HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Impact on Everett/Seattle IF the NHL arrives

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
  #1
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 50
Impact on Everett/Seattle IF the NHL arrives

Since the league has essentially controlled how they want to place teams by forcing Chilliwack to Victoria, it's been proven that franchises can come and go at however the league wants.

Now, rumours of phoenix potentially moving to Seattle are coming up, I'm just wondering if the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips would be safe, or would their market be ruined?

Nanaimo's getting a team talks has heated up a tad, so who knows. PG isn't safe, PA is having problems, and Swift Current is a small small market in the WHL.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
  #2
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Since the league has essentially controlled how they want to place teams by forcing Chilliwack to Victoria, it's been proven that franchises can come and go at however the league wants.

Now, rumours of phoenix potentially moving to Seattle are coming up, I'm just wondering if the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips would be safe, or would their market be ruined?

Nanaimo's getting a team talks has heated up a tad, so who knows. PG isn't safe, PA is having problems, and Swift Current is a small small market in the WHL.
Its hard to say some markets can handle both some can not When Ottawa was awarded the nhl team people said the 67s are done they is no way the market can support both now what did happen was the 67s have done very well since the sens did arrive my point is a nhl team does not mean the end of a major jr team.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:10 AM
  #3
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Personally, I don't think there would be an impact at all.

Seattle and Everett are 20 and 30 miles out of down respectively, I think they're far enough removed from the city that it wouldn't really hurt them. That being said though, if both teams still continue to dwell in the Western Conference basement when an NHL team arrives, they might have something to worry about.

I'm going down to Everett on the 18th, so I'll ask some Tips fans what they think.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
  #4
beenhereandthere
Registered User
 
beenhereandthere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Evergray State
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Since the league has essentially controlled how they want to place teams by forcing Chilliwack to Victoria, it's been proven that franchises can come and go at however the league wants.

Now, rumours of phoenix potentially moving to Seattle are coming up, I'm just wondering if the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips would be safe, or would their market be ruined?

Nanaimo's getting a team talks has heated up a tad, so who knows. PG isn't safe, PA is having problems, and Swift Current is a small small market in the WHL.
I think it would almost kill the Thunderbirds, since they'd probably would hurt bad enough $wise, that they'd use bankruptcy to get out of their 20 year lease.
I think it wouldn't hurt Everett that much and they would stay long term, particularly if the Tacoma Dome is used in the 1st to 3rd year/s.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:49 PM
  #5
Nick the Viking
Registered User
 
Nick the Viking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Republic of Colwood
Country: Canada
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
I'd worry it'd kill the Thunderbirds too - it's not a hockey town like Vancouver where the Giants have no problem drawing.

Everette may be ok - they would at least have a better chance of surviving (thought they're really not that far from Seattle)

I still cant see the NHL going to the Emerald City anytime soon so I wouldn't loose too much sleep if I was a Thunderbirds fan

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 02:59 PM
  #6
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post

I still cant see the NHL going to the Emerald City anytime soon so I wouldn't loose too much sleep if I was a Thunderbirds fan
I'd say it is a strong possibility. They need the NHL to get an arena built.

Nuclear SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:04 PM
  #7
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
If the Seattle NHL team sells out all of their games, and they will for sure the first few years at Key Arena while the new arena is being built, it shouldn't hurt either team. Heck, the increased hockey interest could help both teams.

If there is not a local boom in hockey interest after the NHL arrives, the Thunderbirds would certainly be in danger while the Silvertips will survive, but probably have lower attendance than they do currently. If Olympia ever gets in the arena game, it could be a potential landing spot for the Thunderbirds.

Nuclear SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
  #8
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
Everett will stay and the Thunderbirds go to Winnipeg.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
  #9
VicWHL101
Registered User
 
VicWHL101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Nanaimo's getting a team talks has heated up a tad, so who knows. PG isn't safe, PA is having problems, and Swift Current is a small small market in the WHL.
Nanaimo is only getting a team if they get a new arena. Although it does make sense to have two teams on the island, it won't happen unless Nanaimo can find someone willing to build a new arena with 100% private money, as the Mayor has already said the city isn't willing to help out at this time.

VicWHL101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  #10
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicWHL101 View Post
Nanaimo is only getting a team if they get a new arena. Although it does make sense to have two teams on the island, it won't happen unless Nanaimo can find someone willing to build a new arena with 100% private money, as the Mayor has already said the city isn't willing to help out at this time.
The league will do whatever it wants. If it wants a team in Nanaimo, there will be a team in Nanaimo.

No offense, but I was quite involved with the Chilliwack to Victoria relocation last year - the league does whatever it wants when it wants.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:18 AM
  #11
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Everett will stay and the Thunderbirds go to Winnipeg.
If TNSE doesn't own a WHL team and has them playing out of the MTS Centre within the next two years, I'll be shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The league will do whatever it wants. If it wants a team in Nanaimo, there will be a team in Nanaimo.

No offense, but I was quite involved with the Chilliwack to Victoria relocation last year - the league does whatever it wants when it wants.
Of course it does, but Nanaimo doesn't have a 7000 seat arena that's ready to steal a WHL team. They won't put one in Frank Crane so like VicWHL said, a private-funded arena would have to be built first.

Then once they have it, the pillage of bankrupt and/or small market teams can begin.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
  #12
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 50
Well, the NHL coming to Seattle just jumped up a fair bit. Wonder if we'll see relocation to Seattle starting next year. The arena site isn't that far away from Kent, WA, where the Thunderbirds play..

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
  #13
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Well, the NHL coming to Seattle just jumped up a fair bit. Wonder if we'll see relocation to Seattle starting next year. The arena site isn't that far away from Kent, WA, where the Thunderbirds play..
The Thunderbirds are still 20 miles away. Not like they're playing right next door. Perhaps they could boost their marketing in Tacoma and Pierce County to attract more ticket sales?

Personally, I'd hate to see them go, if only for their jerseys. One of the best in the entire CHL.


Last edited by Rocko604: 02-16-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
  #14
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
The Thunderbirds are still 20 miles away. Not like they're playing right next door. Perhaps they could boost their marketing in Tacoma and Pierce County to attract more ticket sales?

Personally, I'd hate to see them go, if only for their jerseys. One of the best in the entire CHL.
its' about 15 miles apart, which is exactly the distance of Scotiabank place in Ottawa to downtown Ottawa.

I think the impact will be alot larger than you may think - Everett should be OK, but Seattle (Kent) I think will be significantly impacted...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
  #15
ckg927
Registered User
 
ckg927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Its hard to say some markets can handle both some can not When Ottawa was awarded the nhl team people said the 67s are done they is no way the market can support both now what did happen was the 67s have done very well since the sens did arrive my point is a nhl team does not mean the end of a major jr team.
Actually, the Ottawa market is VERY blessed when it comes to hockey.

You've got the Sens(NHL), the 67s(OHL)...and, across the river, there's Gatineau of the Q. And the Olympiques still do OK for themselves.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
  #16
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
its' about 15 miles apart, which is exactly the distance of Scotiabank place in Ottawa to downtown Ottawa.

I think the impact will be alot larger than you may think - Everett should be OK, but Seattle (Kent) I think will be significantly impacted...
It's 20 miles from Safeco (roughly where the new arena will be) to the ShoWare Center, and about 21 miles to Tacoma. While I'm not saying they'll be fine, I'd just like to think that in a metro area of 4 million people, they can muster up enough interest for 4000 a game. Besides, Everett isn't exactly filling the building either. Everett only has about 700 per game on the T-Birds.

Let's not forget that Seattle has been playing like crap for the past couple of seasons as well. Putting a good product on the ice and making the playoffs would give them a lot of breathing room, IMO.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:59 AM
  #17
tank44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: Canada
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
It's 20 miles from Safeco (roughly where the new arena will be) to the ShoWare Center, and about 21 miles to Tacoma. While I'm not saying they'll be fine, I'd just like to think that in a metro area of 4 million people, they can muster up enough interest for 4000 a game. Besides, Everett isn't exactly filling the building either. Everett only has about 700 per game on the T-Birds.

Let's not forget that Seattle has been playing like crap for the past couple of seasons as well. Putting a good product on the ice and making the playoffs would give them a lot of breathing room, IMO.
Both Everett and Seattle have been bottom feeders for the past couple years. The tips average more on average for almost their entire existence than the T-birds. Everett really does market well in the Snohomish County area and have a strong following. I enjoy going to games there and the arena is really nice with a strong local following with many games Ive gone to with over 6000 people for various teams (not just rivals). It is about 25 miles north of downtown Seattle right off of the freeway. On the other hand going to T-birds games in Kent seems farther than the Everett games and it's about 20 miles from downtown Seattle via freeway and secondary highway/roads. When the t-birds were in downtown playing in Key arena or in Kent at the SHoware I have rarely seen competent crowds over 4000 except vs Portland or Everett with the visiting crowds. I live in the city of Seattle and see a small amount of coverage for both teams in the paper or on tv but there is coverage for both teams in their respective parts of the metro area.

If Seattle got a NHL team, it may hurt attendance for both teams in the beginning due to the entertainment dollar being split since you are drawing from the hockey niche crowd but all three teams can survive. I also agree that if the Seattle NHL succeeds it will also help the WHL teams and minor hockey in the area. If we can get more interest and more local rinks then it will be more affordable to play too. There are 12 hockey rinks between Tacoma & Everett now and most free time is monopolized by the regional minor & adult hockey leagues. I would love a twin rinks situation with a bar upstairs and 2 full size rinks next to each other. Ice time in the city is ridiculous - for 1hr between 700-1100 on any night is ~$250/hr. That makes it very difficult to get local ice time.

tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  #18
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,950
vCash: 500
I could see the T-Birds moving to Manitoba. The move would make perfect sense. Nanaimo doesn't need a WHL team. They have the Nanaimo Clippers and the attendance there is only good when the team is doing well or the Grizzlies are in town.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:26 PM
  #19
Derpzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Portland is interested to. I'm not being biased at all, but I think Portland would be a more suitable market. With only one big 4 franchise and the Rose Garden being NHL size, I think it could happen. There are clearly more hockey fans in Portland to (look at attendance records). And when Seattle's arena is finished it would be great to get a team there also.

Derpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:31 AM
  #20
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpzz View Post
Portland is interested to. I'm not being biased at all, but I think Portland would be a more suitable market. With only one big 4 franchise and the Rose Garden being NHL size, I think it could happen. There are clearly more hockey fans in Portland to (look at attendance records). And when Seattle's arena is finished it would be great to get a team there also.
Paul Allen will be interested... if the prospective NHL team wants to pay rent AND Allen continues to get all suite revenues. The luxury suites in Portland are contracted to the Trailblazers, therefore really nothing has happened and nothing is likely to happen for the foreseeable future regarding NHL.

No Seattle, I become concerned about the Winterhawks. Seattle games are a healthy percentage of Hawk ticket sales. Without that, there are still a handful of promotional games per season that draw well enough on their own, but I wonder if that will be enough.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.