HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Outdoor game in Florida/Cali?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2010, 03:08 PM
  #1
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 500
Outdoor game in Florida/Cali?

I know this has been beat to death but I just found this and thought it was pretty cool. For those who say it can't be done well this would prove that theory wrong.

Albeit a much smaller rink but it's still doable. Pretty neat.

Also, I loved the Beach Boys music in the background. Ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCjGXhNnyw


Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
  #2
GreatCanadian
Registered User
 
GreatCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
I would think the big issue is: What if it starts raining?

If it is in a cold climate, snow is not as much a factor. They just shovel it/zamboni it or whatever. Rain would be a disaster!

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
  #3
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
It could be done would it appeal to alot not likely.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:32 PM
  #4
selkie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Those kinds of outdoor rinks are actually not that uncommon in places that like to pretend they're tropical. Truth is, they're somewhat marginal even for recreational skating if you want to do more than go around in circles, and I suspect even the NHL's best ice gurus would have problems getting the surface hard enough to play ice hockey on a sheet of it.

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
  #5
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
I would think the big issue is: What if it starts raining?

If it is in a cold climate, snow is not as much a factor. They just shovel it/zamboni it or whatever. Rain would be a disaster!
It rains in California?



I think there would be plenty of interest in an outdoor game somewhere other than the tundra. Don't get me wrong, I love the games in Chicago, Boston and Buffalo but I think it would be really awesome to see one in California or Florida etc..

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
  #6
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,213
vCash: 500
I'd watch

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:02 PM
  #7
triplea112
Registered User
 
triplea112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
yes. winter in california = rain.

but I'd really love an outdoor game in lake tahoe. that would be something.

triplea112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
  #8
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
In the 90s there was a preseason outdoor game in Las Vegas i do not think the temperature would be any problem to getting ice good enough for an outdoor game

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
  #9
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
In the 90s there was a preseason outdoor game in Las Vegas i do not think the temperature would be any problem to getting ice good enough for an outdoor game
For real ice you need to have it around -15 so the ice can freeze.I was in vegas last march and it was one of there colder months of the year and there is no way the ice could freeze even at night.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:49 PM
  #10
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 67,331
vCash: 500
San Jose region (think Candlestick, Stanford, Cal, Oakland Coliseum, and the proposed new 49er stadium in Santa Clara as possible football sites) have great temperatures to maintain outdoor ice (50 and under usually).

The issue is that we have liquid precipitation in the late fall/winter time frame.

Until they have a system that could handle up to 1-2" of rain/hour, it might be hard to ensure there would be good ice.

Florida not only has the wet potential, but also higher temperatures.


(Unless the NHL is willing to play on a synthetic surface, where temperatures wouldn't matter as much or at all.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:04 PM
  #11
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
San Jose region (think Candlestick, Stanford, Cal, Oakland Coliseum, and the proposed new 49er stadium in Santa Clara as possible football sites) have great temperatures to maintain outdoor ice (50 and under usually).

The issue is that we have liquid precipitation in the late fall/winter time frame.

Until they have a system that could handle up to 1-2" of rain/hour, it might be hard to ensure there would be good ice.

Florida not only has the wet potential, but also higher temperatures.


(Unless the NHL is willing to play on a synthetic surface, where temperatures wouldn't matter as much or at all.)
The Sharks playing up in the City would be great for marketing though if they did it'd be at the ballpark.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
  #12
StevenintheATL
Registered User
 
StevenintheATL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The ATL!
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
One problem with a Winter Classic in Florida, other than the new Marlins ballpark, there really isn't a venue they could use as all suitable venues are football stadiums that hold college bowl games during the time period needed to set up a rink.

If the NHL were to do a Winter Classic in California, I think a Kings-Ducks game at Dodger Stadium would be the coolest.

The technology for making ice is good enough that they can lay down and maintain a decent sheet even well above freezing as it is in more southerly climes during the Winter.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:32 PM
  #13
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Exactly.

Sun Life has the Orange Bowl
Raymond James has the Outback Bowl
Bright House Stadium has the Liberty Bowl
Citrus Bowl has the Capital One and Champs Bowls
Jacksonville has the Gator Bowl

I could imagine it at maybe a college stadium like Doak Campbell or the Swamp, but even then they're not close to any NHL teams. Tampa is a good 2 hours easy from Gainesville.

CommunistDayKare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM
  #14
selkie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Florida's dry season is actually over the winter. The bigger problem is that winter temperatures can be pretty variable once you get north of a line from about Sarasota to Melbourne- mid 70s and somewhat humid one week, struggling to hit 60F the next, and all pretty much at the whim of where the jet stream is and how far south the Alberta Clippers can go.

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
  #15
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkie View Post
Those kinds of outdoor rinks are actually not that uncommon in places that like to pretend they're tropical. Truth is, they're somewhat marginal even for recreational skating if you want to do more than go around in circles, and I suspect even the NHL's best ice gurus would have problems getting the surface hard enough to play ice hockey on a sheet of it.
Yup. The Sharks set up Downtown Ice every Christmas - mid-Nov thru mid-Jan.





Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
San Jose region (think Candlestick, Stanford, Cal, Oakland Coliseum, and the proposed new 49er stadium in Santa Clara as possible football sites) have great temperatures to maintain outdoor ice (50 and under usually).
My guess is that the best venue in the Bay Area would be AT&T Park.

NBC would love the backdrop of the bay.

And there is no chance of conflict with NFL playoff games - of course, the same could be said of Candlestick and the Oakland Coliseum.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
  #16
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
The only problem with AT&T would be that stupid bowl game. You'd have to get a rink built quick.

The more I think about it, the more that any outdoor game in the Bay Area would almost certainly be at AT&T Park. Oakland, Candlestick, Spartan..no way the league would go near those dumps and Stanford just isn't as glamorous.

They'd definitely sell more "theatergoer" tickets to AT&T and it'd be a good shot in the arm for the Sharks up in the City in terms of marketing.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
  #17
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
IIRC, the Winter Classic game is marketed by the NHL as a return to the game's traditional outdoor cold weather roots. Playing a game outdoors in 80 degree weather doesn't exactly represent the history. Pursuing an outdoor game in the south as representative of a winter cold weather sport seems sort of silly IMO.

Whatever.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
  #18
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 5,326
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
IIRC, the Winter Classic game is marketed by the NHL as a return to the game's traditional outdoor cold weather roots.
Do they put the games in cold weather venues because they're marketing it that way, or do they market it that way because the games are in cold weather venues.

I believe that it's the latter (and my conclusion is that, if the game were in a warm weather venue, they'd figure out how to market it.)

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
  #19
CC Chiefs*
 
CC Chiefs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Do they put the games in cold weather venues because they're marketing it that way, or do they market it that way because the games are in cold weather venues.

I believe that it's the latter (and my conclusion is that, if the game were in a warm weather venue, they'd figure out how to market it.)
Do you think the non-traditional markets could draw 113,000+ as there was for the MSU vs U of M?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
  #20
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
The Sharks playing up in the City would be great for marketing though if they did it'd be at the ballpark.
What city? If they're gonna go out of town, might as well do Tahoe.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:50 AM
  #21
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Do they put the games in cold weather venues because they're marketing it that way, or do they market it that way because the games are in cold weather venues.

I believe that it's the latter (and my conclusion is that, if the game were in a warm weather venue, they'd figure out how to market it.)
Holding a "winter classic" sans winter seems counter productive, IMO.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:58 AM
  #22
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
The only problem with AT&T would be that stupid bowl game. You'd have to get a rink built quick.

The more I think about it, the more that any outdoor game in the Bay Area would almost certainly be at AT&T Park. Oakland, Candlestick, Spartan..no way the league would go near those dumps and Stanford just isn't as glamorous.

They'd definitely sell more "theatergoer" tickets to AT&T and it'd be a good shot in the arm for the Sharks up in the City in terms of marketing.
Yeah - had forgotten about the San Francsico/Diamond Walnut/Emerald/Kraft Fights Hunger Bowl - Kraft Fights Hunger Bowl

The Pac Bell Park (I still dislike the AT&T name) Bowls have historically been the week before New Years (Dec 26-31), but for some reason is pushed out to Jan 9 this year. I doubt that you could turnaround the park from a late Dec Bowl to a New Year Day WC Game.

I agree that Candlestick and Mount Davis are dumps - and any NFL Stadium has the issue of Regular Season games scheduled immediately before and the possibility of Playoff Games immediately afterwords. I Suppose it could work in a year where the Playoffs start late (like last year and this) and the team is on the road for the last two weeks - but I don't know when the NFL Schedules come out compared to when the WC participants are chosen.

edit: I guess they did make it work at NFL Stadiums in '08 and '11. In '08 the last Bills' home game was Sun Dec 28 and there was a possibility of a home playoff game the following Sat Jan 3. This season, the Steelers' last home game is Thurs Dec 23, followed by a road game on Jan 2 and a potential home playoff game on Jan 9 - a significantly wider window than Buffalo had in the inaugural Winter Classic. Given how the League and NBC has built up the hype, a larger window is probably needed now (on the front end) than the first game.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:50 PM
  #23
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Holding a "winter classic" sans winter seems counter productive, IMO.
Oh right, because parts of the country do not experience colder temperatures half the year due to a tilt in the earth's axis...

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
  #24
selkie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Holding a "winter classic" sans winter seems counter productive, IMO.
We have winter down here, it's just kind of subtle and short compared to what you get in Chicago. Tonight's low is supposed to be a brisk 31F.

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
  #25
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,745
vCash: 500
They had a preseason game in Vegas with 100 degree temperatures during the day and 80 degree temperatures during the game at night, and that was using the technology of 20 years ago. Not only that, but from what I understand the ice was actually TOO cold and started to crack, so they had to warm it up a bit during the game!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.