but it seems to me that Bob has rubbed off on Boosh in a good way as well.Sometimes competition brings out the best in people, and it seems to apply here very well.It will be very interesting to see how Mike Leighton being back will mix with the Bob and Boosh show.
Hopefully Bob rubs off on Leighton, too. In the sense that Leighton gets inspired to go play in the KHL.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Boucher has had ridiculous hot streaks even better than what we're seeing now tons of tines throughout his career. Obviously competition makes everyone work harder but Boucher has never been a clear #1 starter so he's always had to compete for playing time. Boucher had times last year where he played this well, it's nothing new. His problem has always been cosistancy.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think having 3 goalies and the thought of getting waived has lit a fire in him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
dookie88

Athletic abilities don't rub off.
He's just hot right now.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hes like Hansel

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
ugiswrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Hopefully Bob rubs off on Leighton, too. In the sense that Leighton gets inspired to go play in the KHL.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:48 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If you had to choose between Leighton or Boosh, I'd choose Boosh.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
MrHockey1982

If you're going to argue anything like this, I think the most credit has to go to Jeff Reese. Has done a tremendous job with all of our goalies.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
If you had to choose between Leighton or Boosh, I'd choose Boosh.
If I had to choose between the two I would flip a coin. They both have their ups and downs. Leighton was solid from start to finish with the Flyers last season. Boosh was great at times, and looked like he had no idea how to play goal in a men's rec ball hockey league at other times. If either of them gets waived, someone will likely grab them, but at this point with Leighton fighting an injury and Boosh being Boosh, it really doesn't matter to me. If Leighton is healthy and they waive Boosh, I'm not too worried. If Leighton gets waived, so long. I was a Leighton supporter from early on, but with Bob in net, it would appear that the only thing that matters is who is #2.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
We have already seen what Boosh can do this season.

Hommer just wants to see what Leighton can do. Forget about his good run in the post season. Let us see if he can return to form.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
kicksave27

Boosh is statistically the streakiest goalie in league history. He has the league record shutout streak, then gives up an awful ovy falling down goal and eventually ends up in the AHL.

I wish bob's higher glove hand position would rub off on him, when he goes in the the fly, he's glove automatically goes down to his side, then tries to come up to get a shot. This is mainly where he gets beat, see malkin's 1st PP goal. It wasn't that boosh wasnt there, it's that his glove was low.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

No matter what though, I still think Bob still has all his ability and confidence still there and stupid things can happen to any goalie. I also hope Bob gets the next 2 starts.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
No matter what though, I still think Bob still has all his ability and confidence still there and stupid things can happen to any goalie. I also hope Bob gets the next 2 starts.
I have a feeling we'll see Leighton on Monday against Florida.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
chaosof99*

Boosh is currently in the zone, and when he's in the zone, he's pretty hard to beat. See his shutout streak with the Coyotes. I hope for him that he can keep it up for a long time, but don't think he'll continue with it indefinitely.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hes like Hansel

Hansel...so hot right now...Hansel

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

The title for this thread is 100% perverted.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Boucher played well last year too. Only difference is that the team wasn't winning in the regular season for most of last year.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If I had to choose between the two I would flip a coin. They both have their ups and downs. Leighton was solid from start to finish with the Flyers last season. Boosh was great at times, and looked like he had no idea how to play goal in a men's rec ball hockey league at other times. If either of them gets waived, someone will likely grab them, but at this point with Leighton fighting an injury and Boosh being Boosh, it really doesn't matter to me. If Leighton is healthy and they waive Boosh, I'm not too worried. If Leighton gets waived, so long. I was a Leighton supporter from early on, but with Bob in net, it would appear that the only thing that matters is who is #2.
Except for the times where he wasn't

This is sort of what Boosh does. Go on a tear for a week or two, then go back to stopping everything thrown at him..except the 2 or 3 run of the mill wrist shots from the blue line.

edit: and the times where it looks like he drank heavily before the game.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
It's possible, all of the times that Lemieux rubbed off on Crosby are well documented.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Except for the times where he wasn't

This is sort of what Boosh does. Go on a tear for a week or two, then go back to stopping everything thrown at him..except the 2 or 3 run of the mill wrist shots from the blue line.

edit: and the times where it looks like he drank heavily before the game.
Leighton absolutely was solid the entire time he was in Philly. He had a bad game now and again and allowed a softie in every now and then, but so does every goalie in the history of the NHL. But overall, Leighton was solid. I don't want to get into this argument for the 9999999th time, but please tell me how a goalie can get the wins, put up the stats, and still have people saying he was terrible, and more than by saying he let in so many soft goals and lost the Stanley Cup for the team. Every goalie lets in soft goals and has bad games, but if Leighton let in as many soft goals as some of you people would like to believe, Leighton would not have put up the numbers he did, which regardless of the reason (defense, luck, praryer, etc) HE PUT UP SOLID NUMBERS! Meanwhile, there were four or five game stretches last season when Boucher couldn't save a damn shot. Leighton never went through that last season. Just look at the game logs for him with the Flyers (ignore the first game because for some reason they counted his game with Carolina against the Flyers as in his stats with the Flyers:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...season=2009-10

He had only four games with the Flyers in which he allowed more than three goals and was not pulled as many times as people like to say he was. The guy was solid all year. I really don't understand how people can look at the record, look at the stats, and still say he wasn't solid. I have been saying this all damn offseason and all people want to do is **** on the guy.

Old
12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Leighton absolutely was solid the entire time he was in Philly. He had a bad game now and again and allowed a softie in every now and then, but so does every goalie in the history of the NHL. But overall, Leighton was solid. I don't want to get into this argument for the 9999999th time, but please tell me how a goalie can get the wins, put up the stats, and still have people saying he was terrible, and more than by saying he let in so many soft goals and lost the Stanley Cup for the team. Every goalie lets in soft goals and has bad games, but if Leighton let in as many soft goals as some of you people would like to believe, Leighton would not have put up the numbers he did, which regardless of the reason (defense, luck, praryer, etc) HE PUT UP SOLID NUMBERS! Meanwhile, there were four or five game stretches last season when Boucher couldn't save a damn shot. Leighton never went through that last season. Just look at the game logs for him with the Flyers (ignore the first game because for some reason they counted his game with Carolina against the Flyers as in his stats with the Flyers:

He had only four games with the Flyers in which he allowed more than three goals and was not pulled as many times as people like to say he was. The guy was solid all year. I really don't understand how people can look at the record, look at the stats, and still say he wasn't solid. I have been saying this all damn offseason and all people want to do is **** on the guy.
Because Niemi was horrible in the SCF and Leighton couldn't be even mediocre. Which would have been good enough for a Cup.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It's possible, all of the times that Lemieux rubbed off on Crosby are well documented.
I feel like Crosby's been rubbed off on plenty of times.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

Stats are fun, but they don't tell the whole story. Just watch the guy...he is slow, and relies heavily on the defense to clear out his booming rebounds. If he wasn't so big, he wouldn't stop anything...add to that the fact that whenever he faced a decent offense he either got chased or let in 3 goals, and the fact that he didn't make a single big save in the finals, and you now know why I don't want any part of him.

If he was any sort of decent, the 3rd D pairing wouldn't have been so thoroughly useless in the finals, either. The D needs to be able to bail out the goalie, but a goalie that can't bail out the D isn't useful either.

He was a good stopgap. But he really shouldn't be considered the solution or savior, especially after he blew so hard in the finals.

edit: in about..what, 35 games? he has also had two injuries, one of which required surgery.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Stats are fun, but they don't tell the whole story. Just watch the guy...he is slow, and relies heavily on the defense to clear out his booming rebounds. If he wasn't so big, he wouldn't stop anything...add to that the fact that whenever he faced a decent offense he either got chased or let in 3 goals, and the fact that he didn't make a single big save in the finals, and you now know why I don't want any part of him.

If he was any sort of decent, the 3rd D pairing wouldn't have been so thoroughly useless in the finals, either. The D needs to be able to bail out the goalie, but a goalie that can't bail out the D isn't useful either.

He was a good stopgap. But he really shouldn't be considered the solution or savior, especially after he blew so hard in the finals.

edit: in about..what, 35 games? he has also had two injuries, one of which required surgery.
You're right. He is slow. He does rely on the defense. But he still managed to have almost double the wins and half the losses as Boucher. And he still played well enough to win. I don't think he should replace Bob, but I would rather have Leighton as the backup than Boucher (as long as he is healthy, that is). My question is this, and I know stats don't tell the whole story, but Boucher and Leighton played on the same team last season. Leighton fared better in net than Boucher did and was consistent. Leighton wasn't great, but he was consistent. Every night you knew he was going to give you a solid performance. I know he only played 30 games, and maybe if he played more he wouldn't have done as well. But the point I am pushing (and have been) is that in the time he spent in Philly, HE WAS SOLID. It is unfathomable that you could argue against that. I am not saying he was great, or is a solution, or anything of that nature. But there is no argument that you could make to say he wasn't solid. Because if he wasn't solid, he wouldn't have been 16-9, he wouldn't have had a lower GAA than a lot of goalies in the league, he wouldn't have had a save percentage better than a lot of goalies, and the Flyers would not have made the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup (remember that stretch of shutouts in the playoffs, when he was so terrible that I almost threw up?). I'm not saying his skill was anything more than it is (I know he isn't the best goalie in the world), all I am saying is that last season, while on the Flyers, HE WAS SOLID.

EDIT: He was 16-6, so he had a better W-L record than I originally thought.