HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

wolski falling?

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville
Thornton's had a situation like this as well.
Ask me... am I sold on Thornton's character??
Quote:
I don't think this situation is a testament to anything--especially not Wolski's character. As someone else has mentioned earlier: people who are rich or about to strike it big tend to get targetted by opportunists or those who are jealous. It's entirely plausible that Wolski is not to blame at all here.
If he was not to blame at all, then why would the police have charged him with assault? People who are rich or about to strike it big also tend to be arrogant, maybe they think they can crash a party with their posse in tow, and beat on some peasant drunkard who has the audacity to tell them they're not wanted. Well, it can go any number of ways. At any rate, Wolski probably had some inkling before the altercation escalated that his presence was unwanted, and in his situation, he should have been content to just go. No need to give opportunists the opportunity.
Quote:
As such, I don't think it would have an effect on his draft status--at least on the surface.
I imagine it will tie in with how individual teams have already pegged him from the interviews and so on. If they think he's a choirboy and was wronged, it will have no effect. If they saw something that gave them some nagging questions, this will probably amplify those questions and slide him down.
Quote:
NHL organizations that are looking to draft Wolski will know more about the situation and will get a chance to speak to him about it. That part of things could have an effect, but we're not privvy to any such information, so it also isn't our place to state that it will have an effect with any certainty.
With certainty, it WILL have an effect. At least insofar as causing discussion amongst any teams who were thinking of taking him, and causing them to make some additional inquiries. Whether those additional discussions or inquiries will ultimately affect his draft position or not, we don't know. Yet. We'll see on Saturday. But it *will* be talked about.

Old
06-22-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Ask me... am I sold on Thornton's character??
To be frank: it doesn't matter. He's a premiere player and is among the elite players in the game. Any team would pay a whole lot to have him.

Quote:
If he was not to blame at all, then why would the police have charged him with assault?
Because a person's charged doesn't make them guilty. The fact that Wolski's been charged is irrelevant to whether he's to blame or not.

Quote:
With certainty, it WILL have an effect. At least insofar as causing discussion amongst any teams who were thinking of taking him, and causing them to make some additional inquiries.
That has nothing to do with whether it'll effect his draft ranking, which is what I was referring to.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville
To be frank: it doesn't matter. He's a premiere player and is among the elite players in the game. Any team would pay a whole lot to have him.
But if any team had the choice between a player of Thornton's character and Iginla's character, who would they choose? All other things being equal, the character issue DOES matter. That's the point of this Wolski thing. It won't make him stop being a highly-touted draft prospect because of his hockey skills. But he was probably approximately equal to as many as 10 players on many teams' scouting lists in this year's draft. All such things being equal, then, the questions raised by this event WILL cause some teams to nudge him behind some other otherwise-equal players.
Quote:
Because a person's charged doesn't make them guilty. The fact that Wolski's been charged is irrelevant to whether he's to blame or not.
It sounds like he's "to blame" no matter how you slice it. The question is WHAT is he to blame for? Guilt or innocence doesn't even enter into it at this stage. And the police charges are NOT "irrelevant". They may be proven to be mistaken, but if they were "irrelevant" then we would not even be discussing the story, and it would never have been mentioned in the newspapers.

Old
06-23-2004, 07:49 AM
eddy

If you look at Wolski's size and stats he looks great but from what i've heard of his play and attitude may scare me a way a bit though all in all if he would drop to 18 i wouldn't be dissapointed if the habs took him. Big, but i heard not very aggressive, if somone could get him to get a bit of a mean streak going he could be the scoring power forward were desperetly in need of but i havn't seen him play so maybe there is no way to change his style.

Last edited by eddy: 06-23-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old
06-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
not at all... ahahaha how come? That doesn't make him more physical on the ice! lol
I was being facetious, well halfways anyways. What I meant in a playful way is that he's always been seen as a sleeping giant, not really agressive, kind of a Dagenais (If that's not a softie...) but better rated. With this incident at least we do he's alive that he can atleast capable of having a mean streak. I know it doesn't translate on the ice but I was wondering if this guy was suffering from the telflon syndrome!

Closed Thread