HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Have the Steinbrenners buy the NY Isles

Old
12-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Isles Drive 4 5

vCash: 500
Have the Steinbrenners buy the NY Isles

Not that the Wilpons wouldn't be a good owners of the Isles but the Steinbrenners would be absolutely perfect.....Have resorces, Yes Network, but most of all the knoweledge and passion to succeed and continually build a winning organization, both from a fans point of view and a players' point of view and with their expertise they CAN make the isles profitable. All this coming from a mets fan BTW

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

First question - how do you know that they want to buy into the National Hockey League?

Second question - when the Steinbrenners' "magic" formula has been spending many multiple times what other teams are paying, how will this translate into the salary cap NHL?

(And don't tell me about the Rangers spent a lot of money pre-cap and didn't win. Not A-> Not B is not the same thing as A-> B).

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Chileiceman

Can they build an arena? I think that would be the biggest question.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
First question - how do you know that they want to buy into the National Hockey League?

Second question - when the Steinbrenners' "magic" formula has been spending many multiple times what other teams are paying, how will this translate into the salary cap NHL?

(And don't tell me about the Rangers spent a lot of money pre-cap and didn't win. Not A-> Not B is not the same thing as A-> B).
Answer to first question-- they're business men.....if they saw an opportunity to buy a depressed asset on the cheap...build it up for a profit.....(THEY'RE CAN BE NO DOUBT THAT WANGS MISMANAGEMENT and stubborn stupidity is the main cause as to why the Isles are in the situation that they are in), MY guess would be they would at least entertain the idea....on top of that...they truly would be the "Kings of NY" from a PR point of view...feeds and adds to their ego/legacy..owning the Skankees and Isles...

Secondly - obviously they would do things a little different...especially IF THEY DID buy the Isles..they would be taking over a team that has a stock pile of young top end talent in the minors (farm system) that would be poised to be the core of the franchise ala jeter, rivera, Petite types along with the fact the Isles have a ton of cap space to work with....and if your a F/A my guess is who wouldn't want to work for an owners like the steinbrenners with their proven track record albeit in baseball of wanting to build a continual winner...not to mention in baseball they have a luxury tax like a cap in hockey..but they spend irrgardless...would they do that for the Isles at this point I would say no...but who knows

Third- they WOULD HAVE AND WOULD BE ALOT SMARTER IN DEALING WITH THE DUMB ASS POLITICIANS IN GETTING AN AREANA DONE ALONG MAYBE OF DEVELOPING THAT WASTE AROUND THE nvmc to where they can have additional revenue streams...than wang...wang is just plain stupid

Old
12-11-2010, 12:40 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Doesn't matter if they have Yes -- The Isles and Devils benefit from a sweet deal to be on MSG from Cablevision. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the Isles revenue comes from it.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Doesn't matter if they have Yes -- The Isles and Devils benefit from a sweet deal to be on MSG from Cablevision. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the Isles revenue comes from it.
Even better, as I chuckle to my self...., have your competitor pay you millions to show your product and at the same time on the "yes" network also promote them too....an exeutive wet dream

Old
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Maybe Nassau County could lend you $200 mm to buy them.

Or maybe not: "Despite Wealth, Nassau County Is in Fiscal Crisis"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/ny...1&ref=nyregion

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
Maybe Nassau County could lend you $200 mm to buy them.

Or maybe not: "Despite Wealth, Nassau County Is in Fiscal Crisis"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/ny...1&ref=nyregion
Thank you for posting this article....it just goes to prove to me the incompotence of our local gov't and in my opinion is the major reason why ideas like the light House project even downsized has so much trouple getting developed,,you add to that a stubborn stupid owners of a professional hockey team with no Political IQ which results in the situation as mentioned by the article.

Old
12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

There is a group trying to buy. They are backed by big money. And I while I don't know the intricacies, or the full business side of it, the Land it is on plays a big part. So for the Isles fans it could be tremendous news as this would stay here. And even better...Pat LaFontaiune is involved. But the Stienbrenners are not.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
There is a group trying to buy. They are backed by big money. And I while I don't know the intricacies, or the full business side of it, the Land it is on plays a big part. So for the Isles fans it could be tremendous news as this would stay here. And even better...Pat LaFontaiune is involved. But the Stienbrenners are not.
That is GREAT NEWS TO HEAR AND I THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT.... is there any proof, back up to this or is this stuff were gonna be reading about in a few months as these dealings are taking place behind the seens. Once again I hope your right which I do believe you are and if you can provide any evidence I would also greatly appreciate....oh i'm not a news reporter or anything...lol..I just take what i read on the internet with "a grain of salt"

Old
12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Islanderfan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I have only heard this rumor on message boards which means it most likely is not true.

Plus I hate how every single owner is only interested in the Land. Its the only thing that keeps the team here but it also brings in owners who don't put in money for the team (except for wang during the 1st year he owned)

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Yeah! Lets force the Steinbrenners to buy the team! Woohoo!!!

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Can they build an arena? I think that would be the biggest question.
Anyone can renovate the coliseum if they have the money. They just can't build a mini-city like the lighthouse project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
That is GREAT NEWS TO HEAR AND I THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT.... is there any proof, back up to this or is this stuff were gonna be reading about in a few months as these dealings are taking place behind the seens. Once again I hope your right which I do believe you are and if you can provide any evidence I would also greatly appreciate....oh i'm not a news reporter or anything...lol..I just take what i read on the internet with "a grain of salt"
That rumor is about a month old.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
KevFu

If Big Stein was still alive, I would have zero problem with him owning the Islanders... and I'm a Mets fan.

But they wouldn't. The MSG contract would eliminate their interest. They couldn't put Islanders games on YES until 2033 (the Islanders TV deal is roughly 1/4 of their revenue; $18 mil of $68 mil if you believe Forbes).

The problem the Islanders have -- aside from the arena/revenue issue -- is that they simply don't run a first class organization. They don't take care of their people; they don't fund things that need to be funded (i.e. scouting).

The frustrating thing isn't the losing. If we have no money and can't compete because we always have to trade our best players before they walk away via free agency (aka the Buffalo Sabres), we'd be okay with that.

It's the fact that we don't have a director of scouting; won't pay for radio broadcasts, nickel and dime everything possible. Have an owner who knows nothing about hockey but meddles anyway, etc, etc.

That doesn't happen with the Yankees. They may be arrogant and insecure and need to brag constantly, but they are also the organization that sent bottles of champagne to the Astros locker room after Houston no-hit the Yankees. They're the organization that overpays Jeter far beyond what he's worth because it would be embarrassing if he played for someone else.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Mwd711

I think people forget that YankeeNets owned the Devils for a short period of time. YankeeNets was formed as having ownership stakes in the Yankees, Nets, Devils and YES Network.

The goal was to use the Devils and Nets to build up YES and the Prudential Center. The deal fell apart as the New Jersey teams were losing too much money and the Yankee side of the organization didn't want to contribute money to building an arena for those money losing teams. YankeeNets was basically disbanded with the Nets and Devils sold and Vanderbeek spearheaded the Rock being built. The Devils never moved to YES as by the time that the Devils MSG contract was up, Vanderbeek was the owner. He negotiated the extension with MSG.

As mentioned above, one of the only reasons that the Yankees would have any interest in the Isles would be the tv rights but they aren't going anyplace soon. I have doubts they would wanna stomach the cost of building a new arena anyhow as the YankeeNets deal largely fell apart because of those costs.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
4Isles4*

They are all yanks all the way.....why would they even have any interest in anything else...Isee the buisness man side but they would be taking on a huge challenge with the Isles and if they did it would purley be to see if they could do it just for there EGOs....I would love for this to happen but the fact is they have the most lucrative sports franchise in the world...Why venture into somthing else

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote