HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

MTL/COL - Avalanche acquire Ryan O'Byrne for prospect Michael Bournival

Old
11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
MTL/COL - Avalanche acquire Ryan O'Byrne for prospect Michael Bournival

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543183

Discuss.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
O'Byrne should be a good 3rd pairing guy if he can gain some confidence

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
O'Byrne can help you guys out, especially with your plethora of defence injuries. Your coaching staff just needs to be REALLY patient with him because he is a mistake prone defenceman and they have to put him with someone who can move the puck.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Just give O'B some ice time and pair him with a responsible vet, and you won't be disappointed.

Big, mobile, stay at home d-man... still young... but still many holes in his game. Best of luck with him.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM
AyVee

What kind of player was Bournival, ever expected to make the Avs?
Looks like he was kicking ass in the minors.

We're already stuck with several projects, this entire team right now is one giant project! He'll fit right in.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Starrlinx

Can't really criticize this move. I liked Bournival but the Avs had to do something.

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pure

vCash: 665
I wonder who gets sent down. I hope its Liffton and not either Shattenkirk or Cohen. Although I do think Shattenkirk needs some seasoning.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

O'Byrne had stints where he was really, really good. If he can be his physical self, while making the simple hockey play - he's going to be a very, very good defensive defenseman. He made a few glaring mistakes (scored on his own net) that really set him back. You could see him lose confidence after that play alone.

He makes some bad mistakes but with a patient coach who can teach him to make the simple plays, he'll be useful. Problem is, Martin hates young players making mistakes so he was never going to get playing time here.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Dgill

I think the Avs dropped the ball on this one, can't say I ever been a fan of O'Byrne. He just makes too many mistakes. He's a liability unless he has someone out there to clean up his mess.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Bournival probably projects as a 2nd/3rd line forward. He plays center for Shawinigan and is their captain. An extremely hard worker that has blossomed offensively this year. He was just drafted this past summer. Not an impact prospect, but may find his way onto Canada's WJC team this year.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
NWAvsFan

I liked where Bournival was going but really he seemed to be more of what we already had in the system. I understand the concerns about O'Byrne but boy he is a biggun (Hasbro?) He has exactly what we are looking for on our back end but it sounds like his struggles have been near epic at times. He is also a bit older than I would like but maybe given 3-4th pair minutes he can show us something? He definitely plugs a hole we have right now. It is a shame we had to give up Bournival but you have to give to get and I can certainly see what they Avs are hoping for here. If it works out we wil HAVE to move at least one defenseman when everyone gets healthy. It was nice knowing you Kyle (intentionally ambiguous.)

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Sort of a meh move. I haven't watched much of Montreal, but at one point O'Byrne was considered a good d-man. He lost a lot of his confidence and the team lost their confidence in him. Hopefully a fresh start will refresh him. Excited to see him play on friday.

Good luck to Bournival.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Me: Reads twitter about Bournival, thinks to self he could be a good third line RW to compliment O'Reilly in the future.

10 minutes later: Read McKenzie's second post that the Avs traded him.

6'5" defenseman, given the Avs a "shutdown guy". Also gives them like 15 defenseman, though.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
That means Avs still have confidence in Stoa because losing Bournival was huge imo, but he's going to a French-Canadian team and him being also French-Canadian will do wonders for him.

The Habs are my second favourite team so I was able to watch O'Byrne a lot last year and to me he seems like a much better version of Wilson. I don't know if his open ice hits are better, but he is much more physical in front of the net and down low at the boards. We had to make this trade though, I mean we are seriously like the Buffalo Sabres when it comes down to your top 6 on defense.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Don't like this trade, O'Byrne's been scratched for quite a while now for a reason. Unless he somehow magically finds his game again we basically just brough in a pylon. The good news is that when Quincey comes back, we can have a D-Pairing of Quincey - O'Byrne and nickname it the Confidence Deadzone and watch two of the bigger Avs on the team get pushed around by much smaller players.

Before anyone even starts, it's not even that I dislike trading a prospect, we traded a prospect that's really adding to his value for a player that has been regressing for quite some time.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

I'll be patient with this one, but I never liked what I saw out of O'Byrne with the Habs. I think he's a borderline NHL defenseman. Perhaps this is a good "change of scenery" trade, 'til then I'll liken it to a simple desperation move. I really like Bournival.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:17 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
Don't like this trade, O'Byrne's been scratched for quite a while now for a reason. Unless he somehow magically finds his game again we basically just brough in a pylon. The good news is that when Quincey comes back, we can have a D-Pairing of Quincey - O'Byrne and nickname it the Confidence Deadzone and watch two of the bigger Avs on the team get pushed around by much smaller players.

Before anyone even starts, it's not even that I dislike trading a prospect, we traded a prospect that's really adding to his value for a player that has been regressing for quite some time.
Agree'd, but maybe Sherman will get lucky again like he did with Mueller.

As for return I wish we went after Yannik Weber or Jarred Tinordi and gave up a little more in return.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Agree'd, but maybe Sherman will get lucky again like he did with Mueller.

As for return I wish we went after Yannik Weber or Jarred Tinordi and gave up a little more in return.
Weber might have helped (but wouldn't address the issue) but Tinordi would have been out of the question. Why? Because the Avs clearly wanted to shore up the D line now, not in the future. But I agree, that would have been nice if they went after these two.

Sherman may get lucky again (though it hasn't been that lucky so far), and I'm really hoping O'Byrne can find his game...but I just don't see it turning out that well.

Who knows though, maybe he'll explode and be our defensive leader we need.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Bournival was one of my favorite prospects...

I'm really disappointed and saddened by this...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
For those of you who kvetch on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the team never drafting a big stay at home defender, there you are, please stop whining

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
For those of you who kvetch on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the team never drafting a big stay at home defender, there you are, please stop whining
Not quite.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

O'Byrne is far from the blue chip stay at home defender the Avalanche need...WOG

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
Weber might have helped (but wouldn't address the issue) but Tinordi would have been out of the question. Why? Because the Avs clearly wanted to shore up the D line now, not in the future. But I agree, that would have been nice if they went after these two.

Sherman may get lucky again (though it hasn't been that lucky so far), and I'm really hoping O'Byrne can find his game...but I just don't see it turning out that well.

Who knows though, maybe he'll explode and be our defensive leader we need.
Weber is looked upon as the eventual 7th defenseman for next year and is in the streit mold, the team is still pretty high on him and his start in the minors this year especially after last year is encouraging.

Tinordi is the eventual replacement for Gill/O'byrne, Usually the Habs go after average sized offensive minded defenseman. A guy on our forum spoke with the head scout (timmins) and to paraphrase, he was specifically drafted to protect Subban and play quality defense to cover Subbans ass when he goes on his rushes. Also considered very highly in the organization, enough to give up a second rounder last year to move up in the draft and pick him up.

O'Byrne last year had a great start, many thought he was finally fulfilling his role as the player we saw him becoming. He was playing physical clearing the net and generally making other teams his *****. But he then got injured, broken foot, and just never got the same confidence back. Even this year he was outplayed by Picard a 7th defenseman from carolina for that role. But if he can get back to where he was he has the ability to be a bottom pairing defenseman or a complementary defenseman, such as the way komisarek was to markov, not normally there but can do a decent job.

Frankly many see this as more of a move in preparation for a larger trade. We've been clearing cap space for about two weeks, first waiving boyd, now this trade and of course there's the outstanding rumors involving us and the canucks for bieksa.

How was Bournival at your development camp this summer anyway?

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pure

vCash: 665
If he can play reasonably well as a bottom pairing dman who can clear the crease and make some big hits, I'll be happy.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JuJu Mobb

Be careful when you attend a Avs game, O'Byrne shoots the puck in the stands quite often.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote