HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Avalanche - 12/21/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-22-2010, 12:18 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
Well I finally figured this board out. When the Kings lose, it's ALL Murray's fault because he dressed the wrong guys or used the wrong line combinations. When the Kings win, his name is never mentioned and he had nothing to do with it. It took me a while, but at least now I know what I'm supposed to post after every win/loss...

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Visiting team hands their lineup in first so Sacco scratched Koci since Westy wasn't in.
Mistake on Sacco's part?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:07 PM
wicker

This was an amazing game. The entire team played like they had some serious **** to take care of, and they did.

Still, they are so inconsistent from one game to the next. Man.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
This was an amazing game. The entire team played like they had some serious **** to take care of, and they did.

Still, they are so inconsistent from one game to the next. Man.
Last night was basically a flawless game for the Kings. The only time they really felt pressure was during one Colorado power play, and aside from that it was basically all Kings. It seemed like the culmination of improvements since St. Louis. That game against Chicago I thought was relatively good. They were clearly more focused and more structured, but lost because of some mistakes. Last night though, was another level.

At the same time, we have to remember that there are two teams out there. I haven't read their GDT, but I'm sure Colorado fans are unhappy with their team, in particular the way that both Shattenkirk and Fleischman got burned in defensive situations which lead to goals. We look at those plays and say "wow, isn't our team good!" but our guys look pretty good against any team that has an off game. So, inconsistency is there, but so are other teams.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...-kopitar/5550/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs blogger
Tonight, the very good Kings gave the Colorado Avalanche a very good shellacking at the Can.
I really think these Kings can win the next Stanley Cup. Iím having a hard time coming up with areas of weakness on that team. Theyíre big, fast, strong, skilled, hungry. Whatís missing here?

Anze Kopitar was a monster tonight. He just overpowered anyone near him on a couple of end-around rushes, a couple that led to Kings goals. And Drew Doughty was just superb on the back end, playing dominant hockey at both ends.

But enough about the Kings. The Avs tonight? Definitely didnít bring any desperation to the rink, and I hate using that buzzword. But they didnít. They just seemed to play like they needed an invitation from the Kings before thinking they could go ahead and do anything tonight.

But the fact is, the Avs just donít match up well against the Kings. Theyíre too big. And not slow either. The Kings could cycle with the puck at will all night. Anytime the Avs had the puck in the L.A. zone, they had to make panicky decisions with it, before another hulking King came over.

Duchene, Fleischmann and Jones were bad tonight. Flash was definitely loafing back on L.A.ís third goal, and Jones seems kind of, well, not engaged out there too much these days.
Pretty good to hear from an out-of-town blogger, though I might disagree with him about Jones. Several of Colorado's best chances came off of his stick, and he and Dechene were the most dangerous Colorado players out there.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:40 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

That's pretty high praise from Adrian Dater saying the Kings can be the next Cup winner. I don't know about THAT but that's certainly music to my ears when opponents writers start calling us Cup contenders.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
This was one of those games you save on Tivo for the offseason

Boba Fettuccine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
BigBrown
Now what will we do?

Tonight, the very good Kings gave the Colorado Avalanche a very good shellacking at the Can.
I really think these Kings can win the next Stanley Cup. I’m having a hard time coming up with areas of weakness on that team. They’re big, fast, strong, skilled, hungry. What’s missing here?

Consistency. When the Kings are hungry and confident, they're as good as anyone. Unfortunately they have yet to show that on a consistent basis.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroper View Post
Don't post much, but read often. What's better than shutting out the top scoring team in their barn while they were on a tear? Watching it again on Aves TV at a bar in CO.

Priceless
Nice!!

I too was in kind of a hostile environment: at Staples watching the Lakers get blown out by the Bucks (I was given the tix, so I had to go). Laker crowds are BORING...!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
BamBam1031

I woke up this morning, and the first thing that went through my head was Kopi's between the legs shot last night. Wow.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
I woke up this morning, and the first thing that went through my head was Kopi's between the legs shot last night. Wow.
Overshare...

Old
12-22-2010, 03:21 PM
BamBam1031

TMI? Sorry.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Gross.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
This was one of those games you save on Tivo for the offseason
I replay game 3 of the Vancouver series last year on similar occasions.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I was at the game & sitting about 11 rows behind the Kings bench, so I wanted to add something that probably didn't come thru on TV.

The Williams PPG at the end of game unfolded in a very interesting way. Kompon was responsible for sending out the unit, and it was initially very confused. Williams was lined up at RW and they only had 4 guys on the ice. Left point was empty. Kompon sent Simmonds out. Simmer and Williams were confused for a moment, and suddenly JW realized he should play the left point. Clearly it was a kind of impromptu experiment.

TM and Kompon had a quick back-&-forth - looked to me like TM asking Kompon what the hell he was doing.

Then, tic-tac-toe, JW with the one-timer top-shelf.

Kompon looked back at TM with a big 'I-told-you-so' smile.

Aside from all of that, and all that's been mentioned in the thread, I thought Lewis was one of the best players on the ice.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Brown shouldn't be on the first line.
... Well, if you want to compare Brown to the other right wings in the league, he's tied for ninth in scoring, with Justin Williams.

But let's say you want to compare Brown to the other left wingers in the league because that's where he's playing. OK. Brown's tied for ninth in scoring among left wingers, with James Neal.

Not only that, Brown's +15 rating is higher than anyone in the top ten, among both right wingers AND left wingers.

The fact of the matter is that Brown is on the first line because he belongs there.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Did anyone notice that Terry tried a shift with Sturm-Kopitar-Brown in the 3rd period?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sturm on the 1st line by this Sunday, and maybe even tomorrow if the Kings are trailing in the 3rd.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
New thread for fighting discussion here

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=856243

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
That's pretty high praise from Adrian Dater saying the Kings can be the next Cup winner. I don't know about THAT but that's certainly music to my ears when opponents writers start calling us Cup contenders.
Unfortunately, I agree...I was getting excited at 12-3 but then reality set in, and when we went 1-7 I knew this team was still not ready.

This last road trip was perhaps the most telling...they ****ed Detroit, Nashville, and Colorado, all hot teams, but totally took a **** with St. Louis and Chicago...they have to BRING IT every night...the team is very young and talented but still have lapses, and in this league, in 2009, 2010, and 2011, you have to be better than maybe teams had to be 10 years ago.

There are just too many contenders...and the West is brutal. I said this last year and it is especially true this year: anyone coming out of the West not only deserves but will win the Cup.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Unfortunately, I agree...I was getting excited at 12-3 but then reality set in, and when we went 1-7 I knew this team was still not ready.

This last road trip was perhaps the most telling...they ****ed Detroit, Nashville, and Colorado, all hot teams, but totally took a **** with St. Louis and Chicago...they have to BRING IT every night...the team is very young and talented but still have lapses, and in this league, in 2009, 2010, and 2011, you have to be better than maybe teams had to be 10 years ago.

There are just too many contenders...and the West is brutal. I said this last year and it is especially true this year: anyone coming out of the West not only deserves but will win the Cup.
The Kings are already contenders in the West now...inconsistent or not. We still have more than half the season left, and by now, this young team knows that come April, that's when you better be ready.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:48 PM
R0CKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I was at the game & sitting about 11 rows behind the Kings bench, so I wanted to add something that probably didn't come thru on TV.

The Williams PPG at the end of game unfolded in a very interesting way. Kompon was responsible for sending out the unit, and it was initially very confused. Williams was lined up at RW and they only had 4 guys on the ice. Left point was empty. Kompon sent Simmonds out. Simmer and Williams were confused for a moment, and suddenly JW realized he should play the left point. Clearly it was a kind of impromptu experiment.

TM and Kompon had a quick back-&-forth - looked to me like TM asking Kompon what the hell he was doing.

Then, tic-tac-toe, JW with the one-timer top-shelf.

Kompon looked back at TM with a big 'I-told-you-so' smile.

Aside from all of that, and all that's been mentioned in the thread, I thought Lewis was one of the best players on the ice.
I was also there and I noticed LA looked like there was some confusion and they had a dman missing and then here are 4 forwards on the ice. So I thought maybe it was a mistake because why would LA go 4 fwds being up 4-0 late in the 3rd?

Before the faceoff it seemed kind of weird then, a big bang and that puck was in the net rattling around the inside shelf bar.

So is this the new answer for the PP, 4 fwds?

Anyhow, Willie REALLY jacked that one it was a true thing of beauty.

R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Kings need to build off this win, its nice to end a road trip with a win and winning record on a five game roadie. I think the Kings will start their climb in the standings since we got a nice slate of home games coming up and we are 11-2 at home.

Hopefully they put together another impressive winning streak.
You mean the 4 games in 5 nights slate? Just saying.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
This last road trip was perhaps the most telling...they ****ed Detroit, Nashville, and Colorado, all hot teams, but totally took a **** with St. Louis and Chicago...they have to BRING IT every night..
Not picking on this post in particular but I see this sentiment a lot and it seems really unrealistic. They went 3-2 on one of the tougher 5 game road trips possible, and beat 3 great teams by a total of 16-1. They didn't play poorly in any game. St. Louis played fantastic against the Kings and totally earned the win. The Chicago game was a hard fought battle against the Stanley Cup Champions. Of course everyone wants to win every night but to expect to, especially on the road, is a little silly.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote