HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
  #901
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Want to make our team really unfair?

Go after Pitkanen.

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - Pitkanen

As much as I love O'Donnell and the way he plays, getting Pitkanen would make that defense insane.

King Forsberg is online now  
Old
01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
  #902
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo is not a top nine forward though and as much as he tries, he just doesn't have the hands. He used to have good hands at one time, but because Carcillo spends so much of his time acting like an idiot and not a hockey player, he let his hands go to waste.

I'd say if the Flyers get anything for Carcillo, they should be jumping up and down with joy that someone gave them something for him. And such a waste too because at one time, there was talent there. The problem was that nobody wanted him to be a hockey player and he was used extensively as a side show. He could have been a 15 to 20 goal scorer in the league, no problem at all.
Some of the onus has to be placed with Carcillo for being bat **** insane at times, and completely embracing a role. If he scored goals instead of kicking people's ***** when his coaches sent him out there to fight I don't know that they'd be that mad. That's easier said than done naturally but you get my point I think. Carcillo's role is dictated as much by his disposition as any talent he may or may not have.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
  #903
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,130
vCash: 500
I still think with a healthy Pronger back in the line up, we don't need any more d-men. Our main 6 six are awesome as is. Our forwards are pretty damn good, but Carcillo is, dare I say, worth less than Shelley. Our goalies behind our defense are usually very good, sometimes insanely good, so we really don't need to worry too much about getting a goalie. I think we should just try to dump cap space. Trade Walker, Leighton and Carcillo, even if it's for small amounts of cash or a really low draft pick. Why fix what ain't broke? Seriously, has anyone thought that by even trying to add a new goalie or defenseman could have unforeseen consequences?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
  #904
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo is not a top nine forward though and as much as he tries, he just doesn't have the hands. He used to have good hands at one time, but because Carcillo spends so much of his time acting like an idiot and not a hockey player, he let his hands go to waste.

I'd say if the Flyers get anything for Carcillo, they should be jumping up and down with joy that someone gave them something for him. And such a waste too because at one time, there was talent there. The problem was that nobody wanted him to be a hockey player and he was used extensively as a side show. He could have been a 15 to 20 goal scorer in the league, no problem at all.
I really think you are undervaluing Carcillo. Now, I agree he isn't a top 9 forward, especially not on this team. But he is not worthless. Teams want guys like Carcillo and players like him will always be in demand. They provide a spark, speed, physicality, and grit to the team. I'd be shocked if they could get higher than a 3rd rounder for him, but I'd be willing to bet that a playoff team looking for a bottom six winger with some edge would take him. No one is going to expect him to score 30 goals or lead the team to victory, but role players are always sought after.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 10:36 PM
  #905
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 500
After tonights Panthers game Marty Reasoner has moved to the top of my want list. The guy is great on face-offs and the PK. We could easily fit his cap hit and he shouldn't cost us much.

King Forsberg is online now  
Old
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  #906
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Does anyone else think that Vokoun wouldnt cost us THAT much at the deadline?

I mean despite being one of the best players on the market the goalie market isnt that big. Theres gonna be a few teams interested but over the past couple of years how many starters have been moved? Better yet how mnay starters have been moved for large return? Halak this offeseason (different situation) was 25 and coming off one of the best goalie performances in recent memory. He he fetched 2 prospects. The better of the two (Eller) hasnt been too fantastic from what Ive seen. I just dont think its gonna cost anything close to JVR or Coburn/Carle or maybe even our first round pick.

I would be extremely happy with something like a a salary dump + a conditional 1st round pick if we win the Stanley Cup. That way if we do have to trade our first it meant we have reached our ultimate goal.

just some thoughts, let me know what you think
I'm speculating that Florida is only about 50/50 at best to deal Vokoun and only then if they get a great offer. All bets are off if they just dive like a submarine. The thing, too, is that the Flyers really have no true salary dump. Zherdev and Walker are the closest Holmgren has to shed a few million, and Florida would have to pretty much take both of them to make the salaries work, depending on what the true banked figure is at the deadline. If I'm Dale Tallon, I sink Vokoun in the Atlantic before I take on Walker's contract.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
  #907
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
Chad LaRose (Car) costs $1.7 mil and is UFA at the end of this season. He'd line up nicely with Richards and Nodl for a potent 2-way line.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 07:04 AM
  #908
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
After tonights Panthers game Marty Reasoner has moved to the top of my want list. The guy is great on face-offs and the PK. We could easily fit his cap hit and he shouldn't cost us much.
I'd do it. Carcillo for him.

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
  #909
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The best part if this thread is the fact that it's literally hard to find a need for this current team with Pronger back. The fact that the only player anyone wants gone is Carcillo who has been a healthy scratch a bunch of games makes me happy in the pants. Not that I don't like the guy but when the most negative fanbase in America can't find a team need at the deadline that means were dangerous.

Juicy Couturier* is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
  #910
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah that's why I would like a subtle acquisition like a Glencross, or Reasoner. Guys that can solidify the bottom 6 and add some PK skills.

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 07:33 AM
  #911
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
The flyers just need a little tinkering with. I think one move will be made, and the flyers will be on their way to the cup.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 07:34 AM
  #912
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think with a healthy Pronger back in the line up, we don't need any more d-men. Our main 6 six are awesome as is. Our forwards are pretty damn good, but Carcillo is, dare I say, worth less than Shelley. Our goalies behind our defense are usually very good, sometimes insanely good, so we really don't need to worry too much about getting a goalie. I think we should just try to dump cap space. Trade Walker, Leighton and Carcillo, even if it's for small amounts of cash or a really low draft pick. Why fix what ain't broke? Seriously, has anyone thought that by even trying to add a new goalie or defenseman could have unforeseen consequences?
Carcillo is still a RFA after this season, iirc, so we can still trade him after the season. It doesn't make sense to trade all of our depth before the playoffs, because there will be injuries and slumps. It's nice to have the ability to dress a solid Matt Walker or Bartulis if one of our top6 D gets hurt and not have to call up some AHL scrub or rookie. The same thing can be said about Carcillo, especially because I still expect Shelley to sit on most night in the playoffs and Carcillo was pretty good in last years run.

Aren't waivers out of effect after the deadline?
If Boucher or Bob go down, call up Leighton.

We are in a pretty good position and trading this position created by depth for useless draft picks isn't a good idea.

dookie88 is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
  #913
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Aren't waivers out of effect after the deadline?
If Boucher or Bob go down, call up Leighton.

We are in a pretty good position and trading this position created by depth for useless draft picks isn't a good idea.
No. Re-entry waivers do not go away. The FLyers are not and should not call Leighton up. If this was the last year of his deal, they would try it after the trade deadline. However, since he has one more year - we would be paying 750,000 of Leighton's salary for him to play elsewhere NEXT YEAR. That would likely mean replacing Leino with Testwuide or something. No way Leighton comes back up.

phillyfanatic is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
  #914
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,330
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
No. Re-entry waivers do not go away. The FLyers are not and should not call Leighton up. If this was the last year of his deal, they would try it after the trade deadline. However, since he has one more year - we would be paying 750,000 of Leighton's salary for him to play elsewhere NEXT YEAR. That would likely mean replacing Leino with Testwuide or something. No way Leighton comes back up.
IIRC we only pay half the cap hit the year he's claimed and then afterwards, the claiming team pays the entirety.

LEIFey is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 09:31 AM
  #915
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
IIRC we only pay half the cap hit the year he's claimed and then afterwards, the claiming team pays the entirety.
Nope, we'd be stuck with half the hit for the life of the contract. Dallas is still paying for half of Sean Avery.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
  #916
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Are we allowed to bring him back and carry Leighton as a third goalie during playoffs though, I am pretty sure that is standard practice.

flountown is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
  #917
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,496
vCash: 50
Don't start talking like the Flyers won't do it. Paul Holmgren's actions over the years shows that waivers are of no deterrent to what he wants to do. And when he gets claimed Holmgren will cry poor, hold up his hands like Mr. Moneybags and says "it is what it is, what can you do?"

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
  #918
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Are we allowed to bring him back and carry Leighton as a third goalie during playoffs though, I am pretty sure that is standard practice.
No, waivers are still in effect.

Jester is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
  #919
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Nope, we'd be stuck with half the hit for the life of the contract. Dallas is still paying for half of Sean Avery.
Exactly. If only it was different, then Leighton coming up would be an EASY YES. Instead, it is an EASY NO.

phillyfanatic is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
  #920
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Don't start talking like the Flyers won't do it. Paul Holmgren's actions over the years shows that waivers are of no deterrent to what he wants to do. And when he gets claimed Holmgren will cry poor, hold up his hands like Mr. Moneybags and says "it is what it is, what can you do?"
Your opinion. Many (even those who may be more negative on Homer) believe he has learned from the Randy Jones issue and will not do that again. That is why we are keeping 8 D in the NHL, he doesn't want to send them down as he cannot call them up without going through re-entry.

phillyfanatic is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
  #921
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Your opinion. Many (even those who may be more negative on Homer) believe he has learned from the Randy Jones issue and will not do that again. That is why we are keeping 8 D in the NHL, he doesn't want to send them down as he cannot call them up without going through re-entry.
He's only had 8 D for like a week. It isn't like he's been holding 8 D in his pocket all season. (And, even there, tonight will be the first game all season in which the Flyers had 8 active D on the roster.)

And I think there's very little reason to believe that Bartulis would survive waivers... which they are aware of.

Jester is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  #922
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's only had 8 D for like a week. It isn't like he's been holding 8 D in his pocket all season. (And, even there, tonight will be the first game all season in which the Flyers had 8 active D on the roster.)

And I think there's very little reason to believe that Bartulis would survive waivers... which they are aware of.
When they started the year they said they were keeping all 8. Your right that due to injury they haven't had 8 D dressed is true, but then - that was the POINT of keeping the 8 D as they wouldn't be able to re-call someone to replace an injured player without having to clear re-entry.

Bartulis would not survive waivers at .6 million. Walker would make it through and will be the first sent down, they just need to know that will not be able to re-call him if they need him as he would not make it through re-entry.

phillyfanatic is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
  #923
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
When they started the year they said they were keeping all 8. Your right that due to injury they haven't had 8 D dressed is true, but then - that was the POINT of keeping the 8 D as they wouldn't be able to re-call someone to replace an injured player without having to clear re-entry.

Bartulis would not survive waivers at .6 million. Walker would make it through and will be the first sent down, they just need to know that will not be able to re-call him if they need him as he would not make it through re-entry.
Actually, it's pretty clear the Flyers didn't understand the waiver rules with regard to Bartulis and thought they could send him down when they set this up during the summer.

Jester is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
  #924
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leighton wont have to go through re entry waivers to be on the team for next season though.

And if we want him in the AHL again, we will have to waive him again.

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
  #925
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
a vet who's great on faceoffs and defensively responsible to play with powe and betts in the playoffs. Well i'm assuming shelley isn't playing a shift in the playoffs.

kicksave27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.