HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Falcons to hold press conference tomorrow

Old
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Falcons to hold press conference tomorrow

http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php?id=1635

It will be open to the public or available for viewing on the Falcons website.

Certainly odd timing with the holidays coming up, but is this is end of the Falcons?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Tommy Hawk

Do you think this is another one of his annual "if people do not start coming out I am going to move the team" speeches or do you think he has a buyer? IF so, why announce this early unless he sold to someone keeping team where it is now.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Do you think this is another one of his annual "if people do not start coming out I am going to move the team" speeches or do you think he has a buyer? IF so, why announce this early unless he sold to someone keeping team where it is now.
He already said this before the season started so I would be surprised if this was another one of those pressers, especially since the Falcons are currently in next to last place and have won only 3 games in their last 10 (not to mention that they are significantly worse at home than they are on the road).

Old
12-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Tommy Hawk

Mid season move/fold??

Old
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Mid season move/fold??
I think the chances of that are less than FBW or the professor posting something with 100% proper grammar and punctuation.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Rumblick

The local press seems to think the timing means a local buyer has been found.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
The local press seems to think the timing means a local buyer has been found.
Interesting to say the least, but I'm unclear as to why the timing is an optimistic message to the fans in Springfield. If anything, wouldn't an announcement this early be so that whoever is buying the team in another market can start marketing the team in the new city? I would think that the later this announcement is made, the better the chances are that the team is staying put.

I do find the last paragraph to be rather sad though

"The team is now supplied with players by the Columbus Blue Jackets, who are
working on a one-year agreement with future options. Landon has praised the Blue
Jackets, who have put one of Springfield's most competitive teams of the last
decade on the ice."

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a team that is 1 game over .500 is one of Springfield's most competitive teams of the last decade.

That said, given the Falcons poor showing at the box office, I'm scratching my head as to why a potential buyer of the franchise would keep the team there?

Last edited by pelts35.com: 12-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old
12-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think the chances of that are less than FBW or the professor posting something with 100% proper grammar and punctuation.
Quote:
Interesting to say the least, but I'm unclear as to why the timing is an optimistic message to the fans in Springfield. If anything, wouldn't an announcement this early be so that whoever is buying the team in another market can start marketing the team in the new city? I would think that the later this announcement is made, the better the chances are that the team is staying put.

I do find the last paragraph to be rather sad though

"The team is now supplied with players by the Columbus Blue Jackets, who are
working on a one-year agreement with future options. Landon has praised the Blue
Jackets, who have put one of Springfield's most competitive teams of the last
decade on the ice."

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a team that is 1 game over .500 is one of Springfield's most competitive teams of the last decade.

That said, given the Falcons poor showing at the box office, I'm scratching my head as to why a potential buyer of the franchise would keep the team there?

Many sad but true things in this thread!!

Maybe the new owner is IEH since Hulsizer is getting the Yotes and the team is going to move too Thunder Bay and affiliate with the Flames leaving Abbotsford SOL. Then Abbotsford will sell to Axe who will bring a second team to Glens Falls!!

Old
12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Many sad but true things in this thread!!

Maybe the new owner is IEH since Hulsizer is getting the Yotes and the team is going to move too Thunder Bay and affiliate with the Flames leaving Abbotsford SOL. Then Abbotsford will sell to Axe who will bring a second team to Glens Falls!!
If there is any AHL city deserving of 2 teams, it's definitely Glens Falls.

Old
12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
I'm not an expert but would it be open to the public if it was something negative? If it was an announcement of a move it seems they would want to downplay it as much as possible.

12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
sabrefan27

I would assume this press conference will be good news for Falcons fans and that the team will stay for at least the near future. I would also guess that means Springfield will also be extending with Columbus at some point, which makes the Rochester situation all the more interesting considering Nolan's recent comments.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
I'm not an expert but would it be open to the public if it was something negative? If it was an announcement of a move it seems they would want to downplay it as much as possible.
That is a valid point that I didn't think of.

Assuming that the news is good for Springfield fans, I wouldn't be surprised if sabrefan is right on about announcing an extension with them as well as that would go along with Landon's positive comments about Columbus (keeping in mind that is hardly saying much since the Falcons best season since the turn of the millennium is .500 and they have had 4 seasons with winning %ages under .400).

But, it still begs the question of what kind of owner would keep the team there given their recent woes at the box office.

Old
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

You don't set up a publicized news conference on December 21st to announce the team is moving at the end of the season...... clearly the conference is for something good... l

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Tommy Hawk

Maybe they sold the team to the CBJ and they are keeping the team there for the remainder of the lease then moving it Cincy....

Old
12-21-2010, 07:44 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Maybe they sold the team to the CBJ and they are keeping the team there for the remainder of the lease then moving it Cincy....
IIRC their lease is up after this season.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
pelts35.com

Press conference is starting. Bruce Landon starting off with the history of the Falcons and thanking those who have helped to keep hockey in Springfield since 2002.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:05 AM
pelts35.com

Landon's group has been looking for an ownership group to "pass the baton" to for the past 18 months.

Over 28 groups have expressed interest in purchasing the franchise, most from outside the area. They passed on many of those as they wanted to find someone who would commit to keeping the team in Springfield.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Tommy Hawk

From the falcons website. Excellent support from the community??? WTF?!?!?

http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php?id=1636

Quote:
Springfield, MA – The Springfield Falcons, proud members of the American Hockey League, announced today that Springfield Pro Hockey, LLC has been purchased by a new local ownership called Falcons Hockey Entertainment, LLC. The transfer of ownership has been unanimously approved by the AHL’s Board of Governors. The new ownership group will consist of majority owner Charlie Pompea, along with minority owner Bruce Landon.

The Falcons have also announced today that they have extended their affiliation agreement with the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets and extended their lease with the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority.

“I am very honored to join the very long tradition of professional hockey here in Springfield and I am sorry I could not be with you today for this special announcement,” said Pompea.

“I have met many of the players over the years while participating in the Springfield Falcons annual golf outing to benefit the Shriners Hospital and other charities. I have always been impressed by the team’s outstanding involvement in the local community.

“As we move forward, our intention is to keep hockey here in Springfield and provide a consistency of an NHL affiliation. We also want to provide our fans with aggressive, entertaining and winning hockey. I realize that our record on the ice has not been very impressive over the last several years, but we have been assured by the management of the Columbus Blue Jackets that they will do their very best to provide us with players that will help us bring winning hockey to Springfield.

“We want to thank the business community and the fans for their excellent support and patience as we look forward to their continued loyalty. What we need now is to put more fans in the seats and be that extra player that will help us bring the Calder Cup back where it belongs.”

Old
12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
pelts35.com

Falcons have been sold to Falcons Hockey Entertainment LLC, Bruce Landon to continue to be a minority owner and GM of the team.

So, the team is staying put. Hopefully Charlie Pompea has deep pockets and can afford to own a hockey team with declining attendance.

I do have to laugh at the comment about Columbus assuring him that they will do their best to provide players that will bring winning hockey back to Springfield. I suspect that Phoenix, Tampa and Edmonton all assured them that as well.

In retrospect you have to wonder if the Falcons were a bit hasty is kicking Phoenix and Tampa out given that the Rampage are currently in first place and the NorAds are currently in second place.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 12-21-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old
12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Tommy Hawk

Also, doesn't the cup always go back to springfield when the winning team is done with passing it around??

Old
12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
georgec5614

Certainly good news for Springfield. Now they just need to get more butts in the seats.

georgec5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec5614 View Post
Certainly good news for Springfield. Now they just need to get more butts in the seats.
The question is how. Landon has been threatening for years that if attendance didn't improve that the team would be sold. Well, that's now happened (although he's still a minority owner) so what next? How long will Pompea put up with declining attendance before Landon starts those threats again except this time the threat will be something to the effect of Pompea saved hockey in Springfield and, unless attendance improves, the next time we'll have no choice but to find a buyer outside of the area that will move the team.

Old
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
I do have to laugh at the comment about Columbus assuring him that they will do their best to provide players that will bring winning hockey back to Springfield. I suspect that Phoenix, Tampa and Edmonton all assured them that as well.
That's part of the standard "Change of operations" speech. I think they're required to include that by AHL by-laws.

Quote:
In retrospect you have to wonder if the Falcons were a bit hasty is kicking Phoenix and Tampa out given that the Rampage are currently in first place and the NorAds are currently in second place.
It took the Rampage a while to get good, and it took a change of ownership (and two pretty bad seasons in Norfolk) to start moving up. Besides, I'm not sure how much of any moves were Landon's decision.

Quote:
Also, doesn't the cup always go back to springfield when the winning team is done with passing it around??
Given that's the lcoation of the league office, my guess would be yes.

Old
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
It took the Rampage a while to get good, and it took a change of ownership (and two pretty bad seasons in Norfolk) to start moving up. Besides, I'm not sure how much of any moves were Landon's decision.
As the GM of the team certainly Landon has say of who their affiliate is. The Falcons ended their agreement with both Phoenix and Tampa early and look where it got them. Now if they stuck with one of them look where they'd be right now.

Old
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
As the GM of the team certainly Landon has say of who their affiliate is. The Falcons ended their agreement with both Phoenix and Tampa early and look where it got them. Now if they stuck with one of them look where they'd be right now.
You're using 20-20 hindsight. Both Tampa and Phoenix had histories of bad affiliations which continued after they left Springfield. In each case, dumping them was the right decision at the time.