HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Want to make our team really unfair?

Go after Pitkanen.

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - Pitkanen

As much as I love O'Donnell and the way he plays, getting Pitkanen would make that defense insane.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo is not a top nine forward though and as much as he tries, he just doesn't have the hands. He used to have good hands at one time, but because Carcillo spends so much of his time acting like an idiot and not a hockey player, he let his hands go to waste.

I'd say if the Flyers get anything for Carcillo, they should be jumping up and down with joy that someone gave them something for him. And such a waste too because at one time, there was talent there. The problem was that nobody wanted him to be a hockey player and he was used extensively as a side show. He could have been a 15 to 20 goal scorer in the league, no problem at all.
Some of the onus has to be placed with Carcillo for being bat **** insane at times, and completely embracing a role. If he scored goals instead of kicking people's ***** when his coaches sent him out there to fight I don't know that they'd be that mad. That's easier said than done naturally but you get my point I think. Carcillo's role is dictated as much by his disposition as any talent he may or may not have.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still think with a healthy Pronger back in the line up, we don't need any more d-men. Our main 6 six are awesome as is. Our forwards are pretty damn good, but Carcillo is, dare I say, worth less than Shelley. Our goalies behind our defense are usually very good, sometimes insanely good, so we really don't need to worry too much about getting a goalie. I think we should just try to dump cap space. Trade Walker, Leighton and Carcillo, even if it's for small amounts of cash or a really low draft pick. Why fix what ain't broke? Seriously, has anyone thought that by even trying to add a new goalie or defenseman could have unforeseen consequences?

Old
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo is not a top nine forward though and as much as he tries, he just doesn't have the hands. He used to have good hands at one time, but because Carcillo spends so much of his time acting like an idiot and not a hockey player, he let his hands go to waste.

I'd say if the Flyers get anything for Carcillo, they should be jumping up and down with joy that someone gave them something for him. And such a waste too because at one time, there was talent there. The problem was that nobody wanted him to be a hockey player and he was used extensively as a side show. He could have been a 15 to 20 goal scorer in the league, no problem at all.
I really think you are undervaluing Carcillo. Now, I agree he isn't a top 9 forward, especially not on this team. But he is not worthless. Teams want guys like Carcillo and players like him will always be in demand. They provide a spark, speed, physicality, and grit to the team. I'd be shocked if they could get higher than a 3rd rounder for him, but I'd be willing to bet that a playoff team looking for a bottom six winger with some edge would take him. No one is going to expect him to score 30 goals or lead the team to victory, but role players are always sought after.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:36 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

After tonights Panthers game Marty Reasoner has moved to the top of my want list. The guy is great on face-offs and the PK. We could easily fit his cap hit and he shouldn't cost us much.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Does anyone else think that Vokoun wouldnt cost us THAT much at the deadline?

I mean despite being one of the best players on the market the goalie market isnt that big. Theres gonna be a few teams interested but over the past couple of years how many starters have been moved? Better yet how mnay starters have been moved for large return? Halak this offeseason (different situation) was 25 and coming off one of the best goalie performances in recent memory. He he fetched 2 prospects. The better of the two (Eller) hasnt been too fantastic from what Ive seen. I just dont think its gonna cost anything close to JVR or Coburn/Carle or maybe even our first round pick.

I would be extremely happy with something like a a salary dump + a conditional 1st round pick if we win the Stanley Cup. That way if we do have to trade our first it meant we have reached our ultimate goal.

just some thoughts, let me know what you think
I'm speculating that Florida is only about 50/50 at best to deal Vokoun and only then if they get a great offer. All bets are off if they just dive like a submarine. The thing, too, is that the Flyers really have no true salary dump. Zherdev and Walker are the closest Holmgren has to shed a few million, and Florida would have to pretty much take both of them to make the salaries work, depending on what the true banked figure is at the deadline. If I'm Dale Tallon, I sink Vokoun in the Atlantic before I take on Walker's contract.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
BernieParent

Chad LaRose (Car) costs $1.7 mil and is UFA at the end of this season. He'd line up nicely with Richards and Nodl for a potent 2-way line.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
After tonights Panthers game Marty Reasoner has moved to the top of my want list. The guy is great on face-offs and the PK. We could easily fit his cap hit and he shouldn't cost us much.
I'd do it. Carcillo for him.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The best part if this thread is the fact that it's literally hard to find a need for this current team with Pronger back. The fact that the only player anyone wants gone is Carcillo who has been a healthy scratch a bunch of games makes me happy in the pants. Not that I don't like the guy but when the most negative fanbase in America can't find a team need at the deadline that means were dangerous.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
HoverCarle*

Yeah that's why I would like a subtle acquisition like a Glencross, or Reasoner. Guys that can solidify the bottom 6 and add some PK skills.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers just need a little tinkering with. I think one move will be made, and the flyers will be on their way to the cup.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:34 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think with a healthy Pronger back in the line up, we don't need any more d-men. Our main 6 six are awesome as is. Our forwards are pretty damn good, but Carcillo is, dare I say, worth less than Shelley. Our goalies behind our defense are usually very good, sometimes insanely good, so we really don't need to worry too much about getting a goalie. I think we should just try to dump cap space. Trade Walker, Leighton and Carcillo, even if it's for small amounts of cash or a really low draft pick. Why fix what ain't broke? Seriously, has anyone thought that by even trying to add a new goalie or defenseman could have unforeseen consequences?
Carcillo is still a RFA after this season, iirc, so we can still trade him after the season. It doesn't make sense to trade all of our depth before the playoffs, because there will be injuries and slumps. It's nice to have the ability to dress a solid Matt Walker or Bartulis if one of our top6 D gets hurt and not have to call up some AHL scrub or rookie. The same thing can be said about Carcillo, especially because I still expect Shelley to sit on most night in the playoffs and Carcillo was pretty good in last years run.

Aren't waivers out of effect after the deadline?
If Boucher or Bob go down, call up Leighton.

We are in a pretty good position and trading this position created by depth for useless draft picks isn't a good idea.

Old
01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Aren't waivers out of effect after the deadline?
If Boucher or Bob go down, call up Leighton.

We are in a pretty good position and trading this position created by depth for useless draft picks isn't a good idea.
No. Re-entry waivers do not go away. The FLyers are not and should not call Leighton up. If this was the last year of his deal, they would try it after the trade deadline. However, since he has one more year - we would be paying 750,000 of Leighton's salary for him to play elsewhere NEXT YEAR. That would likely mean replacing Leino with Testwuide or something. No way Leighton comes back up.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
No. Re-entry waivers do not go away. The FLyers are not and should not call Leighton up. If this was the last year of his deal, they would try it after the trade deadline. However, since he has one more year - we would be paying 750,000 of Leighton's salary for him to play elsewhere NEXT YEAR. That would likely mean replacing Leino with Testwuide or something. No way Leighton comes back up.
IIRC we only pay half the cap hit the year he's claimed and then afterwards, the claiming team pays the entirety.

Old
01-20-2011, 09:31 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
IIRC we only pay half the cap hit the year he's claimed and then afterwards, the claiming team pays the entirety.
Nope, we'd be stuck with half the hit for the life of the contract. Dallas is still paying for half of Sean Avery.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
flountown

Are we allowed to bring him back and carry Leighton as a third goalie during playoffs though, I am pretty sure that is standard practice.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Don't start talking like the Flyers won't do it. Paul Holmgren's actions over the years shows that waivers are of no deterrent to what he wants to do. And when he gets claimed Holmgren will cry poor, hold up his hands like Mr. Moneybags and says "it is what it is, what can you do?"

Old
01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Are we allowed to bring him back and carry Leighton as a third goalie during playoffs though, I am pretty sure that is standard practice.
No, waivers are still in effect.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Nope, we'd be stuck with half the hit for the life of the contract. Dallas is still paying for half of Sean Avery.
Exactly. If only it was different, then Leighton coming up would be an EASY YES. Instead, it is an EASY NO.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Don't start talking like the Flyers won't do it. Paul Holmgren's actions over the years shows that waivers are of no deterrent to what he wants to do. And when he gets claimed Holmgren will cry poor, hold up his hands like Mr. Moneybags and says "it is what it is, what can you do?"
Your opinion. Many (even those who may be more negative on Homer) believe he has learned from the Randy Jones issue and will not do that again. That is why we are keeping 8 D in the NHL, he doesn't want to send them down as he cannot call them up without going through re-entry.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
Your opinion. Many (even those who may be more negative on Homer) believe he has learned from the Randy Jones issue and will not do that again. That is why we are keeping 8 D in the NHL, he doesn't want to send them down as he cannot call them up without going through re-entry.
He's only had 8 D for like a week. It isn't like he's been holding 8 D in his pocket all season. (And, even there, tonight will be the first game all season in which the Flyers had 8 active D on the roster.)

And I think there's very little reason to believe that Bartulis would survive waivers... which they are aware of.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's only had 8 D for like a week. It isn't like he's been holding 8 D in his pocket all season. (And, even there, tonight will be the first game all season in which the Flyers had 8 active D on the roster.)

And I think there's very little reason to believe that Bartulis would survive waivers... which they are aware of.
When they started the year they said they were keeping all 8. Your right that due to injury they haven't had 8 D dressed is true, but then - that was the POINT of keeping the 8 D as they wouldn't be able to re-call someone to replace an injured player without having to clear re-entry.

Bartulis would not survive waivers at .6 million. Walker would make it through and will be the first sent down, they just need to know that will not be able to re-call him if they need him as he would not make it through re-entry.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
When they started the year they said they were keeping all 8. Your right that due to injury they haven't had 8 D dressed is true, but then - that was the POINT of keeping the 8 D as they wouldn't be able to re-call someone to replace an injured player without having to clear re-entry.

Bartulis would not survive waivers at .6 million. Walker would make it through and will be the first sent down, they just need to know that will not be able to re-call him if they need him as he would not make it through re-entry.
Actually, it's pretty clear the Flyers didn't understand the waiver rules with regard to Bartulis and thought they could send him down when they set this up during the summer.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
HoverCarle*

Leighton wont have to go through re entry waivers to be on the team for next season though.

And if we want him in the AHL again, we will have to waive him again.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
kicksave27

a vet who's great on faceoffs and defensively responsible to play with powe and betts in the playoffs. Well i'm assuming shelley isn't playing a shift in the playoffs.

Closed Thread