HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Why do I continue to cheer for this team?

Old
12-21-2010, 08:32 AM
papaphilly

vCash: 633
Why do I continue to cheer for this team?

Can we fire the Sutters yet? I mean c'monnnnn...How much longer do we need to suffer?

papaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Pekkas Purse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaphilly View Post
Can we fire the Sutters yet? I mean c'monnnnn...How much longer do we need to suffer?
We all need to stop cheering for the team short term (I have) until attendance goes down enough to motivate the owners to rebuild.

Pekkas Purse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
papaphilly

Agreed, but let's be realistic. This team is amongst the top in loyal fan-base. I can't see myself cheering for another team, especially since I live in Toronto. I can't see the fans not purchasing tickets, and boycotting until changes are made. I sound like a broken record, but this Western hockey philosophy of being the rough grinders simply doesn't fit in this new age NHL. Yes, we need youth... But nothing will change until the GM changes IMO.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Flamesfan13

vCash: 50
The pain, the suffering, the failure. Those are the three words to describe the flames season so far. I say we fire Brent, Darryl coaches for the rest of the season, Feaster is Gm.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I say fire Darryl, name Feaster as the interm GM and let Brent coach until a new GM comes in and determines who he wants. Brent is not this teams problem.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
GoFlames

The problem is the core and GM. You can say the team appears rotten to the core. I am not a band wagon fan and still cheer for the team.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
flames123

Why do I keep cheering for this team?

Because I am not a bandwagon fan or an American.

I may stop watching as many games but I will always be a fan.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Why do I keep cheering for this team?

Because I am not a bandwagon fan
This.

OP, I'll be glad to take your Flames merchandise and any tickets that you may not be using.

On your way out, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Yeah I'd say you'd have to be crazy to cheer for another team, even to ask why you'd cheer for another team is bandwagon because this team has seen some terrible seasons prior to the Sutter era. Craig Button did nothing to build a winning team, nor did Al Coates, nor did Risebrough. The expectations are higher with this team, as how they should be, but having a season-to-season perception on this team requires you to jump on a given season bandwagon. But don't get me wrong, I'm for a rebuild too, but boycotting games, not cheering? C'mon.

Boycotting might give you a new team (not guaranteed) seeing as how business is business, but you'd be a crappy fan to do it. Do yourself a favour: lower the standard for this team, and you'll be screaming and cheering for every goal, power play, blocked shot, etc in no time at all. You'll be much happier that way

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
VaporGenie

Quote:
Agreed, but let's be realistic. This team is amongst the top in loyal fan-base. I can't see myself cheering for another team, especially since I live in Toronto. I can't see the fans not purchasing tickets, and boycotting until changes are made. I sound like a broken record, but this Western hockey philosophy of being the rough grinders simply doesn't fit in this new age NHL. Yes, we need youth... But nothing will change until the GM changes IMO.
That just isn't true

VaporGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
how does anyone take this thread seriously when this is the guys first post... its more likely its a fan of another team rubbing in our struggles than a loyal fan who is upset by the way this season has gone

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
getoverit

Seriously??? Whether he has one post or 100, any flames fan could say that in their head or outloud. Hi expectations this year to see our team flounder at best, its painful, why do we we continue to cheer. Well it our frickin team and dont have it in me to cheer for anyone else regardless, but have to say I think it some days, like taking 2 months to finally win a back to back game It happens, its human nature. Upwards and onwards...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
how does anyone take this thread seriously when this is the guys first post... its more likely its a fan of another team rubbing in our struggles than a loyal fan who is upset by the way this season has gone

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Seriously??? Whether he has one post or 100, any flames fan could say that in their head or outloud. Hi expectations this year to see our team flounder at best, its painful, why do we we continue to cheer. Well it our frickin team and dont have it in me to cheer for anyone else regardless, but have to say I think it some days, like taking 2 months to finally win a back to back game It happens, its human nature. Upwards and onwards...............
if you have to ask yourself why you cheer for a team you aren't a real fan... a real fan no matter how ****** things get knows exactly why they are a fan and stick by the team through the worst

Old
12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
if you have to ask yourself why you cheer for a team you aren't a real fan... a real fan no matter how ****** things get knows exactly why they are a fan and stick by the team through the worst
Many of us have already been through worse. I was born in 89, so I missed the cup. I got to be raised to a steady diet of Flames management dismantling the team and lots of years out of the playoffs. I'm still here. I know I'm not the only one that has stuck through.

However, as with any team (except maybe the Leafs), there are a large number of fairweather fans. Calgary went from 13-14 per game at most for the late 90's early 00's, only to go to sell outs once the Flames became successful again.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:43 PM
papaphilly

Quote:
Yes, this is my first thread. That should easily mean that I am not a Flames fan or plan to bash the team. Makes real sense . My friend, I was born and raised in Calgary, lived through all the good times, and the not so good times. The Flames are a team I grew up with and have been parading every moment I can. Hell, I even worked at the Saddledome as an usher for 5 seasons (getting paid $5.75/hr) just so I can watch the games live.

My reason for this thread was simply to see what other fellow Flames fans thought about the direction of this club. Living in Toronto, its tough to talk to anyone about anything that is not Blue or White, or which team won the Phaneauf trade, etc.

Maybe I should have uploaded a photo of Bearcat Murray or Lanny holding the cup, in order for you to not get your panties in a knot.

But hey...It's only my first thread

Old
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Boomstick

vCash: 495
I'm a Flame fan for life.
Teams struggle, it's a cycle, it's a business. There can only be one Champion.
You're not going to be that Champion every year.
Yeah, I'm disappointed, it's hard to stay upbeat with this team, but you can't just come and go as you please.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

As a fan of the Flames, I will be cheering my a** off when D. Sutter gets canned this year. That will be my happiest moment this season because it will mean that we are finally moving in a different direction and that there is hope for this team once again.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
As a fan of the Flames, I will be cheering my a** off when D. Sutter gets canned this year.

I hear that.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
getoverit

Is that a rhetorical question? the only thing people are cheering about with this team is wanting members of their team canned or exiled, is this being a real fan? What are you cheering about these days, obviously since you are a real fan? as I really want to become a "real" fan

Me Im not a real fan obviously, as I have only stuck with the flames for 30 years of just bliss , missed over 40 games during that time approx as I didnt have access to tv or radio, I mean what gives. I can only go to 12-15 games a year cause thats all I can afford. I drive from Edmonton each time cause I like driving for 6 hours at a time. But hey I question it all the time this year, its like a bad story since last January, no heart beating on this team.
But hey still here banging my head against the wall cause I like punishment............ but hey maybe one day I will be a real fan, till then I guess I just keep questioning why

oh forgot to say, this is day #24 of quitting smoking and I really want to rip the lips off all the players at the moment, wonder if this is what PMS'ing feels like

Quote:

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Is that a rhetorical question? the only thing people are cheering about with this team is wanting members of their team canned or exiled, is this being a real fan? What are you cheering about these days, obviously since you are a real fan? as I really want to become a "real" fan

Me Im not a real fan obviously, as I have only stuck with the flames for 30 years of just bliss , missed over 40 games during that time approx as I didnt have access to tv or radio, I mean what gives. I can only go to 12-15 games a year cause thats all I can afford. I drive from Edmonton each time cause I like driving for 6 hours at a time. But hey I question it all the time this year, its like a bad story since last January, no heart beating on this team.
But hey still here banging my head against the wall cause I like punishment............ but hey maybe one day I will be a real fan, till then I guess I just keep questioning why

oh forgot to say, this is day #24 of quitting smoking and I really want to rip the lips off all the players at the moment, wonder if this is what PMS'ing feels like
wouldn't i need to ask a question in order to ask a rhetorical question?... i was making a statement... im not ragging on people for getting mad, or wanting changes or whatever... but to actually question why you are being loyal to the team is a totally different matter

Old
12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
puckhead103*

relocation talk

what if calgary fans stopped going to the games, stop paying for season tickets and merchandise, since the product on the ice is so bad........and flames ownership may turn around by saying "since we can't make it here in calgary, and the fans aren't paying tickets and the feds/provincials won't give us public money we need get a new arena, maybe we pick up and move to a US city with a modern arena (philips arena if the thrashers move to winnipeg or KC sprint center in kansas city)...

i think this will happen in two years....

puckhead103* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:17 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead103 View Post
what if calgary fans stopped going to the games, stop paying for season tickets and merchandise, since the product on the ice is so bad........and flames ownership may turn around by saying "since we can't make it here in calgary, and the fans aren't paying tickets and the feds/provincials won't give us public money we need get a new arena, maybe we pick up and move to a US city with a modern arena (philips arena if the thrashers move to winnipeg or KC sprint center in kansas city)...

i think this will happen in two years....

That would never happen, people in Canada love hockey and would go to a Flames game regardless of how horrible the team is. If they continue to do badly, sell outs may become far and few but to move the team to the USA??? That would be the worse business move ever, if you can't make it in Calgary then you wouldn't be able to make it anywhere in the USA

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
puckhead103*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
That would never happen, people in Canada love hockey and would go to a Flames game regardless of how horrible the team is. If they continue to do badly, sell outs may become far and few but to move the team to the USA??? That would be the worse business move ever, if you can't make it in Calgary then you wouldn't be able to make it anywhere in the USA
hate to bust the bubble....

its gonna be hard for the flames to look for local/provinicial/federal monies to get a new arena....

i can see this team move in two or three years.....if the ownership refuses to upgrade this team...from the scouts to darryl sutter's head....

puckhead103* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Quote:

its gonna be hard for the flames to look for local/provinicial/federal monies to get a new arena....

i can see this team move in two or three years.....if the ownership refuses to upgrade this team...from the scouts to darryl sutter's head....
What are you trying to scare fans into going to games? Who is this? Ken King?

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:

You my friend need to learn the basics of running a business. You think owners are stupid enough to move a team because people stop watching a losing team? I think they would be able to realize they need to restructure a team before anything drastic like that would happen. Ya, lets move a team with probably one of the best fan bases in the league, to somewhere that has never had a hockey team, how the hell do you see any logic in that? Money is not a problem when you have a strong fan base.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote