HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Paterson has been named head coach of the Phantoms

Old
12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Joe Paterson has been named head coach of the Phantoms

http://theahl.com/paterson-takes-over-phantoms-p168248

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have named Joe Paterson the head coach of the Adirondack Phantoms, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

John Paddock, who had been serving as the interim head coach of the Phantoms since Nov. 8, will return full-time to his duties as assistant general manager of the Flyers.

Paterson, 50, was named an assistant coach with the Phantoms the same day Paddock was named the interim head coach of the club. He had been serving as a scout for the Atlanta Thrashers organization when he joined the Phantoms.
From earlier in the month:

http://poststar.com/sports/article_7...cc4c002e0.html

Quote:
This one took a lot of gears in motion.

Paterson interviewed for the Phantoms head coaching job before the team moved here. He finished as a runner-up to Greg Gilbert, his good friend, whom he was an assistant to the previous three years in Toronto.

Paterson took a job for the Atlanta organization as a scout. Based out of Glens Falls, he scouted the Phantoms, the East Division of the American Hockey League, and some nearby NHL teams.

When Gilbert was let go after a 2-11 start, Paterson became part of the reclamation project. Initial surprise aside, the position fit. Paterson lived here and played and coached for the Adirondack Red Wings. He also played for John Paddock in the Philadelphia organization.

The only hesitation in his mind was coming to the place where his friend was fired.

"I thought about that first," Paterson said. "But the way the business works, he had already been released. There's a job open. If I didn't take it, somebody else would. I have a passion to coach and help people attain their goals. So once I got that mental part out of my head, it was easy to take. Here's a team in my backyard where I spend a lot of time and I've seen them play and I can help them."

The Detroit Red Wings drafted Paterson in the fifth round in 1979. He began his professional career in 1980 with Adirondack.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-20-2010 at 09:49 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
I'll reserve my judgement on this move to see how the Phantoms themselves react.

They've made steps in the right direction since Paddock took over. Hopefully this will start a progression a little further in the right direction.

Expecting miracles is pointless, but we can hope for the best.

He's had 4 years head coaching experience; 2 with the OHL Greyhounds and 2 with the Louisville Panthers during their only 2 years of existence. The Panthers moved to Iowa, became the Stars changing affiliation from Florida to Dalls, changed their name to the Chops when they split with the Stars, and then moved to Cedar Rapids, Texas when they re-upped with Dallas becoming the Texas Stars.

Since his last head job, he spent a year as an assistant with Hamilton Bulldogs before moving onto the Toronto Roadrunners. The Roadrunners, affiliated with the Oilers, lasted a season, then the lockout happened, and then they became the Marlies affiliated with Toronto. Paterson was an assistant there for 2005-06, 2007-08, and 2008-09.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
jb**

I donít like them making the move now. This is not a knock on Paterson as I have no idea how he coaches. This imo was done because paddock probably doesnít want to do it any longer. I would rather have had them wait until the end of the season then address the coaching to see who was available. Is this the same paterson who played for the flyer very briefly in the early 80ís. They, shooter and paddock, need to be more involved on what is going on with the phantoms. Imo they have neglected them since the move big time. Paddock would have been best served finishing it out and observing these guys up close, while still letting paterson coach so to speak.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I don’t like them making the move now. This is not a knock on Paterson as I have no idea how he coaches. This imo was done because paddock probably doesn’t want to do it any longer. I would rather have had them wait until the end of the season then address the coaching to see who was available. Is this the same paterson who played for the flyer very briefly in the early 80’s. They, shooter and paddock, need to be more involved on what is going on with the phantoms. Imo they have neglected them since the move big time. Paddock would have been best served finishing it out and observing these guys up close, while still letting paterson coach so to speak.
The same. He had a significant role in the 1985 Conference Finals against Quebec.

May 14, 1985 -- In Game 5 at Quebec (series tied 2-2), the duo of Murray Craven and Joe Paterson, the two players acquired in a controversial preseason trade, scored in the third period leading Philadelphia to a dramatic 2-1 home win. In between the second and third periods, in what was generally considered a listless 40 minutes by the Flyers (trailing 1-0), head coach Mike Keenan tossed a table of beverages and then stood atop challenging his players in a towering display of admonishment and requisition. Afterwards, Craven said "Mike said we didn't show we were hungry enough and that they wanted it more than we did. Mike gave us a very stiff talking to."

Paterson's PPG, his third goal of the series (the only three in his Flyers' career) 1:00 into the third, tied the score and then Craven tallied with under five minutes left.

Paterson and Craven were acquired by GM Bob Clarke the day prior to the regular season opener from Detroit for Darryl Sittler.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm not surprised he's part of the Flyer family already

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not surprised he's part of the Flyer family already
It is funny as hell how they seem to have some past flyers connection. Does a guy like hatcher or Desjardin I wonder have any interest at all in coaching full time? Would the flyers even have an interest in them coaching full time?

I would have liked someone who you can groom to take over for Laviolette at some point. Though I think that job goes to Berube anyway as they are high on him being a future nhl coach. I donít see Paterson as that guy at all, which may not be a bad thing if he can help develop some of these guys, despite the lack of talent. What is his deal coaching for anyone that is familiar with him?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
so I guess we know who will be the next coach of the Flyers

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Isn't he the guy who was just burned for 21 points yesterday?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:23 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Isn't he the guy who was just burned for 21 points yesterday?
When I first saw it I read Joe Paterno... and half believed it.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The same. He had a significant role in the 1985 Conference Finals against Quebec.

May 14, 1985 -- In Game 5 at Quebec (series tied 2-2), the duo of Murray Craven and Joe Paterson, the two players acquired in a controversial preseason trade, scored in the third period leading Philadelphia to a dramatic 2-1 home win. In between the second and third periods, in what was generally considered a listless 40 minutes by the Flyers (trailing 1-0), head coach Mike Keenan tossed a table of beverages and then stood atop challenging his players in a towering display of admonishment and requisition. Afterwards, Craven said "Mike said we didn't show we were hungry enough and that they wanted it more than we did. Mike gave us a very stiff talking to."
Why is it always the innocent beverages that suffer from the Flyers' apathy?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
kicksave27

Keenen was a fiery guy and a great coach for a young talented team. Lavy is that for this team, they need a firebrand, not a frat buddy.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Keenen was a fiery guy and a great coach for a young talented team. Lavy is that for this team, they need a firebrand, not a frat buddy.
and to think their are some around here who think coaching doesnt matter.

Old
12-20-2010, 12:43 PM
McNasty

I still think they should give Cote the job for the rest of the year. I mean really what do we have to lose?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I still think they should give Cote the job for the rest of the year. I mean really what do we have to lose?
if Cote wasnt a former Flyer he wouldnt have a job "coaching" in the organization.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if _______ wasnt a former Flyer he wouldnt have a job "________" in the organization.
That statement now accurately sums up our entire orginization.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I donít like them making the move now. This is not a knock on Paterson as I have no idea how he coaches. This imo was done because paddock probably doesnít want to do it any longer. I would rather have had them wait until the end of the season then address the coaching to see who was available. Is this the same paterson who played for the flyer very briefly in the early 80ís. They, shooter and paddock, need to be more involved on what is going on with the phantoms. Imo they have neglected them since the move big time. Paddock would have been best served finishing it out and observing these guys up close, while still letting paterson coach so to speak.
i think they promoted paddock so he didnt have to ride the bus and its been showing in the job hes done developing players. he stayed when the team moved because it would have looked bad if he quit. i wouldnt be surprised to see him replaced after this year and whoever is appointed will bring his own guys in.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote